Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
@Pusheen @tessellations baby stories bump!

20120211.gif

:rofl: yasss, I'm flattered that you remember I work with babies.

Relevant to this, it's always so hilarious to me when parents refuse things like needlesticks and glucose checks for their newborn because ''it'll hurt him''....after spending 24-48 hours squeezing the poor thing out by his head

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Relevant to this, it's always so hilarious to me when parents refuse things like needlesticks and glucose checks for their newborn because ''it'll hurt him''....after spending 24-48 hours squeezing the poor thing out by his head

Yeah, babies don't remember jack squat. I think I read somewhere that there's a compound in milk that works similarly to endorphins and dulls the pain of growing at such a quick rate in infancy. This also causes opiate-like amnesia. Supposedly that's why we don't have many (if any at all) memories from our infancy. Not sure how verified it is, just something random I remember hearing somewhere

Yeah, babies don't remember jack squat. I think I read somewhere that there's a compound in milk that works similarly to endorphins and dulls the pain of growing at such a quick rate in infancy. This also causes opiate-like amnesia. Supposedly that's why we don't have many (if any at all) memories from our infancy. Not sure how verified it is, just something random I remember hearing somewhere
Yea, I'd believe it, there's some interesting stuff in breast milk. I've also seen studies that say pain in newborns has a bigger effect on them than we think and can influence emotional development and whatnot.
Everything in moderation of course.

Not sure why that's hilarious. We chose to forgo the Hep B shot until her first visit to save her an extra stick. And my wife is a peds RN. Just because they're little and will ultimately forget it doesn't mean they need to be subjected to more pain than necessary.

You'd be surprised. My daughter's "first bath" was less of a bath and more of a vigorous rub down by the nurse. Her skin turned bright red and she freaked out for a while after. She lost her **** every time she saw or touched a regular bath towel for like 6 months.

Not sure why that's hilarious. We chose to forgo the Hep B shot until her first visit to save her an extra stick. And my wife is a peds RN. Just because they're little and will ultimately forget it doesn't mean they need to be subjected to more pain than necessary

I was specifically talking about the newborn screen with the heelstick to check for metabolic disorders, and the glucose prick for possibly hypoglycemic babies. Imo, the benefits there far, far outweigh the pain of a prick.

I don't know as much about hepB, but a lot more people refuse that and it's not as critical as the other stuff from what I've gathered.

Reactions: 1 users
I was specifically talking about the newborn screen with the heelstick to check for metabolic disorders, and the glucose prick for possibly hypoglycemic babies. Imo, the benefits there far, far outweigh the pain of a prick.

Oh I totally agree. It seemed like you were using the specific case to make a point about the general case. My bad!

I don't know as much about hepB, but a lot more people refuse that and it's not as critical as the other stuff from what I've gathered.

Yeah.

Yeah. For this post:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ld-cover-them-up.1240255/page-4#post-18582963

Edit: I think the mods are over correcting a bit. It feels like high school nowadays where if someone verbally attacks and harasses you, any response at all gets you both in trouble, even if it's just to point out that they're being a little aggressive and immature.

If that's the direction this forum is going in, I'm probably going to just stop posting here.
I loled at that post after I found out you got probated for it. No wonder so many doctors have no sense of humor:cigar:

Just came across this thread.

In

I loled at that post after I found out you got probated for it. No wonder so many doctors have no sense of humor:cigar:

In
Welcome. Conditions of entry are as follows:

1) Ummm... I had something for this.

In

Lol yeah. I thought I was pretty calm in that thread despite his ridiculousness. I find it hilarious I got put on probation for pointing out a logical fallacy in his argument, but there was a thread just closed where a certain member was harassing, insulting, and trying to out doctorbob, and the thread was just closed.

The joys of conquest

1486229888-20170204.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

Gosh I love gifs

I highly doubt that Mitch would get into a US medical school.
I've got some Mitch-esque stories up my sleeve. No DUI's though because I never really felt the urge to murder.

It's her user title below her username

Oh okay. I was wondering where you saw that. Pretty funny.

Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic. You might know it as Rocephin. It's sometimes given needlessly to patients who think every ear infection needs antibiotics and think they know better than their physician.

It's a way of saying, "just because you have a fever doesn't mean you need antibiotics."

Oh okay. I was wondering where you saw that. Pretty funny.

Ceftriaxone is an antibiotic. You might know it as Rocephin. It's sometimes given needlessly to patients who think every ear infection needs antibiotics and think they know better than their physician.

speaking of bacteria...

20141211.png

It's the season of various respiratory viruses. I tell people they don't need antibiotics almost on the daily.

It's the season of various respiratory viruses. I tell people they don't need antibiotics almost on the daily.
One of the places near my work was holding a raffle today. All you had to do was donate money, put on lipstick, and kiss a poster board. Mind you our city is going through a pretty bad flu season...

It's ok though because the lady said it was completely sanitary because you had to put on the lipstick with a q-tip. Nevermind KISSING THE FREAKING BOARD. :mad:

One of the places near my work was holding a raffle today. All you had to do was donate money, put on lipstick, and kiss a poster board. Mind you our city is going through a pretty bad flu season...

It's ok though because the lady said it was completely sanitary because you had to put on the lipstick with a q-tip. Nevermind KISSING THE FREAKING BOARD. :mad:

That's why our census is so high and our ICU is full!

It's definitely respiratory infection time.

I had a cold last week and it appears that it has turned into bronchitis. Unsurpringly, I am pretty miserable right now. :unsure:

It's definitely respiratory infection time.

I had a cold last week and it appears that it has turned into bronchitis. Unsurpringly, I am pretty miserable right now. :unsure:
Try removing your lungs, turning them off and on again, and reinserting.

Reactions: 2 users
Try removing your lungs, turning them off and on again, and reinserting.

Easy as 1, 2, 3! What I'd give for this solution to actually work ;)

I just hope it doesn't last too long. Last April/May I had bronchitis for about three weeks. During the thick of it, I took my final orgo II midterm, and at the end, while still hacking up a storm, I took the final exam for the class. The fact that I got As on those exams was a straight up miracle. My favorite part though was that I carried my cough medicine with me (an expectorant) and would take it according to the proper dosage in the dining halls. I felt SO sketchy carrying my cough syrup in the brown paper bag I got from the pharmacy :rolleyes: