University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Their website says they have closed-file interviews. Can anyone confirm?
I don't know what their definition of closed file is, but they at least had my essays on hand with both interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The interviews are semi-closed file. They have everything on your app except for grades and MCAT.

First II!!!!! So excited!!! But damnn SDN... when I saw Unknown Number and the lady said her name was Caroline, I knew what the call was about but I had to be like oh you're calling from TCOM? lol I'm so excited, cause I really like this school

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First II!!!!! So excited!!! But damnn SDN... when I saw Unknown Number and the lady said her name was Caroline, I knew what the call was about but I had to be like oh you're calling from TCOM? lol I'm so excited, cause I really like this school

Yay congrats!! When's your interview?

Hey so I'm having trouble finding an answer to this on TCOM and TMDSAS' websites, so maybe yall can help answer my question...

So DO schools do not count Math classes (such as algebra) as a part of science GPA, does TCOM do this as well or since they use TMDSAS do they use those guidelines and go by the standard BCPM sGPA??
Also, I know DO schools do grade replacement, but TCOM does not, I assume because they use TMDSAS?

Hey guys for those of you who already had their interviews, TCOM doesn't have social the night before, right?
Just wanted to confirm since I didn't get any email/ information regarding that.

Hey guys for those of you who already had their interviews, TCOM doesn't have social the night before, right?
Just wanted to confirm since I didn't get any email/ information regarding that.
They don't

II! Holy crap it's my first one and I'm so excited! My app was transmitted to schools 8/4 and secondary submitted 8/11 so I am shocked to have heard back from them so quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey how have y'all been preparing for the interviews? I've looked over the interview feedback and was wondering how some of y'all were practicing

Members don't see this ad :)
Just realized that I forgot to send thank you emails to my interviewers :eek: If I interviewed here 2 weeks ago would it be too late to send them?

Just realized that I forgot to send thank you emails to my interviewers :eek: If I interviewed here 2 weeks ago would it be too late to send them?

They might have already reviewed your file. Wouldn't be worth it at this point.

They might have already reviewed your file. Wouldn't be worth it at this point.

@iforget2 its worth it if you truly want to give them thanks if you had an amazing interview experience! Honestly I don't think thank you notes make a big difference because they evaluate you usually hours after or a day or two after, but I still send them because I truly appreciate my interviewers taking time out of their schedule to interview me.

In state and post interview a few other unt undergrads have also been rejected this week.

In state and post interview a few other unt undergrads have also been rejected this week.
Oh gosh...this is one of my dream schools, I hope I don't hear any bad news soon. On another note, I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your app cycle! Thank you for updating us on your TCOM status!

Wait.... did you interview this cycle or last cycle? Also, was it by email?

Wait.... did you interview this cycle or last cycle? Also, was it by email?

Also when did you interview? Sorry to hear, just curious as I am new to SDN and interested in this school.

Last edited:
Also, another random question, but does anyone know when we are supposed to be able to rank schools? I know it's super early, but I'm just wondering if anyone who has interviewed has had their TMDSAS updated to rank schools interviewed at.

Also, another random question, but does anyone know when we are supposed to be able to rank schools? I know it's super early, but I'm just wondering if anyone who has interviewed has had their TMDSAS updated to rank schools interviewed at.

I don't see anything on TMDSAS yet. I'm guessing we will see something after they release the first prematches.

Appreciation letters will certainly be welcomed. They don't impact your score for sure though. Here is how applicants are graded (from their website):

"Committee Evaluation of Applicants
Committee scores are assigned to each application that is Acceptable or placed on an Alternate list. This score is used to rank applicants for admission. Because this score affects the ultimate status of the applicant, careful consideration must be given to each applicant when assigning a score.

The score is derived by assessing both the cognitive and non-cognitive values of the applicant. Committee members will submit an individual score for each applicant at the meeting. The applicant’s score is the mean among those members who scored the application. Applicants accepted by the committee will be submitted to the Dean for final approval. Applicants approved by the Dean will be placed on the Texas Medical School Admissions Match List in rank order based on the Admissions Committee’s score. Scores range from 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest (Cognitive values: 5; Non-cognitive values: 5). Decimal values may be given."

