University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are any of you, who got accepted, OOS with a subpar MCAT (anything under 505)? Would you mind PMing me, i have a couple questions and this school is a top choice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Still haven't heard any news. Just wondering if anyone knows if this school does silent rejections or when the last interview day is or anything like that. Just kindof wondering and hanging out here... Haha.
Any info at all would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Whoo hoo! Finally got my pre-interview rejection letter through the mail! Been waiting since May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all know if it is frowned upon to apply to a lot of DO schools? TCOM is definitely my top choice but seeing as this is my last year of MCAT eligibility and my struggles the first time applying to MD schools, I am basically doing a shotgun approach. One of my brother's friends was on the admissions committee at Baylor and said it isn't frowned upon from the allopathic perspective, so I'm applying to 70 MD schools with the assumption that I'd be lucky to get an interview from one. But I feel like my stats are more competitive at DO schools, so not sure how this approach is perceived from the osteopathic perspective. Can anyone weigh in? I was thinking of applying to like 15 DO schools.

Stats:
GPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.41
MCAT: 30

Thanks in advance!

Do y'all know if it is frowned upon to apply to a lot of DO schools? TCOM is definitely my top choice but seeing as this is my last year of MCAT eligibility and my struggles the first time applying to MD schools, I am basically doing a shotgun approach. One of my brother's friends was on the admissions committee at Baylor and said it isn't frowned upon from the allopathic perspective, so I'm applying to 70 MD schools with the assumption that I'd be lucky to get an interview from one. But I feel like my stats are more competitive at DO schools, so not sure how this approach is perceived from the osteopathic perspective. Can anyone weigh in? I was thinking of applying to like 15 DO schools.

Stats:

Thanks in advance!
I'm pretty sure that none of the schools will know how many other schools you are applying to unless you tell them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you really applying to ~70 allopathic schools?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

I'm pretty sure that none of the schools will know how many other schools you are applying to unless you tell them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you really applying to ~70 allopathic schools?

Yeah in the TMDSAS and AMCAS applications they ask you what other schools you are applying to so I assume the schools have access to that information. Not sure about AACOMAS though.

Yeah, I don't have much else of a choice. I want to avoid having to take the MCAT again and I only want to apply to the Caribbean after I've exhausted all my options in the states. I'm looking at >200 secondary questions/essays. :/

Stats:

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it would be frowned upon on its face. Admissions committees have seen it all before and they know how it goes. I would anticipate a question and have a well thought out answer if and when they ask you about it. Otherwise cast the net wide.

Stats:

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine for DO schools. They don't really care too much where you apply, except maybe during an interview where they MIGHT ask you if you've applied to MD as well.

But 70+ schools? Good luck with that. Most people get burned out after writing 20-30 secondaries (myself included).

Yeah in the TMDSAS and AMCAS applications they ask you what other schools you are applying to so I assume the schools have access to that information. Not sure about AACOMAS though.

Yeah, I don't have much else of a choice. I want to avoid having to take the MCAT again and I only want to apply to the Caribbean after I've exhausted all my options in the states. I'm looking at >200 secondary questions/essays. :/
I only mean this as friendly advice - obviously only you know what you are capable of in terms of writing essays. Rather than applying to that many schools I would focus my efforts on the programs I think I have the best chance at and write the best essays I can for those schools. If I had to write over 200 essays, I think I would have to compromise the quality of the essays for the sake of getting them done - especially because many schools want the essays back within a couple of weeks. I think you would save yourself some time, money, work and stress and get better results if you focused on fewer programs.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. Best wishes with the next cycle.

70 schools!? I applied to 35 and thought that was excessive (it was). Your stats aren't bad enough to justify that, trust me. Apply to an even match of MD and DO and you should do well

I only mean this as friendly advice - obviously only you know what you are capable of in terms of writing essays. Rather than applying to that many schools I would focus my efforts on the programs I think I have the best chance at and write the best essays I can for those schools. If I had to write over 200 essays, I think I would have to compromise the quality of the essays for the sake of getting them done - especially because many schools want the essays back within a couple of weeks. I think you would save yourself some time, money, work and stress and get better results if you focused on fewer programs.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. Best wishes with the next cycle.

