Lake Eerie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is so true. I emailed all my schools on monday asking for a status update and then this week I got 3 interviews...

How did you go about asking them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Received the mysterious portal update------> "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Received this pre-interview (secondary submitted 9/12)...from searching the forum it seems this was usually sent for post-interview as opposed to the altnerative pre-interview status update of "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. We will notify you in 30 days"
Did anyone who received this status update on their portal receive the actual letter via snail mail? Have not received any email or information about the masters program. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the mysterious portal update------> "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Received this pre-interview (secondary submitted 9/12)...from searching the forum it seems this was usually sent for post-interview as opposed to the altnerative pre-interview status update of "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. We will notify you in 30 days"
Did anyone who received this status update on their portal receive the actual letter via snail mail? Have not received any email or information about the masters program. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Got the same update. Pretty sure this means, as Marv Albert might say, REJECTED!!

II today via phone call! I'm so stoked for this school. What an awesome day.

II today via phone call! I'm so stoked for this school. What an awesome day.
+1!!! They told me to come in on Friday, but I'm flying out for a conference so I asked if they had another date available. They then told me that they didn't have anything set up for right now but they'd call me when there was an opening within the next week. Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
Withdrew my application from here. I had an interview scheduled. I hope it goes to one of you all

Portal status change. But no email yet. Does this mean II?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations you have been selected for an interview

They will most likely call you shortly to schedule an interview... or there might be a way to pick and schedule an interview date on the portal. IDK, they called me, maybe someone else can chime in and clarify.

They will most likely call you shortly to schedule an interview... or there might be a way to pick and schedule an interview date on the portal. IDK, they called me, maybe someone else can chime in and clarify.

There was options on my portal so I just picked one . Maybe I'll call them tomorrow to ask? Not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, when were you complete if you don't mind? Also what dates were they offering? Thank you in advance!

Got email this morning. Complete 8/26. They offered nov 18 and 21. Two in early dec too, dont remember exactly. Can't see it since I picked a date already ☹️.

Reactions: 1 users
Got email this morning. Complete 8/26. They offered nov 18 and 21. Two in early dec too, dont remember exactly. Can't see it since I picked a date already ☹️.

They didn't offer me any dates besides 11/4 and didn't send me an email to select one on the admissions page (my status still says it's under review). Should I call them about that?

EDIT: They called back this morning. I'll be interviewing on 11/14!

Last edited:
They didn't offer me any dates besides 11/4 and didn't send me an email to select one on the admissions page (my status still says it's under review). Should I call them about that?

Yeah maybe try calling. Maybe they just opened up since people are canceling? I don't believe everyone gets the drop down menu on the portal tho, some people get phone calls instead. I don't know how they decide who gets what.

Congrats on your interview invite! :) would you mind sharing your stats?
I am still playing a cat and mouse game with this school lol

Do any you guys understand exactly how rotations work? It seems like you are put into a group of LECOM students that you have to commit to early on. What if I want to do a residency at some weird field that no one else wants to? Or at a location no one else wants to? Any input would be appreciated (especially from a LECOM OMS).

I'm a 2nd year. You are put into a group in the fall semester of 2nd year but this doesn't really mean much because you can switch groups and you still rank your rotation preferences individually. I don't really understand why we have these groups lol. We have year-longs for 3rd year. About half of the class stays in Florida & the rest goes to the northeast. If you want to arrange your own rotations for 3rd year, you are able to do so but it's not that easy. The desirable hospitals often have contracts with other medical schools so they won't take you for 3rd year. For 4th year, you set up your rotations on your own because you are doing electives and audition rotations. You arrange that though VSAS like every other medical student. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your interview invite! :) would you mind sharing your stats?
I am still playing a cat and mouse game with this school lol

Yes ofc. 3.80 cgpa 3.77 sgpa 506 mcat. Good luck to you!

I'm a 2nd year. You are put into a group in the fall semester of 2nd year but this doesn't really mean much because you can switch groups and you still rank your rotation preferences individually. I don't really understand why we have these groups lol. We have year-longs for 3rd year. About half of the class stays in Florida & the rest goes to the northeast. If you want to arrange your own rotations for 3rd year, you are able to do so but it's not that easy. The desirable hospitals often have contracts with other medical schools so they won't take you for 3rd year. For 4th year, you set up your rotations on your own because you are doing electives and audition rotations. You arrange that though VSAS like every other medical student. Hope this helps.

This does help! Thank you for the clarification! :) Are the 3rd year rotations ward based or preceptor based?

This does help! Thank you for the clarification! :) Are the 3rd year rotations ward based or preceptor based?

They are trying to make sure that we are only rotating at hospitals with residency programs but not every hospital has a program in every speciality. I think all of the hospitals we currently rotate at have internal medicine programs, and some have peds & ob/gyn. It will likely be a combination of ward based/preceptor based rotations. The person in charge of setting up our rotations understands the importance for ward-based clinical education and he is trying to arrange rotations at hospitals with more residency programs. The situation may be better by the time you start rotations. Our rotations still need a lot of work (like at many other DO schools), so do keep that in mind when making your final decision.

They are trying to make sure that we are only rotating at hospitals with residency programs but not every hospital has a program in every speciality. I think all of the hospitals we currently rotate at have internal medicine programs, and some have peds & ob/gyn. It will likely be a combination of ward based/preceptor based rotations. The person in charge of setting up our rotations understands the importance for ward-based clinical education and he is trying to arrange rotations at hospitals with more residency programs. The situation may be better by the time you start rotations. Our rotations still need a lot of work (like at many other DO schools), so do keep that in mind when making your final decision.