From what I know, interviewers do not have the power to assign these rankings but DO have the power to remove you from further consideration by the adcom. This happens rarely but they might be filtering out more applicants this way this cycle.

The remaining applications are sent to the committee for final review and to be ranked. I interviewed last year late October and didn't have my application ranked till late Dec, which is when I received an offer.

Best of luck to all who've heard back prematurely! Be confident in your application and have faith that other schools will send you some love, I'm sure it will all work out!

I am pretty sure that no texas school can reject or accept someone until Nov 15, this is what I have been told at II...so I dont know if that is true that he was rejected

I am pretty sure that no texas school can reject or accept someone until Nov 15, this is what I have been told at II...so I dont know if that is true that he was rejected
Exactly what I thought

Sorry bud, you're misinformed. The in-state trafficking rules only apply to acceptances.

I've been through the process and know several who got the axe days after interviewing.

However, odds are you'll be waitlisted or accepted, at least at TCOM, and the good news is that once you get an interview, if all goes well you have more than a 50% chance of getting in.

I don't know if the person who said they were rejected already is telling the truth- in some posts they say they submitted back in June, but in the what are my chances thread they mentioned not knowing where to apply and submitting apps as late as Sunday, and they list their LizzyM as 70.5 but 68 here. Don't get discouraged by a troll post!

II today! Secondary submitted 7/11. TMDSAS transmitted 7/19. Lizzy ~72. OOS.

Also, is anyone else having trouble logging into their portal? I've never been able to log in so I was never able to see my status change on there.

Reactions: 2 users
II today! Secondary submitted 7/11. TMDSAS transmitted 7/19. Lizzy ~72. OOS.

Also, is anyone else having trouble logging into their portal? I've never been able to log in so I was never able to see my status change on there.
Congrats! I'm a first year at TCOM and I can tell you that the my.unthsc system is pretty finicky. There were lots of times where I couldn't even login so don't worry about it too much. Luckily if you get in you don't have to use that website very often.

"Your application is under review."

And so the wait begins....

is there a secondary for UNT DO School? Is it by invite only?

"Your application is under review."

And so the wait begins....

Where was this written? In the portal? I hope they interview late :*(.

*edit: Ahh, probably in portal. I'm still "complete." I'm reading last year's thread to hopefully make me feel better.

Last edited:
Where was this written? In the portal? I hope they interview late :*(.

*edit: Ahh, probably in portal. I'm still "complete." I'm reading last year's thread to hopefully make me feel better.

Yes... hoping to avoid the "silent rejection"

Yes... hoping to avoid the "silent rejection"

Apparently from last year's thread, this is the seal of death here.

"Your application has been reviewed
Application complete"

Some people got rejection letters through snail mail. There wasn't much information on when IIs were handed out that I could find.

II!!!! From Texas but TMDAS calls me OOS.

Submitted primary 8/3. Submitted UNT 9/12

What's the area code that called you? Also, stats if you don't mind?

I got an unknown caller.

According to TMDAS (bc i used AMCAS as well) uGPA: 3.84, sGPA 3.71
505, 502 and a score soon to be released.

I got an unknown caller.

According to TMDAS (bc i used AMCAS as well) uGPA: 3.84, sGPA 3.71
505, 502 and a score soon to be released.

Nice, much higher than me in the GPA department. I only ask because it's a fast turn around for you and some of us are anxious. I got a call from Maryland yesterday and missed it, just wondering if it was TMDSAS lol.

Nice, much higher than me in the GPA department. I only ask because it's a fast turn around for you and some of us are anxious. I got a call from Maryland yesterday and missed it, just wondering if it was TMDSAS lol.
I think the area code would be 817. The phone number on their admissions website is also 817.

I think the area code would be 817. The phone number on their admissions website is also 817.

Yeah, same as my area code. It'll be disheartening if I don't get an interview :(.

I know I'm a little late here, but you can get rejected from a TX school before November 15. This rule applies to acceptances only. I know a lot of you are worried, but for now, no news post intervew is good news. Keep your heads up! All you can do now is wait.

Also, @popopopop don't fret much. I was complete at TCOM early on last cycle, interviewed in December, and I ended up matching. I also know people in my class that matched after interviewing in January, so you still have a while before you should start worrying. TCOM has a fairly long interview season.

Reactions: 1 users