University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how long has yours said that? ive had it for a few days now. a private number called me a week ago once but no voicemail and nothing since

Members don't see this ad.

My portal says "you have been invited to an interview" . But no email Yet....just an FYI. So I think invitations are coming....
how long has yours said that? ive had it for a few days now. a private number called me a week ago once but no voicemail and nothing since

You should really call just to be sure and the possibility of interviewing earlier. Caroline was emailing me as she was talking to me and then my portal changed. I never had the "interview" portal change until after the call.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long it took to receive a rejection last year?.... My portal says application is under review still and I'm wondering since they probably already reviewed my app if I had gotten a rejection the portal would have changed right?

The day I saw that I called the number on the portal. The lady told me that someone will call me to schedule the interview. Caroline called me two days later.

You should really call just to be sure and the possibility of interviewing earlier. Caroline was emailing me as she was talking to me and then my portal changed. I never had the "interview" portal change until after the call.
Yea I think I will call tomorrow. I sent an email two days ago and they said she would call.

is it normal for status to still say "this application is complete" rather than under review?

Did anyone else get an email about their Rural International clinic opportunities? I specifically asked about this during one of my interviews because I am studying Spanish for Texas practice and wanted Spanish immersion opportunities in a medical setting. It looks cool.

Did anyone else get an email about their Rural International clinic opportunities? I specifically asked about this during one of my interviews because I am studying Spanish for Texas practice and wanted Spanish immersion opportunities in a medical setting. It looks cool.
Got it today... I didn't apply rural track though

Got it today... I didn't apply rural track though
Yeah, me either. I only checked interested in Rural. I am just wanting to complete my Spanish training I guess.

https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-colleg...e/clinical-education/international-rotations/

From what I know, TCOM has an affiliated hospital in Malawi that is serviced by UNTHSC physicians. One TCOM faculty member/physician lives there year-long but several others rotate throughout the year to teach incoming third and fourth years during international month-long rotations. I'm pretty sure you can count this toward a core elective but I'm not completely sure - feel free to check up on this.

All the other rotations mentioned in the above link are with external organizations that do not have UNTHSC faculty members. They do count toward your elective rotations though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on International Clinic Opportunities.
https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-colleg...e/clinical-education/international-rotations/

From what I know, TCOM has an affiliated hospital in Malawi that is serviced by UNTHSC physicians. One TCOM faculty member/physician lives there year-long but several others rotate throughout the year to teach incoming third and fourth years during international month-long rotations. I'm pretty sure you can count this toward a core elective but I'm not completely sure - feel free to check up on this.

All the other rotations mentioned in the above link are with external organizations that do not have UNTHSC faculty members. They do count toward your elective rotations though.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know how long it took to receive a rejection last year?.... My portal says application is under review still and I'm wondering since they probably already reviewed my app if I had gotten a rejection the portal would have changed right?

I'm wondering this too, in the same boat

Got a call from Caroline today for a II! I missed her call and tried to call back, but she wasn't there. Does she call back on the weekends to schedule or will I have to wait until Monday?

LizzyM 68.7, submitted 08/08

Also, any tips from people who have gone to the interview already are very welcome!

Reactions: 1 users
Got a call from Caroline today for a II! I missed her call and tried to call back, but she wasn't there. Does she call back on the weekends to schedule or will I have to wait until Monday?

LizzyM 68.7, submitted 08/08

Also, any tips from people who have gone to the interview already are very welcome!

She called me on a Sunday morning, so yes, she is probably available over the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

8 more days until the pre-match! Hoping that I'll get that email at midnight on the 15th with some good news!

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to everyone waiting on the pre-match! And if you end up on the waitlist, just remember there's still plenty of time to be pulled off. Many of my classmates were pulled off in May-July.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm wondering this too, in the same boat
I just got done looking at last year's thread... First congrats @Megarooski on matching and being an overall awesome and positive person. Second, it seems that they sent out pre-matches in 3 batches(last year was Nov 15, around Nov 25 and around Dec 22). After the pre-match period ended, your portal status would change to "Application status offline pending the February 1, 2016 match results". Now people's statuses did change to the "Application has been reviewed" rejection prior to the pre-match period. However, it seemed to be mostly for OOS applicants. It didn't look like a lot of people were outright rejected but some did end up on the waitlist. I know this doesn't do much to make this wait any easier but that's what I found.

I just got done looking at last year's thread... First congrats @Megarooski on matching and being an overall awesome and positive person. Second, it seems that they sent out pre-matches in 3 batches(last year was Nov 15, around Nov 25 and around Dec 22). After the pre-match period ended, your portal status would change to "Application status offline pending the February 1, 2016 match results". Now people's statuses did change to the "Application has been reviewed" rejection prior to the pre-match period. However, it seemed to be mostly for OOS applicants. It didn't look like a lot of people were outright rejected but some did end up on the waitlist. I know this doesn't do much to make this wait any easier but that's what I found.

