University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, all!

Been watching this thread for a while and finally got an interview!! I'm very, very interested in TCOM and being a DO! Anyone else interviewing on 12/8?

Good luck to all and hopefully I can join the class of 2020!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I am interviewing here soon, excited but also nervous! :O

How were the interviews? Stressful? Laid back and conversational? I think I just want to calm myself down and not think that interviewers will ask super hard questions or something to get too stressed about, ha ha!

Thanks in advance!

Ah, I am interviewing here soon, excited but also nervous! :O

How were the interviews? Stressful? Laid back and conversational? I think I just want to calm myself down and not think that interviewers will ask super hard questions or something to get too stressed about, ha ha!

Thanks in advance!

relaxed and conversational with your typical questions that are usually ask everywhere. Why a physician, why DO, why are your qualities.

I'm pre-matched to UNT and was wondering if there's a facebook group for accepted students?

I'm pre-matched to UNT and was wondering if there's a facebook group for accepted students?
There will be an "official" Facebook group created by administration in January or February.

Reactions: 1 users
I just realized it'll be TCOM c/o 2020 coming in :O

Does TCOM offer scholarships to IS students or just OOS?

To my limited knowledge, the school decides right? also when do they let applicants know about scholarships? @LChristmas
There is an online application that can be found through the financial aid page. I think I found out in May, but I don't remember exactly. It will vary on an individual basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any suggestions for hotels near TCOM? I am interviewing on 12/8.

Thanks

Any last minute suggestions or details about the interview process here? 2 interviews, a bit nervous...

I got a snail mail letter saying i was rejected on friday... So for those of you interviewing be sure to act like DOs are the only kind of doctor there is.

I got a snail mail letter saying i was rejected on friday... So for those of you interviewing be sure to act like DOs are the only kind of doctor there is.

I agree with @Cawolf. This is false... I met some/heard about MDs as well, and when they asked me about MD vs DO, I didn't talk down either MD or DO. I just told them both MDs and DOs are doctors with different approaches - and that answer seemed to have worked out.

Ahhh the bitterness is strong in this one!

To put this to rest, no one at TCOM is going to knock you for saying that you could see yourself as an MD or DO; they know you want to be a doctor, and they are not naïve. Hell, we're opening up an MD school with TCU lol. What you do have to do is come across as a person who will be happy as a DO, and has done enough research to make an informed decision about osteopathy.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when the next batch of prematches will be? I think at my interview they said they would try to send some out Dec 20th ish. Or do they send it out periodically?

Anyone know when the next batch of prematches will be? I think at my interview they said they would try to send some out Dec 20th ish. Or do they send it out periodically?

Based on the previous years' threads, it seems as though TCOM releases a small pre-match batch around December 8th!

Was in my spam folder, ACCPETED
Good thing I wore my lucky th*ng during my interview

Aspiring Aggie Dr. Question, did your status on my.unt.edu change from under review to has been reviewed before you got the rejection letter? Thank you for your help!

Just had a wonderful interview day here! Really hoping I get accepted, I absolutely love the school.

Just had a wonderful interview day here! Really hoping I get accepted, I absolutely love the school.

Me too! I wonder the when we'll see some activity with our status on the portal! Good luck!

Has anyone that is in-state from the October 23rd interview heard anything yet regarding pre match? My portal page was only updated to "under review" like two weeks ago.

The last batch typically goes out on the last day before Christmas break.

I submitted my secondary back in August, but still haven't heard anything, interview or rejection. Anyone know how late they do interviews? I'm out of state, so I'm sure that doesn't help my chances.

@Cal_EMT they do interviews through January, but I don't know how many of those go to OOS applicants. At my interview yesterday, there were 45 applicants there and very few of them were OOS. Many of them were in the MedSci program at UNT.

@Cal_EMT they do interviews through January, but I don't know how many of those go to OOS applicants. At my interview yesterday, there were 45 applicants there and very few of them were OOS. Many of them were in the MedSci program at UNT.

Yikes, they do interviews only into January? I probably won't get one then....bummer. :/

Have any OOS applicants who interviewed on Oct 23rd heard anything back yet?

@Cal_EMT All Texas schools are like that. They just like to get everything done early I guess.

Interviewed here yesterday as well. If I heard Dr. Kennedy correctly, there won't be another batch of pre-match offers. He said they won't be able to get them done before the deadline. So IS applicants are stuck until match day AFAIK.

Yeah, I figured the 12/8 group would more than likely have to wait for match day. If they do go ahead with one last batch of pre-matches (like they have in previous years), I highly doubt the December interviews will be included in that.

Agreed! I'm just going to try and focus on finals for now and then enjoy my winter break and hopefully do some more shadowing. It's gonna be a tough wait but hopefully we'll hear some good news on match day!

Distractions are your friend, especially since time becomes a precious commodity as an OMS (unless you're a fourth year....I heard they get a few days off :laugh:)

Well I was told at my interview 10/23 that if we were to pre match to expect to hear back towards the middle to the end of pre match. I kinda find it hard to believe that interviews way back in the later part of october havent been decided on yet. To my knowledge no IS from the 10/23 batch has heard anything yet but there have been people from that date and later interview dates that have received rejection letters.

Actually, based on past years, it's not that surprising that the October people haven't heard back yet. TCOM doesn't like to pre-match a lot of people, and they tend to hold off on making decisions until match day, including the waitlist. I tried to see if there was any pattern between rejections/matches/waitlists based on interview month, but it didn't really seem like it, and it's hard to tell anyway since SDN has such a small sample size relative to TCOM's class size. The only thing I really noticed was that the January interviews and MedScis tended to get waitlisted. Of course, this is all just speculation based on previous years and no one really knows except for the ADComs.

I submitted my secondary back in August, but still haven't heard anything, interview or rejection. Anyone know how late they do interviews? I'm out of state, so I'm sure that doesn't help my chances.

The last interview date as of now is January 12th per email correspondence. Best of luck :)

FWIW I interviewed in September, and they said most acceptances would come from prematch because they know lots of people will get multiple offers

Hmmm weird. I wonder what they mean by that exactly... in the past, it's been estimated that only 1/3 or so of the class is filled before match day, but maybe they're changing it this year and leaning more towards pre-matching more? I'm also guessing many of the people receiving multiple offers will likely go somewhere else, so I wonder how many of the pre-match people end up matriculating here.

Med school admissions. Crap... meet shoot.

Well after looking at the past three years worth of TCOM threads it seems like they always have 3 waves of prematches. One at the beginning, one on December the 8th-10th and one on the 22nd-24th. My guess is that they are running a little late this year but I would hope for at the least two waves of pre matches. Hope everyone is surviving finals!

@zkahle They did already have two batches of pre-matches! One on Nov 15 as expected and one around Nov 25 or so, although that one seemed to be very small so maybe the late December one will be bigger? Who knows... =/

Last edited:
I happened to interview on 10/23 and got a pre-match on 11/24. I am an IS

Last edited: