University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still interviewing out-of-staters?

They were. There were people from Utah and California in my interview group, but they are completely done doing interviews at this point (or that is what the assistant dean of admissions told us...I'm doing a masters here now)

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to say **** TCOM

Sending out REJECTION LETTERS a week before the match. Don't even get to enjoy it.

**** TCOM

Did they really send you a rejection letter? When did they send it and when did you interview? That's crazy that they did it pre-match day

Members don't see this ad :)
just got it in the mail today
interviewed in October

Sorry! I got a letter that I was waitlisted on Fri!

Sending out REJECTION LETTERS a week before the match. Don't even get to enjoy it.

**** TCOM

take it down a notch, ive been getting rejection letters from various texas schools for the past few weeks.

Is that typical to get a rejection/wait list letter in the mail before the match?

My friend got a nice thin letter from San Antonio last week, which leads me to believe that the timing is not unique to TCOM. To me anything is better than silence. Only a few more days to go!! :xf: :luck:

P.S.: Another friend and I visited some hospitals on the TCOM list last weekend. We were extremely impressed with Cook Children's. We had no idea it was such a huge hospital and rated among the best in the country. Harris Methodist was also very impressive and very nice throughout. Huge ER, similar to Parkland. JPS didn't seem to have as many beds, but it's a Level 1 trauma center. It's awesome that TCOM rotates through these hospitals. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Is that typical to get a rejection/wait list letter in the mail before the match?

They told us during my interview that they'll send out rejections early before those match days. Although, I didn't know they'd send out waitlist letters too. That's new to me.

Only a few days to go for you in-staters! Then Feb 2nd they start pulling from the waitlist for us out-of-staters! Fingers crossed...

:eek:

**** TCOM

Sorry that you got that letter but I am even more sorry about the way you are taking/reacting to it, unfortunately your post speaks volumes about you and the way you react under stressful situations. Remember that they do monitor this and other medical forums and they keep tabs on individual files... I am just saying

Imagine a doctor starting to yell F... this F... that as soon as frustration sets in...

:eek:

Sorry that you got that letter but I am even more sorry about the way you are taking/reacting to it, unfortunately your post speaks volumes about you and the way you react under stressful situations. Remember that they do monitor this and other medical forums and they keep tabs on individual files... I am just saying

Imagine a doctor starting to yell F... this F... that as soon as frustration sets in...

+1. Well stated. I truly hope the best comes for the original poster, but this quote is speaking truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Application status is offline pending the results of the February 1, 2013 Medical School Admissions Match"

If the application status says it is offline pending the match...does this mean you're waitlisted/accepted/rejected?

I think the question is, does anyone who got a wait list/rejection letter see their status having been changed to "Application status is offline pending the results of the February 1, 2013 Medical School Admissions Match"?

I was waitlisted and the status changed "Application status is offline pending the results of the February 1, 2013 Medical School Admissions Match" I think it is everyone's status changed to that.

Last edited:
Interesting. I would've thought that they'd have sent us folks that didn't even interview a rejection letter first. I've yet to receive one and my status still says "application received."

I'm sure NINisGREAT was just trying to make some humor out of his/her situation. But I still echo what the others above have posted. A good measure of character isn't when everything is going your way but when things aren't.

Hey guys! Has anyone else gotten a rejection/wait-list letter yet? I have not received anything yet and am wondering what that means. Should I be hopeful for the 1st?! I interviewed in early December

SO NERVOUS!

I heard somewhere that snail mail takes only one day to reach most places within the state. I have not received a thin letter as of today, so I'm going to pretend TCOM didn't send out another batch. No news is good news. For now. :xf:

I wonder if they are only sending the rejection/waitlist letters to those who have ranked TCOM first. For example, if you have TCOM ranked 2/2 on your list, getting a rejection/waitlist letter is effectively telling you that you did not match to any school, is it not? Because I don't think they send out letters if you match to a higher school since that lower ranked schools are automatically dropped. I wonder if they hold some of those letters and send them out later.

I just called Patrick in the admissions office. He said that as of right now, if you were not rejected, that you are on the wait list because you are waiting to be matched. He said that those who do not match Feb 1 are then put on the true wait list. So I'm not sure what wait list letters people have been getting.

I ranked TCOM first, and I haven't received a letter. I'm hoping this is good news *fingers crossed*

I wonder if they are only sending the rejection/waitlist letters to those who have ranked TCOM first. For example, if you have TCOM ranked 2/2 on your list, getting a rejection/waitlist letter is effectively telling you that you did not match to any school, is it not? Because I don't think they send out letters if you match to a higher school since that lower ranked schools are automatically dropped. I wonder if they hold some of those letters and send them out later.

I think that it means that they did not rank you in their match process. They send a list of applicants that they want to accept and rank them by how much they want that person to come to their school. I assume that they only put like 2-3 times their class size worth of names on the list and everyone else gets wait-listed/rejected. Then if they have any seats left post match they pull from the wait-list. This is just a guess though.

I just called Patrick in the admissions office. He said that as of right now, if you were not rejected, that you are on the wait list because you are waiting to be matched. He said that those who do not match Feb 1 are then put on the true wait list. So I'm not sure what wait list letters people have been getting.

