University of Minnesota- Duluth Interviews 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TR med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started this thread because I've noticed there isn't one for Duluth at this time. Has anyone interviewed there that would like to share their experience? Anyone been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there early last December and got the acceptance phone call last week! I think the reason you don't see much about UMD on SDN is because they only interview around 150 students for 60 spots. Add in their primary care focus, and you really don't pull in a large SDN demographic...

The interview is very low-stress. It is a great opportunity to add your personality into your application materials. You should also expect to explain why you see yourself becoming a rural, primary care physician. They are very up-front about this; it is, after all, the goal of their mission statement! As far as interview format, there are two interviewees. Each person interviews with two different admissions committee members for about 45 minutes to an hour. Afterward two current students host lunch in the cafeteria. They also give you a quick tour of the Medical School, although with 60 students it's not exactly a sprawling facility.

Good luck with your application! :)

Barry

Hi, thanks for posting an SDN thread for Duluth! I interviewed there back in October and found out I got waitlisted sometime in November. Does anybody know about their wait list movement from last year? I wonder how many people from the 60 or so who get in come from the wait list.

Overall, the interview day was really relaxed and comfortable. I also had two one-hour interviews, one was pretty deep and philosophical but the other one was my most laid back interview yet. So I think it really depends on the interviewer. The students were really positive and helpful though, and it seems like everybody kind of knows everybody since it's a pretty small campus. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I just had my interview about a week ago now. It was a lot of fun seeing the school. The students were really nice and I liked that the whole school is in one building. The interviews went well but my second interviewer was a little different. I was being warned by the students all day that he was going to make the interview as awkward as possible. It wasn't to bad but for the first 10 minutes of the interview he was on the phone with his bank. Overall it was a great experience and I really hope to get into this school eventually.

I had my interview at the beginning of Jan. Unfortunately, by the time they got around to my application, 45/60 spots had been filled- at which point they suspended issuing acceptances. So I'm optimistically waiting until mid-April:xf:.

As far as the wait list goes, I think it really depends on what pool you're placed in. It's hard to predict how these things will work out... This is what I was told:

"Although we cannot predict with certainty how many positions will become available, our previous experience indicates that most candidates in the highest priority acceptance pool will be offered a place in the entering class of 2010."

Pipsyg, have you found out if you are on that high priority acceptance list and did they give you a date of when they hand out those last 15 spots? I know that they are reviewing the most recent interviews next tuesday (2/16) and I think I'll find out where I'm sitting that friday.

Yeah, I was placed in the highest priority acceptance pool. I didn't receive my letter until third week, so don't fret if you don't get it right away...

The letter says they have "temporarily suspended issuing acceptances until approximately mid-April, after completing all interviews for the current admissions season." So, no specific date. Good luck!!!

I interviewed at the end of October and was accepted in November. Pretty darn excited!! I am starting to check around about housing information and heard that the admissions office will be sending out emails and contacts to help coordinate housing. Any idea when that might happen? Also, have accepted students started connecting with each other yet? Maybe on facebook or something? Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

I haven't seen any Facebook pages yet, but there are pages for previous classes. It probably wouldn't be bad to follow their lead if you do make one. I haven't heard from any other classmates, but SDN doesn't attract a lot of UMD applicnats anyway.

I can only assume that housing info will come out around May/June, when current students start thinking about moving out. It sounds like there are a lot of grandfathered spots in houses that are passed down from class to class.

Barry

Anyone familiar with or remember "Med 2010"? It was the big curriculum overhaul that the U of M was going to implement and revolutionize the way doctors are trained. :rolleyes:

Well from what I understand, the Main U dropped it, it faded into Admissions Marketing Purgatory, and UMD picked it up and actually made it work... I've been excited to see the changes they've made and (most importantly) what days I can plan on quitting work and starting med school.

It appears a prelim. schedule is out. Check it out. While I'm not going to jump up-and-down over starting with biochem, it does look to be well organized. Morning lectures are followed by afternoon study time or, in the anatomy blocks, cadaver lab. It also appears that they have centered the work on practical, usable information with emphasis on reducing the all day "death-by-powerpoint" marathons. I'm excited to be a part of their inaugural curriculum!

Barry

Barry, we're going to be classmates next semester! Wahoo! I got the good news last week!

I only vaguely remember this "Med 2010" reform. However, I do know that the University of Minnesota Medical School was one of twenty some medical schools noted as having incorporated many of the changes recommended by a board on patients' safety (the name of the board has slipped my mind). I hope that's helpful!

Congrats, Pipsyg! I'm really looking forward to meeting some classmates in June. I've been out of school for a few years, so I guess I'll be the awkward 'old-guy' walking around! :D

I'm also looking forward to this new curriculum. Hopefully it's a departure from the standard "we had to drown in all this irrelevant minutiae, so do you!" and a more practical, useful, and well-rounded approach to the didactic years. I'm sure it will be a lot of work (duh!), but more engaging and clinically relevant.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.