2011-2012 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E-mail sent timestamp: 8:53pm
E-mail received timestamp: 8:55pm (no, this does not mean the time I saw the e-mail)
Interviewed mid-October.

Thanks for your help! There are many other greats schools in the sea

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your help! There are many other greats schools in the sea
Based on comments from last year, it seems that waitlists and acceptances were done simultaneously. How did you determine that rejections, waitlists, and acceptances were given sequentially?

Sorry dude. I guess its following last years patterns of rejections, waitlists, then acceptances.

Based on comments from last year, it seems that waitlists and acceptances were done simultaneously. How did you determine that rejections, waitlists, and acceptances were given sequentially?

Members don't see this ad :)
My mistake, you are right - rejections, then waitlist and acceptance together. I misremembered

Ah waitlisted. I'm pulling for Sinai though! The start of the email was a bit misleading lol.

We are pleased to inform you that you have been placed on the Alternate list for Mount Sinai School of Medicine's class entering August 2012.

Acceptance letters are out.. or at least I have mine. Best of luck to you all!!!

Waitlisted : / Does anyone know how much movement they usually have on their waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/3, have not heard anything yet either way. Has anyone who interviewed 11/3 or later gotten their decision?

Interviewed 11/3, have not heard anything yet either way. Has anyone who interviewed 11/3 or later gotten their decision?

I interviewed on 11/2 and haven't received anything yet! Ahhh I really loved this school :xf::love:

a note on interviews:
sinai does 4 interview categories: interview immediately, interview early, interview late, do not interview.

a note on interviews:
sinai does 4 interview categories: interview immediately, interview early, interview late, do not interview.

Really? That explains the extreme difference in interview dates from a friend of mine who got his II the same day! I wonder what that means?

Really? That explains the extreme difference in interview dates from a friend of mine who got his II the same day! I wonder what that means?

hmm i guess that makes sense. same thing with me and my friend

hmm i guess that makes sense. same thing with me and my friend

Invite -> interview (MD apps #)
10/5 -> 11/2 (23849)
9/28 -> 11/2 (24156)
9/26 -> future (22952)
9/28 -> 11/15 (20252)

I can't tell a pattern. How soon is 'immediate'?

10/5 -> 11/2 (23849)
9/28 -> 11/2 (24156)
9/26 -> future (22952)
9/28 -> 11/15 (20252)

Also I was originally invited to go 10/20 but I rescheduled for about two weeks earlier, so...

10/5 -> 11/2 (23849)
9/28 -> 11/2 (24156)
9/26 -> future (22952)
9/28 -> 11/15 (20252)

my friend and I both got invited on the same day in mid august. her interview date was for sept i believe and mine was for oct

10/5 -> 11/2 (23849)
9/28 -> 11/2 (24156)
9/26 -> future (22952)
9/28 -> 11/15 (20252)

I got the invite in July/August I believe - immediate means they offered you an interview as soon as they started, assuming early submission.

10/5 -> 11/2 (23849)
9/28 -> 11/2 (24156)
9/26 -> future (22952)
9/28 -> 11/15 (20252)

I don't know if this helps, but I was complete on 9/27, received an II on 10/5 for 11/2

Can any current student chime in to what daily life is like? What do you like, what don't you like?

This is info I got from Doodl3s about Mt. Sinai!

So, unless you were accepted to one of the other Top 10 schools in medicine that you also like a lot, Sinai is pretty much where you want to go.

First year is not terribly hard, just time consuming, but thats for all med schools. And they all get both hard and time consuming 2nd year on lol. We have mostly lectures at Sinai, with small groups for each class that each meet once a week. Lecture schedule can be anywhere from 8am to 4pm or 10am to 2pm... Fridays you have either off or only class from 10am-12pm (note: i'm only a first year nearing the end of first semester)

The life is great. You're in NYC. I have time to play BF3 on my PC, workout, and go out on the weekends. Last night we played beer pong to raise money for HIV... other weeks we all go to the east village or lower east side.

YOU can TAKE EXAMS WHENEVER, WHEREVER you want from thursday to sunday...
-if you're not ready, study until sunday, if you want it out of the way, take thursday. IF YOU're going to be away at a conference, or going across the country to your parents.. TAKE IT AT HOME! :)

MD/MPH i dont know too much about. That and Portal (which is MD/MCR) pick up after 1st year. they do have an extra class thrown in, i think at night.