I completely agree with you. Good thing about SDN is I have access to all the secondaries of all the schools ahead of time, and most of them are pretty much the same each year. But yeah I've done like 20 essays and I can already see my writing and motivation begin to taper off. Problem is my dad met a doctor who supposedly applied to >100 schools, and got the idea that I should do the same. But I'm focusing on the priority schools now and we'll see how I progress. I'll probably pair it down a little more as time goes on, but its still going to be a lot of work.

Thank you all for your insight and advice! It is greatly appreciated.​

Reactions: 1 user
Have any accepted students heard anything about scholarships yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys/gals, I'm looking closer at going to UNT and applying this cycle '16-'17, and I'm wondering how valuable is a letter of rec. or even DO shadowing is for the app cycle? I have the opportunity to do so, but there's a time crunch for me since I'm still adding other things to my app.

I'm wondering how valuable is a letter of rec. or even DO shadowing is for the app cycle? I have the opportunity to do so, but there's a time crunch for me since I'm still adding other things to my app.

I'm sure a DO letter/shadowing would help, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. I didn't have any DO shadowing or physical letters and I got in this cycle. Just make sure you can answer "Why DO?" during the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure a DO letter/shadowing would help, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. I didn't have any DO shadowing or physical letters and I got in this cycle. Just make sure you can answer "Why DO?" during the interview.

Thanks! I'm just looking for any extra insights.

Faculty who served as adcoms told me that was never a determining factor either way. Concentrate on your stats and clinical experience.

Stats:

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if this is true, but my pre-med adviser told me that med schools are not allow to ask you how many other school you are applying to. He said that if we ever get asked that question, he'll contact the school and tell them to never ask that question again. Idk if this is true for all school though.

Do any of the upperclassmen know when TCOM typically send out news in regards to scholarships/grants?

I got in off the waitlist today! I am so excited to have this opportunity and to see what Texas is like! I'm OOS from Washington

Reactions: 6 users
Also, does anyone know what the minimum grades are for TCOM? I think I will do well this semester I just want to be sure that nothing messes this up for me!

I got in off the waitlist today! I am so excited to have this opportunity and to see what Texas is like! I'm OOS from Washington

Congrats, welcome to the Class of 2020!! As for your grades question, the contract wasn't specific, it just said your academic performance can't fall significantly. I THINK as long as you pass everything you're in, you should be fine. To be totally sure, you could always email or call admissions.

Could any current students comment on apartments/housing near campus?

Last edited:
Does anyone have info regarding the waitlist for TCOM this cycle? Is it ranked, do they accept letters of intent/update? Thanks.

Does anyone have info regarding the waitlist for TCOM this cycle? Is it ranked, do they accept letters of intent/update? Thanks.
The waitlist is ranked but they of course won't tell you what your rank is. They do accept letters of intent, but the office of admissions will tell you that it doesn't affect your place that much. It can't hurt to send one in though. I sent one in on Monday and got an acceptance email on Tuesday. That may have just been a coincidence, but I don't think the letter of intent hurts

The waitlist is ranked but they of course won't tell you what your rank is. They do accept letters of intent, but the office of admissions will tell you that it doesn't affect your place that much. It can't hurt to send one in though. I sent one in on Monday and got an acceptance email on Tuesday. That may have just been a coincidence, but I don't think the letter of intent hurts
Probably coincidence, unless that letter arrived in one day ha. Congrats by the way.

I made the difficult decision to withdraw today. I'm OOS. Good luck everyone!

What's the lowest grade can you get before TCOM/other medical schools rescind offers? I am already accepted here, and I'm doing great in all my classes except this one upper level science class (which will be my first non "A" in college) BUT that first non-A grade may be a C... (but most likely a B). help?

What's the lowest grade can you get before TCOM/other medical schools rescind offers? I am already accepted here, and I'm doing great in all my classes except this one upper level science class (which will be my first non "A" in college) BUT that first non-A grade may be a C... (but most likely a B). help?
I think you should be fine. I asked them about it and it seems that as long as your GPA doesn't drop SIGNIFICALLY then you should be fine. One C shouldn't be a dealbreaker especially since your other grades have been so great.

