Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed same day as you, received letter yesterday. Probably depend on your location
I am all the way out in SD so it will probably take more time. I guess I will just have to hold on a little longer :( thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Utah! I came out to ski basically haha I would love the opportunity to move back to philly though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

2nd year PCOM student here, PM your questions. I'll do my best to answer, but we're also in the process of taking finals and boards studying.

Just a heads up, I do not know anything about interview invites, or if or when acceptance letters go out. However I can answer school specific questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an acceptance letter in the mail! Interviewed 01/13, it was a long 4+ weeks

Reactions: 3 users
2nd year PCOM student here, PM your questions. I'll do my best to answer, but we're also in the process of taking finals and boards studying.

Just a heads up, I do not know anything about interview invites, or if or when acceptance letters go out. However I can answer school specific questions.
Where do you live?

I was fortunate enough to be invited to interview several weeks back, ultimately received a "delayed decision" letter in the mail. I assumed this meant I was placed on the wait list, but I must have assumed incorrectly. After ardently researching PCOM in the past months they have become my top choice. Several pints of ice cream later, I was pouring myself over last years PCOM specific thread to find this:

"Is waitlist different than delayed admission response?"

"Yea they are different. You could be delayed decision and then get moved to the wait list."

Any additional insight on delayed decisions? Is it essentially the same as a wait list? Has anyone else received a delayed decision? Has anyone received a delayed decisions AND then an acceptance? Someone mentioned on last years thread that their letter included a specific reason why they were delayed, others were given no reason.

Also, for those who are curious and who have been wait listed/delayed decision, it looks like about 10 people on SDN received acceptances late in the game after being waitlisted/delayed, starting from February and some into July. Am I super good at investigating, or am I a sad and anxious woman? That, reader, is for you to decide.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to interview several weeks back, ultimately received a "delayed decision" letter in the mail. I assumed this meant I was placed on the wait list, but I must have assumed incorrectly. After ardently researching PCOM in the past months they have become my top choice. Several pints of ice cream later, I was pouring myself over last years PCOM specific thread to find this:

"Yea they are different. You could be delayed decision and then get moved to the wait list."

Any additional insight on delayed decisions? Is it essentially the same as a wait list? Has anyone else received a delayed decision? Has anyone received a delayed decisions AND then an acceptance? Someone mentioned on last years thread that their letter included a specific reason why they were delayed, others were given no reason.

Also, for those who are curious and who have been wait listed/delayed decision, it looks like about 10 people on SDN received acceptances late in the game after being waitlisted/delayed, starting from February and some into July. Am I super good at investigating, or am I a sad and anxious woman? That, reader, is for you to decide.
A delayed decision is just that, they have not made a decision. Wait list is a decision. They will make a decision on your later, accept you, reject you or put you on the wait list.

Interview tomorrow! Can't wait! #1 choice!!

Members don't see this ad :)

First year DO student at PCOM. I interviewed in February, got a delayed decision, then waitlist, and now here I am. A lot can change between now and the end of the cycle, so don't get discouraged. You still have a shot at getting in, even with a delayed decision.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but does PCOM send interview invitations via email?

Anybody know when the Welcome Brunch for Admitted Students is this year? (for Class of 2020) Last year it was 03/22/15 and they sent out invitations around this time

Is there a point where we 100% have to attend? I'm just wondering if I pay the $1500 deposit ( I know I don't get it back) and what if I get in a school off the wait list in July. I just call and say hey sorry I'm not coming? how does that work, I'm curious?

Is there a point where we 100% have to attend? I'm just wondering if I pay the $1500 deposit ( I know I don't get it back) and what if I get in a school off the wait list in July. I just call and say hey sorry I'm not coming? how does that work, I'm curious?
Exactly..

There is nothing legally binding you to go to the school where you paid your final deposit. Besides donating your deposit money, you can choose to go to any school you want off the waitlist. Just make sure to let the school know of your final decisions! Best of luck :)

Just received an II via email! In state and complete in September! :D

Also, does anyone know how full the class is as of now? I just want to mentally prepare myself... are the applicants who are being invited to interview now basically being interviewed for waitlist spots or is there still hope for us to be directly accepted into the class? PCOM is absolutely one of my top choices and I'd be the happiest girl in the world if I got to attend! Ahhhhhh!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.

Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.

+1 on this, similar situation/question

First year DO student at PCOM. I interviewed in February, got a delayed decision, then waitlist, and now here I am. A lot can change between now and the end of the cycle, so don't get discouraged. You still have a shot at getting in, even with a delayed decision.
When did they let you know you were accepted? How late in the cycle?

