University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you mind sharing your avg mcat/high gpa? Pm me?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I unfortunately did not get matched today. My stats are as following:

MCAT: 28
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.70

In-State applicant. Good leadership experience, DO and MD shadowing, 2 semester of research experience. Any ideas on how the waitlist works and if my chances are good?

Last edited:
I just noticed that when I go to my student center within the UNT portal, it has a little green checkmark where a green circle used to be. The key says that the checkmark means you were admitted, which matches with TMDSAS. However my status still says the Feb 1 match day thing.

Picture for reference:
Screenshot_2016-02-01-16-10-36-1.png

Reactions: 1 users
Damn. Any reason as to why you think you may not have matched? Late applicant? Not a good interview?

Damn. Any reason as to why you think you may not have matched? Late applicant? Not a good interview?

I am not very sure. I was surprised, but I'm sure there were very well qualified applicants. My first interview went amazing and the second one went alright as well. I finished my secondary for TCOM in early June, so I doubt it was due to any sort of delay. I am very interested in going to TCOM, hopefully I will be able to get accepted through the waiting list. Hoping to hear anyone else's thought on my weaknesses?

Hoping to hear anyone else's thought on my weaknesses?

Are you IS? All I can think of is that maybe your interview was just average compared to other applicants. I doubt you did badly since you are on the waitlist instead of getting a flat-out rejection. Your stats are about right for IS applicants so I'd say you have a pretty good shot at getting off the waitlist, but nothing about waitlists is ever certain. I do know that TCOM typically takes people off the waitlist in batches rather than one by one as people withdraw. That really only happens when people withdraw close to the first day of classes. Anyway, good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

EDIT: Just saw that you said in your earlier post that you are IS. Also, do you have any clinical/non-clinical volunteering? One of my interviewers really loved my volunteering activities so that could be a possible weakness.

Reactions: 1 user
No Match either, IS applicant
MCAT: 27
cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.97

Submitted the secondary in August, interviewed in October.

Graduated a year ago with a degree in Microbiology.
~165 credit hours XD

When submitting the application I had about half a year of scribe experience both ER/clinic's. A moderate amount of volunteering. Great rec letters none from DO though. About 100 hours of shadow experience with 2 different DO's. A semester of research. Felt really good about the interviews, we had really awesome discussions. A lot of leadership experience as well.

Hopefully wait listed.... Still waiting to find out.

Congrats to everyone that has made it so far!

No Match either, IS applicant
MCAT: 27
cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.97

Submitted the secondary in August, interviewed in October.

Graduated a year ago with a degree in Microbiology.
~165 credit hours XD

When submitting the application I had about half a year of scribe experience both ER/clinic's. A moderate amount of volunteering. Great rec letters none from DO though. About 100 hours of shadow experience with 2 different DO's. A semester of research. Felt really good about the interviews, we had really awesome discussions. A lot of leadership experience as well.

Hopefully wait listed.... Still waiting to find out.

Congrats to everyone that has made it so far!

We have the exact same numbers/major/interview date/secondary submission.... I was actually scared for a minute that someone changed my username..

Well, now I feel a little bad. I got matched today, yet my stats aren't nearly as good as other people and I applied late too.
New MCAT: 501
GPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.83
Major: Nutrition and also working on my master too
I applied end of July, submitted secondary in September, and interviewed late November.
I only interviewed here, so it's really amazing that I got in.
Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have the exact same numbers/major/interview date/secondary submission.... I was actually scared for a minute that someone changed my username..
Wow that's crazy! You made it so hopefully there is still hope... :) I was feeling pretty good about match day. Good luck to everyone!

For those that matched yesterday, have y'all gotten any kind of email or anything yet?

Just got an email! It had a link for the Facebook group and a link to apply for scholarships.

Longgggg time lurker but first time poster!

