Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the general sentiment among navy docs who used it to pay for med school? On the boards here they always seem quite grumpy and I don't know if that's generally the case.

There are a few things to remember here. One is sample bias. People who had an enjoyable or at least tolerable experience are not likely to come on these boards and refute those who say it sucks. There is a military forum for enlisted personnel, and I don't go there and tell everyone that the grumpy guses are wrong. I just have better stuff to do.

I'm sure that the complaints of the Navy docs on this board are legitimate. What I'm also sure of is that different people have different views on those complaints. *shrug* I hear tons of complaints about the surface Navy that cause a lot of people to get out disgruntled. But for me and a bunch of other people, it isn't that bad. In my anecdotal experience, most of the people who can't take the military are the people who never had a real job beforehand.

I've worked with a few Navy docs, including a GMO trying to match into rads (unsuccessfully) and an internist. I also personally know two pediatricians, a family practitioner, and a surgeon who used HPSP. Not a single one of them regretted it, and one of them stayed in for a long time before transitioning to the Reserves, which he's still in. I guess I'm just trying to say that for every disgruntled Navy doc here, I know at least one in person who thought it was worthwhile.

Do people under a navy doc's command hold any sort of resentment for the doc basically getting a free pass to Lt?

Most officers in the Navy get a free pass to LT. Promotion from ENS to LTJG and then to LT is automatic for SWOs (2 years to JG and then 2 years to LT, totaling 4 years to LT). Docs get commissioned before med school as an ENS, then in four years get promoted to LT. So it's basically the same time, just less actual work (although med school isn't exactly a vacation).

The GMO working under the SMO on a ship is a LT, as is any resident or attending (at least a LT). PAs commission as a LTJG apparently, and nurses commission as an ENS (they all might have a BSN, but I'm not sure). I've never heard anyone complain about docs getting a "free pass to med school."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@tessellations bump!

auththentic-present.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Gibbward, we will still finish with the best record!!

#strengthinnumbers

Yeah we will! I want to see McCaw start! I'm also curious to see how Matt Barnes plays. Hopefully he can get some We Believe Warriors magic going!!

Well, I'm taking a **** before I walk in and take the E-6 exam. My abstract algebra and real analysis exams were easier than these because at least I could reason things out, and knowing the principles of the subject let you derive stuff. These tests are literally just hundreds of questions of rote memorization of things that have absolutely nothing to do with my job. Awesome!

Please God let me make it lol.

Well, I'm taking a **** before I walk in and take the E-6 exam. My abstract algebra and real analysis exams were easier than these because at least I could reason things out, and knowing the principles of the subject let you derive stuff. These tests are literally just hundreds of questions of rote memorization of things that have absolutely nothing to do with my job. Awesome!

Which tests are questions of rote memorization? Orgo tests?

Sounds like some medical school tests. Not looking forward to non analytical evaluations.
Which tests are questions of rote memorization? Orgo tests?
Orgo is brute memorization imho,probably anatomy as well, second language tests. Everything else can be reasoned through in college. I never really went to class in college except orgo. It still sucked.

Sounds like some medical school tests. Not looking forward to non analytical evaluations.

Orgo is brute memorization imho,probably anatomy as well, second language tests. Everything else can be reasoned through in college. I never really went to class in college except orgo. It still sucked.
Actually, I think the main reason I had to W orgo the first time but am now doing well in it is I thought rote memorization could get me through, whereas in reality orgo is super conceptual....

Yeah, me neither. I'm not great at rote memorization, but I can do it if the subject matter is relevant. The main difficulty with these advancement exams is that they are just so broad that it is impossible to study or know everything, and there's no way to know what to focus on. It also doesn't help that like a good 75% of the exam will be on stuff I don't work on or see, but the questions will be super technical subject matter expert type questions.

When in doubt, Charlie out!

Actually, I think the main reason I had to W orgo the first time but am now doing well in it is I thought rote memorization could get me through, whereas in reality orgo is super conceptual....

I've taken anatomy and physiology, plus a bunch of science and math courses. Even the ones that seem like rote memorization really do have a strong conceptual component to them that you can exploit, if you know how, to minimize the rote memorization required. These tests are not like that. There's no way to reason out what publication is used for fleet sentencing.

Did you just give advice about orgo after having to w on your first attempt?
You need to memorize a tonne of structures names and reactions before you can even get to the conceptual part. It's like learning a whole new language before doing analysis in it. I will stick by the point that it requires more brute memorization compared to other classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just give advice about orgo after having to w on your first attempt?
You need to memorize a tonne of structures names and reactions before you can even get to the conceptual part. It's like learning a whole new language before doing analysis in it. I will stick by the point that it requires more brute memorization compared to other classes.

Did you not read the next part where he said he's doing well this time? That's not the first time I've seen people on this board say that relying on rote memorization for orgo makes it way more difficult.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you not read the next part where he said he's doing well this time? That's not the first time I've seen people on this board say that relying on rote memorization for orgo makes it way more difficult.
I would until the final grade comes back before imparting advice .

