Ohio State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! During my interview tour we asked our tour guide and he said they do but he didn’t know. So I asked a student on the panel and she told me they do but it’s not that great. She said some vets around the area actually give better discounts to students than the school does.
I'm a current staff member at OSU VMC and their pet care discounts for students and staff are the same. You get a general exam for $25 and then 20% off of everything else (surgeries, medications, other procedures). In my opinion the best resource they give to staff/students is the pet food discounts. You can get Purina pet food through them for less than half of the cost at a pet store.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To current OSU students: I have been told by my coworkers and vets in my clinic that vet students are required to get a rabies vaccination prior to starting classes. I can't find this information anywhere on OSU's site. The only vaccine requirements I see that we need are just the typical routine ones if we've never attended OSU before like measles, tdap, etc. Is there anywhere I can find info on the rabies vaccine requirement and I guess other vaccine requirements that are CVM specific? Thank you! I can't wait to join y'all in the fall :)

Last edited:
To current OSU students: I have been told by my coworkers and vets in my clinic that vet students are required to get a rabies vaccination prior to starting classes. I can't find this information anywhere on OSU's site. The only vaccine requirements I see that we need are just the typical routine ones if we've never attended OSU before like measles, tdap, etc. Is there anywhere I can find info on the rabies vaccine requirement and I guess other vaccine requirements that are CVM specific? Thank you! I can't wait to join y'all in the fall :)

Hi there! You have to have your rabies vaccine series (three shots) prior to the start of second semester of first year. So most people get them done during first semester. The other vaccine requirements are school specific and you’ll have to provide proof of them to the school. Likely the only booster you may (or may not depending on when your last was) need there is tdap (I did). If you plan on having school insurance, you can get the rabies vaccines for about half the normal price, which is nice because they are not cheap!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that we will need to purchase iPads and that all of the notes are electronic. I study best when the information is on paper.... are there any printing services? and do some students choose to print out their notes?

I heard that we will need to purchase iPads and that all of the notes are electronic. I study best when the information is on paper.... are there any printing services? and do some students choose to print out their notes?

You can print the notes from the same source that you download them to notability (or whatever app) from and usually you can buy all the notes at the beginning of the year in bulk. That said, I HIGHLY recommend using the iPad for note taking. I was really skeptical, but the iPad Pro and Notability are amazing. A few people print but the sheer volume of material makes the iPad an awesome tool. Even if you decide to hand write your notes, you still have to get an iPad as all the exams are done on it.

You can print the notes from the same source that you download them to notability (or whatever app) from and usually you can buy all the notes at the beginning of the year in bulk. That said, I HIGHLY recommend using the iPad for note taking. I was really skeptical, but the iPad Pro and Notability are amazing. A few people print but the sheer volume of material makes the iPad an awesome tool. Even if you decide to hand write your notes, you still have to get an iPad as all the exams are done on it.

I completely agree. Not to mention, you can hand write your notes on your iPad with the Apple Pencil. I personally really love writing and drawing with the Apple Pencil, but typing tends to be a quicker method of note-taking for me.

I completely agree. Not to mention, you can hand write your notes on your iPad with the Apple Pencil. I personally really love writing and drawing with the Apple Pencil, but typing tends to be a quicker method of note-taking for me.

I adore the Apple Pencil. I have a hard time learning when I type, so it’s the best of both world with electronic notes and still being able to write!

I have a question about where current students are living?? Good apartments and ones to stay away from? There are just sooooooooo many when I was looking online. I don't want to spend a fortune, but am definitely willing to pay more to not live in a dump. What's the typical timeline for incoming students regarding when I should be getting down to business as far as visiting apartments and signing my lease?

I have a question about where current students are living?? Good apartments and ones to stay away from? There are just sooooooooo many when I was looking online. I don't want to spend a fortune, but am definitely willing to pay more to not live in a dump. What's the typical timeline for incoming students regarding when I should be getting down to business as far as visiting apartments and signing my lease?

I think I signed my lease beginning of June? I went looking at places prior to that in the spring. You’re welcome to PM me and I can give you some ideas of places I looked at.

A good number of folks live in the Bethel Rd, Henderson Rd, Kenny Rd, etc area; there are several apartment complexes around there that people have had good experiences with. Feel free to PM me as well. It's also not uncommon for people live a little farther out in the Hilliard area (west of Columbus a bit -- rent is cheaper, but it's closer to a 20-30 minute drive to campus), Dublin (north of Columbus), or Worthington (north of Columbus but a little closer to campus than Dublin).

As for timeline -- I am from the Columbus area, so I was able to start looking in March/April and signed a lease/moved in the first week of May. Plenty of other people, especially from out of town, moved in around July/August, though. I would say it's a good idea to start poking around and figuring out what places you are interested in now, but it will likely be difficult for most apartment complexes to say for sure what their availability will be until we get a little closer to spring.

Hoping another wave comes today!

Reactions: 4 users
I have a rottweiler and I am having trouble finding a place to live close to OSU. I am a first year vet student. Does anybody know of a place that will accept large dogs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think there is any possibility OSU might release decisions by this Thursday? Or are we pretty certain it will be Fridays only?