Dang, thanks for digging! Hopefully it'll be the same date this year! My deposit for ACOM is due Dec. 14th, so I'll save me some $$$ if I find out Nov 25.

Dang, thanks for digging! Hopefully it'll be the same date this year! My deposit for ACOM is due Dec. 14th, so I'll save me some $$$ if I find out Nov 25.
Those dates were for last year. I think the year before that had 1 batch around Nov 15 and two in December. By the way I saw your post in last year's thread while I was digging... What a difference a year makes... congratulations on your acceptance

How long does it take for your rank listing to show up on TMDSAS? I interviewed on 10/21 and TCOM is still not on there... Also, do you think I have a chance of pre-matching on 11/15 or would the second batch of pre-matches be more likely? Thank you!

How long does it take for your rank listing to show up on TMDSAS? I interviewed on 10/21 and TCOM is still not on there... Also, do you think I have a chance of pre-matching on 11/15 or would the second batch of pre-matches be more likely? Thank you!
To answer one question, it took about 2 weeks or less for the match option to appear on TMDSAS.

Yea I think I will call tomorrow. I sent an email two days ago and they said she would call.
let me know how it goes. I have the same thing on my portal! let's see....

any tips on how the Interview process is at UNT TCOM? one-on-one faculty interviews , more or less formal, or....

It's a one-on-one interview, both with faculty. One was formal, the other conversational, but I think that just depends on who your interviewer is.

It's a one-on-one interview, both with faculty. One was formal, the other conversational, but I think that just depends on who your interviewer is.

I wonder why the format is what it is. Why is one formal and one informal? I thought the interview was one, closed file interview with two interviewers.

let me know how it goes. I have the same thing on my portal! let's see....
they called me the next day. you should call bc i dont think they were planning on calling again until i called them

I wonder why the format is what it is. Why is one formal and one informal? I thought the interview was one, closed file interview with two interviewers.
The format is two separate interviews. Both one on one. It's not one formal and one informal, that was just the experience of the person that posted. It depends on who you get as your interviewers, and what their style/mood is. Both of mine happened to be very laid back and conversationa. Others on the same day said theirs were both stressful with ethical scenarios etc. It completely depends.

Good luck.

The format is two separate interviews. Both one on one. It's not one formal and one informal, that was just the experience of the person that posted. It depends on who you get as your interviewers, and what their style/mood is. Both of mine happened to be very laid back and conversationa. Others on the same day said theirs were both stressful with ethical scenarios etc. It completely depends.

Good luck.

Hmm, thanks. I'm going to definitely prepare more now.

can anyone tell me what interview dates they have left? is it every other tuesday that they host interviews??

can anyone tell me what interview dates they have left? is it every other tuesday that they host interviews??

I don't think we're going to know the answer to that question unless there are ADCOMs on this thread... You could call admissions and perhaps they would know.

I'm the last person to post here with an II and dates were 11/18 and sometime in December. There were only these two.

I asked Mr. Middleton about that at my interview in October, and he said they were basically doing every other Tuesday and every other Friday until early January (so Tuesday one week, Friday the next week, Tuesday the week after, etc.). I know they interview at TCOM until about mid-January, so there's still hope and opportunity :)

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think we're going to know the answer to that question unless there are ADCOMs on this thread... You could call admissions and perhaps they would know.

yes just in case anyone called and had a record. i called last month and then i forgot :O

Today was an II day so I didn't get hold of the II coordinator. Do you think they might still have spots for 11/18??

Today was an II day so I didn't get hold of the II coordinator. Do you think they might still have spots for 11/18??

I'm actually going on a campus tour with Caroline tomorrow. I wouldn't think they would have any spots for 11/18, but I'll ask for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Has TCOM appeared on TMDSAS's school preference list yet? If so, when did y'all interview?

Alright, just got a GREAT and comprehensive tour with Caroline H! There're actually two Carolines at UNT, and the other Caroline is the interview coordinator, not Caroline H. Caroline H. is super nice and gave me a 90 minute tour where I wasn't rushed at all. She'll be there on interview day too. I asked plenty of questions I didn't think she would even give an answer to. Anyone can schedule a tour if you email them. I got a tour of the facilities and then we sat down in one of the "interview room" where she answered concerns I had. I hope this will help current applicants and future applicants reading.

Facilities
Wow, the Medical Education & Training building is as new as can be! This is the building where we'll be on interview day. It has plenty of study rooms, five microwaves, no shower, and the view overlooking Fort Worth is great! It's also 24/7 if you have your ID badge. We saw students studying, practicing in the sim lab, and the huge OMM lab. The one con I have are the seats in the lecture hall. The seats have very little, no, ZERO padding, and needs to be redone. A hard stool in your science lab has more cushion than the seats.

