University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone!

I am an out of state student from Iowa and have already submitted my AACOMAS application. But am debating on whether or not I should apply to TCOM. I know that only 10% of out of staters get accepted, but can anyone give any insight on this? Is it worth filling out TMDSAS? I have family from texas so I have visited the school before. Let me know what you guys think!

If anyone who's out of state sees this could you comment ?

Thanks!

Stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it me, or does this school set the tone for the application cycle? I truly believe that once this school sends you an interview, the others will come lol.

primaries were available a month before the rest of medical schools, it makes sense why they would always have earlier II's

Members don't see this ad :)
How did the interviews go for those who were lucky enough to get one yesterday?

Is it me, or does this school set the tone for the application cycle? I truly believe that once this school sends you an interview, the others will come lol.

Not really. I havent heard back from this school, but I have from one MD.

How did the interviews go for those who were lucky enough to get one yesterday?
I had an 8/30 interview. They were really laid back and not stressful at all. Both of my interviewers began the interviews by asking me to explain the differences between MDs and DOs and elaborate on DO culture. If you're looking for advice then you ought to read this (http://www.amazon.com/The-DOs-Osteopathic-Medicine-America/dp/0801878349) book if you have time. It's the most popular book on osteopathic history and if your interviewer is a DO then he/she has probably read it.

I had an 8/30 interview. They were really laid back and not stressful at all. Both of my interviewers began the interviews by asking me to explain the differences between MDs and DOs and elaborate on DO culture. If you're looking for advice then you ought to read this (http://www.amazon.com/The-DOs-Osteopathic-Medicine-America/dp/0801878349) book if you have time. It's the most popular book on osteopathic history and if your interviewer is a DO then he/she has probably read it.

Im reading that book right now! Did you mention that you read it? I imagine that they knew you did some research on the subject because of your response.

That type of question is almost always a formality. I wouldn't stress over it. Just give a short generic answer based on what you know. If you decide to elaborate, don't compare osteopathic medicine to alternative medicine e.g. naturopathy/acupuncture/chiropractic/homeopathy, because DO schools don't teach such things, and adcoms will reject applicants who make that comparison because it shows ignorance.

BTW There is no such thing as a DO culture anymore. There is, however, a TCOM school culture. It's kinda like once you're an Aggie, you're always an Aggie school pride type thing. I believe this is what many interviewers try to gauge.

Keep in mind there is a large number of MDs on faculty at TCOM, and the vast majority of TCOM students go into MD residencies. Also, once you're in residency, nobody cares if you're an MD or DO. People are either too sick or too busy to give a damn. (Or ignorant - I've long ago lost count of people who call their PA "Doctor").

I was recently made aware of this ESPN clip on a TCOM grad in action at the Nascar accident earlier this year, so I thought I'd share. My family is military and there is much resonance.

Thunderbird 9 NASCAR Feature for ESPN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBODbUQggug

Awesome! Thanks. I had seen the blurb and forgot about it. Great guy, and kudos to him.

Nice! Figured I had not checked the portal in a while and it says I got an invite!

Im reading that book right now! Did you mention that you read it? I imagine that they knew you did some research on the subject because of your response.
I mentioned it to my first interviewer with a DO. He complimented the book and we got into a conversation about how many DOs go into MD residencies and assimilate with MD culture and whether that was a good or bad thing.

Congrats on the invites guys!

Can you say when your secondaries, scores etc were submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is interviewing tomorrow? Anyone with me?

Congrats on the invites guys!

Can you say when your secondaries, scores etc were submitted?

Secondary sent 7/4/13
scores 5/30/13

Congrats on the interviews! I'm going to be constantly checking my portal 24/7 now. Good luck you guys!

is this the portal in the screenshot?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 7.55.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-01 at 7.55.11 PM.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 155
How many people do they interview each interview day?

Last edited:

Bought the ebook and laughed at this part "In 1860 Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., MD, declared in frustration, “If the whole materia medica as now used could be sunk to the bottom of the sea, it would be all the better for mankind—and all the worse for the fishes.”

