University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not match today, what can you tell me about the bridge program? Have applications to that already come due?

The bridge program is for about 10 students that are given a direct route through the MedSci program with no application and guaranteed TCOM acceptance pending MS completion. These students are sent a letter by US mail. If you didn't match but want to complete the MedSci program to boost your stats, their application just opened and if you complete the program in good standing you will be guaranteed an interview. Acceptance rate from the program to TCOM is about 80% from what I have heard. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give a link to where this MS bridge program is located on their website? I want to read more about it. Is this a special path separate from the regular postbac for Med Sci?
Thanks-

Can you give a link to where this MS bridge program is located on their website? I want to read more about it. Is this a special path separate from the regular postbac for Med Sci?
Thanks-

It's not on the website and not really an advertised program. It is specifically for a few students that the AdCom really liked and want to matriculate to TCOM but felt needed some more relevant coursework to prepare them for medical school. There is nothing one can do as a prospective student to get into the bridge program. It is different from traditional post-bacc MedSci because there is no application to the GSBS and no re-application to TCOM. Bridge students are also exempt from a couple of MedSci courses such as MCAT prep. That's about all I know at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct, it is basically by invitation only. Basically they liked your app, but wanted to see for sure if you could handle the material. The only thing you are exempt from is the MCAT prep, which makes since because you have to agree not to take the MCAT again and not apply any where else.

Was there an email that told you if you got waitlisted?

Yeah, I was accepted as OOS. Got the phone call on 25th, and received the official email on the match day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

My portal still says "under review", not "waitlisted".. What does this mean??

It seems I cannot quote properly on my phone. JaBoomDay, below is my response for you earlier.

Dang! I was hoping you'd get more TCOM love.

Any out-of-staters get an acceptance offer today? I interviewed back in August, I've been on the wait list since October but my portal just changed today from "Your application is under review," to "You are on the wait list."

Sigh. :(

Yeah, I was accepted as OOS. Got the phone call on 25th, and received the official email on the match day.

Congrats on the acceptance! Were you pulled from the waitlist?

I got word shortly after midnight on match day. Needless to say, very happy...

I wonder if anyone's been pulled off the wait list yet since match day

It's really early for the waitlist to start moving. The list starts really going when people holding acceptances outside of Texas are forced to choose or get accepted elsehwere. As of now, most people who matched to something less than their #1 are waiting to see if they will get a higher ranked waitlist acceptance. I don't remember the dates, but there are key days where the waitlist speeds up more and more as it comes closer to the last day.

If you're on the waitlist, just try and hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I know of. Do you apply for that or do they just offer? I haven't received anything in the mail...

Ah nevermind then, I meant being in the med sci program currently. Sorry I don't know!

I think I will call today

EDIT: She said that I am not on the waitlist, and they are sending out letters to those who did not match today..

Last edited:
So it appears that every applicant will get a hardcopy decision via U.S. mail this week??

Dang! I was hoping you'd get more TCOM love.

Any out-of-staters get an acceptance offer today? I interviewed back in August, I've been on the wait list since October but my portal just changed today from "Your application is under review," to "You are on the wait list."

Sigh.

pulling for you jaboom day, i couldnt imagine fighting over 20 or so spots.

My status just changed from you are on the waitlist to "Congratulations on your acceptance! Official notification will be sent you via U.S. Mail."

Is this a glitch?

My status just changed from you are on the waitlist to "Congratulations on your acceptance! Official notification will be sent you via U.S. Mail."

Is this a glitch?

Call them to make sure, but glitches like that don't really happen.

Most likely you're not going to find someone else that this just happened to, because the waitlist moves one person at a time. I don't think multiple people will drop their acceptances so quickly.

Just keep calling man! I think you're in.

Most likely you're not going to find someone else that this just happened to, because the waitlist moves one person at a time. I don't think multiple people will drop their acceptances so quickly.

Just keep calling man! I think you're in.
Just talked to Patrick and its not a glitch!

Is the waitlist ranked in some way or is it a crapshoot?

I believe the waitlist is already ranked. However i do not know the influence of letters of intent or updates to your resume that might change your position.

I thought it was a glitch too, so I called and it's not!! I'm so excited!!

Congrats Marine and Scriblette! That's awesome, so happy for yall

Is the waitlist ranked in some way or is it a crapshoot?

from what i understand it is ranked, but they arent bound to the rank. So if you know somebody/get on somebody's good side they can pull you from the pile.

I just called and was told that I was accepted into the bridge program!

Just posting to let y'all know that I notified the office that I am declining the offer. Good luck to those on the wait list!!!!

Just posting to let y'all know that I notified the office that I am declining the offer. Good luck to those on the wait list!!!!

Received a rejection letter. Didn't interview. Not that it maters as i.did pre match at other schools in tx. Just wanted to update.
Congrats to the accepted students and enjoy your success.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

has anyone who has interviewed received a rejection letter? Or by default, anyone who has interviewed is now on the waitlist? Any current students want to take a stab at how many acceptances are usually given to people on the waitlist ? Looking at their last years numbers, out of 820 some interviewees, 520 acceptances were given out. So is it a fair estimate that they've probably given out some 450 acceptances so far?

most everyone i know at tcom got their acceptances in nov-feb. so my guess is that the waitlist is short, but it moves because i have met two people from different years who got in very late.

I just called and was told that I was accepted into the bridge program!
How did you apply for that? Was it something that you had to indicate on your tmdsas app?

How did you apply for that? Was it something that you had to indicate on your tmdsas app?

No I didn't apply for it. From what I understand, about 10 applicants are chosen each year.

Awesome. When did you put in your med sci app? And what were your stats if you don't mind sharing.

I am on the TCOM wait list and am debating whether or not to turn in a med sci app.

I didn't have to fill out the med sci app since I was pulled out of the TCOM applicants for this cycle. It's not for those who are already in med sci, but who knows, you might get pulled from the waitlist before then! My stats were not great, which is why they think I need extra preparation: 3.5 GPA / 25 MCAT.

I didn't have to fill out the med sci app since I was pulled out of the TCOM applicants for this cycle. It's not for those who are already in med sci, but who knows, you might get pulled from the waitlist before then! My stats were not great, which is why they think I need extra preparation: 3.5 GPA / 25 MCAT.
Ok well I will call Patrick tomorrow to inquire about that! I hope I can get pulled but if not this sounds like a great alternative! I sent in some OOS apps last week but its way late so those are a long shot and if rather not take a year off! Congrats on that :))

This bridge program sounds like a "VIP" section of the Med Sci program. You can only get in by invitation and you're guaranteed a TCOM seat when you graduate with the required GPA. Is this correct?

I'm also in limbo land - very disappointing to say the least - and I'm trying to weigh my options. I'm definitely trying to stay in Texas, if at all possible......

Anyone having problems signing up for the new class page on Facebook? Just wondering.