Has anyone heard any news regarding the waitlist? There seems to be movement going around in other schools and I was curious about this thread... It is awfully quite :whistle:

I know at least 2 people who've left the class for TAMHSC and UTHSCSA, so there should be some movement soon

Yeah, TCOM tends to pull off the waitlist in batches, and there hasn't been any movement since the April 30 deadline, so I assume we will see movement very soon. I think the ADCOMS might just be making final decisions on who exactly to pull off the list.

Well, now I feel a little bad. I got matched today, yet my stats aren't nearly as good as other people and I applied late too.
New MCAT: 501
GPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.83
Major: Nutrition and also working on my master too
I applied end of July, submitted secondary in September, and interviewed late November.
I only interviewed here, so it's really amazing that I got in.
Good luck to everyone.
Do you know what a 501 mcat equates to on the old mcat?

Thanks for the responses guys! This is very helpful. I am waitlisted at TCOM and Tech and would love it if everyone could keep updating with any news at all on who is getting accepted from TCOM off of the waitlist! Goodluck everyone :)

Yeah, TCOM tends to pull off the waitlist in batches, and there hasn't been any movement since the April 30 deadline, so I assume we will see movement very soon. I think the ADCOMS might just be making final decisions on who exactly to pull off the list.

Have you by any chance seen movement in the TCOM 2020 Facebook page? It seems like most Texas schools are having slow waitlist movements.

I know Paul Foster pulled at least one from the wait list (a friend of mine). Im not sure how helpful that is, but there you go.

Have you by any chance seen movement in the TCOM 2020 Facebook page? It seems like most Texas schools are having slow waitlist movements.

It's hard to tell, honestly. A lot of TCOM upperclassmen have been slowly joining the group, so you can't tell by just the amount of members. Last time there was a group pulled off in mid April, the admin of the group posted something about welcoming the new additions, but I haven't seen anything like that since the April 30th deadline. I can't say for sure of course, but I think the next batch is yet to come, so don't lose hope yet!

It's hard to tell, honestly. A lot of TCOM upperclassmen have been slowly joining the group, so you can't tell by just the amount of members. Last time there was a group pulled off in mid April, the admin of the group posted something about welcoming the new additions, but I haven't seen anything like that since the April 30th deadline. I can't say for sure of course, but I think the next batch is yet to come, so don't lose hope yet!
Thanks to both comments above! The waiting game is definitely the worst part of the application process. Hopefully there will be movement soon. Maybe they are waiting for medsci to finish this semester.

Thanks to both comments above! The waiting game is definitely the worst part of the application process. Hopefully there will be movement soon. Maybe they are waiting for medsci to finish this semester.

Med Sci is done as of a week or two ago.

It seems like they pulled a batch off the waitlist today! Good luck to everyone waiting.

I just got a call and an email! I got off the wait list!!! Stats: IS ,MCAT: 32 GPA:3.6 and a boat load of EC and publications.

Reactions: 4 users
Got off the waitlist today! Could not be more excited to be a student at TCOM. For everyone still waiting, don't lose hope! There will be several more rounds. Even if you dont get in this cycle, dont ever give up!

Got off the waitlist today! Could not be more excited to be a student at TCOM. For everyone still waiting, don't lose hope! There will be several more rounds. Even if you dont get in this cycle, dont ever give up!

Could you please share your stats?

Congrats to everyone who got in and thank you for the update on the movement!

So has anyone heard anything about in-state applicants getting off of the waitlist? I am on the waitlist and it is just hard waiting lol

So has anyone heard anything about in-state applicants getting off of the waitlist? I am on the waitlist and it is just hard waiting lol
I am one of the ones who got off the wait list, I am an in state applicant. I haven't heard of any others besides me and @rdiddy. Good luck!

When will they tell us about scholarships? Did they already announce it?

I got a tuition grant with my financial aid. The max for tuition grants is $2,000/year.