University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you might just get in. a lot of people see the 10% oos cap and think they don't have a chance so they don't even bother. but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to apply thru tmdsas and there is no deposit if you get accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

you might just get in. a lot of people see the 10% oos cap and think they don't have a chance so they don't even bother. but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to apply thru tmdsas and there is no deposit if you get accepted.
That would be awesome! I saw that not many OOS apply to the school which was encouraging. I'm just waiting on my MCAT score.

TMDSAS finally transmitted my app to UNT. I was getting worried I had done something wrong because I had been sitting in processing for about 3 weeks.
Now on to the secondary...

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS finally transmitted my app to UNT. I was getting worried I had done something wrong because I had been sitting in processing for about 3 weeks.
Now on to the secondary...

you're still plenty early...get on that secondary! :)

Anyone getting any more interview invites?? Sure would be nice

Portal status changed to "you have been invited for an interview". OOS applicant.

Aww thanks. I hope so. I am still finishing up my secondary. Fun.. Let us know how your interview goes!
You're giving us OOS hope!

Just got off the phone with Caroline! Interview set for 7/31.

Portal status says I've been invited for an interview! Very excited. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! When did you submit your secondary?

Thanks! I am a Texas resident. I submitted my secondary a few days ago.

My status was changed too!!
Im instate with above ave GPA and below ave MCAT.

Congrats! When did you submit your TMDSAS and your secondary?

And for all of you who have received an interview already, did you have a D.O. letter or D.O. shadowing experience? Congrats to you all, so exciting!

Congrats! When did you submit your TMDSAS and your secondary?

And for all of you who have received an interview already, did you have a D.O. letter or D.O. shadowing experience? Congrats to you all, so exciting!

i submitted tmdsas around 5/20 & secondary 6/5

yes to your other two questions as well..

good luck

Oh okay, do you mind me asking if you were above their GPA and MCAT averages? Congrats on your interview!

Looks like he's applied to all MD schools, other than UNT, so Im guessing he has higher than TCOM ave stats,( or else he's wasting some money ;) )

Thanks! TMDSAS was submitted 5/16 and sent to schools 5/22.

I had my stats on MDApps but decided to take em down until after application season's over. I'm not sure what TCOM's average stats are, but I'm 31-34 and 3.6-3.9 range. Nothing incredible but I think that's slightly above average. Hopefully that helps fight the OOS situation.

Looks like he's applied to all MD schools, other than UNT, so Im guessing he has higher than TCOM ave stats,( or else he's wasting some money ;) )

Haha compared to my AMCAS fees...Applying to all 8 TMDSAS schools is like a drop in the bucket. My bank account is begging me to stop and I haven't even submitted any secondaries.

No DO letter or experience here.
Wow really? And you're an out of state student? Must be your stats and EC's then?

I just submitted my secondary yesterday. I have tons of experience and two DO letters but my GPA is a little lower than their averages. I don't have my MCAT scores yet. I'm getting the feeling they like stats more than experience. I guess we'll see... :rolleyes:

Just because I don't have DO experience doesn't mean I don't have awesome EC's...It is still a medical school after all, and I have a lot of medical experience. I doubt they just looked at my stats and decided to interview me. Really, I think TX schools are awesome for looking at the whole applicant. Keep your head up and stay positive (I know easier said than done). It's still reaaaalllly early in the game. I'm right there with you on the anxiety though :) Best of luck!

Just because I don't have DO experience doesn't mean I don't have awesome EC's...It is still a medical school after all, and I have a lot of medical experience. I doubt they just looked at my stats and decided to interview me. Really, I think TX schools are awesome for looking at the whole applicant. Keep your head up and stay positive (I know easier said than done). It's still reaaaalllly early in the game. I'm right there with you on the anxiety though :) Best of luck!
Sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you said you didn't have ANY experience. LOL

Anyways, I am sure you do have good EC's and you totally deserve the interview. Best of luck to you!

Hey guys, I have a couple questions regarding the secondary application for TCOM.
1. Can we go fill out the secondary on their website the second your TMDSAS is transmitted?? OR do we have to wait for them to send you an email link?
2. Does their secondary application have any essays?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I have a couple questions regarding the secondary application for TCOM.
1. Can we go fill out the secondary on their website the second your TMDSAS is transmitted?? OR do we have to wait for them to send you an email link?
2. Does their secondary application have any essays?

Thanks!

1. Yes to the first. Actually, you don't have to wait until TMDSAS transmits.
2. Yes, but they're very short, like a paragraph.

Last edited:
Thanks! Also can you get interview invites even if they don't have the LORs yet?

Interview invite for August 7th!

