Mayo 2009!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it safe to safe that the february appointments went out already? If I wasn't called do I receive an email letting me know that I have been put on hold or is it just assumed? Thanks for the help!

some appointments went out early February. If you haven't received a hold email yet that means you weren't ranked when the previous batch went out in early February.

If the next appointment is March 13th, then you probably won't get a hold email. You'll probably either be accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

So is it safe to safe that the february appointments went out already? If I wasn't called do I receive an email letting me know that I have been put on hold or is it just assumed? Thanks for the help!

First you get an email letting you know you've been ranked. Then, after you've been ranked, the next time they give out appointments you'd get the hold email if you didn't receive an appointment at that time.

So, if you received your ranking email after the last appointments went out, you wouldn't have received a hold email yet. Rather, you'd receive an appointment around mid-March, or an alternate list spot or rejection soon thereafter. Good luck!

You will get an email if placed on hold and a call if accepted. Either way, you'll know where you stand. Because you haven't heard anything, you have not yet been reviewed for accept/hold.

Have you been ranked yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get an email if placed on hold and a call if accepted. Either way, you'll know where you stand. Because you haven't heard anything, you have not yet been reviewed for accept/hold.

Have you been ranked yet?

Yes I was ranked February 19th. When I interviewed in January Marcy said that I would probably be eligible for a round of appointments that would go out towards the end of February and once more in the middle of March.

i was also ranked on the 19th. So was there a release at the end of feburary? Cast mentioned that you only hear about WL or rejection after the 15th? does that mean acceptances go out first? sorry, im just nervous and lost. How do u guys contact mayo? can i just call them? or email?

i was also ranked on the 19th. So was there a release at the end of feburary? Cast mentioned that you only hear about WL or rejection after the 15th? does that mean acceptances go out first? sorry, im just nervous and lost. How do u guys contact mayo? can i just call them? or email?

Hey again. So I checked in on a few things for you. There have not been any acceptances issued since the beginning of February. As such, you are ranked and eligible for an acceptance when they are released next. It sounds like they will only be issuing acceptances one more time before the class is full and this will most likely occur after the last committee meeting on march 12th. If you do not get an acceptance on this date you will get a hold email and then shortly after the 15th everyone who is one hold (didn't get an acceptance) will be waitlisted or rejected. Hope this helps.

hello fellow Mayo lovers!

just an update: Marcy believes the next round of appointments will got out March 13th and then waitlist/rejection decisions will go out March 16/17.

hope that helped!

also...does anyone has a guestimate for the # of acceptances going out for the VERY LAST ROUND?? Ahhhh..I hope there is a lot! :thumbup:

hello fellow Mayo lovers!

just an update: Marcy believes the next round of appointments will got out March 13th and then waitlist/rejection decisions will go out March 16/17.

hope that helped!

also...does anyone has a guestimate for the # of acceptances going out for the VERY LAST ROUND?? Ahhhh..I hope there is a lot! :thumbup:

I talked to Marcy about this a week or so ago and she said that they will be 'over-booking' the class slightly this year anticipating that some people will go elsewhere. She said anywhere from 8-13 appointments will go out. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

I talked to Marcy about this a week or so ago and she said that they will be 'over-booking' the class slightly this year anticipating that some people will go elsewhere. She said anywhere from 8-13 appointments will go out. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

thanks Cast! 8-13, that's a good fraction of the final class but of course, I bet we're all wishing for a lot more acceptances. good luck to you too! I'm on hold so I don't think the chances of actually getting off hold -> acceptance are that high vs. getting off hold -> waitlist or rejection. but one can dream! :luck:

thanks Cast! 8-13, that's a good fraction of the final class but of course, I bet we're all wishing for a lot more acceptances. good luck to you too! I'm on hold so I don't think the chances of actually getting off hold -> acceptance are that high vs. getting off hold -> waitlist or rejection. but one can dream! :luck:

Sigh... Goodbye dream school :(

boooo, poor attitude copperfrog. keep your head up!

37 of the 42 MD spots have been spoken for. Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
dam, im really bitter... i hate my state school, waiting for wl there. I can't wait for friday

I just had a mini heart attack ... I measured my "resting" heart rate at 13 beats / 6 seconds...

Email Subject: Mayo Clinic Appointment Cancellation

I thought I was rejected, but I'm guessing it's just a computer glitch that this sent out? It says in the email that my interview appointment from october was cancelled.

At least I'll have about 10 days of relief before dreading the actual rejection, or hopefully, an alternate list email on the first Monday of my spring break.

I just had a mini heart attack ... I measured my "resting" heart rate at 13 beats / 6 seconds...

I thought I was rejected, but I'm guessing it's just a computer glitch that this sent out? It says in the email that my interview appointment from october was cancelled.

At least I'll have about 10 days of relief before dreading the actual rejection, or hopefully, an alternate list email on the first Monday of my spring break.

Haha, yeah what was that about? :p

Thanks, Mayo, I already get the picture :thumbdown:

Jesus Christ that scared the **** out of me.

Jesus Christ that scared the **** out of me.

SAME! I woke up from a nap and downloaded my e-mail onto my phone to see the subject "Mayo Clinic Appointment Cancellation." Panic ensued, but eventually I figured out it was a glitch.

Jeez, leave it to Mayo to call their acceptances, "appointments."

SAME! I woke up from a nap and downloaded my e-mail onto my phone to see the subject "Mayo Clinic Appointment Cancellation." Panic ensued, but eventually I figured out it was a glitch.

Jeez, leave it to Mayo to call their acceptances, "appointments."

Haha, OMG, so glad everyone else got that too. I'm guessing they're just clearing their schedule for next year or something.

On another note - anybody going up to Rochester soon for a second look? I'm considering going March 19-22.

Haha, OMG, so glad everyone else got that too. I'm guessing they're just clearing their schedule for next year or something.

On another note - anybody going up to Rochester soon for a second look? I'm considering going March 19-22.

Does mayo do anything for you if you tell them you'll be visiting for a second look?

I feel like it'd be pointless if I went up to Rochester by myself ...

For what it's worth, I got that email too, and I interviewed in December 2007!

I just contacted Marcy, and apparently the following email was just sent out for clarification of this issue:

Dear Mayo Medical School applicant,

I have received several e-mails from applicants informing me about the
e-mail that went out yesterday with regard to your INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT
being cancelled. As we were making some upgrades to our system for next
year, this note was inadvertently sent to you from Time Trade informing
you that your interview was cancelled. Please disregard this e-mail.

At this point, you are still being considered for our 2009 application
season. We will inform you via e-mail as any updates are made to your
application.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I apologize
for the confusion.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Have any other Floridians or people from the southeast been accepted?

Also, if you interviewed on October 7th and are/get accepted, give me a shout! :)

Does mayo do anything for you if you tell them you'll be visiting for a second look?

I feel like it'd be pointless if I went up to Rochester by myself ...

I just emailed Marcy yesterday to ask if I could attend a class while I'm up there, and she said of course I could and asked if there was anyone I wanted to meet with because she would be happy to set that up too. I've also talked to a couple of students and they were more than willing to give me tours of Mayo and/or Rochester and answer any questions I might have.

So, I'll be attending a class, meeting with a couple of the faculty (ie fin aid), maybe going on a tour, looking at several apts, and maybe going out for some drinks with current students. I'm already set on Mayo, but I need to look at housing and thought I would try to get a feel for the school while I'm there.

For what it's worth, I got that email too, and I interviewed in December 2007!

I just contacted Marcy, and apparently the following email was just sent out for clarification of this issue:

Yea I got that email from Marcy this morning.

It's funny that 2012's also got the appointment cancelled email though.

I just emailed Marcy yesterday to ask if I could attend a class while I'm up there, and she said of course I could and asked if there was anyone I wanted to meet with because she would be happy to set that up too. I've also talked to a couple of students and they were more than willing to give me tours of Mayo and/or Rochester and answer any questions I might have.