I would until the final grade comes back before imparting advice .
I mean, on the first test I got , like , below a 50 last time and an 89 this time so....the comparison is just right there, you know?
But okay, will wait until final grade comes.

I imagine one of the questions being:

Why is E6 afraid of E7?
A) Because CPO outranks PO1
B) Fear of anchors
C) Because E7 E8 E9

I imagine one of the questions being:

Why is E6 afraid of E7?
A) Because CPO outranks PO1
B) Fear of anchors
C) Because E7 E8 E9

The questions were so ridiculous. I imagine it's what taking a biochem test is like if you haven't taken a single science course. And it's in Greek.

The questions were so ridiculous. I imagine it's what taking a biochem test is like if you haven't taken a single science course. And it's in Greek.
What are the scoring metrics like for advancement?

What are the scoring metrics like for advancement?

They take your raw score and combine it with your eval averages for the last three years. Then they determine how many people they need for that rate and calculate the minimum combined score needed to advance. Everyone who scores that or above gets advanced.

They take your raw score and combine it with your eval averages for the last three years. Then they determine how many people they need for that rate and calculate the minimum combined score needed to advance. Everyone who scores that or above gets advanced.
So as long as your evals are good, you don't need to outrun the bear.

So as long as your evals are good, you don't need to outrun the bear.

Evals are only 50% of the score. Most people will have similar eval scores, as it is difficult to get an EP eval (the highest type of eval), since you have to compete against every E-5 on the ship, and only 10% of you will get an EP. They also go partially by seniority, so even though my eval write up is killer, since I have only been on my boat for 18 months, I probably won't get an EP despite having better scores and a better write up that some of the people who do.

Edit: I do get some bonus points for having awards and a bachelors degree, but you can only have a maximum of 12 awards/education points, and the final combined minimum is usually something like 128 or something. Occasionally, those extra points will help though.

Evals are only 50% of the score. Most people will have similar eval scores, as it is difficult to get an EP eval (the highest type of eval), since you have to compete against every E-5 on the ship, and only 10% of you will get an EP. They also go partially by seniority, so even though my eval write up is killer, since I have only been on my boat for 18 months, I probably won't get an EP despite having better scores and a better write up that some of the people who do.
Do they do that just because you've got more time to move up and they are coming close on "get out of the way" time or is it just "screw those new guys"?

Do they do that just because you've got more time to move up and they are coming close on "get out of the way" time or is it just "screw those new guys"?

Basically. It's like, "They've been here longer and have contributed and probably need a little help making it so let's help them out," than just screw the new guys. But your first second class eval and your first eval on a new ship is usually a ****ty score just because the largest percentage of available scores are the ****ty ones.

The reason I come to SDN

you_are_funny_like_a_clown_you_are_here_to_amuse_me.png

Omg I've totally seen that before. The nostalgia
My biochem professor decided to show it to us this morning, and I figured that it was about what you deserved after your appeal to the interwebs for amusement. :)

My tutoring plan got approved by my captain today. Starting next week I'm going to be tutoring Sailors in math for college courses and test prep. I already have 5 people who are coming to the sessions. Can't wait.
That's. SO. Badass

Yeah it's gonna be fun. I have a couple people wanting college algebra and precalc review, a person studying for the math CLEP, and a person who needs calc help. Can't wait. I love teaching people math haha.
Calc is the best to tutor too. I like proving everything as rigorously as possible for them but linking the steps in the proof back to "what are we trying to show? what does this mean in terms of the graph?" etc. There's so many mind-blowers in that class it's like opening up a whole world to them. Just... EVERYTHING is different in your life after knowing calc.

Calc is the best to tutor too. I like proving everything as rigorously as possible for them but linking the steps in the proof back to "what are we trying to show? what does this mean in terms of the graph?" etc. There's so many mind-blowers in that class it's like opening up a whole world to them. Just... EVERYTHING is different in your life after knowing calc.

I like to make things concrete. I know a lot of people have issues with math, particularly with calculus, because it is so abstract to them that they don't really get what they are doing. An integral is just a squiggly line that means you do some weird rule to get an answer, and a derivative is just a weird fraction that means you apply some other rules to get a different answer (and for some reason those answers are related to each other).

But when you do things like apply the mean value theorem to show how a speed trap works or use basic integration and differentiation to see how deep a hole is based on how long it takes a rock to hit the bottom, suddenly those abstract concepts make sense.

lmao. O(1) Sort achieved fam, lets go home

Lj23rdS.png

C something. Most efficient sorting algorithm ever made, move over Djikstra.

:rofl:

TIL DJT is the single greatest advancement in CS.

Why is there a char variable in the int main command?

IIRC, that is just the proper way to declare main in C when you have parameters. argc is an integer containing number of parameters, and argv is the array containing the string value of all of the arguments to the program, hence it is declared a "char".

I do wish there were some computer sciency projects medical students could do.

Old convo but just leaving this here anyways

20120628.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I'm trying to compile a bunch of practice problems to help you all study for the MCAT. Would you guys find that useful? And if so would you have any interest in helping beta test an iPhone app to help the community? It's free and always will be.