University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I'm on the wait list and while excited to have gotten this far, the uncertainty is making things very difficult for me.

Assuming I dont get into school this year I need a job to support my family, but I also dont want to go interview and give them expectations that i'll be there for a year, then get pulled off the list.

so any way at all to get an idea where you stand while on the waitlist?

thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm on the wait list and while excited to have gotten this far, the uncertainty is making things very difficult for me.

Assuming I dont get into school this year I need a job to support my family, but I also dont want to go interview and give them expectations that i'll be there for a year, then get pulled off the list.

so any way at all to get an idea where you stand while on the waitlist?

thanks for the help

Best bet is to be honest with your employer and tell them you might get off the waitlist, or set your start date as August/late July

That's all I've been able to do, is just be honest and tell the employers that I'm applying with that there's a (small) chance I'll have to up and leave for school at the end of July. Some are more understanding than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't tell them. You won't be able to get any job. just give them 2 wks notice if the time comes to quit. I hate to say it but you gotta play their game. I remember one summer I told employers I was going back to school on x date and I couldn't even get a waitress job. I don't think your jobs before med school matter much anyways in getting a physician job.

I wouldn't tell them. You won't be able to get any job. just give them 2 wks notice if the time comes to quit. I hate to say it but you gotta play their game. I remember one summer I told employers I was going back to school on x date and I couldn't even get a waitress job. I don't think your jobs before med school matter much anyways in getting a physician job.

I agree with this. It would be very difficult to get a job right now, especially if you are planning on informing your employer that you might be leaving for medical school in 3-4 months. No employer wants to invest time/money hiring/training an employ that can only work for 3-4 months tops.

I also agree with this, it will be next to impossible to get ANY job if you even just hint that you might leave, just apply and do not say anything about med school, if they call from the waitlist then just give them 2 weeks notice, I have held the same full time job for 3 years now and as soon as I told them I "might" leave for medical school they already got somebody to replace me, I had asked for a raise before telling them and then they said they cannot give a raise to someone who "might" leave.

I can only imagine that if I had told them that I was accepted since November I would have been fired right on the spot...

So in my opinion, dont tell them anything (unfortunately that's the way it is nowadays):confused:

Yep. In this hire-and-fire economy, employers don't tell you about their plans. They certainly don't give you a 2-week notice when they fire you or lay you off. Why should you feel obligated to tell them about your plans?

Just tell them you intend to do a good job for them as long as you are an employee. That's all. It's a free country. They can hire you as they see fit, and you can leave them as you see fit.

Does anyone know the OOS acceptance average MCAT/GPA for here?

Does anyone know the OOS acceptance average MCAT/GPA for here?
That is a hard question, to know the exact numbers you would have to be in the admissions commitee (or know someone in it) because they only release the "whole applicant pool statistics" so the reasonable thing to assume it that since of the 230 spots they only take 10% OOS they would choose the top 10% applicants, meaning that their application would likely stand out not only in numbers but also in EC and LOR...

That is a hard question, to know the exact numbers you would have to be in the admissions commitee (or know someone in it) because they only release the "whole applicant pool statistics" so the reasonable thing to assume it that since of the 230 spots they only take 10% OOS they would choose the top 10% applicants, meaning that their application would likely stand out not only in numbers but also in EC and LOR...

Yeah I had figured as much, any anecdotal OOS acceptance stats anyone care to share? Theres not much on mdapps.

Just trying to get an idea to see if I should try and apply. I'm hoping to cast a fairly wide DO application net and hopefully, see which ones look the best to me during interviews

Yeah I had figured as much, any anecdotal OOS acceptance stats anyone care to share? Theres not much on mdapps.

Just trying to get an idea to see if I should try and apply. I'm hoping to cast a fairly wide DO application net and hopefully, see which ones look the best to me during interviews

If you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?

If you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?

3.8 science and total GPA. 9/9/10 28mcat
Entire family born and raised in Texas but my parents moved to another state and had me so they don't live there now, if that matters, would I mention that?

Solid letters, 2 years of clinic work 6hrs a week. Bunch of other Ec's that make me competitive, all of them involve helping unreserved or low income communities.

