Michigan or University of Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some input here. Trying to decide between these two schools. I am OOS at both. I am interested in IM, open to primary care or IM specialty. No financial aid info yet. I loved both schools, both were a great fit. I would love to hear from others' experiences as med students or applicants at these schools. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate some input here. Trying to decide between these two schools. I am OOS at both. I am interested in IM, open to primary care or IM specialty. No financial aid info yet. I loved both schools, both were a great fit. I would love to hear from others' experiences as med students or applicants at these schools. Thanks.

I dont think you choose those schools.....they choose you!!

First, did you get accepted to both?

UMichigan and UW are both excellent schools that can get you to your career objectives. Since you feel positively about both, I would let annual cost of attending drive my decision first. After that, consider distance from home, curriculum type, weather, local cost of living, safety or the area, clinical rotation sites, research opportunities, etc. drive the decision. Have you submittd your FAFSA?

Hanging out in the school-specific forums in Allo Med will help you get a feel for other intangible issues that might make a difference to you, as current med students often give their input on things like whether attendance is required, downloadable lecture availability, administrative support, current political issues, curriculum changes planned.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMichigan and UW are both excellent schools that can get you to your career objectives. Since you feel positively about both, I would let annual cost of attending drive my decision first. After that, consider distance from home, curriculum type, weather, local cost of living, safety or the area, clinical rotation sites, research opportunities, etc. drive the decision. Have you submittd your FAFSA?

Hanging out in the school-specific forums in Allo Med will help you get a feel for other intangible issues that might make a difference to you, as current med students often give their input on things like whether attendance is required, downloadable lecture availability, administrative support, current political issues, curriculum changes planned.
I am thinking through those areas, and waiting to hear on financial aid packages. But would love to hear the perspective of others with first-hand experience. Good tip on the school specific forums. Glancing at them in the past, it seemed like so much chit chat that it was hard to find useful info, but hadn't thought to look for posts from students/residents. Thanks.

MICHIGAAAAAAAN

Okay, I'm biased here, because I have arseloads of experience with U of M hospital, although from a patient's experience and not a worker's. My sibling was in the hospital for almost a year, I would spend the night sleeping in the big brown armchair in their room once or twice a week. The doctors are fabulous and EVERYONE I know who works there loves it to death. If you need help with parking, directions, etc, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out. Other than that I can't help, because I am not a student there, but it's really a great place and I don't know anyone who doesn't think so.

Last edited:
So any input from med students or residents at UM or UW???

Follow the money.

Thanks much, hadn't seen that. Is WAMC not the right forum for school X vs school Y questions?

Yeah, they're usually moved to school-specific discussions. WAMC is more for applicants looking for which schools to apply to and to judge how likely they are to get in

Yeah, they're usually moved to school-specific discussions. WAMC is more for applicants looking for which schools to apply to and to judge how likely they are to get in
Oops.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.