University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I knew somebody last year that got accepted into the bridge program. 2 days before the start of school they informed the student that there were some TCOM incoming class dropouts and the student got bumped up to 1st year status. Pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, thanks. I'll bug them if I don't hear anything soon. I don't want to miss out on anything good. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew somebody last year that got accepted into the bridge program. 2 days before the start of school they informed the student that there were some TCOM incoming class dropouts and the student got bumped up to 1st year status. Pretty cool.

That's awesome! *crossing fingers*

@advancednurs what are your stats? dont be discouraged you can always improve and try again, is worth to wait for it if you have to

Hello All,

In reference to the above posts concerning the bridge program, TCOM has given me permission to post this email which I received today from the Admissions Office:

(1) TCOM does have a program called Bridge. It is by invitation only from the TCOM Admissions Committee. Only the admissions committee can make this offer to an applicant. It is not a program that an applicant can apply to by making a selection on the application. There is not a limit on the number of people accepted to the Bridge program each year. The program is for an applicant that the TCOM Admission Committee feels is an excellent fit for TCOM, but with whom they have academic concerns. Students accepted into the Bridge Program must also be accepted into the Graduate School of Biomedical Science (GSBS). The acceptance to the GSBS is a separate process and happens in a different admissions office from TCOM. After this process, they will receive a letter stating the offer for the bridge program. The program has specific requirements the student must meet. If they do, then they will begin medical school the following year.

(2) If a student that has been offered a spot in the Bridge program they must complete the medical sciences program successfully and also meet the specific requirements. They cannot be “bumped” up to 1st year status. I believe some mistaken information was posted on the Student Doctor Network. Each year we have applicants on our waitlist that apply to, are accepted, and begin the medical science program in June. After starting the program sometimes some of these waitlisted applicants receive an offer of admission from TCOM. The student then can withdraw from the medical sciences program and enter TCOM or they can defer their TCOM seat until the following year and finish the medical science program in order to be better prepared for medical school. At no time will a student that has been offered admission through the Bridge Program be given priority over a student that is on the TCOM waitlist.

You may relay the information, but I do ask that you also convey to the other posters on the forum to contact the TCOM Admissions Office if they have specific questions concerning the admissions process. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Best -

Reactions: 1 user
@advancednurs what are your stats? dont be discouraged you can always improve and try again, is worth to wait for it if you have to

My MCAT is right on the money but GPA is a hair below. I think my real problem is ECs when I compare them to other people. It seems I need to add service hours. I have a good job which keeps me very busy so I need to work on that part. I think I will ask for a review to confirm. Thanks for the encouragement.

@tadkins: That was an excellent explanation. Thanks for sharing the email!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hello All,

In reference to the above posts concerning the bridge program, TCOM has given me permission to post this email which I received today from the Admissions Office:

Best -

Great post and great information. Many thanks.

So, there are 4 ways of getting an acceptance if you pass the interview:

- Prematch (November-January)

- Match (February 1st)

- Waitlist (As soon as seat is available)

- Bridge offer (Complete additional requirements through GSBS per TCOM's Adcom letter)

Hello All,

(1) TCOM does have a program called Bridge. It is by invitation only from the TCOM Admissions Committee. Only the admissions committee can make this offer to an applicant. It is not a program that an applicant can apply to by making a selection on the application. There is not a limit on the number of people accepted to the Bridge program each year. The program is for an applicant that the TCOM Admission Committee feels is an excellent fit for TCOM, but with whom they have academic concerns. Students accepted into the Bridge Program must also be accepted into the Graduate School of Biomedical Science (GSBS). The acceptance to the GSBS is a separate process and happens in a different admissions office from TCOM. After this process, they will receive a letter stating the offer for the bridge program. The program has specific requirements the student must meet. If they do, then they will begin medical school the following year.

(2) If a student that has been offered a spot in the Bridge program they must complete the medical sciences program successfully and also meet the specific requirements. They cannot be “bumped” up to 1st year status. I believe some mistaken information was posted on the Student Doctor Network. Each year we have applicants on our waitlist that apply to, are accepted, and begin the medical science program in June. After starting the program sometimes some of these waitlisted applicants receive an offer of admission from TCOM. The student then can withdraw from the medical sciences program and enter TCOM or they can defer their TCOM seat until the following year and finish the medical science program in order to be better prepared for medical school. At no time will a student that has been offered admission through the Bridge Program be given priority over a student that is on the TCOM waitlist.

You may relay the information, but I do ask that you also convey to the other posters on the forum to contact the TCOM Admissions Office if they have specific questions concerning the admissions process. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best -

we now have the definitive word from the source.
thanks for posting.

How do I become a TCOM embassador? I will really like to be one. I have seen the page with all the student organizations and all that but I did not see an application, or will they invite us during orientation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
no, anyone can apply during 2nd year in the fall. it's an easy fun job with decent pay, so there is a bit of competition. all it takes is an application and an interview, plus good grades.

I received my acceptance letter to the bridge program today

Congratulations!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Congrats! Sounds like a great program. Most important of all, your seat is guaranteed. (Be prepared to study your butt off though :)).

My friend got a nice thin letter from San Antonio last week, which leads me to believe that the timing is not unique to TCOM. To me anything is better than silence. Only a few more days to go!! :xf: :luck:

P.S.: Another friend and I visited some hospitals on the TCOM list last weekend. We were extremely impressed with Cook Children's. We had no idea it was such a huge hospital and rated among the best in the country. Harris Methodist was also very impressive and very nice throughout. Huge ER, similar to Parkland. JPS didn't seem to have as many beds, but it's a Level 1 trauma center. It's awesome that TCOM rotates through these hospitals. :thumbup:

I looked into the rotation situation at TCOM when I applied and interviewed, and related my experience in a different forum. This is what I posted: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13690150&postcount=99. I won't be attending TCOM, but I think you all have a great school. Cheers.

Has anyone who has applied to the Summer 2013 Med Sci program heard back yet?

Has anyone who has applied to the Summer 2013 Med Sci program heard back yet?

No one around here (who applied through the traditional, i.e. non-bridge process) has heard anything as far as I know. At least they haven't posted anything about it if they did (here or in the post bacc forum.)

I submitted my app for medsci back on November 30th. It has been complete since that time, so I am hopeful that I am in the first group to be reviewed. My application status shows complete with nothing on the to-do list, and a green circle, (no green check...dang it!)

I too would be interested in knowing if any of the bridge program folks have actually seen a change in their GSBS status reflected on the myHSC portal (green check, not green circle.)

When you are offered a bridge program spot, does TCOM initiate the GSBS application for you and essentially take care of everything, or does that responsibility fall back on you to take care of? Does a bridge program offer mean you will be automatically accepted to the GSBS MedSci program, so long as you complete the app process, or is it possible to be offered a bridge program spot, only to get denied admission to the GSBS?

Sorry for the questions, I am just curious about it, and excited for you folks who were extended a bridge program offer. I am applying to medsci via the traditional process, so all this waiting has just given me time to think of questions to bother y'all with!

Did your status on the website for the GSBS and/or TCOM change? What does it say now?

I now have the GSBS status up there as well as TCOM. My GSBS status says "Your application has been received". My TCOM status did say "Congratulations on your acceptance" but now says "Your acceptance has been deferred for a future term".

No one around here (who applied through the traditional, i.e. non-bridge process) has heard anything as far as I know. At least they haven't posted anything about it if they did (here or in the post bacc forum.)

I submitted my app for medsci back on November 30th. It has been complete since that time, so I am hopeful that I am in the first group to be reviewed. My application status shows complete with nothing on the to-do list, and a green circle, (no green check...dang it!)

I too would be interested in knowing if any of the bridge program folks have actually seen a change in their GSBS status reflected on the myHSC portal (green check, not green circle.)

When you are offered a bridge program spot, does TCOM initiate the GSBS application for you and essentially take care of everything, or does that responsibility fall back on you to take care of? Does a bridge program offer mean you will be automatically accepted to the GSBS MedSci program, so long as you complete the app process, or is it possible to be offered a bridge program spot, only to get denied admission to the GSBS?

Sorry for the questions, I am just curious about it, and excited for you folks who were extended a bridge program offer. I am applying to medsci via the traditional process, so all this waiting has just given me time to think of questions to bother y'all with!

As far as I understand, I am accepted to the med sci program as long as I submit all of the required documents and my application by March 15. I had to fill out an application, send the fee, have my transcripts sent, have my committee letter sent, and send in my MCAT score report.

As far as I understand, I am accepted to the med sci program as long as I submit all of the required documents and my application by March 15. I had to fill out an application, send the fee, have my transcripts sent, have my committee letter sent, and send in my MCAT score report.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be in he same class as you...

Thanks for the update. and Congrats. Hopefully we'll join you this summer!

No problem! Hope to see you guys in May!

Congratulations! What do you know about the program? Is it hard to earn the "required GPA" or not? What are the classes like...you get the idea. I do not know much about it and cannot find anything specific regarding this program. Any information is helpful. Thank you.