Sorry for spelling errors typed on my phone..

I would say go for it, family ties are good but dont know how much it would really play

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 science and total GPA. 9/9/10 28mcat
Entire family born and raised in Texas but my parents moved to another state and had me so they don't live there now, if that matters, would I mention that?

Solid letters, 2 years of clinic work 6hrs a week. Bunch of other Ec's that make me competitive, all of them involve helping unreserved or low income communities.

Sorry for spelling errors typed on my phone..
I would also say go for it, if you have great EC's let them know in you personal statement and also mention strong ties to Texas, they like applicants who really want to go to TCOM and not just applying as a last choice, I'll say you have good stats and a good chance to get interviewed... I would get in touch with someone in the admissions department and let them know you are interested and ask for tips, they are really helpful
If you want to ask something more specific PM me or anybody here, everyone is willing to help out, good luck!

So... are there TCOM graduates who dont MATCH? if so, how many? I read somewhere that TCOM is known for having one of the highest match rates in the country (like between 99.5% and 100% every year) so does that mean one or two graduates do not match some years? I cannot find anything online about it (now that I look intently for it) I hope that if someone doesnt match they match the following cycle...

every tcom graduating student who entered the match (acgme/aoa) got a spot and it's been that way for a long time the way i understand it

Hey guys, maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't find anywhere on the website that has the dates for orientation and the first day of class. Anyone know, or know where to find it? Thanks!

every tcom graduating student who entered the match (acgme/aoa) got a spot and it's been that way for a long time the way i understand it

That is really good to know, I figured it was 100% but I wasnt sure

Thanks

So from what I see it looks like the Texas applications both open and allows you to submit on May 1st. This is different from AACOMAS which opens early May but you can't submit until June 1st right?

If this is the case should I rush to fill out my app as soon as possible on May 1st and then request transcripts from my schools then too?

What was your guy's strategies for prewriting everything, would you recommend having the essay, optional essay, and secondaries all ready to go by May 1st?

Thanks!

Edit: I just read that I must wait for my Spring 2013 grades be entered and reflected on transcript before I submit. I guess this means I will have to wait until May 20th ish. I hope that isnt too late..

If you are only applying to Tcom from tmdsas, I don't think it will hurt to apply later. I turned in my app in August and got an invite 1 wk later. Tcom stays on top of their applications. If you are applying to all the tmdsas school I recommend getting apps and secondaries in no later than mid June. It really hurt that I applied later for a few of the other schools I think.

Can someone tell me how I'm looking? I'm q Louisiana resident. Don't really have many connections except my brother is a surgeon in Dallas. I'd love to go to this school

I have yet to take the mcat but am about to. I will apply in the upcoming cycle.

3.7 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa, several shadowing( including DO) hopefully get DO letter, A in organic chem if that means anything lol. I have a committee letter and a letter from my kinesiology professor, as well as a letter from an MD. . Can someone PM me?! Am I competitive?

Can someone tell me how I'm looking? I'm q Louisiana resident. Don't really have many connections except my brother is a surgeon in Dallas. I'd love to go to this school

I have yet to take the mcat but am about to. I will apply in the upcoming cycle.

3.7 sgpa, 3.6 cgpa, several shadowing( including DO) hopefully get DO letter, A in organic chem if that means anything lol. I have a committee letter and a letter from my kinesiology professor, as well as a letter from an MD. . Can someone PM me?! Am I competitive?
You look really good, from your avatar I recognize you from SCRUBS and from a few movies...

Of course I am just kidding you, no one will be able to give you the answer you want without MCAT scores, it all comes down to that, for example, if you take the MCAT right now before the application opens and you get a 35 or up then you are REALLY competitive, if you get a 24 or lower you will not be competitive as OOS, if you take it really late and your scores dont come in time you will really hurt your chances.
This is just my opinion of course but you should take it and get it out of the way, THEN it will be easier to see how competitive you will be

P.S. you dont need any "connections" to get into med school... I think that if you are a good candidate you will look good to the admissions commitee with or w/o connections... it seems you have good EC's and good LOR's just get the MCAT score

So... are there TCOM graduates who dont MATCH? if so, how many? I read somewhere that TCOM is known for having one of the highest match rates in the country (like between 99.5% and 100% every year) so does that mean one or two graduates do not match some years? I cannot find anything online about it (now that I look intently for it) I hope that if someone doesnt match they match the following cycle...