What impressed me most was the Gibson D. Lewis library. There are so many private pods and loungelike couches to study. It's honestly the best library I've seen and I don't understand how big universities with 50k+ students like the one I attend can't have something similar. I wanted to take pictures of how cool the pods are! Outlets everywhere! It's also 24/7. You guys have to see it to see what I mean.

Interview Process
Alright, here's everything I know about the interview process. First of all, they don't have an algorithm that will weed out applicants once and for all. They will re-evaluate students even if you were passed for early interviews despite being complete early like I was. This is probably how late II work for people that were complete early. However, they're still receiving many applications for late MCAT takers AND they're still evaluating them. This probably explains why the turnaround is so quick for people who are complete much later than you, but are very competitive.

Ok, so interviews are TWO 30 minutes, one-on-one interview with some sort of doctorate faculty members. Their job is to make comments about you, ask pertinent questions, and to get to know your personality. They are not meant to be stressful, but there are personalities that the committee are aware of. For example, surgeons interviewing you will get straight to the point and might not beat around the bush. The interview should last 30 minutes, but depends on how conversational, could go on for 40+ minutes!

What is surprising is that the interviewers will not be on the committee of 3-7+ people who will be reviewing your application. The committee members will evaluate your raw numbers (cognitive stuff), everything else including your interview results (non-cognitive), and then assign you a score of 0-10: 5 max for cognitive abilities and 5 for non-cognitive abilities. Caroline says it's rare for people to be outright rejected post interview, but your GPA/MCAT can still hinder you despite an awesome interview. Obviously though, glowing comments by the interviewers will be looked on favorably by the committee making the decision. The committee will each submit their numbers and some math are involved where they'll find an average. With a committee, it will be less biased for an applicant. Depends on your ranking, you'll be in the waitlist, rejection, or acceptance pile. Apparently you can get an overall score of 3-4/10 and still be on the waitlist, but you'll probably never leave it. The dean will get final approval for students who are accepted, so he has the ability to reverse decisions.

I was curious about how many people actually pre-match, but it's different from year to year. Caroline says it's rare that they pre-match more than half the class, so there is hope for people in February. Also, with such a huge class size, she states they like to send out pre-match acceptances November 16th instead of that first day. Also, they're giving out less acceptances this year in the range of 6XX, with over 3k+ applicants already. The school also knows where you have pre-matched and that can be taken into consideration. If you're on the waitlist, expect movement in April and beyond.

The school will be moving to an MMI based interview next year. Apparently, someone is/has flying to Michigan to study how a school there does this. I am excited about this, because I think an MMI interview will give an applicant a more comprehensive interview.

Interview Day
I don't have much on this since the other Caroline will be giving us information. I know depending on who's interviewing you, your day can end as early as 2pm or as late as 5:30pm.

Ok, that's all I can think of on the top of my head, but it was a great tour! I really didn't think she'll spend that much time talking and answering questions. I thought it would be a quick 20 minutes of "here's this building" etc etc. Some of this information will be given to you on interview day, but I highly get a personal tour like this one if you're in the area or traveling through!

Reactions: 4 users
"The school also knows where you have pre-matched and that can be taken into consideration." Wait what? I thought schools didn't know what other schools were doing. So let's say that you want to go to this school but they see that you have other offers, they won't send out a pre-match offer or accept you?

Also, when you say it's rare that they pre-match half the class that doesn't indicate how many offers they send. Did she mention any approximate number of pre-matches that they sent out?

"The school also knows where you have pre-matched and that can be taken into consideration." Wait what? I thought schools didn't know what other schools were doing. So let's say that you want to go to this school but they see that you have other offers, they won't send out a pre-match offer or accept you?

She didn't state that last part, but yes, school knows! Perhaps there is some pity for those who only interviews at TCOM, aka me! We can only extrapolate. I didn't probe more because I only have one interview in Texas lol.

She didn't state that last part, but yes, school knows! Perhaps there is some pity for those who only interviews at TCOM, aka me! We can only extrapolate. I didn't probe more because I only have one interview in Texas lol.
The view from the library rooftop overlooking the cultural district was great. I felt a happy vibe while there. I hope we both make it.
The library was very active when I was there on interview day. It had a community atmosphere. I can see myself spending a few hours a week studying there and taking breaks on the patio roof looking out into Fort Worth.

The view from the library rooftop overlooking the cultural district was great. I felt a happy vibe while there. I hope we both make it.
The library was very active when I was there on interview day. It had a community atmosphere. I can see myself spending a few hours a week studying there and taking breaks on the patio roof looking out into Fort Worth.

Likewise. The entire atmosphere about that school is so welcoming. Hoping to see you all there in August.

Hello all! I just had a quick question that may or may not have been asked on this thread already. Does anyone know how TCOM handles multiple MCATs? Do they put most weight on the most recent score or average all scores? Thanks!

What is the rejected term on the portal? Application "reviewed" or "received"