University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine says: "Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items."

When did you submit?

I submitted to TMDSAS on May 29, and my secondary on June 10. Is it possible that they begin interview invites in June? I'm a Texas resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I find it so hard to believe anyone would be interviewing this early on in the application cycle. If I could ask, what are your stats? Maybe your numbers were so impressive they just really wanted to get to you first.

I find it so hard to believe anyone would be interviewing this early on in the application cycle. If I could ask, what are your stats? Maybe your numbers were so impressive they just really wanted to get to you first.

My numbers are below their average, but my graduate GPA is 3.5. I'll not believe it until I receive a call or email from the school. I will be checking my admission status if it changes, for now it shows what I posted above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to check my status but I can't seem to figure out where to go to see that. Any help please?

I, too, have the "you have been invited for an interview" status. I'm assuming we have the invite, but they won't send out the email or call us until closer to the interview date.

I, too, have the "you have been invited for an interview" status. I'm assuming we have the invite, but they won't send out the email or call us until closer to the interview date.

Really, so we have to wait for a phone call or email?

Can one of you lucky guys do us all a big favor and call them and find out? I think it would be very helpful to know if this is the procedure. I just went through the old threads and nothing like that happened. Thanks, guys.

Really, so we have to wait for a phone call or email?

You will most likely receive a phone call from Caroline in admissions setting up a date for you to come in to interview and after you set up a date you will receive a confirmation email (atleast thats how they did it last year). Interviews last year didnt start til the end of July. Goodluck!

Well, that's a nice feature. Think of it as a heads-up to keep an eye out for some good news. Congrats, and get ready!

This is a question directed to current TCOM students, or someone else in the know.

I hope this is not too sensitive or taboo a subject to bring up, but does anyone have any information on current atmosphere at TCOM regarding the semi recent push to establish an MD, DO degree? I have read and know there was heated debate about this and a few faculty changes...can anyone PM me or answer here?

thanks!

This is a question directed to current TCOM students, or someone else in the know.

I hope this is not too sensitive or taboo a subject to bring up, but does anyone have any information on current atmosphere at TCOM regarding the semi recent push to establish an MD, DO degree? I have read and know there was heated debate about this and a few faculty changes...can anyone PM me or answer here?

thanks!

If you're referring to the MD school proposal that was extensively discussed elsewhere on SDN, it's dead. (As you probably know, it was killed in the legislature after opposition from the osteopathic community and over concerns about resources.) Other than that, I'm not aware of anything like what you're talking about.

Last edited:
If you're referring to the MD school proposal that was extensively discussed elsewhere on SDN, it's dead. (As you probably know, it was killed in the legislature after opposition from the osteopathic community and over concerns about resources.) Other than that, I'm not aware of anything like what you're talking about.

We're probably talking about the same thing...here's a link:

http://eyedrd.org/2010/12/resolution-calling-for-degree.html

It was a proposal to change the degree to MD, DO (medical doctor with a diploma in Osteopathy). It seems like it ruffled some feathers and I just wondered if this is a non issue now, or if its a sensitive subject.

Either way, TCOM is the premier DO school in the country(at least among them) and has accomplished so much. They have supplied Texas with more primary care than all other Texas medical schools combined!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard about the new school proposal in our AMSA meeting. According to my relative who works in Austin, it will be years before Texas builds another medical school because of the budget.

On a different note, has anyone on here ever called the admissions office about anything? I imagine they have a very busy office, and I wonder how receptive they are to "dumb" questions.

I am surprised that my admission status page is as shown below, is this for real?

.You have been invited for an interview. .
.Academic Institution.
.Term.
.Academic Career.
.Program.
.Application Number.
.Application Date.
.* UNT Health Science Center .
.Fall 2013 Medical Term .
.Osteopathic Medical School .
.Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine .

.06/12/2012 .
.This application is Complete. .
.Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine .
.Phone: 800 535 TCOM .
.Contact: [email protected] .

Sounds legit! People started getting II's around this time last year - wait for a phone call and they'll tell you the date. Congrats!!
Also, their status pages usually come in advance of the phone call..

On a different note, has anyone on here ever called the admissions office about anything? I imagine they have a very busy office, and I wonder how receptive they are to "dumb" questions.

yes, their office is a busy place. but they're nice people,, i don't know why you hesitate. i assume it's something important to you

yes, their office is a busy place. but they're nice people,, i don't know why you hesitate. i assume it's something important to you

Ill second that...all my communications with them have been great. Very nice people at TCOM

Saw all the talk of "is this really an interview invite," so I had to check my own..turns out I had missed that little tidbit when i checked out my application yesterday morning.

I called Caroline (btw the folks in the admission office are a nice as they come) and she said that I did in fact get an interview and they were waiting to call people until next week.

Thanks, guys. I found what I was looking for on the website, but good to know if the need arises.

And congrats to the first batch of invites! Awesome.

I just got a call from Carolina and my interview is July 31. I'm so excited. unbelievable!

I just got a call from Carolina and my interview is July 31. I'm so excited. unbelievable!

Awesome! very jealous right now ;) Hope it goes well for you, TCOM is a great school

Ahh, I still have to take my MCAT on June 21st. Why so early?!!