Let's be real. This year we had a lot not match (the most ever) but mostly all of them scrambled (rumor has it some one even scrambled into rads at Dartmouth) but you have to understand why. We send the fewest numbers into the AOA and most tcom students apply for an agcme spot, even some who probably shouldn't, and many students "overshoot". I have all info from previous years if you are truly interested shoot me a pm. Theres a lot that goes into this match process and who has the "best matches" that you won't understand until you're in. Just know that if you're applying to TCOM or are coming in don't be worried about it, we match extremely well and every opportunity will be given to you to match whatever you desire, that is of course if you're willing to put in the work.

Sent from iPad please excuse typing

We can't tell you until we know your MCAT score. Not sure what your goal is but a 28-30 depending on ECs should be decent chance for TCOM

I'm an OOS applicant with similar GPA and a 33. Attended their first interview day of the season, got waitlisted in October.

Many OOS get waitlisted, wait for May and you might hear some good news

Let's be real. This year we had a lot not match (the most ever) but mostly all of them scrambled (rumor has it some one even scrambled into rads at Dartmouth) but you have to understand why. We send the fewest numbers into the AOA and most tcom students apply for an agcme spot, even some who probably shouldn't, and many students "overshoot". I have all info from previous years if you are truly interested shoot me a pm. Theres a lot that goes into this match process and who has the "best matches" that you won't understand until you're in. Just know that if you're applying to TCOM or are coming in don't be worried about it, we match extremely well and every opportunity will be given to you to match whatever you desire, that is of course if you're willing to put in the work.

Sent from iPad please excuse typing

Very well-said. :thumbup:

For those of you who have been waitlisted at TCOM, have you filled the financial aid info?

I looked on the website and it states:

2013-2014 FAFSA is now available.
Award notifications will be sent during the week of May 6, 2013 through May 10, 2013 to UNTHSC students who have applied for federal aid.

The 2013-2014 FAFSA will be utilized for aid for the Summer 2013/Fall 2013/Spring 2014 terms. Further instructions and eligibility requirements are listed here.

*We are reviewing 2013-2014 FAFSA applications. Please check your email regularly as students will be notified by email if further information is needed.

so, even if we are waitlisted, should we go ahead an fill out a FAFSA for this school? (even if admitted to another school, which costs more and thus would affect the amount I need to borrow)

Thanks!

good question about fafsa, i'll probably fill it out and just adjust if plans change.... I haven't been pulled from waitlist yet :-( someone said earlier that may is usually when things start moving. not that i dont trust that, but why may? is there some date/schedule they follow? if so i feel kinda foolish checking myHSC daily through feb, march and april..... (though i'd probably do it anyway)

Keep your hopes up :). I would imagine there would be quite a bit of waitlist movement, there usually is at every school as people defer their seat to go to a different school. I know how you feel about checking your status...I remember checking my email every day from november-december...I got so tired of opening it up and seeing nothing so I decided to not check it for 3 days...After 3 days I opened it up and found the acceptance email. Best of luck to you guys! Hope to see you in a few months!

good question about fafsa, i'll probably fill it out and just adjust if plans change.... I haven't been pulled from waitlist yet :-( someone said earlier that may is usually when things start moving. not that i dont trust that, but why may? is there some date/schedule they follow? if so i feel kinda foolish checking myHSC daily through feb, march and april..... (though i'd probably do it anyway)

May 15th is the date that people holding multiple acceptances have to drop all of them but one, thus freeing up more spots for those of us with just waitlists.

Yea my status still says "under-review". My previous years app says "reviewed". Haven't received a rejection letter yet, so still good news.

