University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I happened to interview on 10/23 and got a pre-match on 11/24. I am an IS

Congrats on the pre-match!! What were your stats, if you don't mind?

Also interesting that they did a 2nd round of pre-matches so relatively close to the original pre-match date.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember at my interview and hearing from those who have interviewed/current students, TCOM appears to be a match heavy school. Not sure if they are changing things up, but if they did this year, I hope we will all have a wonderful Christmas ;)

Just withdrew my OOS acceptance at TCOM.

Best of luck to those still waiting!

I got a snail mail letter saying i was rejected on friday... So for those of you interviewing be sure to act like DOs are the only kind of doctor there is.

I got interviewed by two MDs there. The first one basically went on a seven minute monologue about how MDs and DOs are the same, but there is this great divide between the two even though there shouldn't really be a reason for that nowadays, ha ha. XD

My status changed from "You have been invited for an interview" to "your application is under review" this morning so maybe the committee is meeting today?

My status changed from "You have been invited for an interview" to "your application is under review" this morning so maybe the committee is meeting today?

Mine stayed under review for over three months after interviewing! I think it just means that they checked a box saying you interviewed. Hopefully the wait is much shorter this time of year.

Mine stayed under review for over three months after interviewing! I think it just means that they checked a box saying you interviewed. Hopefully the wait is much shorter this time of year.

Oh gosh, I hope so. I think we will hear back on match day on Feb 1.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the wait is going to be match day at this point. Will be able to check the rumor of "has been reviewed" silent rejection perhaps if it changes before match day.

Oh right, match day is sooner than I thought! I think I had to wait so long because I interviewed in July.

Also, I like Lights.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looked at the residency placements from last year- Ortho at UCSF, Peds at Baylor, Cinci, and Arkansas, PMR at Baylor, UTSW, and Stanford, Anesthesiology at Case, S&W, and Vandy... Wow!

Reactions: 4 users
In my portal it says my application has been complete and received for months now. I have yet to hear back, should i take that as a silent rejection?

Hey Guys,
I was in the 11/20 interview day and have been checking much everyday online when I got a call today to go back to TCOM for a third interview. I didn't know medical schools did this. Luckily I am IS and not too far so I am going. Now I am a little worried though because they want another interview. Has anyone ever had a third interview?

Hey Guys,
I was in the 11/20 interview day and have been checking much everyday online when I got a call today to go back to TCOM for a third interview. I didn't know medical schools did this. Luckily I am IS and not too far so I am going. Now I am a little worried though because they want another interview. Has anyone ever had a third interview?

That's so weird. I had two interviews on a single interview day, so have you had four already on two separate days? Or are you counting the two from your first interview date? Med schools don't usually call people in for another interview date unless you had a bad experience the first time and requested to interview again. You should call the office to get clarification!

ROME applicants need an extra interview with a program dean.

That's so weird. I had two interviews on a single interview day, so have you had four already on two separate days? Or are you counting the two from your first interview date? Med schools don't usually call people in for another interview date unless you had a bad experience the first time and requested to interview again. You should call the office to get clarification!
I had the normal interview day with two interviews and have been waiting to see if I got in. Now I just got invited for one more interview with another interviewer. I thought both interviews were great which is why I was thrown by this. It probably means that one interviewer liked me a lot and another one had a different opinion. I just thought it was weird and assume its because I may be in the inbetween at the moment.

I had the normal interview day with two interviews and have been waiting to see if I got in. Now I just got invited for one more interview with another interviewer. I thought both interviews were great which is why I was thrown by this. It probably means that one interviewer liked me a lot and another one had a different opinion. I just thought it was weird and assume its because I may be in the inbetween at the moment.

Adcoms don't operate that way. They give great deference to the interviewers. In fact, they just take the average if two scores differ, and if an interviewer gives you a poor score or makes negative comments, then there is simply no further consideration i.e. you're toast. Interviews are generally a one-day affair for applicants, even for special admits, so I'd be curious as to how this is happening.

Edit: I forgot a distinct possibility: One of your interviewers forgot to fill out/submit their score sheet and couldn't reconstruct your scores from memory, but the score sheet from the other interviewer was (obviously) positive enough for the committee to consider you a viable candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED WOOHOOOO!

Interviewed end of Oct, LizzyM <70, re-applicant, ORM, proud Texan

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! IS interviewed in early Nov.

Reactions: 2 users
Email.

Portal has been updated, too.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Christmas batch!

Reactions: 3 users
My portal still isn't updated though :(

edit: the sadface smiley on here looks soo freakin sad ^

In my portal it says my application has been complete and received for months now. I have yet to hear back, should i take that as a silent rejection?

I would have to say so. I was complete 6/20 with no portal change at all, so we probably got silently rejected

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to anyone still waiting!

Accepted yesterday via email! Interviewed 11/17

Is there a FB group for Class of 2020!? We should start one!

Previous threads do mention an official Facebook page started by TCOM...I'm not 100% sure but I think last year's came out in February.

The official Facebook page will be started by Dr. Kennedy after Match Day.

Will be giving up my spot, best of luck. Hope it goes to one you guys!

Accepted 11/17!!!!

Kind of an underdog so I was worried- 3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT, URM, Interviewed 10/22
Still waiting to hear from the other TX schools I interviewed at but I was blown away by this school on interview day and would love to end up here!

Edit: Mixed up accepted and interviewed dates.

Last edited:
Accepted 10/22!!!!

Kind of an underdog so I was worried- 3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT, URM, Interviewed 11/17
Still waiting to hear from the other TX schools I interviewed at but I was blown away by this school on interview day and would love to end up here!

3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT? And you got accepted before the interview? Okey dokey.

3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT? And you got accepted before the interview? Okey dokey.

Oops my bad homie totally got those dates mixed up, I switched them to the right dates and made note of it in the edit. And I guess you're right my stats are below avg for this school but i did nail the interview

Last edited:
Accepted 11/17!!!!

Kind of an underdog so I was worried- 3.2 GPA, 22 MCAT, URM, Interviewed 10/22

Edit: Mixed up accepted and interviewed dates.

Congratulations!

Oops my bad homie totally got those dates mixed up, I switched them to the right dates and made note of it in the edit. And I guess you're right my stats are below avg for this school but i did nail the interview

How were your ECs?

Sent secondary in 10/1 and got a call from Caroline a few days after

Turnaround time is way longer than that. You're trolling, and thank goodness you are bc if I end up matriculating, I'd hate to go to med school with you

Turnaround time is way longer than that. You're trolling, and thank goodness you are bc if I end up matriculating, I'd hate to go to med school with you
Idk what to tell you fam. Weather you believe me or not doesn't change my acceptance

Idk what to tell you fam. Whether you believe me or not doesn't change my acceptance
Looks like you "got into" UC Davis and Emory with those scores too...Emory screens out under a 27. Keep posting dude this is like a movie to see what you post next :corny: Anyways, congrats;)

Last edited: