UCLA Organic Chemistry Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanerwaner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would appreciate only those who have the experience and knowledge to reply back. No hard feelings :p

So here's the scoop. I'm going to be a junior transfer at UCLA, MIMG major. I will be taking the Chem 20/30 Series. My G-chem series are completed from my CC and for my ochem, I have articulation agreements from my ONE SEMESTER of o-chem at my CC that has given me credit for 30A, and 30BL. I will be taking Chem 30B this coming Fall 2010 Quarter and Chem 30C for the Winter (--> Some medical Schools want 30C). I need to know if I need to also take Chem30CL for medical school?

Please keep in mind that MOST medical schools say they want 1 year of Ochem Lecture with Lab, but its hard to interpret whether or not this also means one year of Laboratory as well. UCLA's basic ochem series is 30A, B, and BL, yet as you can see this is only 2 quarters of lecture and 1 of lab.

If you guys google " UCLA Medical school requirements" you can get a PDF that states:

"Two years of CHEMISTRY (through Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry) ␣ The Chemistry 14-series (through 14D) or the 20/30 series (through 30C) and Biochemistry 153A & 153L can satisfy this requirement."
---> Once again, its hard to interpret whether 30CL is required.

If you check out the UCLA career center website it states:

"Physical, life or non-science majors: Chemistry 20A, 20B/L, 30A/AL, 30B/BL, 30C*; plus 153A/L (biochemistry). *Chem 30CL may not be required for applicants from the life science majors."
---> MIMG is a lifesci major so I guess that a good thing. And notice for Organic Chemistry, they have 3 quarters of lecture (30A, B, C) and one quarter of lab (Chem 30BL) which are BOLDED.

If anyone has specific experience in this area, please get back to me as soon as possible.

Cheers :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent life science grad from UCLA, but unfortunately, I took the 14 series. With the 14 series I only needed 14C, 14CL, and 14D to complete the requirements. That counted as a year of OChem for my requirements. I am pretty sure that you answered your own question by looking on-line, because you most likely shouldn't need 30CL. I am also confused by what you mean for UCLA med school requirements? If you are talking about David Geffen I would look on their website for the most updated requirements.

Lastly, go talk to your departmental consulor (MIMG). I was physci and the physci office was super helpful. They will be able to advise you further as to whether you need 30CL or not, but I would guess that you would not, especially if you are taking 153A and L

Hey,

Thanks for replying back, I appreciate that. Yes, I agree with you. It seems as though I do not need to take Chem30CL especially if students are getting into medical school while only taking 14 series which is 2 quarters of lecture and 1 of lab.

And I'm sorry, did you mean to say that Biochemistry Lab 153AL would substitute for Chem30CL?

Members don't see this ad :)
no. it doesn't substitute as far as I know. IMO you should be fine without CL though. some schools will count 153L as chem but others will not. most consider it bio or require biochem. but again, talk to the MIMG dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.