Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you OOS? Based on last year, the COA was like 69K for IS, but they do use kind of high values for living expenses and room/board.
No, IS, but have a family to provide for. I think 15k for room and board is not so bad, based on NJ prices of the area where Rowan is located. However, if you are single and want to lower your costs, you could share the rent with a friend/roomate.

Members don't see this ad.

No, IS, but have a family to provide for. I think 15k for room and board is not so bad, based on NJ prices of the area where Rowan is located. However, if you are single and want to lower your costs, you could share the rent with a friend/roomate.

Oh yeah I can see how that changes things. The rent isn't too bad for multiple people depending on what complex you look at. I was looking at it through the "multiple roommate" view.

So for all of those withstanding the agonizing pain of waiting I hope this information helps. I've been receiving so many mixed signals from admissions in the past few weeks and it has been an emotional roller coaster but I got a chance to speak with the assistant dean of admissions (Paula Watkins) and she offered a lot of insight and clarification on what is happening at this point. 1) Interviews are still ongoing until the end of this month (March) and they are unsure if they will continue through April or not. She did mention they are avoiding continuing with interviews through the end of April because they did so last year and I guess ran late but the committee can still decide to do that. So if you haven't received an interview yet don't lose hope maybe try calling and showing interest who knows maybe you will get an interview still. 2) There is in fact a hold list this year with a "few students" on it but no idea what that number is. The hold list is priority over the waitlist. 3) According to Paula the waitlist is already ranked based on a number that you were given by the committee based on your total application plus your interview score. (This has been a point of confusion because some have been told the waitlist will be ranked in April). Basically for arguments sake if your total individual score is "10/10" you get accepted post interview, if you get "7/10 or 6/10" you get waitlisted, and if you get below that its a rejection (I made these numbers up I don't actually know their system but you get the point). So if person A got a 7/10 and person B got an 6/10 both were waitlisted but person A would be above person B on the waitlist post interview. She said the waitlist is extremely fluid with students withdrawing and accepting all the way up until the start of class but they usually have significant waitlist movement compared to other schools. Last year their final accepted student was informed one hour after white coat ceremony. So basically we just have to be patient all is not lost its a process and I wish everyone on here luck at Rowan and any other schools you've applied to!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So for all of those withstanding the agonizing pain of waiting I hope this information helps. I've been receiving so many mixed signals from admissions in the past few weeks and it has been an emotional roller coaster but I got a chance to speak with the assistant dean of admissions (Paula Watkins) and she offered a lot of insight and clarification on what is happening at this point. 1) Interviews are still ongoing until the end of this month (March) and they are unsure if they will continue through April or not. She did mention they are avoiding continuing with interviews through the end of April because they did so last year and I guess ran late but the committee can still decide to do that. So if you haven't received an interview yet don't lose hope maybe try calling and showing interest who knows maybe you will get an interview still. 2) There is in fact a hold list this year with a "few students" on it but no idea what that number is. The hold list is priority over the waitlist. 3) According to Paula the waitlist is already ranked based on a number that you were given by the committee based on your total application plus your interview score. (This has been a point of confusion because some have been told the waitlist will be ranked in April). Basically for arguments sake if your total individual score is "10/10" you get accepted post interview, if you get "7/10 or 6/10" you get waitlisted, and if you get below that its a rejection (I made these numbers up I don't actually know their system but you get the point). So if person A got a 7/10 and person B got an 6/10 both were waitlisted but person A would be above person B on the waitlist post interview. She said the waitlist is extremely fluid with students withdrawing and accepting all the way up until the start of class but they usually have significant waitlist movement compared to other schools. Last year their final accepted student was informed one hour after white coat ceremony. So basically we just have to be patient all is not lost its a process and I wish everyone on here luck at Rowan and any other schools you've applied to!

Thanks for the insight! Waitlists are stressful but at least we got one another am I right?? haha.. :D

Hopefully everything works out for all of us :)

Thanks for the info! Did you call admissions and specifically ask to speak to Dean Watkins? Was she happy to answer your questions? I'm thinking of doing the same.

So, does anyone know the dress code for accepted students day? Like suit and tie? or business cashh?

Thanks for the info! Did you call admissions and specifically ask to speak to Dean Watkins? Was she happy to answer your questions? I'm thinking of doing the same.
I actually just called the number under her information from the admissions page and she answered. I've called that number before with no answers and I've also called the regular admissions number and she's answered so it's kinda random. She was the most helpful person I've spoken with and she doesn't make the whole thing seem like some big mystery or secret which I appreciated. I don't know if you call and ask for her if they will transfer you though.

Than ky
Thank you. this is very helpful

How was accepted day? I wasn't able to make it.

any new II or rejections? Being on the fence is killing me :(

Reactions: 2 users
For those, who are still waiting to get an II or hear back after it, here is some fun

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dayum rowan is ranked 51st in 2017 for primary care

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone here submit a primary/secondary in September and get accepted?

does anyone know when/where the match results will be posted? im currently deciding between 2 schools and am curious! thanks!

How was accepted day? I wasn't able to make it.
Good! They basically repeated a lot of information that was discussed on interview day. The financial information was helpful for family/parents in attendance. They were extremely welcoming and totally affirmed my decision to attend this school.

