Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't receive a next steps email...

Members don't see this ad.

When were you accepted? If you paid the deposit a while ago I would call and let them know you haven't gotten further communication

Just got the email! Accepted! Omg I'm so pumped right now! What a day! Interviewed 2/3 LizzyM 61.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email! Accepted! Omg I'm so pumped right now! What a day! Interviewed 2/3 LizzyM 61.

Congrats, I had a feeling there would be a wave of decisions today. They seem to send them out on Fridays towards the end of the month. I hope I get my decision today and not next month lol.

Reactions: 1 user

We interviewed the same day but I haven't received anything. Does that mean I'm waitlisted/rejected ?

We interviewed the same day but I haven't received anything. Does that mean I'm waitlisted/rejected ?

I have no idea.

I have no idea.

I have a feeling it's not a very good sign... I'd better start thinking about some plans for next year.

I have a feeling it's not a very good sign... I'd better start thinking about some plans for next year.

Look back in this thread I feel like I remember seeing from previous groups that not all of the decisions came at the same time but I may be wrong.

Look back in this thread I feel like I remember seeing from previous groups that not all of the decisions came at the same time but I may be wrong.

Regardless; with the way things are presenting right now; I feel like my mcat ruined me. It's a new school. They want to make sure to accept student that will do well on the board exam to raise their percentages. Verbal reasoning scores like mine aren't attractive to admission committees.

Congratulations though. Don't remember which one of us you was. Girls outnumbered guys that day. Best of luck for those 4 years in medical school and your future doctor career.

I dont think so. On 1/22 people received both acceptances and waitlists decisions. I think they just didnt get to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

I dont think so. On 1/22 people received both acceptances and waitlists decisions. I think they just didnt get to you.

Yeah, most likely doesn't. Someone who interviewed after me had a decision before I got my waitlist. You'll be fine varens, just keep waiting!

Is there any way to discern from the portal (that usually just has documents received) that you got accepted while you wait for snail mail?

Recently heard back with an acceptance
Lizzy 52

Retracting my acceptance here got into my top school.
Very happy that I don't have to attend here. I highly encourage anyone who has the option to go to a different school to pursue it.

Lizzy 52

Very happy that I don't have to attend here. I highly encourage anyone who has the option to go to a different school to pursue it.

Do you mind sharing when you interviewed and received acceptance?(you can PM me if you want to keep it confidential). Also why do you encourage students to go elsewhere? I had a good experience on interview day so I am curious about any potential negatives I may have missed. And congrats on your acceptances.

Lizzy 52

Care to share why you feel that way? lizzy 52 seems a little bit on the low side. Wondering if this is a troll account.

Reactions: 1 users
It only has tri state residencies.
Does not have a concrete plan for aoa merger in respects to combating residency caps at affiliated hospitals.

It does not have an on campus teaching hospital nor does it plan on building one.
It has no student body in respects to a community since it is a heavy commuter school, which makes it very difficult to network professional connections.
The clubs are lacking and low populated.
Housing situation is very very expensive aND provides limited options

It has no established research entities.
Three of my friends currently attend and they all despise it two are in the process of transfering.

Does not have a concrete plan for aoa merger in respects to combating residency caps at affiliated hospitals.

It does not have an on campus teaching hospital nor does it plan on building one.
It has no student body in respects to a community since it is a heavy commuter school, which makes it very difficult to network professional connections.

Three of my friends currently attend and they all despise it two are in the process of transfering.

There are some fair criticisms in here but none of them seem outrageously different than other

DO schools. Why did you apply here at all if you have multiple friends there that are that unhappy?

Based on the fact the NOVA was your top choice I would guess you are from Florida? For people that want to be in Northeast this is one of 2 schools there. It is a commuter school just like every other school in Manhattan including Columbia etc... Personally, the fact that it's in that area is a huge plus for me. So these seem to be mostly personal reasons that are geographic. Do any schools have concrete plans for the merger?? I doubt it at this point. Clubs are probably the least important part of medical school also. I just feel like your advice to others is stemming from something personal.

No I am from Westchester
Applied here as a safety school.
But from all the schools I applied to I was least impressed with this one.

And clubs are huge because they allow you the opportunity to network connections for careers and even residency benefits aswell.

Touro offers nothing and you have to do the leg work on your own.

Nycom is not particularly better but it does offer more for students in respects to networking.
Also touro doesn't have on campus student teaching facilities which is a huge thumbs down for me

No I am from Westchester
Applied here as a safety school.
But from all the schools I applied to I was least impressed with this one.