Congratulations! What do you know about the program? Is it hard to earn the "required GPA" or not? What are the classes like...you get the idea. I do not know much about it and cannot find anything specific regarding this program. Any information is helpful. Thank you.

The bridge program is basically the medical science program without the MCAT course, at the end you still graduate with your M.S. in Medical Science with everyone else. The only difference between bridge and regular med sci students is that bridges are on a "deferred acceptance". From what I've heard, it is rigorous but a 3.3 (the required GPA) is definitely doable. My friend at TCOM told me that med sci is basically first year of med school. She said that med sci graduates do very well during first year at TCOM, so that is a huge advantage to already be familiar with the curriculum before jumping right in with everyone else. She said everyone is very competitive because most people are still trying to earn their spot in med school.

I still don't know everything about it, so if any current med scis want to chime in or correct me, please do so!

Well I have a few friends in the program right now and I also attended the open house last month.. from what I understand it is a program that targets those students that might not be able to get into the med school the first time they apply.. whether its low mcat or low gpa thats holding them back. As far as "is it hard to get the required gpa or not" you have to be serious and treat it like your first year of med school because essentially thats what it is. The summer term is light to allow more time for those students that want to retake or take the mcat for the first time. If you maintain a high GPA during your summer and fall semesters you will have a pretty good chance of being offered a spot next year at TCOM or match at other med schools. Hope this helps.

Here is a thought for Plan B this PA told me today. If anybody wants to go to PA school for cheap, try to get in at UNTHSC and apply for a scholarship. They got a $2M federal grant specifically for the PA program and if you don't own a lot of assets, you'll get at least 50% taken off all tuition and fees.

That type of scholarship hinges on annual income, not assets. Consider yourself qualified if you make $22K or less. It is one helluva deal.

I know its been already two weeks after it, but it was a fun event, I was in "Elko" group and met a few of my future classmates and faculty and everyone was really nice and open to talk, its going to be nice when it starts...

I know its been already two weeks after it, but it was a fun event, I was in "Elko" group and met a few of my future classmates and faculty and everyone was really nice and open to talk, its going to be nice when it starts...

I couldn't make it to the myHsc day, did I miss anything important? Also, I was put into the Luibel group, does this mean we can't be friends?

I couldn't make it to the myHsc day, did I miss anything important? Also, I was put into the Luibel group, does this mean we can't be friends?

I dont think you missed anything important, it was more for parents and/or family members of the accepted student, it was just inteesting to see the whole MET room full of people (mostly family members) but I dont think it was vital, the only think that was real important was the relocation fair if you are relocating to the area (I didn go, my house is about 8 minutes away from campus) besides, there is another event (similar) coming to include all the accepted students from the wait list. so you can go to that one.
I hope we can be friends even if we were assigned different groups, we are going to see each other's faces a lot and for a long time hahaha

between that and the OMM, we will get to know everyone in the class real well :cool:

agree with drjct that probably parents got the most out of it. that and non-trads like myself. I needed a few questions answered that really only others in my situation could answer and they did a good job of having those types available. I got a lot out of the financial aid piece as well. I would assume you could pretty much get all the info you need through the facebook page though, so I wouldnt worry to much about missing the event. The relo fair was pretty useless to me because everybody that was there was WAY out of the price range of students that plan on not having help from outside sources.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I received my acceptance email today for the MedSci 2013 program! So check your mails!! Hope to see everyone in May.

Hey, if any of y'all are looking for an apartment in Ft. Worth, this lady helped me out when I was moving up there. If you're unfamiliar with the area she should be able to at least give you a listing of apartments that you can use to start your search. And she's free for you.

Melody Guthrie
Apartment Connections
(817) 723-4451

anyone else working on their abs?:D Can't be looking bad for OMT labs lol!

kidding...kind of =D

I have tried but I think my abs are shy, just as any other of my muscles they refuse to show up hahaha

Is it really shirts off??

I have tried but I think my abs are shy, just as any other of my muscles they refuse to show up hahaha

Yes, both males and females will have to take their shirt off during OMM labs (females of course wear sports bras); but it is not every lab. You pretty much wear athletic shorts and a t-shirt to lab and the skills for that day will determine whether you take your shirt off or not. All of your classmates come in different shapes and sizes (just as your future patients) and after the first lab it really isn't a big deal.

haha yeah that's what they said at my interview!! mine are hiding too :p

Just got a survey about why I declined my Tcom acceptance. I guess that means I would have been accepted.

If anyone has considered military medicine and wants more info, let me know. I am in the Navy's HSCP program and it pays pretty well, full health benefits for you and your family, etc. Send me a private message if you want more info.