Thank you for the response! Excuse if I'm being dense but when a hospital has a "formal residency program," it means that if you are rotating, it is a ward based rotation right? LECOM seems like an awesome school, but it's pretty much only the rotations and the administration that concerns me. I hear good and bad things about them and the last thing I want is to have extra stress from the administration from my own school. I can deal with formal attire and no drinking/eating outside of the cafe but the former may be a deal breaker.

Thank you for the response! Excuse if I'm being dense but when a hospital has a "formal residency program," it means that if you are rotating, it is a ward based rotation right? LECOM seems like an awesome school, but it's pretty much only the rotations and the administration that concerns me. I hear good and bad things about them and the last thing I want is to have extra stress from the administration from my own school. I can deal with formal attire and no drinking/eating outside of the cafe but the former may be a deal breaker.

Yes. If there is a residency program, you will likely be working with a team of interns, residents and attendings. This is what you want because it will be similar to how things will be when you are a resident.

This is great information thank you for replying and letting us know. You do well on your COMLEX 1? Also, did you take the USMLE? I'm hopeful to get an interview here and see what this peer-based learning is all about. Do you feel that the education you got was good enough for your satisfaction? And also did you train in hospitals that you feel you will get a residency in?

I haven't seen much traffic regarding interviews lately, have there been a round of interviews going out to anyone?

This is great information thank you for replying and letting us know. You do well on your COMLEX 1? Also, did you take the USMLE? I'm hopeful to get an interview here and see what this peer-based learning is all about. Do you feel that the education you got was good enough for your satisfaction? And also did you train in hospitals that you feel you will get a residency in?

I haven't seen much traffic regarding interviews lately, have there been a round of interviews going out to anyone?

I am a 2nd year so I have not taken the boards yet or started my rotations. We are highly recommended to take the USMLE due to the merger so I will be taking it. I can't comment personally on the quality of the clinical education but I have heard mixed reviews from older students. Some had really great experiences and others did not. I think that this is a common issue with DO schools. I also don't know when they offer interviews. It is likely that interviews are still going out because this is about the time that I received mine. They will slow down once it gets closer to the holidays, but they pick back up in January and they interview pretty late into spring.

I am a 2nd year so I have not taken the boards yet or started my rotations. We are highly recommended to take the USMLE due to the merger so I will be taking it. I can't comment personally on the quality of the clinical education but I have heard mixed reviews from older students. Some had really great experiences and others did not. I think that this is a common issue with DO schools. I also don't know when they offer interviews. It is likely that interviews are still going out because this is about the time that I received mine. They will slow down once it gets closer to the holidays, but they pick back up in January and they interview pretty late into spring.

Cool. Thanks for getting back. You don't have any clinical experience until 3rd year? I've seen a lot of schools have clinical experience starting the first semester.

Yeah, I imagine I'm getting pretty close to the holiday slow down. I don't know. I haven't seen many people commenting about it so we'll see.

Cool. Thanks for getting back. You don't have any clinical experience until 3rd year? I've seen a lot of schools have clinical experience starting the first semester.

Yeah, I imagine I'm getting pretty close to the holiday slow down. I don't know. I haven't seen many people commenting about it so we'll see.

We have standardized patient encounters where we learn to take a history and examine a patient. We do not have required shadowing or anything like that. You are more than welcome to arrange that on your own though.

We have standardized patient encounters where we learn to take a history and examine a patient. We do not have required shadowing or anything like that. You are more than welcome to arrange that on your own though.

Good deal. Are you guys able to rotate at Brandon regional or Tampa general in your 3rd year?

Withdrew my acceptance! Good luck everyone!

admission status says that a decision has been made. is there any way to find out if we are accepted or not before the letter comes in?

Call them and ask for a status update on your application if it's been over 6 weeks since your file has been complete. No way it can be a coincidence that I called yesterday leaving a message and then got the call this morning to schedule the interview.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile
I want to try this but do not know who to email. Should I just email the head of admissions?

Dam, got waitlisted. Felt like I killed this interview also. Oh well, not heartbroken at all. Hope the rest of you guys get good news soon!

I want to try this but do not know who to email. Should I just email the head of admissions?
The squeaky wheel gets the oil my friend. Call (941) 756-0690 and leave a message if they don't respond .

Still under review...*sigh*

Thinking about reaching out if there is no change by Thanksgiving time. What do you guys think? It's been since late July that I submitted my secondary.

Just withdrew from my II for November 21st. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys.

Just withdrew my II for 11/18. I'm hoping one of you will be able to get the spot.

I'm getting pretty concerned. My supplemental application was received and confirmed on 9/13. It's been two months since I've heard back... I emailed them on 10/13 and they said my application was "under review." Should I contact them again or wait...?

Can anyone who's interviewed already PM me with advice for the interview? I have mine this Friday and I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
September 16th
Same here! I got accepted from that interview date as well. Not 100% sure if I'll end up attending but it seems likely.

Regardless, there needs to be a FB group for the class of 2021.

Same here! I got accepted from that interview date as well. Not 100% sure if I'll end up attending but it seems likely.

Regardless, there needs to be a FB group for the class of 2021.
I think I sat next to you when we were in the main room.