And clubs are huge because they allow you the opportunity to network connections for careers and even residency benefits aswell.

Touro offers nothing and you have to do the leg work on your own.

Nycom is not particularly better but it does offer more for students in respects to networking.
Also touro doesn't have on campus student teaching facilities which is a huge thumbs down for me

Touro Harlem as a safety school with 52 LizzyM? You have got to be trolling.

Here are some 52 Lizzy M combos:

3.0, 22 MCAT
1.7, 35 MCAT

Also, Touro has an awesome match list. Have you seen it?

3.0, 22 MCAT
1.7, 35 MCAT

Im guessing it was a typo and she meant 62. IDK, just seems like such a weird thing to troll about, but most of the complaints just seem par the course for DO schools.

3.0, 22 MCAT
1.7, 35 MCAT

And to think I have Lizzy of 66 and actually wanna attend the school and dont get acceptance ... Another proof that med school application is one of the most random process ever.

And to think I have Lizzy of 66 and actually wanna attend the school and dont get acceptance ... Another proof that med school application is one of the most random process ever.

hang in there brotha, I bet you get some good news next week.

Im guessing it was a typo and she meant 62. IDK, just seems like such a weird thing to troll about, but most of the complaints just seem par the course for DO schools.

Maybe. Even 62 it would be extremely stupid to consider this a safety school when the averages (3.5,30.8) are almost 66. And yes, the complaints are definitely par for the course.

I just have a few questions in follow-up to your comments:

1. You got accepted with a Lizzy M of 52? There's no way to break that up into a GPA and MCAT that would not cause you to be screened out.

2. Did you actually read the match lists for the school before you claimed it only has tri-state residencies?

3. Could you name DO schools that do have a complete and actionable plan for the AOA merger? And on that same vein, how do you know exactly what is to be expected from a merger set to take place four years from now.

Be wary everyone, there be trolls lurking here.

Based on some of the premeds I have encountered in my life I would not be surprised if this person was waitlisted and is trying to scare people so seats open up. Either way, to be accepted to your top choice and then go on the thread for another school that you applied to and interviewed at and start saying negative things about that school which are sort of generic is just unprofessional. Also there is something fishy about the language "careers and even residency benefits" is a weird way of saying that and just seems uninformed. Residency benefits sounds like a high school aged person wrote that. I don't know. Whatever. I was hoping they had something of value to add to the conversation but it doesn't seem that way.

Based on some of the premeds I have encountered in my life I would not be surprised if this person was waitlisted and is trying to scare people so seats open up. Either way, to be accepted to your top choice and then go on the thread for another school that you applied to and interviewed at and start saying negative things about that school which are sort of generic is just unprofessional. Also there is something fishy about the language "careers and even residency benefits" is a weird way of saying that and just seems uninformed. Residency benefits sounds like a high school aged person wrote that. I don't know. Whatever. I was hoping they had something of value to add to the conversation but it doesn't seem that way.
Some people aren't worth debating with. I wouldn't even try to have a conversation because the post in itself was moot to begin with.

No
Simply put residency benefits come from attending a school with an on campus teaching hospital credited with signature residency slots.
There are a few DO schools in the country that have this or will shortly have this.

Attending an Do school puts you at the disadvantage of competing for speciality residencies.
This is no secret.
However if your DO school has aoa specialties offered right on campus.
Then this will give you quiet a leg up in networking.

No
Simply put residency benefits come from attending a school with an on campus teaching hospital credited with signature residency slots.
There are a few DO schools in the country that have this or will shortly have this.

Attending an Do school puts you at the disadvantage of competing for speciality residencies.
This is no secret.
However if your DO school has aoa specialties offered right on campus.
Then this will give you quiet a leg up in networking.

quiet

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Congrats on getting accepted into the program!!!!!
If you are looking for a place to stay while taking the summer courses at TouroCOM, I am subletting my room for the summer (Jun-Aug). Please let me know if you are interested.
The place is $700/month (mostly including everything), 6th floor walk-up. The place is on 145th st, which is 20 blocks away from school. It's 2 subway stops away from school, or you can take the bus (10 minutes).
I'll leave my mattress, pots, pans, plates and everything so you don't have to worry to purchase additional things. It's a very good deal if you are looking for a place to stay for a headstart of the program.