Gevitz, Professor Norman (2004-03-08). The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America (p. 7). Johns Hopkins University Press - A. Kindle Edition.

From what I have seen, about 20 or 30...they sit you in the lobby outside the admissions office after you check in at their desk, and the schedule is you have one morning interview, then you go on their tour of the campus and give you lunch in the MET building (TCOM's building) and then you go back to the lobby for them to check the information on record in regards to you, then you go to your last interview

how did/will everyone handle the campus tour in 100 degree heat with a full suit on?
Is it acceptable or expected to take off the jacket or just power through it?

From what I have seen, about 20 or 30...they sit you in the lobby outside the admissions office after you check in at their desk, and the schedule is you have one morning interview, then you go on their tour of the campus and give you lunch in the MET building (TCOM's building) and then you go back to the lobby for them to check the information on record in regards to you, then you go to your last interview

TWO interviews?:eek:

how did/will everyone handle the campus tour in 100 degree heat with a full suit on?
Is it acceptable or expected to take off the jacket or just power through it?

It's not going to be that bad. There probably won't be too much time outdoors. If you get hot nobody will think twice about you popping off the jacket, but do wear an undershirt of some kind if you plan on sweating a lot. Don't want nasty pit stains right? The biggest thing here is just relax and be comfortable in your clothes.

In other news, I'll be interviewing here 8/23. Got the II phone call on 7/29 - it is from an unknown number so definitely answer if you get a call like that.

My portal changed to "You have been invited for an interview" today at noon!!
I havent gotten a call to schedule it though! I am hoping that happens here in the next few days!! Im so excited, considering this is the only school I have applied to so far!

Now I need to brush up on my interview skills!

Ps. Here are my stats

MCAT: 27 (7/11/9)
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.64

Congratulations! Good luck on the interview :D

Last year there were about 10 or so people in the morning and then another 10 or so for afternoon interviews, by the way just relax, you will like the experience and it is ok to remove your jacket but NOT during the interviews

Is anyone else going to the recruitment weekend? I feel like it will be very helpful, even for those that have received interview invites.

Is anyone else going to the recruitment weekend? I feel like it will be very helpful, even for those that have received interview invites.

I will be there this Saturday giving tours. Specifically, if you stop by the simulation lab, say hello.

There is a 10% chance of rain and the high is 98 on Saturday...I know that seems hot, but consider yourself lucky. If you were touring this week, the high was 104 today.

Ill be interviewing here in 8/23 along with another poster here on SDN. Did anyone want to do happy hour or hangout afterwards?

My portal changed to "You have been invited for an interview" today at noon!!
I havent gotten a call to schedule it though! I am hoping that happens here in the next few days!! Im so excited, considering this is the only school I have applied to so far!

Now I need to brush up on my interview skills!

Ps. Here are my stats

MCAT: 27 (7/11/9)
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.64

Congrats :)

Instate ?

I'll be here tomorrow night for minority recruitment night, see you guys then

Last edited:
By the way bring all the questions you want answered, and I meant TOMORROW night, don't show up tonight because you will be alone there

Last edited:
By the way bring all the questions you want answered, and I meant TOMORROW night, don't show up tonight because you will be alone there

Do we get to talk to any admissions staff or is this mainly run by students?

You will get to ask questions to the admissions department, actually I think the main presentation will be done by the assistance director of admissions, then there will be a panel of students (I, II, III maybe even IV year) then during dinner you will be seated with a student and you can ask ANYTHING

This school is nice, I like the fact they treat you like people...like you actually get a call for an interview invite. Too often I feel like a statistic on a board or computer that a chain email, much like normal spam mail, gets sent to. I know emails are a lot easier, but actually having them call and be as courteous as Caroline was just makes your day sometimes...

I submitted my secondary on 7/17 and got an II on 8/2. Its my only one so far and hopefully I'll be hearing from other schools within the next month.

cGPA: 3.6 ~ (hair below at the moment)
SGPA: 3.65
Last 60 hr GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 33

Any dress code for recruitment night tonight??

Nope, called today and they told me my app just recently went to review status. Hopefully they call me soon

Wasn't your application in several months ago?