A wait list... for the wait list? lol

**** TCOM

close your eyes
flash forward some years from now. You've just graduated from ( you fill in the blank medical school) and got one of your top choices for residency. You take that obligatory graduation photo and are genuinely happy. open your eyes and know this can still be you.

I don't know your exact situation, but if you've gotten in somewhere, realize that at the end of the day you will still be a doctor. It's a privilege to practice medicine and getting rejected is unfortunate, but it shouldn't deter you that much from the ultimate goal, which is why we are ALL here in the first place.

Ok guys, talked with Patrick again and a lot of ambiguity was cleared up. Here's what I got.

If you got a waitlist letter, it means your name was sent to TMDSAS for the list of applicants to be matched. There is no true wait list until after the match.

So at this point, you are either rejected or going to the match. He said they send out wait list letters to all students that were not rejected to let them know that their application had not been rejected.

anyone else ready to stay up Thursday manically hitting refresh? :cool::thumbup:

Ok guys, talked with Patrick again and a lot of ambiguity was cleared up. Here's what I got.

If you got a waitlist letter, it means your name was sent to TMDSAS for the list of applicants to be matched. There is no true wait list until after the match.

So at this point, you are either rejected or going to the match. He said they send out wait list letters to all students that were not rejected to let them know that their application had not been rejected.

Ok so if you didn't receive a waitlist letter in the mail.....?

not sure because I did not get one yet either. But I called and he said that my name went to the match. I guess you can call him.

If you did not get a rejection you should be good

Yeah it still doesnt make sense. Oh well. We are almost to match day so we will find out soon if this distinction means anything.

anyone else ready to stay up Thursday manically hitting refresh? :cool::thumbup:

Please dont do this, class of 2015 didnt come live until 9 the next morning.

not sure because I did not get one yet either. But I called and he said that my name went to the match. I guess you can call him.

If you did not get a rejection you should be good

Yall are crazy, theres nothing to read into this. The waitlist letter was sent becuase hes low on the list, if you didnt get one that doesnt mean you are going to match and it doesnt mean you are not going to match.

So I interviewed in November and since then my status has been under review. But I just checked and it has changed to "Your application has been withdrawn." I didn't rank tcom first but I certainly did not try to withdraw my app. Anyone else get this? I'm going to assume I've been rejected. I'm not able to check if I've received a letter until Wednesday because I've put my mailing address as my permanent but I go to school in a different location.

Mine also says "your application has been withdrawn." I pre-matched at tcom but ranked it below 2 other schools I interviewed at. The status isn't official but I'm guessing I probably matched to one of the other 2 schools I ranked. It's strange they'd change the status already though. I should note that I never withdrew my pre-match, it was the only one I received.

I have not received a thin letter as of today

the prematch acceptance letters where thin letters, too. So if your head isnt already screwed up enough as it is...

TCOM said they had a record number of applicants this year:

During the past five years, TCOM’s application rate has risen 33 percent, compared with 15 percent at other state medical schools, it said. TCOM applications have increased each of the past 12 years. The osteopathic medical school this year had a record number of applicants: 2,730—or 11 for every available position.

http://healthcare.dmagazine.com/201...ical-school-applicant-increase-tops-in-texas/

So I just called TCOM and they said the status "you're application has been withdrawn" should not have shown up and it's a technical error. The system released the status too early i suppose. They said it should read something like pending until Friday and they can't tell me anything else at this point.

My buddy who works in IT at a university says a withdrawn status means the info is closed out, no longer accessible to you. It doesn't mean anybody withdrew your app.

Everyone relax! All this speculating just makes everyone nervous, and nobody can definitively say what the status's on the website mean. Just wait patient and do things to take your mind off the Match. Well all know our fate then, but till then, go enjoy yourselves.

For those of us who did not get an interview invite there is still a tiny grain of hope left.....here is Caroline's response when I asked her about rejection letters:

"Hi, it probably wouldn't be for a while, the decision to complete interviewing for the cycle wouldn't be made until after the TX match process most likely, until that point there is still a possibility that our un-interviewed applicants with completed files might be called for interview. I believe we have scheduled all our planned interviews at this point, so the odds are not that good, but in years past we have made a decision to do more interviews later in the cycle so it's not out of the question. I hope that helps, sorry I don't have a more definitive answer!"

There is always the option of transferring into TCOM from a different school if you want to. The reputation, the cheap tuition and the location are worth a try in my opinion. They just put a transfer student on YouTube. I am subscriber of their channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhBcS3LwyBM

Everyone relax! All this speculating just makes everyone nervous, and nobody can definitively say what the status's on the website mean. Just wait patient and do things to take your mind off the Match. Well all know our fate then, but till then, go enjoy yourselves.

Good advice, but easier said than done. From one texan to another I like your picture. That said, if anyone does not want to stress I recommend the obvious, do not get on the site. I was doing good until a week ago. Now one day away, I cannot contain myself. I want to go to TCOM so badly and I really hope I get in.

Now let me ask a question. What evidence is there to support the idea that if you have not received a letter (rejection/waitlist) you will match to a school?
Feel free to speculate or provide theories.

Do they send emails also or does the status just change on the site?

Cant Sleep! Almost here!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ugh...not posted yet...going to sleep and hoping to wake to a nice surprise.