Hello everyone! Congrats on getting accepted into the program!!!!!
If you are looking for a place to stay while taking the summer courses at TouroCOM, I am subletting my room for the summer (Jun-Aug). Please let me know if you are interested.
The place is $700/month (mostly including everything), 6th floor walk-up. The place is on 145th st, which is 20 blocks away from school. It's 2 subway stops away from school, or you can take the bus (10 minutes).
I'll leave my mattress, pots, pans, plates and everything so you don't have to worry to purchase additional things. It's a very good deal if you are looking for a place to stay for a headstart of the program.

Do you live alone or is it a room in a shared place?

Do you live alone or is it a room in a shared place?
Hi.. It's a room with 2 other roommates. One is never there and the other one is in the MS program.

When's the last interview date for Harlem this year? Last year they were sending out IIs all the way until the end of March. I'm not sure what the plan is this year. Does anyone know? Or are they done with interviews?

When's the last interview date for Harlem this year? Last year they were sending out IIs all the way until the end of March. I'm not sure what the plan is this year. Does anyone know? Or are they done with interviews?
They are definitely NOT done with interview..cuz I have been set up in March. I think at least they will send out II until late March, as the official deadline is pretty late.

Hi guys, have some specific questions.
1) I can't find the stats for accepted students of class 2019 (or any other year). I think MCAT 30.8 is for Touro-CA not NY..I feel like Touro-NY website is pretty sloppy.
2) How do the committee decide which campus for you? For me, I just selected Harlem or Middletown on my secondary. Are they gonna to ask you about this at interview?
3) Are they gonna extend you to MS program if they think you are not good enough this year? Or the MS application is totally independent?
Thanks! Wish to have all you guys as classmates this year.

II! Looks like the available dates are all within 2 weeks

Hi guys, have some specific questions.
1) I can't find the stats for accepted students of class 2019 (or any other year). I think MCAT 30.8 is for Touro-CA not NY..I feel like Touro-NY website is pretty sloppy.

No idea but I think it's similar to TUCOM

2) How do the committee decide which campus for you? For me, I just selected Harlem or Middletown on my secondary. Are they gonna to ask you about this at interview?

They take your selection into consideration when inviting you interview. I did both preference for Harlem. Dead of admissions said if you were there and you chose either that she probably "stole you." So I think they base it off your preference and where they have a need/think you're a good fit. You don't choose, they do. I'm sure if you were accepted at one and wanted the other they might accommodate under the right circumstances.

3) Are they gonna extend you to MS program if they think you are not good enough this year? Or the MS application is totally independent?
Thanks! Wish to have all you guys as
classmates this year.

Don't know this one.

Thanks! Do you have any idea of interview: acceptance ratio? I browsed the other school threads, roughly 1/2-1/3 in general. No idea about Touro NY though.

Thanks! Do you have any idea of interview: acceptance ratio? I browsed the other school threads, roughly 1/2-1/3 in general. No idea about Touro NY though.

I don't know but 1/2 and above is typical I think for most DO schools. Tourocom has a smallish class size (135ish) so maybe it's less than half.

I don't know but 1/2 and above is typical I think for most DO schools. Tourocom has a smallish class size (135ish) so maybe it's less than half.

One thing to consider is that they usually take a lot of people off the waitlist. Also at my interview a couple of weeks ago they said they interviewed around 260 people at that point, which doesnt seem like a lot for a 135 person sized class, once you factor in people who decide to go elsewhere. I think getting an II gives you a decent shot at eventual acceptance, or so I hope.

One thing to consider is that they usually take a lot of people off the waitlist. Also at my interview a couple of weeks ago they said they interviewed around 260 people at that point, which doesnt seem like a lot for a 135 person sized class, once you factor in people who decide to go elsewhere. I think getting an II gives you a decent shot at eventual acceptance, or so I hope.

I think most schools aim to accept 2x their class size.

Just received my acceptance email!! So stoked!! :D
My lizzy score: 70

Secondary Invite 11/1
Secondary Completed 12/1
Interview Invite 1/6
Interview 1/20
Acceptance 3/1

Please feel to ask me any questions!

Reactions: 5 users
Just received my acceptance email!! So stoked!! :D
My lizzy score: 70

Secondary Invite 11/1
Secondary Completed 12/1
Interview Invite 1/6
Interview 1/20
Acceptance 3/1

Please feel to ask me any questions!

congrats, good to know that they send acceptances on days other than Friday

congrats, good to know that they send acceptances on days other than Friday

I was really worried when the school didn't get back to me last Friday and was anxious that I had to wait another week.

I hope you hear back from the school as soon as possible. No one likes this waiting game :(