I applied late in the game and was worried I wouldn't be complete by the 2/1 deadline. I called AACOMAS and PCOM daily. PCOM admissions explained to me that they won't even have access to the application until you are complete (should say "verified" in AACOMAS status) prior to 2/1. Once you are verified and complete you will receive a PCOM ID number and the supplemental in an email. I received mine about a week later. The supplemental is due March 1.
I would talk to someone at AACOMAS in case they need something else from you. Good luck!!!

Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.[/QUO
Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.[/QUOTE

I applied late in the game and was worried I wouldn't be complete by the 2/1 deadline. I called AACOMAS and PCOM daily. PCOM admissions explained to me that they won't even have access to the application until you are complete (should say "verified" in AACOMAS status) prior to 2/1. Once you are verified and complete you will receive a PCOM ID number and the supplemental in an email. I received mine about a week later. The supplemental is due March 1.
I would talk to someone at AACOMAS in case they need something else from you. Good luck!!!

Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.[/QUO
Hey Everyone! I applied really late (like Jan 23rd...when the deadline was Feb 1st). My application status just says "verifying". I did make a small mistake on my application (I put 3.0 credits for my 4.0 credit physics class). I did notify AACOMAS about this. I'm just worried because it's been a month and PCOM hasn't said anything. I kind of wanted to apply to PCOM Georgia's postbac program because I don't think I have a high chance with the DO school, but I still wanted to see if my personal statement will make them understand what happened to my GPA the first two years of my college (I've been getting above 3.5 the past few semesters...but it didn't help my overall GPA that much). Any thoughts? Anyone know how long it takes for them to send out secondaries/rejection/wait list.[/QUOTE

Hey there! Just a little insight from what I've learned this cycle...PCOM notoriously gets one of the highest amounts of applications for DO schools so its hard to say whether they will have time to get to your application before they stop sending out interviews. For a point of reference, I submitted my secondary in late July/early August and got an II in December, interviewed in Janury, and accepted in February, which was definitely the longest secondary to II to acceptance time for any of the schools I got into. Send updates if possible and maybe a letter of intent! Best of luck :)

Just got an II for March 3rd. Thought my chances to get into Med School this cycle were over. lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II for March 3rd. Thought my chances to get into Med School this cycle were over. lol.

Congrats! Mind sharing stats/IS or OOS?

Congrats! Mind sharing stats/IS or OOS?

IS, UG GPA: 3.3/4.0, Postbacc: 3.75/4.0

Does anyone know how long it takes for the email to respond after you confirm the date for the interview in the response?

IS, UG GPA: 3.3/4.0, Postbacc: 3.75/4.0

Does anyone know how long it takes for the email to respond after you confirm the date for the interview in the response?

I got the post-confirmation response from them around 20 minutes after I responded to their initial email. Hopefully you should get it soon if you haven't already!

By the way, can anyone speak about what interviews here are like? I heard it's a panel interview with a varied number of admissions members/faculty/PCOM alums/etc. Is that correct?

Thank you for the response. I don't know what happened overnight...but today it said VERIFIED and they calculated my GPA and everything. I did hear that PCOM receives a ton of applications. This is so stressful!!!! I really want to go to PCOM-GA because I live 15 minutes away from it.

I got the post-confirmation response from them around 20 minutes after I responded to their initial email. Hopefully you should get it soon if you haven't already!

By the way, can anyone speak about what interviews here are like? I heard it's a panel interview with a varied number of admissions members/faculty/PCOM alums/etc. Is that correct?

Just had mine here yesterday! It was not bad. It is just you and two other admissions individuals. Mine was two physicians and they have your file open and ask questions. Really stress free. Be yourself and give the answers you want not what you think they want to hear.

Hope this helps!

Anybody know what the acceptance rate is from interview invites? Or is that top secret? :)

Have any accepted students sent in the MHQ yet? or know if you get any sort of confirmation that they received it?

Is there a way to view our secondary after it's been submitted?

Have any accepted students sent in the MHQ yet? or know if you get any sort of confirmation that they received it?

I submitted mine and it never showed up on the portal. Called their student health to verify they had received it!

I was interview way back at the start of November and subsequently wait-listed.

Wonder how much longer I got to wait . . .

Interviewed on 2/8. Anyone know when I can expect to hear? I would love to attend but was accepted at NYCOM this week and they want a $1500 deposit by March 4th. Ahhh!

Interviewed on 2/8. Anyone know when I can expect to hear? I would love to attend but was accepted at NYCOM this week and they want a $1500 deposit by March 4th. Ahhh!

submit the deposit around March 3rd if you still haven't heard anything from PCOM. Don't lose your NYIT COM seat!

PCOM sent out invites for March 11th today for Georgia. Sorry.

Last edited:
I can confirm that PCOM (Philly) is still interviewing! And to add on to what @billeboi31 said, someone from admissions committee told me that "if you don't hear back by the end of March, then that's it" (which I assume means silent rejection? :()