Many OOS get waitlisted, wait for May and you might hear some good news

I wonder how many OOS have been accepted for this season and when. Any non-Texans get in before say Feb? TCOM is in my top 3 and it'd be tough waiting til mid May to hear some good news.

If I'm not rejected right away that is...

I wonder how many OOS have been accepted for this season and when. Any non-Texans get in before say Feb? TCOM is in my top 3 and it'd be tough waiting til mid May to hear some good news.

If I'm not rejected right away that is...

I got in before Feb. I am OOS but I went to undergrad at UT.

I got in before Feb. I am OOS but I went to undergrad at UT.

How long have you been in Texas?
If you were an undergrad in Texas for the last 2 semesters that makes you in state (12 months of residence constitute in state regardless of where you are from) sometimes 1 semester is enough if you can prove you have lived in the state for 12 months prior to application (lease, mortgage, bussiness,etc)

Besides, if you are in the army sometimes they are lenient with your residency requirements in the event of deployments and transcripts from multiple universities during your service enrollment.

I am not sure about this, this is just my opinion of course... but I have friends who just came to Texas for their last 2 semesters of pre-med in order to qualify for in-state tuition (havent heard from any of them yet though)

I'm pretty sure you have to live and work in TX for 12 months without being a student. I've been here for 4 years getting my undergraduate degree, but I'm not considered a Texas resident by TMDSAS.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/frwqAskedQ/13-TexasResidency.html

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=19&pt=1&ch=21&sch=B&rl=Y

They're pretty good at spotting the people who are trying to leech the system to gain residency status.

Last edited:
Like I said, I am not sure, just in case I would hold a job at least part time, and report my taxes here, I have had a full time job throughout pre-med so I know it's doable... no offense to anyone but an application looks better the more things you do (school, job, volunteer, memberships, etc), again, just my $0.02

How long have you been in Texas?
If you were an undergrad in Texas for the last 2 semesters that makes you in state (12 months of residence constitute in state regardless of where you are from) sometimes 1 semester is enough if you can prove you have lived in the state for 12 months prior to application (lease, mortgage, bussiness,etc)

Besides, if you are in the army sometimes they are lenient with your residency requirements in the event of deployments and transcripts from multiple universities during your service enrollment.

I am not sure about this, this is just my opinion of course... but I have friends who just came to Texas for their last 2 semesters of pre-med in order to qualify for in-state tuition (havent heard from any of them yet though)

Lol. I only stayed in Texas for undergrad and applied as OOS. Actually I am not even a US citizen or permanent resident, so nobody would consider me in-state by any standard.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Lol. I only stayed in Texas for undergrad and applied as OOS. Actually I am not even a US citizen or permanent resident, so nobody would consider me in-state by any standard.

i think you have to wait for your green card before you can apply to a state med school. state med/dental schools don't accept foreign citizens on temporary/student visa, unlike undergrad or grad schools. it's like that in every state.

i think you have to wait for your green card before you can apply to a state med school. state med/dental schools don't accept foreign citizens on temporary/student visa, unlike undergrad or grad schools. it's like that in every state.

Almost no school does consider foreign applicants because you won't qualify for Fed loans. If you are considered and accepted (and its a long shot because they want to train physicians who can legally work here), they would ask to either pay upfront or show that you have the means to pay. (essentially that you are loaded). For any foreign applicant, the first step is to get a green card. I know, that's my case, and I'm going to md school next fall :D (utsw)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

Well, not exactly. Over half of the US medical schools don't accept international applicants, but there are a decent number of schools that do. Green card is not a must for those schools, but it would be a lot easier if you have a green card. And yes, depending on the school, you either have to pay all the expenses upfront, or provide some sort of financial proof that you can afford it.

Almost no school does consider foreign applicants because you won't qualify for Fed loans. If you are considered and accepted (and its a long shot because they want to train physicians who can legally work here), they would ask to either pay upfront or show that you have the means to pay. (essentially that you are loaded). For any foreign applicant, the first step is to get a green card. I know, that's my case, and I'm going to md school next fall :D (utsw)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

I agree that obtaining a green card is the best option. Unfortunately it is not a possible option for me, haha.