University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I keep reading about how tcom will provide us with a laptop and iPad mini?

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently a Macbook pro and ipad? I'll ask for you tomorrow at my interview. I have no idea how to use any Apple product.

It's the technology package! I believe it's part of tuition/fees and is a mandatory package.

Last year students were supplied with an iPad Mini 2 and a 2015 MacBook Pro with the school's software installed. Just something to keep in mind if you choose this school and we're planning to buy a new laptop.

Members don't see this ad :)
You say "provide" but it's more of a "force you to pay $2,000 for a mandatory technology package."

Reactions: 5 users
You say "provide" but it's more of a "force you to pay $2,000 for a mandatory technology package."

Is it possible to transfer the software to another computer? Has anyone attempted it?

Is it possible to transfer the software to another computer? Has anyone attempted it?
You can use whatever you want for note taking and studying. All of your quizzes and exams must be taken on the school-issued computer/iPad. There might be 1 person out of 235 that uses a different computer in class.

Reactions: 1 user

Looks like the new laptop I just bought was a waste then lol.

does TCOM have any scholarships?

as for interviews, 30 mins or so each, both faculty and closed files?

Prepare for ethical dilemma type of questions (in short...sort of like MMI)???

Members don't see this ad :)
does TCOM have any scholarships?

as for interviews, 30 mins or so each, both faculty and closed files?

Prepare for ethical dilemma type of questions (in short...sort of like MMI)???

Plenty of scholarships. My interviews were conversational and in one of them the faculty talked more than me. Very chill day. Partially closed file: no GPA or MCAT.

If you want to defer and miss out on $200k in salary, go for it. You better have a good reason though.

I need advice:

I had to leave after my interviews ended, so I did not go on the tour or anything after the interviews. Should I send an email explaining the situation? Would it negatively affect my standing at this school or other schools?

Thanks!

I need advice:

I had to leave after my interviews ended, so I did not go on the tour or anything after the interviews. Should I send an email explaining the situation? Would it negatively affect my standing at this school or other schools?

Thanks!

Did you happen to tell anyone there you were leaving and why? Honestly, if you didn't, it doesn't have much to any influence on your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ar
Plenty of scholarships. My interviews were conversational and in one of them the faculty talked more than me. Very chill day. Partially closed file: no GPA or MCAT.

If you want to defer and miss out on $200k in salary, go for it. You better have a good reason though.

are all interviews partially close file? If I had a low GPA, should I keep everything positive and not really mention or beat on it too much during the interview, instead of focus on the the GREAT POSITIVE aspects of my application?

are you a current student?

Did you happen to tell anyone there you were leaving and why? Honestly, if you didn't, it doesn't have much to any influence on your application.

I did! Plus, I just sent an email to Caroline explaining everything.

So when preparing for the interview:

should i assume the interviewer will 1) not know anything about me at all or 2) assume that they have read over the application/essays. committee letter...

should i assume the interviewer will 1) not know anything about me at all or 2) assume that they have read over the application/essays. committee letter...
For my interviews, they had my entire application in front of them. They never asked any questions about it though, we mainly just talked about various topics and the basic interview questions like strengths, weaknesses, why DO, why medicine, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

The school has read your application and wants to meet you - focus on the positive! If asked about the GPA make no excuses, talk about progress in upward direction

For TCOM specifically, I believe Dr. Kennedy had said the interviews were more or less closed-file; the interviewers had personal statements, essays, basic demographic info, but none of the academic numbers like GPA or MCAT score.

I need advice:

Thanks!

Lol dude, we were waiting for you, but not for long though because we had a schedule with the bus driver. It's ok, you didn't miss much of the tour. She is not part of the committee, but as long as you emailed her to explain, it'll be ok.

Last edited:
For TCOM specifically, I believe Dr. Kennedy had said the interviews were more or less closed-file; the interviewers had personal statements, essays, basic demographic info, but none of the academic numbers like GPA or MCAT score.

Strangely, both of my interviewers were surprised when I told them a certain thing about my work history. It was stamped all over my application though, so who knows how much time they had to read over the files.

Lol dude, we were waiting for you, but not for long though because we had a schedule with the bus driver. It's ok, you didn't miss much of the tour. She is not part of the committee, but as long as you emailed her to explain, it'll be ok.
I am sorry that I made y'all wait on me! Hope to see you in the future, it was cool speaking with you!

I am sorry that I made y'all wait on me! Hope to see you in the future, it was cool speaking with you!

