University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there has been movement off the wait list?

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you "got into" UC Davis and Emory with those scores too...Emory screens out under a 27. Keep posting dude this is like a movie to see what you post next :corny: Anyways, congrats;)

I was going to mention that also. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you "got into" UC Davis and Emory with those scores too...Emory screens out under a 27. Keep posting dude this is like a movie to see what you post next :corny: Anyways, congrats;)
Don't hate the playa hate the game, my guy

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there has been movement off the wait list?

Are you IS or OOS? I wouldn't expect any movement until after match day (Feb 1) if you're IS. As for OOS, I have no idea. I assume they handle OOS applicants a little differently due to the very limited spots.

Are you IS or OOS? I wouldn't expect any movement until after match day (Feb 1) if you're IS. As for OOS, I have no idea. I assume they handle OOS applicants a little differently due to the very limited spots.
I'm OOS. I called them and they told me that the wait list for OOS and IS is the same. So you're probably right that there won't be much movement until after the match... Waiting is the worst!

I'm OOS. I called them and they told me that the wait list for OOS and IS is the same. So you're probably right that there won't be much movement until after the match... Waiting is the worst!

Hmm well that's good to know! And yeah, I'm right there with you on the wait!

Turnaround time is way longer than that. You're trolling, and thank goodness you are bc if I end up matriculating, I'd hate to go to med school with you

Dude straight up lied.

Reactions: 7 users
Pre-matched to this school recently, hopefully see some of y'all next fall! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
hi all- recently been accepted here. has there been a facebook page created for the class of 2020? p.s. will be looking for a roommate eventually, too!

My understanding is the faculty/ Student government people will make an official FB page after match day. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

The last interview date for TCOM is supposedly tomorrow, Jan 12. However, it's a little odd that not one SDN user has gotten an interview for that date so who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL,

Has anyone IS or OS been notified that they are on the wait list?

ALL,

Has anyone IS or OS been notified that they are on the wait list?
I've been on the wait list since late October or so. They send a letter in the mail for wait list. I'm OOS

I thought the silent reaction quote from the application status says " your application has been reviewed". My application still says "your application has been received"... maybe it will change after today if it is the last interview date. I hope not I really wanted to interview here.

Anyone from the early December interviews get a status change on their UNT portal page?

My status now says, "Application status offline pending the results of the February 1, 2016 admissions match."

Hows the acceptance rate for OOS applicants? Avg mcat (503/504) above avg gpa 3.75 ish. EC are pretty good (not too worried about that...)

Hows the acceptance rate for OOS applicants? Avg mcat (503/504) above avg gpa 3.75 ish. EC are pretty good (not too worried about that...)
The state, as a whole, has an 8% OOS acceptance rate. (134/1364) Source
TCOM has a 2.7% OOS acceptance rate. (17/629) Source

There are no stats based breakdowns for OOS-specific acceptance. Anecdotally, TCOM OOS students have a similar GPA to you, but a higher MCAT based on the percentile.

Does anyone know if TCOM sends out emails at midnight? Or do we have to wait until 8? I'm guessing we'll have to wait but one can always hope.

EDIT: Yep, gotta wait until 8.

Last edited:
I MATCHED!!! Holy crap so happy!! One interview and one acceptance:highfive::clap:

Reactions: 9 users
I assume TCOM will email us soon. You will also get a packet in the mail in the next couple of days.

Unfortunately did not match :( does anyone know when we hear about waitlist or rejection?

Unfortunately did not match :( does anyone know when we hear about waitlist or rejection?

According to past years, you will get a letter in the mail saying you are rejected or wait-listed. Your status on the UNT portal will also change. Good luck!! The wait list typically moves quite a bit here so don't give up hope yet!

I MATCHED TOO! I was going to retake the MCAT in April, such a relief to know that I don't have to do that anymore!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Matched!

Also aren't we all automatically waitlisted at schools we ranked higher? My understanding is that there are no official "rejections" till June 1.

Reactions: 1 users
I MATCHED TOO! I was going to retake the MCAT in April, such a relief to know that I don't have to do that anymore!!!!

Same for me haha. Cheers to no more MCATs!

Matched! So thankful!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats guys! Also matched! :happy:

My fingers are crossed for all waitlisted. Keep your chin up, it's not over yet.

Matched!! :) If anyone hears anything about a facebook page for our class let me know!

Matched!! :) If anyone hears anything about a facebook page for our class let me know!

Supposedly a link will be included in our acceptance email, but I'm still waiting on that as of now.

Reactions: 2 users
I matched as well! Has anybody been accepted to the rural medicine program? I interviewed for it but I'm not sure if I got in.

Would you guys mind sharing if in state or oos? Also stats? Looking into this school next cycle!

Would you guys mind sharing if in state or oos? Also stats? Looking into this school next cycle!

In-state
29, 504 balanced MCATs, 3.67 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA, great leadership/ECs, average LoRs, decent research but no publications, LOTS of volunteering, clinical and non-clinical, and ~100 hours shadowing various specialties. Also strong interest in primary care.

EDIT: I also applied kind of late. Definitely don't do that haha. Submit your TMDSAS on the first day if possible!

Last edited:
Okay awesome awesome thanks! I'm in the similar boat, but i am OOslS so that puts be at a disadvantage. Because what the acceptance for OOS is like less than 10% right?

About 2-3% for OOS, but you never know. I got a II in the middle of June this cycle and accepted October 15. Avg MCAT, high GPA and significant ECs (especially relating to DO). Go for it, as not many OOS apply to Texas schools due to hassle of 3rd primary application. Apply EARLY!