University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there is some kind of queuing & juggling algorithm but i doubt it's based on stats alone, judging from my experience & others'.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you all think that TCOM is sending out interview invites to 30+ MCAT, above average GPA's first? It seems that a lot of people on here that have already received interviews have 32-36 MCAT's
No, probably not. 36 MCAT here, with 4.0 uGPA. No invite and submitted early.
So it is not about numbers, but more likely a comprehensive look at the application. I know that another individual with 37MCAT and good GPA didn't get invited either, almost as "if numbers didn't work for you".
I don't know what it is, but again, I got confirmation early june that they received my app, and nothing ever since...
Oh and I got 2 invites from other TX schools, so definitely TCOM just found something that didn't work out for them in my app.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah OK.
Too bad they don't actually release that score. I think there are things that I have and other that I don't, so all in all, I would expect to have an average score, perhaps explaining why I didn't receive any invite.

Ah OK.
Too bad they don't actually release that score. I think there are things that I have and other that I don't, so all in all, I would expect to have an average score, perhaps explaining why I didn't receive any invite.

There is always the idea that you are more likely to accept an MD offer with your stats...many DO schools would turn you down. If you really want to go DO, I think a letter of interest might suit your situation. Just a thought

There is always the idea that you are more likely to accept an MD offer with your stats...many DO schools would turn you down. If you really want to go DO, I think a letter of interest might suit your situation. Just a thought
:thumbup: Totally agree.

WIth a wife and 2 kids, along with a mortgage in Dallas, The two top choice schools are in Dallas for me, based purely on pragmatic circumstances. I didn't even fill up AMCAS because it wouldn't be feasible for me to leave the state (cost and distance).
From there, I would be willing to go to any school that accepts me in TX, of course looking at distance as the main factor.
Do yeah, the DO is quite up there. But I wouldn't quite understand that they would discard me just because of my numbers. There must be something missing in my app.
Note that 3 years ago, I went to visit the Director of Admission. Quite frankly he was quite discouraging, namely because I have a foreign PhD and would have to retake all my pre-reqs, which I have done since (still a few missing). So from the get go, I must say that I didn't receive the echo from this school that I did from the MD school in Dallas, where they actually were quite encouraging.
Not to say that the MD school (UTSW which is very competitive) will accept me, but quite honestly, after leaving the admission office of the DO school, I figured, there is no way I will make it here...
So it is not all about numbers. I do hope though that I am not discarded because I have better MD chance. That would be very sad. I am repeating to myself that this is a lack of DO letter or shadowing, most likely and volunteering that is not on par with others.
So at some point, I may well follow the advice about the letter of intent. Along with the appointment 3 years ago, perhaps it will show some motivation, and perhaps even enough to warrant an interview. Who knows.

I received a confirmation e-mail from TCOM on 6/20 saying that they had received my TMDSAS. Then a confirmation e-mail for my secondary on 6/28. If I haven't heard anything from them regarding an interview offer yet, does that mean that I probably won't be getting an interview? It just seems like people who submitted their secondary later than me have already received interviews and I haven't heard anything, so does that mean that they've already looked through everything and decided not give me an offer?

Thanks for any insight!

i have a friend at a&m med school who got rejected by tcom post-interview. so yeah... anyhow it's way too early to worry about anything.

I received a confirmation e-mail from TCOM on 6/20 saying that they had received my TMDSAS. Then a confirmation e-mail for my secondary on 6/28. If I haven't heard anything from them regarding an interview offer yet, does that mean that I probably won't be getting an interview? It just seems like people who submitted their secondary later than me have already received interviews and I haven't heard anything, so does that mean that they've already looked through everything and decided not give me an offer?

Thanks for any insight!
Did you log-in and check your application status to see if there is an answer there?

I don't think that's completely true. I know quite a few people with MCAT/GPA well above TCOM's average who have interviewed there. It's still SUPER early in the cycle, hence why not everyone who will interview has received an invite. It's barely July!

there is no way they could have gone through all the apps. plus tcom is not real full-strength because it's still summer vacation. i don't think all faculty members are back - and the committee is made up of faculty... but, everyone is coming back soon - the incoming class is matriculating next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, like every 3 minutes (i know the question was not for me though:D)

haha yeah same!! That's why I am starting to worry... :/ It just worries me since people are already getting invites who submitted later than me. Hoping that it's just taking them longer to read my stuff and that they haven't completely discarded me from the interview invite pile yet!

I do not think is all about numbers because my numbers are below their averages, however, my graduate GPA is 3.5 and I have my interview on August 7.

Yeah, like every 3 minutes

Its enough to give you a complex. I jump every time I get an email just to find out that my wife has signed up for some other random retailers email list.

Its enough to give you a complex. I jump every time I get an email just to find out that my wife has signed up for some other random retailers email list.
LOL! I jump out of my skin too when my phone beeps for an email.

LOL! I jump out of my skin too when my phone beeps for an email.
I am such an addict, I have even paid 99 cents for the SDN mobile application. It works great. It may become a bit too cannibalizing though.
I am frantically checking UT San Antonio and Texas A&M threads because given the timing last year, the first invites will go out in a few days.

