UCLA or Umich?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoggyPajamas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just found out today that I was taken off the waitlist for UCLA. I had already committed to going to Michigan but now I'm debating whether I should stick to my original choice or take things in a new direction. I was hoping some of you guys could help me with my decision.

Just a quick intro. I am an in-state resident of CA but completed by BA in a school on the east coast. At the moment, I am seriously interested in pursuing neurosurgery (though this, of course, may change) so UCLA edges out Michigan in that regard because Reagan is famed for its neurosurgery/neurology. However, because I want to do my residency in the east coast, preferably NY, I am slightly concerned that going to UCLA will increase the likelihood that I will have to remain in CA for residency (this is based on the observation that many CA students seem to end up in CA).

I apologize if my reasoning or knowledge is flawed, so please correct me if I am wrong. So with that in mind, I'll list below what I perceive as the pros/cons of each school:

UCLA:

Pro: metropolitan area with tons of things to do, lower tuition due to being an in-state resident, excellent hospital with wide variety of patients, excellent for neurology/neurosurgery, already have many friends in the area

Con: did not feel as though they were a student-oriented program based on the interview day, costs of living could be high, would prefer not to be in CA for residency.

Michigan:

Pro: Cold weather (yes I prefer the freeze), an extremely student-oriented program, excellent match list, top five among residency directors (according to the admissions office), great hospital system, excellent curriculum and clinical training

Con: Ann Arbor feels too much like a college town, few neighboring towns with lots to do, never lived in the Midwest before, got nothing in financial aid even though both parents are unemployed (i.e. loan city) and no merit scholarships.

I have to admit that the information I have is biased in favor of Michigan. On the interview day, they gave me all the information I could possibly need whereas UCLA did not. I noticed a difference in attitude between teh two schools regarding applicants. I felt that Michigan made every effort to make every effort to share information and keep us informed whereas UCLA made it seem as though we were lucky to interview in the first place. These are just my feelings so obviously they are not fact.

Thanks all. I look forward to your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you get instate tuition in Michigan after the first year? If so, the cost will probably be about equal to UCLA, however, with the cheaper cost of living in Michigan, it may end up being equal or cheaper after four years. If that's a possibility, I wouldn't really consider cost.

I wouldn't worry about being stuck in CA for residency if you go to UCLA...I have a feeling that most Californians want to stay in CA and so that may be a large reason why people at UCLA tend to stay in CA, not because it'd prevent you from going out of state. Both UCLA and Michigan should be able to get you anywhere (of course willing you work for it).

In the end, I'd just say go where you would want to live more for four years. It's only four years, so if you truly want a change of pace, go ahead and do it. Life's pretty short, find the place where you will be happiest and go with it.

UCLA in a heartbeat...so you can be my classmate :)

but seriously...UCLA has great housing guaranteed for entering students at Weyburn, and it might be 3 or 4 thousand more expensive "net" per year, but that is not too much in the long run. You can't beat UCLA's grading system either P/F all 4 years, no internal ranking..it is definitely a good thing :) Students are awesome. Westwood is a great place to live and even if you are not interested in Cali residency, I doubt UCLA would seriously "hurt" your chances!
good luck with your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all you have replied. Because they needed a response so quickly, I've pretty much made my decision. UCLA it is!

welcome aboard !!!!! :) join our facebook group!

Congrats! My vote would be for UCLA but I can understand your situation and feelings for UMich b/c I was put in a similar situation with UCLA/UCSF.

As for UCLA grads matching more to CA programs......it's simply b/c UCLA is a UC school with ALOT of CA residents. There's really no reason for CA residents to leave the state when you have UCLA, UCSF, UCI, UCSD, UCD, Stanford, Loma Linda, and USC to match into. That said, you will have ZERO problem matching in NY if you do well and take care of business at UCLA. Zero problem. UCLA is a top of the line med school.

Here is last year's match list....all the big name represented:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7899028&postcount=47

Congrats on your acceptance to UCLA!! I'm still on the waitlist. I wish I was in your shoes right now.

There is no question here. UCLA is the best and smartest choice. Not only do you have everything at UCLA that michigan can offer you, but it comes at roughly half the price and with a better location (persian girls litter the streets of westwood and they are so ridiculously hot).

Think of where medicine is going in terms of your future reimbursements. Every newly minted doctor tells me the same thing: Go to the CHEAPEST school possible. And with the name recognition UCLA has, you simply cannot beat it.

Bottomline: you made the correct choice.

hooray for UCLA! You get to be my classmate too! =D

I was going to offer you the contact info of a friend of mine, who wants to be a neurosurgeon and is an MS3 at ucla this year (I still can if you want to), but glad to see you chose sunny cali =P

edit: also, if youre interested in off campus housing, PM me lol. I have an empty room in a condo that i'm trying to find an MS1 for lol

There is no question here. UCLA is the best and smartest choice. Not only do you have everything at UCLA that michigan can offer you, but it comes at roughly half the price and with a better location (persian girls litter the streets of westwood and they are so ridiculously hot).

Think of where medicine is going in terms of your future reimbursements. Every newly minted doctor tells me the same thing: Go to the CHEAPEST school possible. And with the name recognition UCLA has, you simply cannot beat it.

Bottomline: you made the correct choice.

haha I love how we always assume everyone is male and is looking for hot girls

Status
Not open for further replies.