Primary Complete: 6/28
Secondary Complete: 7/5

WOW that was fast! I wish I didn't have to sit and wait for my committee letter till August 1st. So annoying.

I was invited for an interview for July 30 but I switch to August 7. Have you received any email from Ms Caroline? She called me about the interview about three weeks ago, and she promised sending me an email about the interview day schedule.

That's awesome, congrats to you!! Good luck on your interview!

I am getting a bit worried, as both my primary and secondary for this school was transmitted in mid-June, I am a Texas resident, and my stats are above their average. I'm starting to suspect something is wrong with my secondary... =/ Would love to attend this school.

I was invited for an interview for July 30 but I switch to August 7. Have you received any email from Ms Caroline? She called me about the interview about three weeks ago, and she promised sending me an email about the interview day schedule.

Interview for August 7th as well. :D

She told me over the phone that I wouldn't see an email for another 2 weeks and to not worry...

She told me over the phone that I wouldn't see an email for another 2 weeks and to not worry...

Interview for August 2nd. I was told about a week and it took two, but I did get the email with the instructions today. I'm sure the office is very busy this time of year.

Also, congrats to everyone getting interviews.

That's awesome, congrats to you!! Good luck on your interview!

I am getting a bit worried, as both my primary and secondary for this school was transmitted in mid-June, I am a Texas resident, and my stats are above their average. I'm starting to suspect something is wrong with my secondary... =/ Would love to attend this school.

Thanks! I was pretty surprised. I wouldn't be concerned yet. It's still ridiculously early in the cycle.

Good to know! I've been checking my email since the phone call. I was wondering why it never came. I guess we'll just have to wait then.

See you both on the 7th!

See u on the 7th. I am a Texas resident but I'll be flying from New York as i am in the Masters program at TouroCOM, New York.

I can definitely say that they don't look just at stats and that stats are not enough. I consider mine to be decent, and I submitted very early. I received an email acknowledging the receipt of my application on June 6th. I have not seen any update on my status page.
I have no DO letter and zero DO experience. A bunch of publication (as I was a scientist during my first career).
The interesting thing is that I would have guessed that TCOM, given the philosophy regarding the "applicant as a whole", would have been one of the first schools I would hear from. Puzzling...
Anyway, congratulations to all with invites. I am sure you will enjoy.

Don't give up yet redoitall. It's still early in the game. Hopefully you'll hear something soon.

Don't give up yet redoitall. It's still early in the game. Hopefully you'll hear something soon.
Thx for the positive vibes. Enjoy the ride.
Heck I live in Dallas, so it would have been an easy interview to go to. Keep waiting and :xf:.

Thx for the positive vibes. Enjoy the ride.
Heck I live in Dallas, so it would have been an easy interview to go to. Keep waiting and :xf:.

Hey no problem. Thanks for the well wishes too. I'm actually looking forward to the trip. I've lived in Texas all of my life, but have never visited Dallas or Ft. Worth.

In case others don't know, according to TCOM's website, Fairfield Inn next to TCOM offers a discount rate for interviews 89.99 a night.

I can definitely say that they don't look just at stats and that stats are not enough..

I can confirm that. I am a non trad with meh stats, 3.35 (3.27 sGPA) and a 32. I got an interview on 7/31 before my DO letter ever made it to them. My ECs in medicine are fairly average I guess (mostly volunteer work with a bit of MD shadowing), but I would consider the rest of my story to be rock solid. Tons of leadership experience through the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and the Army, lots of varied volunteer experience with undeserved populations, and success in an unrelated professional field.

I can definitely say that they don't look just at stats and that stats are not enough. I consider mine to be decent, and I submitted very early. I received an email acknowledging the receipt of my application on June 6th. I have not seen any update on my status page.
I have no DO letter and zero DO experience. A bunch of publication (as I was a scientist during my first career).
The interesting thing is that I would have guessed that TCOM, given the philosophy regarding the "applicant as a whole", would have been one of the first schools I would hear from. Puzzling...
Anyway, congratulations to all with invites. I am sure you will enjoy.

Wow that is puzzling. I hope you get the call soon! It sounds like you have a lot to offer.

My committee letter is seriously delaying this process for me. I'm getting so frustrated. I hope it doesn't mess things up too badly but I won't have my committee letter until August 1st.

I have been trying to find my application status page on TCOM's site but I can't seem to. All I can find is the place where you go to complete the secondary and I put in my ID and PIN and it just says that my application is complete so I can't see it.

Do you guys have the link to the application status page? thanks! and good luck!

Do you all think that TCOM is sending out interview invites to 30+ MCAT, above average GPA's first? It seems that a lot of people on here that have already received interviews have 32-36 MCAT's