I can confirm that. I am a non trad with meh stats, 3.35 (3.27 sGPA) and a 32. I got an interview on 7/31 before my DO letter ever made it to them. My ECs in medicine are fairly average I guess (mostly volunteer work with a bit of MD shadowing), but I would consider the rest of my story to be rock solid. Tons of leadership experience through the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and the Army, lots of varied volunteer experience with undeserved populations, and success in an unrelated professional field.

What year are you from A&M?

Hey guys,

There are some question in the TCOM secondary such as " if there are changes in TMDSAS application ...please indicate them" or "do you consider yourself disadvantaged"

If you don't have anything to write for those questions, did you leave it blank, or did you type in "Not applicable" in the text areas??

Either way, they are smart enough to figure it out. Personnally I left them blank.

Sent with SDN mobile. Excuse brevity and misspellings.

No one is privy to the story behind that number, so I wouldn't waste time speculating about it. Besides, once you're in med school, the only number that matters is your score on the next exam (and the next one, and the next one - and rinse and repeat for 7+ years).

Last edited:
Does anyone know which days TCOM interviews? I heard it was Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays? Can anyone confirm?

Tuesday interviews sounds right. Mine is on 7/31 and the only other date Ive seen is 8/7, both are Tuesdays

Tuesday interviews sounds right. Mine is on 7/31 and the only other date Ive seen is 8/7, both are Tuesdays
:love: Are you excited????? Have your interview clothes nice and crisp?

Really excited. To be totally honest I'd probably take tcom over most the MD schools. Part of me wants to only get in there to keep from catching crap about choosing a DO over MD.

As far as the interview clothes go, I've got a great Hawaiian shirt pressed and ready to go. The only thing left to decide is flip flops or boat shoes. I'm thinking Sperry's, I mean it is a Med school interview.

Here's a question for current students. Unt is known for making UT Austin look conservative, does that transfer to the Med school?

Really excited. To be totally honest I'd probably take tcom over most the MD schools. Part of me wants to only get in there to keep from catching crap about choosing a DO over MD.

As far as the interview clothes go, I've got a great Hawaiian shirt pressed and ready to go. The only thing left to decide is flip flops or boat shoes. I'm thinking Sperry's, I mean it is a Med school interview.
:laugh: Don't forget the hawaiian lei!

I think DO is actually better than MD. If you're going for a military residency, then it won't matter at all. If you're going for a civilian residency, then I think it might matter a little bit, but your board scores are what will really matter the most - or so I'm told.

Dressing like that it sounds like you're an E2 fighter. But I think you're a street fighter, right?

Here's a question for current students. Unt is known for making UT Austin look conservative, does that transfer to the Med school?

No, UNT HSC is a completely separate campus quite far away from Denton. And they don't have anything close to a North Gate or a 6th Street. But they do have a 7th street that is relatively close to campus, but it's not really a college student hang out.

The atmosphere is easygoing and laid back, but TCOM is not a place for slackers. The pace is grueling in some classes, and many of the exams are brutal. But most students here are serious when it comes to study, and it works out well. (Partly because nobody wants an invite to the student performance committee. LOL.)

Otherwise, there are not many rules. Med school is hard enough as it is, so everyone tries to help. The profs really are a good bunch, and they take student feedback seriously - I've seen this many times.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a phone call after your status changes to "invited for interview"?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a phone call after your status changes to "invited for interview"?

yeah I'd like to know that as well. It's been about 10 days since my status was changed but still no call. Now I jump every time my phone rings :(

yeah I'd like to know that as well. It's been about 10 days since my status was changed but still no call. Now I jump every time my phone rings :(

It took a couple of weeks for me. I did the same thing when the phone rang lol

Mine is on August 2nd, which is a Thursday. The only dates I've see on SDN are July 31st and August 7th though.

My status changed! I'm ecstatic. I wish I could set a special ringtone for Caroline! :love:

(My stats are just above average, plus two years working full-time in healthcare to support a struggling family).

how long after your primary is transmitted and secondary is submitted is that you get your log in information?

Also, do they invite you to interviews if they don't have your letters?

how long after your primary is transmitted and secondary is submitted is that you get your log in information?

Also, do they invite you to interviews if they don't have your letters?

Took about a week maybe two for me. I got my invite before my extra DO letter got there, but the other ones had at least made it to TMDSAS.

Dressing like that it sounds like you're an E2 fighter. But I think you're a street fighter, right?
Yup, and if you got that just from my initials, i guess we can safely assume you did whip out at one point

Does anyone know which days TCOM interviews? I heard it was Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays? Can anyone confirm?

it's tuesdays and thursdays. the administrative offices are closed on weekends

The atmosphere is easygoing and laid back, but TCOM is not a place for slackers. The pace is grueling in some classes, and many of the exams are brutal. But most students here are serious when it comes to study, and it works out well. (Partly because nobody wants an invite to the student performance committee. LOL.)

Otherwise, there are not many rules. Med school is hard enough as it is, so everyone tries to help. The profs really are a good bunch, and they take student feedback seriously - I've seen this many times.

no kidding. new students are getting an ipad on top of their ultrabook because we suggested it...