Wayne State University vs. Rosalind Franklin CMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lydiayujia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL,
I am a Canadian student who are accepted by medical school at both Wayne State University and Rosalind Franklin University this year. Not considering the tuition fee for international student, which school would you choose to go based on student experience, rotation, reputation, match list, etc?
I am having a hard time deciding between the two schools. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

You might have an easier time getting replies if the mods (@mmmcdowe , @Ismet ?) move this to school-specific discussions.

Best of luck with your decision!

Edit: FWIW, I applied to Rosalind Franklin but didn't get an interview, whereas I interviewed and am on the wait list at Wayne. I only have fantastic things to say about Wayne, but then again I am biased and probably not the best one to comment!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the exact same situation as the OP and would like to hear some opinions on this also ! :)

Hi ALL,
I am a Canadian student who are accepted by medical school at both Wayne State University and Rosalind Franklin University this year. Not considering the tuition fee for international student, which school would you choose to go based on student experience, rotation, reputation, match list, etc?
I am having a hard time deciding between the two schools. Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Can I ask why Tuition is not important?
Rosalind franklin is $50k per year whereas wayne state is $64k per year.
if you add it up, you would be paying $60k more for the 4 years.

Last edited:
I'd just say Rosalind Franklin because its in Chicago, but Wayne State is higher on the rankings so I'm split now.

My aunt is a preceptor at a hospital in Chicago. She says the students from Rosalind Franklin are consistently the least prepared for their rotations compared to all the schools she gets students from. Just one person's opinion, but Wayne State has a much better reputation in general.

Plus, Detroit is a very Canadian-friendly place: they even sing both anthems at the Redwings games.

I'm a little biased, as I've chosen Wayne State, but the following were things I considered:

1) Rosalind Franklin was recently placed on probation by the LCME (body that licenses medical schools). This doesn't mean the school can't or won't get through these troubles. However, I viewed this as the administration being unresponsive to problems both the students and LCME pointed out to the school over a period of years. I wanted my medical school to do more than meet the bare standards of accreditation.

2) The location of the medical school's campus is 45 minutes away from the clinical campuses. This means you would have to pick up and move second year. It also means you have less interaction with those clinical campuses over your first two years for research, shadowing, and patient interaction.

3) Research. NIH research grants to Rosalind Franklin are $5 million per year. NIH grants to Wayne run over $70 million per year. And Wayne is building a new research facility next to Henry Ford, able to house 500 researchers and staff. I did not think RFUMS took research nearly as seriously.
http://www.freep.com/article/201403...ity-Multipurpose-Biomedical-Research-Building

4) I'd rather be in a city than in the 'burbs.

My aunt is a preceptor at a hospital in Chicago. She says the students from Rosalind Franklin are consistently the least prepared for their rotations compared to all the schools she gets students from. Just one person's opinion, but Wayne State has a much better reputation in general.

Plus, Detroit is a very Canadian-friendly place: they even sing both anthems at the Redwings games.

Can you elaborate on why she thinks they are the least prepared?