So, I'll be attending a class, meeting with a couple of the faculty (ie fin aid), maybe going on a tour, looking at several apts, and maybe going out for some drinks with current students. I'm already set on Mayo, but I need to look at housing and thought I would try to get a feel for the school while I'm there.

When you do decide to go, post it on the facebook group and shoot me a pm. I live relatively close and would be happy to come up and meet some of my future classmates.

any chance we'll hear form mayo today? or is it still the 13th?

Does this mean acceptances went out today?

Did anyone else get this email?

Just got the hold email as well! :(:(:( I really hope acceptances didn't go out~ oh well, I knew that this school was a long shot for me anyways!

I wonder if I've sunk into hold-list oblivion...

I just got the hold too :(

It's weird that we got this notification even though appointments aren't supposed to go out until the 13th. Any thoughts about this?

Is it much too optimistic to hope that they just sent this hold email to everyone, since Phoenix said they would not be giving acceptances till the 13th?

Kind of a way to touch base with us?

Am I in denial?

I was contemplating the same idea..I really don't know

Apparently six acceptances went out today.

Unfortunate news, TrillyPop...

So apparently, all we have left to cling onto is the possibility of the alternate list?

That sucks that more acceptances went out today and no one from SDN seemed to get in.....lets all hope for an alternate list and lots of movement!

Waiting: :love:
cast128: interviewed 11/21, Ranked 1/8, Hold 1/23
copingmethods: interviewed 10/17, Ranked 12/11, Hold 12/23
nwitek: interviewed 10/06, ranked 10/24, Hold 11/24
Poiu86: interviewed 10/20, ranked 11/06, Hold 11/24
Regley: interviewed 11/03, ranked 12/18, Hold 12/23
Zpiff: interviewed 11/03, ranked 11/13, Hold 11/24

Accepted: :biglove:
azuldelcielo: ranked 1/23, accepted 2/05
DoctorDeMan: accepted 11/24
knuck000: interviewed 10/06, accepted 11/24
nameloc: interviewed 10/17, accepted 11/24
PremedIowa: accepted 1/23
thegetupkid: interviewed 10/06, ranked: 10/14, accepted: 10/15

Total acceptances given out to date: 37
(45-50)-43=2-7 appointments to be given before 03/15

These numbers are assuming they still plan on over-booking the class

i haven't even gotten a ranking email or hold email yet. i interviewed in the beginning of february though....but if all the acceptances went out today...i am just confused. : (

so i haven't checked this in a long time...thought i'd check today to see if anyone else got the same bad news. it's weird because i called the admissions office yesterday and the lady i spoke to (not Marcy, but I can't remember her name), said that the next time acceptances would go out would be on March 16th, not even the 13th. did someone call to find out that 6 acceptances went out today?

i was wondering about that too...when i interviewed i was told that the next batch of acceptances would not go out until mid-march...hmm...

i haven't even gotten a ranking email or hold email yet. i interviewed in the beginning of february though....but if all the acceptances went out today...i am just confused. : (

According to Marcy, they will be overbooking the class there will still be a few appointments made late next week or early the following week. Everyone will be ranked by this coming Thursday so you will be eligible for the last round. Hope this helps.

I am a 2nd year here at Mayo. If you are thinking of coming to visit Mayo for a second look, feel free to PM me. If you are looking for housing, I could give you some tips and give you a tour of the place a live in if possible. Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw it in there that I was waitlisted on friday too

got the hold email here as well. :(

For those who have been on hold/waitlisted, I feel your pain. I have been on hold since October, and am still waiting for the good word from Mayo. Good luck to everyone!

does anyone know how many people usually get alternate listed?

i dont know if i missed sumthin, how come some people were waitlisted and others were put on hold the same day?

i dont know if i missed sumthin, how come some people were waitlisted and others were put on hold the same day?

they are most likely referring to the hold as waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.