I'm a current staff member at OSU VMC and their pet care discounts for students and staff are the same. You get a general exam for $25 and then 20% off of everything else (surgeries, medications, other procedures). In my opinion the best resource they give to staff/students is the pet food discounts. You can get Purina pet food through them for less than half of the cost at a pet store.
Is there a limit on the amount of food you can buy each time? I have 2 Great Danes.

Is there a limit on the amount of food you can buy each time? I have 2 Great Danes.
You can get up to 4 food items a month. They have 35lb bags of dry food so you should be good!

I wish they would stop sending out emails about crap I don't care about! Every time it's like I have a mild heart attack!

For those of you who have heard something, have your portals updated yet?

For those of you who have heard something, have your portals updated yet?
Yes, it gave me the option to accept right away and pay the fee. I was told on January 25th (phone call), and that same night I got the acceptance email. I checked my portal the next day and my portal had the option to accept.

Last edited:
Congrats to the future buckeyes! For those who were at the early January dinners- I'm the "everything but cow" girl.

PM me with any questions!

Olentangy Commons is a nice complex to look at. My apartment will be available for sublease coming up in early Summer (maybe late Spring depending) if you like it and want to move early. Other complexes are Governor's Square, Fox and the Hounds... They will send out a giant list of places to rent/cohabitate with other vet students (old and new) coming up in the next few months. Just be on the lookout on your official FB page once it gets set up.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! I was just offered a position as a small animal rotating intern at Ohio State today! I’m not sure if I’ll meet any of you since I’ll mainly be in the hospital, but will need to look for housing as well so jumping in to hear some recommendations :) Congrats to everyone who’s gotten an acceptance so far, exciting times!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone happened to hear about scholarships? I know they said they’d be sending more today. I’m not holding my breath that I’ll get one, just curious!

Has anyone happened to hear about scholarships? I know they said they’d be sending more today. I’m not holding my breath that I’ll get one, just curious!

I still havent heard anything either, but it would still be nice!

I still havent heard anything either. Not holding my breath either, but it would still be nice!
Same. I have not heard either. But I’m OOS so if I don’t get one I am most likely giving up my spot! It’s too expensive.

Im guessing no one heard anything good..?

Same. I have not heard either. But I’m OOS so if I don’t get one I am most likely giving up my spot! It’s too expensive.

Keep in mind you get residency after year 1. So factor that into your calculations!

I have a rottweiler and I am having trouble finding a place to live close to OSU. I am a first year vet student. Does anybody know of a place that will accept large dogs?

That "lab mix" will be fine at Governors or OC, or Frasure's apartments (as a rottie, he doesn't care)

Last edited:
Haven't heard about scholarships either. I was under the impression all first years get one even if it is small? Maybe I heard that incorrectly during my interview day as I was a nervous wreck in the AM... LOL

Haven't heard about scholarships either. I was under the impression all first years get one even if it is small? Maybe I heard that incorrectly during my interview day as I was a nervous wreck in the AM... LOL

Unless things have changed, first don’t all definitely get scholarship money (I wish we did!;))

Current 2nd year. I have never received a scholarship. There is a giant mass application to lots of scholarships that gets sent out once a year, but I have never been accepted to any.

DONT count on scholarships to offset much of your tuition. They are working on making it better for us, but it's nowhere near what you may have experienced in undergrad.

A lot of scholarships are less money than you think. 500-2000 range. So at OOS 80-90k first year, in state 50k (including living expenses), they hardly dent. They are worth pursuing, but not going to make life changing differences unless you are lucky and get one of the larger ones.

During my interview date they said that they sent out declines, then waitlist offers, then acceptances. Is that not how it works? Have they already sent out all offers of acceptance?

I just received an email with a scholarship offer. OSU is amazing!

I just received an email with a scholarship offer. OSU is amazing!
Congrats! Now if they could just let me know if I can be a buckeye. I just got wait listed at Iowa State fifteen minutes ago!

Reactions: 2 users
So they dont check?

You can also have your doctor write a letter saying you would benefit from an emotional support animal. Let’s face it, what human wouldn’t benefit from an animal for emotional support? Having that letter makes it illegal for an apartment to deny you having your critter, no matter what “lab mix” breed he is. Added bonus: free pet rent and no pet deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hoping for some sort of scholarship offer, but if not, I'll be ok. Just happy to be accepted, and I'm fortunate to have in-state tuition ;) I also am taking biochem, physiology, and micro this semester to finish up my pre-reqs, so maybe that was a factor? Oh well. I'll be in debt anyway :p

Last edited:
Accepted via email. OOS

Edit: Email received at 2:25pm

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wow surprised no one else has posted. This day a year ago was a flood. Maybe they already sent out most and they are just finishing off.

I'm going banana's here.
I feel ya. OSU is my #1 choice, fell in love with the school and environment. I also interviewed on the 27th, so I feel like they're going by the order of interview dates? Maybe...?

I feel ya. OSU is my #1 choice, fell in love with the school and environment. I also interviewed on the 27th, so I feel like they're going by the order of interview dates? Maybe...?
I've seen them accept multiple dates. I was the 5th but no word.....