I matched!!! I'm so excited to attend TCOM and hopefully I get to meet every one of you. Good luck to everyone who's on the waitlist and is still striving towards becoming a physician. I think going through this journey has been one of the toughest yet most rewarding things I've done with my life and I continue to wish everyone out there whose waiting to hear back nothing but the best. I still can't believe it a day after. I'm going to be a doctor!! I think we can all attest to the fact that there are times throughout the journey to med school when things look bleak but it is precisely during those times that your passion and willpower must overcome the hopelessness and carry you through. The climb up the mountain is long and wearisome but I can promise you that the view at the top is worth it. Good luck once again to everyone still waiting and congrats to my soon to be fellow classmates! I'll see those of you who've matched at orientation. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For those that did not match- Has anyone heard about waitlist/rejections?

For those that did not match- Has anyone heard about waitlist/rejections?

I called them yesterday and they told me I was on the waitlist. You should call. Also PM me. I have a few questions.

Anyone familiar with the new curriculum?

Can't find specific info about it on their site (classes, schedule, time dedicated to board prep, etc.)

the 3rd/4th year curriculum is on there if you google search for it as far as required rotations, optional months, electives etc. They told us at interviews first year is morning classes and afternoon labs, 2nd year is opposite. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

the 3rd/4th year curriculum is on there if you google search for it as far as required rotations, optional months, electives etc. They told us at interviews first year is morning classes and afternoon labs, 2nd year is opposite. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Unless they have changed the curriculum for the new class the schedule is: class in the morning for both first and second year followed by subsequent labs and extra things in the afternoon.

Thanks guys! It's kinda cool that they have the weekly schedule for all to see online - haven't seen that anywhere else! Still can't find info on board prep though. An MSIII said that there's only 5 weeks to study for the USMLE and COMLEX... is that really enough time? I've seen 8 weeks minimum everywhere else, but I'm sure OMM cuts into this time significantly

Thanks guys! It's kinda cool that they have the weekly schedule for all to see online - haven't seen that anywhere else! Still can't find info on board prep though. An MSIII said that there's only 5 weeks to study for the USMLE and COMLEX... is that really enough time? I've seen 8 weeks minimum everywhere else, but I'm sure OMM cuts into this time significantly

Current TCOM 2nd year. About to be in board-prep mode, so I can comment to how I'm feeling at the moment. From what I have gathered from my classmates and 3rd years, the 6 weeks off that we have is more than enough to study for boards. Many people do 250s+ on USMLE and none have complained to me about the time available. I know I definitely will be burnt out by 5 weeks of studying and don't want any more time to study. The only thing that may be frustrating is the shortened summer vacay time depending on when you take boards. I have many classmates who are taking it a week before I am and are happy having 4 weeks of dedicated time to study... My point is- do well in school and you should be more than fine on boards with the allotted time:)

And to comment on the curriculum. We rarely have class in the afternoon second year. It's definitely not "reversed" from first year. Second year is awesome and way more fun!

Reactions: 2 users

Current 2nd year. Classes are not in the afternoon. Most begin at 9 and go until noon. Occasionally, you will have a class in the afternoon, but not often. Second year afternoons are used for OMM and Clinical skills/preceptorship time (two afternoons a week). It's awesome and you have way more free time than 1st year!

Even better! Was just confused from our tour, I guess :)

Hello everyone, I was wondering how frequently TCOM hands out scholarships to IS students and how much (on average)?

My point is- do well in school and you should be more than fine on boards with the allotted time:)

^ This. Very few programs scrutinize your preclinical grades when you apply for residency, but you do need to have a good understanding of the material in order to do well on boards.

Congrats and good luck to all!

Is it true that we will be the first class to have pass/fail system? I didn't see any information about this.

The student ambassadors mentioned it several times on my interview day (mainly about how lucky we were haha). Also, the first year curriculum director talked about it fairly extensively during the lunch presentation he gave.

EDIT: After some digging around, I found a little more information on it here: http://catalog.unthsc.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=266

Last edited:
What is the portal supposed to say if you are waitlisted?

What is the portal supposed to say if you are waitlisted?
I'm on the waitlist and my portal still says "Application status offline pending the results of the February 1, 2016 admissions match.".
I assume that is the case with everyone, but I may be wrong.