Complete since late July, reapplicant... Haven't heard a thing from this school. Trying not to give up hope:(

Reactions: 1 users
Complete since late July, reapplicant... Haven't heard a thing from this school. Trying not to give up hope:(
This is my first time applying and the way it's looking I might be a reapplicant too for next cycle. What do you guys do different as a reapplicant? As in, did you take MCAT again? volunteered?

This is my first time applying and the way it's looking I might be a reapplicant too for next cycle. What do you guys do different as a reapplicant? As in, did you take MCAT again? volunteered?

Hey! When the cycle is over and if you do end up choosing to reapply, I think how you go about it is up to you and a very individual decision. My advisor suggested I seek feedback from a handful of schools (all of which I really wanted to go to had things turned out differently my first cycle) --that got me started. I did that and then I chose to follow their advice.

For me, it was retake the MCAT. I also took a year off between cycles to regroup and truthfully decide if I even wanted to reapply. I came out of it more hungry to try to become a doctor than I was before. So that all worked for me.

I used common sense, too--continued working full time in the medical field while also continuing my clinical volunteering. I pared down my reapplication school list and rewrote my personal statement, and I got 2 new letters of recommendation. And I was ready.

All I can say to you at this point is that it's not over til you get all of your decisions and know for sure what's going on. And--good luck on this crazy journey :hello:

Hey! When the cycle is over and if you do end up choosing to reapply, I think how you go about it is up to you and a very individual decision. My advisor suggested I seek feedback from a handful of schools (all of which I really wanted to go to had things turned out differently my first cycle) --that got me started. I did that and then I chose to follow their advice.

For me, it was retake the MCAT. I also took a year off between cycles to regroup and truthfully decide if I even wanted to reapply. I came out of it more hungry to try to become a doctor than I was before. So that all worked for me.

I used common sense, too--continued working full time in the medical field while also continuing my clinical volunteering. I pared down my reapplication school list and rewrote my personal statement, and I got 2 new letters of recommendation. And I was ready.

All I can say to you at this point is that it's not over til you get all of your decisions and know for sure what's going on. And--good luck on this crazy journey :hello:

This is the most hopeful thing I've read in a while. Thank you! :)

Hi everyone! First year here. Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to anyone who's waiting to hear back!

I interviewed around this time last year, and I was put on the hold list and didn't hear until the very end of June that I had a spot. Have a little hope and patience--your time will come, I promise! Don't give up on yourselves. As someone else mentioned above, one of my classmate got in an hour after our white coat ceremony.

Also, the official match list for the class of 2017 isn't published yet but they did extremely well (my favorite one I've heard thus far is neurosurgery in Palm Springs!).

Best of luck all! Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 7 users
Have you had luck recently with sending one?? I sent one about a month ago, still silence.
I just sent an update letter last month... called them, said they got it and added to file but still waiting for II. they are interviewing for waitlist spots as of now (when I called last week)

Has anyone else received their waitlist rank?

I applied more broadly and alot earlier. Turn around time for my secondaries were never more than a week. My LizzyM was around a 64. If your stats are in the realm, Id apply broader and catch their attention more application wise. Good Luck!!!

Thank you!

Is anyone applying for PBL? If you are, how long are you making your essays?

I'm really hoping that this alternate list moves quickly!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received an interview or acceptance here without a physician LOR?

Did you have extensive DO shadowing? When did you submit/ when were you complete?
I worked (not shadow) with many DO/MD residents and attendings. I can't remember exactly, but somewhat around late august-early September.

For anyone still holding on to hope for an interview like I was, I just called admissions and they told me that they are officially done interviewing for the cycle :(. They sent out the last round of interview invites this morning, so if you haven't gotten one you can expect an E-mail on Monday confirming the end of the application cycle. I know this is disheartening to some of you but at least you can stop guessing and waiting like I was. Congratulations to those who were granted admission.

Reactions: 6 users
For anyone still holding on to hope for an interview like I was, I just called admissions and they told me that they are officially done interviewing for the cycle :(. They sent out the last round of interview invites this morning, so if you haven't gotten one you can expect an E-mail on Monday confirming the end of the application cycle. I know this is disheartening to some of you but at least you can stop guessing and waiting like I was. Congratulations to those who were granted admission.

Thanks for the info! Yeah it sucks but hopefully those who didn't get an II here got luck elsewhere...

Ditto. I'm an NJ resident so I was hoping for love but hey, congrats to all those who got in or even those who are waiting via waitlist. Those who didn't get in but who got admissions elsewhere, congrats and go get that degree! Those who are awaiting waitlist movement, you're among good company, we all now play the waiting game once more with hopefully good news

Does anyone know if Rowan sent any post II rejections? Or do they just waitlist everyone who wasn't accepted?

For those of us who interviewed on March 21st, when will we know acceptances by?

Thats weird because I called a few minutes ago and the admissions person told me that my application was still under review and not rejected yet.

Thats weird because I called a few minutes ago and the admissions person told me that my application was still under review and not rejected yet.

Wait really? So they're not done yet?? This is so confusing.

I called and they said that they are done with the application cycle. :(

Wait really? So they're not done yet?? This is so confusing.
I guess not? I don't know I was just as surprised when she told me that my application was still under review. She didn't tell me anything about the application cycle being over.