Congrats to all already getting the interview invite!

Last edited:
Ahh, I still have to take my MCAT on June 21st. Why so early?!!

Right there with you Ashh! My wife went to TCU and we would love to end up back in Fort Worth.

the timing seems normal. interviews run from july through december..
but i don't remember seeing that heads up status on the website when i applied, all i got was a phone call from caroline (and then she sent me an email with an agenda and instructions)
good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
if anyone sees Caroline, could you let her know that I'm also ready for an interview?

thanks ;)

...I hate waiting! :boom:

if anyone sees Caroline, could you let her know that I'm also ready for an interview?

thanks ;)

...I hate waiting! :boom:

Yea you think waiting for interviews is bad it only gets worse after interviews waiting to hear about acceptances. Just weather the storm, try to keep yourself occupied so you dont stress, and stay positive through the process as much as possible. Goodluck and if you have any questions about the interview process you can send me a private message.

Does anyone know how much advance notice TCOM gives for interviews? I'm at UT right now working a summer job, but I have a trip planned with family. I'm just trying to get a general idea.
Thanks a lot.

We're probably talking about the same thing...here's a link:

http://eyedrd.org/2010/12/resolution-calling-for-degree.html

It was a proposal to change the degree to MD, DO (medical doctor with a diploma in Osteopathy). It seems like it ruffled some feathers and I just wondered if this is a non issue now, or if its a sensitive subject.

Either way, TCOM is the premier DO school in the country(at least among them) and has accomplished so much. They have supplied Texas with more primary care than all other Texas medical schools combined!

To more fully address this - there are still some people in the administration who would probably like to see UNTHSC associated with an MD degree in some way, but that is not going to happen for now. As stated earlier, Texas just doesn't have the budget for a new medical school. There were some pretty heated debates about it in 2011, but it's all gone away at this time. We are getting a pharmacy school, which most people feel will compliment TCOM very nicely.

Good luck on your applications everyone!

Could someone please post the secondary prompt for this school? I'm still waiting for my primary to be verified by TMDSAS, but I am curious as to what the essay is.. It would be greatly appreciated!

My status says im invited for an interview... I am still waiting patiently for a phone call though. :(

Does anyone know how much advance notice TCOM gives for interviews? I'm at UT right now working a summer job, but I have a trip planned with family. I'm just trying to get a general idea.
Thanks a lot.

From what I've read, maybe 2 to 4 weeks?

Has anybody that got an interview actually received that email from them? When I talked with Caroline she said that they were having trouble figuring out where to have people park due to construction on campus. I guess I have a month before any of that really matters, but it would be nice to have everything planned out as early as possible to save a few grey hairs

I've been neurotically checking my portal to see if my status has changed. I'm out of the USA right now without cell service, too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens if I'm lucky enough to get an invite and they can't reach me by phone.

Yea you think waiting for interviews is bad it only gets worse after interviews waiting to hear about acceptances. Just weather the storm, try to keep yourself occupied so you dont stress, and stay positive through the process as much as possible. Goodluck and if you have any questions about the interview process you can send me a private message.

thank you, and I'm sure you are right! hopefully I will need to take you up on that offer...

To more fully address this - there are still some people in the administration who would probably like to see UNTHSC associated with an MD degree in some way, but that is not going to happen for now. As stated earlier, Texas just doesn't have the budget for a new medical school. There were some pretty heated debates about it in 2011, but it's all gone away at this time. We are getting a pharmacy school, which most people feel will compliment TCOM very nicely.

Good luck on your applications everyone!

thanks for the update

Has anybody that got an interview actually received that email from them? When I talked with Caroline she said that they were having trouble figuring out where to have people park due to construction on campus. I guess I have a month before any of that really matters, but it would be nice to have everything planned out as early as possible to save a few grey hairs

Seriously parking? You'll have no problems at TCOM w parking. And if that's giving u gray hairs you'll get an ulcer planning your parking for a UT Houston invite.

I've been neurotically checking my portal to see if my status has changed. I'm out of the USA right now without cell service, too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens if I'm lucky enough to get an invite and they can't reach me by phone.

Portal usually changes before call. If u see it change just send admissions an email telling them you are out of the country.

Has anybody that got an interview actually received that email from them? When I talked with Caroline she said that they were having trouble figuring out where to have people park due to construction on campus.

I don't remember seeing any construction in that lot the last time I drove by. Maybe they're planning something. Whatever Caroline has in mind, it shouldn't be too far a walk.

Good luck to all applicants! and congrats to the first batch of interviews! TCOM is a great school.

I called the admissions office today, I was told that the person who schedules the interviews was out this week. I think it means that we'll have to wait till next week to get a call...

You have to wait for them to give you an EUID via email. But you can fill out / submit the secondary before that, you don't need a EUID for that.

Thanks for the reply

This is the one I thought too, and it may be the right place, but I can't seem to log in. I always get a system error...no matter how many times I reset my password or request my ID, it just gives a system error.
I had the same problem!

That's amazing that some of you guys are already getting interviews! Congratulations! Texas is an amazing school!
I'm one of the few that are fighting for the out-of-state spots. Fingers crossed! Good luck on the interviews!