Did you speak to me? Which guy were you? I spoke to a lot of people. Were you the early bird that interviewed with the same doctor I did?

Did you speak to me? Which guy were you? I spoke to a lot of people. Were you the early bird that interviewed with the same doctor I did?
Wait, so other people left after their interviews?

ar

are all interviews partially close file? If I had a low GPA, should I keep everything positive and not really mention or beat on it too much during the interview, instead of focus on the the GREAT POSITIVE aspects of my application?

are you a current student?

AFAIK, all interviews are partially closed file. If you mention any weakness in your interview, be prepared to turn it into a positive. If I were you, I would bring it up and talk about how you recognized a weakness, identified a solution, and implemented a change. They're going to notice your GPA eventually, so it's better for you to talk about it than let them draw their own conclusions.

So my portal still says application complete. Too late if I haven't heard by now?

So my portal still says application complete. Too late if I haven't heard by now?

Not necessarily - TCOM interviews into the first week or so of January. As long as your portal doesn't say "application has been reviewed," you're not out of the running yet.

man, was really hoping for a prematch from TCOM :(

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive the letter from tcom yet? Signing and mailing it back doesn't mean we're going there right?

Anyone receive the letter from tcom yet? Signing and mailing it back doesn't mean we're going there right?

I've received, signed and mailed it back. You've gotta be jesting about the second part. That document is stating that you agree to the acceptance. Not fulfilling it would be kinda sketch...though I'm certain it's been done before.

Read it carefully. I forget exactly what it says. I think it is a contract that you acknowledge your acceptance to the program. I'm not sure that it's a binding contract that would prevent you from accepting offers from another school if you're on the waitlist. Again, read the fine print. I don't think you would be the first person to rescind your acceptance in favor of attending another school. If that's something you decide to do, just let them know ASAP.

Also, I think they release a batch of matches about once a month after the admissions committee meeting.

Reactions: 3 users
Read it carefully. I forget exactly what it says. I think it is a contract that you acknowledge your acceptance to the program. I'm not sure that it's a binding contract that would prevent you from accepting offers from another school if you're on the waitlist. Again, read the fine print. I don't think you would be the first person to rescind your acceptance in favor of attending another school. If that's something you decide to do, just let them know ASAP.

Also, I think they release a batch of matches about once a month after the admissions committee meeting.

Thanks that's what I thought. Just had my parents telling me by signing I would be going there and needed to double check :p

Just dropping by to say this- as a first-year med student here, I'm going through a very rough patch right now (without getting too specific). And I couldn't be luckier to be at this very institution where student wellness is such a priority. Things to know about: if you don't have enough money for food, there's a student pantry/community garden. All of this week and last students were able to stop by and pick up food to last them a bit through the holidays.

If you're grieving over a friend's recent extenuating death, the school helps you reschedule an exam or two, points you out to local support groups, sets you up with 6 free counseling sessions per issue, has an entirely dept called CARE that works with you through the process, and professors/classmates individually reach out to you to make sure you're doing alright and have the proper resources.

It's good to know that when life hits you hard, the whole school is there to help get you through.

Reactions: 10 users
Just dropping by to say this- as a first-year med student here, I'm going through a very rough patch right now (without getting too specific). And I couldn't be luckier to be at this very institution where student wellness is such a priority. Things to know about: if you don't have enough money for food, there's a student pantry/community garden. All of this week and last students were able to stop by and pick up food to last them a bit through the holidays.

If you're grieving over a friend's recent extenuating death, the school helps you reschedule an exam or two, points you out to local support groups, sets you up with 6 free counseling sessions per issue, has an entirely dept called CARE that works with you through the process, and professors/classmates individually reach out to you to make sure you're doing alright and have the proper resources.

It's good to know that when life hits you hard, the whole school is there to help get you through.

Very encouraging to hear. I really got the sense that the school is genuinely interested in the well being of its students. I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time but it's consoling to hear that you're being given assistance by the school.

Hello! For those of you who have been accepted, have you called Caroline to make sure your signed acceptance was received through mail? I don't think it shows up on the portal.

Hello! For those of you who have been accepted, have you called Caroline to make sure your signed acceptance was received through mail? I don't think it shows up on the portal.

I haven't, though it's not a bad idea.

How long did it take for y'all's ranking list to be updated on TMDSAS? My interview day was 11/18.

How long did it take for y'all's ranking list to be updated on TMDSAS? My interview day was 11/18.

I interviewed in August and it didn't become available per TMDSAS regulation until mid October.