The student ambassadors mentioned it several times on my interview day (mainly about how lucky we were haha). Also, the first year curriculum director talked about it fairly extensively during the lunch presentation he gave.

EDIT: After some digging around, I found a little more information on it here: http://catalog.unthsc.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=266

But there's still an internal numerical ranking system... Hopefully people won't be too cutthroat about it.

If we sign the acceptance form and turn it in, are we bound to go to TCOM? I'm on a waitlist at a higher ranked school currently

Absolutely not. It's more to confirm that you currently plan on attending TCOM, but you can withdraw in the case of another acceptance (or any other reason really).

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, I was wondering how frequently TCOM hands out scholarships to IS students and how much (on average)?

There are a lot of options ranging from $500 to $5000 a year. Plus there are lots of external scholarships. You will have to apply and may require letters of recommendation. However, many people receive some sort of scholarship.

Does anyone know when the first round of people from the waitlist get acceptance offers?

I was told a lot of wait-list activity will occur in May.

Finally - a change that's long overdue.
I fail to see how pass-fail is beneficial to anyone. To the people who are at the bottom of the ranked class? Residencies couldn't care less. To the people who are at the top of the ranked class? It's beneficial to their application (I'm not talking about just your ranked % that goes in your dean's letter, I'm talking about how your grade is a gateway to CV boosters like dean's list, SSP, and the honors program). The only people who complain about the ranked grading system are the people at the bottom that can't handle not being a special snowflake. Taking away the grading system is just taking away one of the strong points of the TCOM grads who might go on to match into competitive fields. Let's be real though, there'll be a class rank- it's just that now the administration has a way of hiding it.

Last edited:
The only people who complain about the ranked grading system are the people at the bottom that can't handle not being a special starfish. Taking away the grading system is just taking away one of the strong points of the TCOM grads who might go on to match into competitive fields. Let's be real though, there'll be a class rank- it's just that now the administration has a way of hiding it.

TCOM is definitely NOT taking away rankings. The rankings are still very much there, and they're not trying to hide them either.

I would say the majority of medical schools are either currently P/F or will be switching over to a P/F system very soon. It has been shown to greatly reduce the amount of anxiety and depression in medical students--something that is already all too prevalent in the medical field. Every medical student I've talked to greatly prefers the P/F system to the traditional A-F system because it makes the first two years more about learning the information and being prepared for Step 1 rather than trying to simply get the best grades.

I have heard the Pass/Fail v. grades argument framed in both ways and both have valid points as well as detractors. The residency counseling folks have outlined that grades are another data point in which Program Directors can evaluate you against your peers. I see it as a zero sum gain as the ranking will still happen. Maybe it will reduce stress for some people who are concerned about the grade as a number or place their self worth in that number. I chose to view them as a reflection of my knowledge and areas to improve.

That being said, I can't imagine med school being any less stressful with a pass/fail vs grading system. You will still have to learn the information and be evaluated on your grasp of that information. The grade is a product of that evaluation but the stress happens in the weeks leading up to the test when life, non-systems academics, and information assimilation start to take a toll.

Either way, it will be quite the experience and please let me know if you have questions.

TCOM is definitely NOT taking away rankings. The rankings are still very much there, and they're not trying to hide them either.

I would say the majority of medical schools are either currently P/F or will be switching over to a P/F system very soon. It has been shown to greatly reduce the amount of anxiety and depression in medical students--something that is already all too prevalent in the medical field. Every medical student I've talked to greatly prefers the P/F system to the traditional A-F system because it makes the first two years more about learning the information and being prepared for Step 1 rather than trying to simply get the best grades.

I am a medical student who prefers the A-F system, and I have a hard time believing I'm the first one you've met. The motivation to learn the information well now to perform well on a standardized test that won't happen for 2 years is nothing compared to the motivation to get your butt off the couch and study the powerpoints/flash cards one more time that comes with the threat of getting a C when your classmates are getting A's. As far as the anxiety and depression goes, that comes with the territory.

Last edited:
Hey, if someone is looking for a good place to stay PM me. I was in the Medsci program but I am going OOS. Good look people!