Western Michigan University School of Medicine or University of Minnesota Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainTwiddler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would really appreciate some thoughts on pros and cons of either school. I really enjoyed my interview day at WMed and I really appreciate the small class size. I also think as part of the inaugural class we will all receive individual attention, which is really good. Thus far, they have also been very nice and responsive. However, it is a new school so I know there is some caution to be taken. And, of course, there is the private loans situation.

On the other hand, the U of MN is a really good and well established school. My only problem with them is they do not seem to give very much attention to their students. I have a feeling I will simply be a number lost in the school. I did not really enjoy my interview day especially because I did not feel they gave very much information about the program. Lastly, I have a hard time getting a hold of them; they are not very responsive to emails and do not seem to answer the phone. I am worried about what this may be foreshadowing.

My main concern is going to WMed and regretting it because I end up having trouble getting into any residency program I want to attend. I just do not know how much of a disadvantage it is to go to a new school. I know the U of MN name will assist in getting into competitive programs.

Thank you for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I don't really know anything about either school.

What's the difference in cost? Are you a MI or MN resident? Is one significantly cheaper than the other?

Were you able to attend second look at U MN? Or can you set up an unofficial revisit? I feel like that would be the best way to really tell if the school is a good fit. Sometimes people just have an off day during the interview.

Personally, I would rather go to U MN because it's a well established and bigger program. What you really need is to talk to current U MN students and ask them how they feel. Hopefully some will chime in or you can post in the school specific thread. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with U MN as well. W Med might have an edge if you want to end up practicing in Michigan area, but other than that, I would go for U MN especially if you are thinking of competitive programs. Many low- and mid-tier schools, it seems, have some responsive professors and some unresponsive ones, so that does not sound too surprising. Ask any current students at U MN and seek for their advice on research, classes, and competitive programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would rather go to U MN because it's a well established and bigger program.

I would go with U MN as well. W Med might have an edge if you want to end up practicing in Michigan area, but other than that, I would go for U MN especially if you are thinking of competitive programs.

I agree with Oso and Lya. Personally I'm not sure if I would want to deal with the added stress of going to a new school. There are a lot of uncertainties: will the school get accreditation, will I be able to get into the residency program I want to, will I be able to find research (if that's something you want to do.) U of MN would have more opportunities, more funding, better research, and probably better teachers. The faculty and staff know what they're doing, work well together, and could direct you in the right direction of what ever you want/need. At Western, you may need to search out opportunities on your own.

I just did a quick look through the schools. It looks like at Western Michigan, you wouldn't take Step 1 till after your third year, which is a little strange. It may or may not makes things harder for you when you're applying for residencies, not to mention I'm not sure it would be easy finding time to study during year 3.

Assuming they cost about the about the same, U of MN will let you qualify for federal loans, while you can only get private for Western, at least for the first two years.

This is just my take on the schools, but they're just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I agree with Oso and Lya. Personally I'm not sure if I would want to deal with the added stress of going to a new school. There are a lot of uncertainties: will the school get accreditation, will I be able to get into the residency program I want to, will I be able to find research (if that's something you want to do.) U of MN would have more opportunities, more funding, better research, and probably better teachers. The faculty and staff know what they're doing, work well together, and could direct you in the right direction of what ever you want/need. At Western, you may need to search out opportunities on your own.

I just did a quick look through the schools. It looks like at Western Michigan, you wouldn't take Step 1 till after your third year, which is a little strange. It may or may not makes things harder for you when you're applying for residencies, not to mention I'm not sure it would be easy finding time to study during year 3.

Assuming they cost about the about the same, U of MN will let you qualify for federal loans, while you can only get private for Western, at least for the first two years.

This is just my take on the schools, but they're just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

Thank you so much for all your input everyone! I really appreciate it!

Cost wise, WMed is slightly cheaper because of my scholarship, but the scholarship they give is only for the first year and you have to reapply every year to get another one. This concerns me just a little bit because then the other years might end up being much more expensive than UMN.

I am a MN resident and I do not really have any preference as to where I end up practicing (that's a bit too far into the future for me). I really appreciate the advice on asking current UMN students. I am going to do that and see what I find out. I think that may help my decision a lot.

As for research, I am not really into research, but I have been told it is important to get into competitive specialties so I assume I will end up doing it to ensure all my options are open when it is time to decide on a specialty. The Step 1 timing is very strange; apparently, the Step 1 is becoming more clinical so taking it after 3rd year is supposed to help.

Thank you so much for all your input everyone! I really appreciate it!

Cost wise, WMed is slightly cheaper because of my scholarship, but the scholarship they give is only for the first year and you have to reapply every year to get another one. This concerns me just a little bit because then the other years might end up being much more expensive than UMN.

I am a MN resident and I do not really have any preference as to where I end up practicing (that's a bit too far into the future for me). I really appreciate the advice on asking current UMN students. I am going to do that and see what I find out. I think that may help my decision a lot.

As for research, I am not really into research, but I have been told it is important to get into competitive specialties so I assume I will end up doing it to ensure all my options are open when it is time to decide on a specialty. The Step 1 timing is very strange; apparently, the Step 1 is becoming more clinical so taking it after 3rd year is supposed to help.

Unless you actually dislike UMN and think you would be unhappy there, I think all other signs point to going there. There's no guarantee of a continued scholarship at Western Mich, it's probably a safer bet for residency, it probably has more opportunities and research, big academic hospital, and you know it's an established curriculum with experienced teachers. I think these are things you should consider. But your happiness also needs to be a factor. Definitely reach out and talk to some UMN students to get a better feel for the school.

UMN is likely the better choice. The admissions office is not representative of the school. Also, I'm sure there are good and bad professors at both institutions with regards to how much attention they give to their students. Med school requires a lot of independent drive, so you will have to work hard wherever you go, but UMN will offer you bigger opportunities. They have a good reputation among residency directors, so they must be doing something right!

Go with your gut

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your input, advice, and help! I really appreciate it! I received some input on UMN from a current student and it does seem like all signs point to UMN. I just thought I would enjoy the WMed vibe a little more.