That research I got in october has been halted a bit due to having exams every weekend. Its just an issue of me making more time for the research. I got it by e-mailing a chief surgeon here because I had an interest and personal experience with his field. Met up with him casually to talk and he liked me and referred me to who was handling the dept's research. ITS THAT EASY....

Doctors, even chiefs, will let you shadow whenever you want, the next day even (altho you realize that its tough to find a weekday that you'll actually not mind taking the entire day off) BUT if you DO decide to take the day off, ALL THE LECTURES ARE RECORDED. the only required classes you have to go to are the small groups.

quick addendum when I said "UNLESS you were accepted to other top 10"

I'm not at all saying those other top 10 schools are better. Cause IMO, they're absolutely not. I meant to emphasize that you should only pick such a ranked school if you LIKED THEM A LOT too.

If you like Sinai over say, UCLA or UWash, choose Sinai. The quality of life is here is amazing compared to other schools. The teachers love you, the students love each other, the doctors love you, and will see you for whatever reasons on short notice and of course let you shadow. and you're in the best location in NYC, next to the 6 line and central park. (nobody realizes how big of a deal being next door to central park is, until you're there... studying, running, football, relaxing, biking, hangin' with friends, going for a walk...)

I chose sinai over cornell, but that rank difference is pretty much gone. point is, dont go for rank at all. not worth destroying 4 years of your life in a time that SHOULD be FUN as it is challenging. People often make the mistake of thinking med school is the end of their social life, dating life, etc... if it is, you're doing it wrong! (it's fun when you hear the chiefs of different departments tell the stories of 'back in their day' when they had quite a bit of fun in med school lol)

a note on interviews:
The interview categories are not necessarily an indication of when your interview is actually scheduled for, it is for if/when you receive the invitation. Do not assume if you got an interview invite in August but were scheduled for November that you weren't in the top interview categories. People are scheduled spaced out to allow for people to change dates if necessary. Therefore, if you and a friend both got an interview invite on the same day, you may have both been in the top interview category but scheduled month or two apart just to allow for more flexibility in scheduling. Be a little wary of taking anything posted on these sites at face value because it doesn't necessarily represent a complete understanding of the process. No need for unnecessary panic or feeling badly about yourself and your application...if you got an invitation to interview, it was because the school really wanted to meet you and wants you as a possible member of the next class. Don't read too much into the dates of everything (i.e. when submitted, invited, scheduled, etc). There are a lot of other variables involved. Best of luck everyone.

The interview categories are not necessarily an indication of when your interview is actually scheduled for, it is for if/when you receive the invitation.

That makes sense. My gf got an invite within three days ("immediate"). I waited a month and a half ("early"). This is in line with the fact that she's gotten more interview invites and acceptances overall than I have. Her interviewer said she's so strong the committee probably wouldn't even bother to discuss it. >_>

Just got an II tonight! I had already given up hope since I was complete in July, but I guess you really never know. Keep the faith!

Alternate list...

Last edited:
There's really no reason not to accept a place on the waitlist. I see from MDApplicants that this is your first not-acceptance. Don't let it get you down, even if it seemed like a great fit -you've been interviewing at some great places, and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Has anyone who interviewed in the first week of November heard back yet? I hope they give us a decision before Thanksgiving! :xf:

Has anyone who interviewed in the first week of November heard back yet? I hope they give us a decision before Thanksgiving! :xf:

I interviewed on Nov 2nd and haven't heard back yet.. So hopefully we'll know sometime today or tomorrow!

Congrats! Gives the rest of us still waiting hope. Do you know when they're scheduling into?

Good luck!!

Just got an II tonight! I had already given up hope since I was complete in July, but I guess you really never know. Keep the faith!

Just interviewed at Sinai a couple of days ago. Jessica said we would find out mid-january. Hopefully you guys (who interviewed early november) find out soon!

So, fellow Nov. 2 interviewers, what do you think is the verdict? I have a feeling if we don't find out by this evening, we may not hear anything until January.
Only a little frustrating having waited each day patiently and eagerly.

So, fellow Nov. 2 interviewers, what do you think is the verdict? I have a feeling if we don't find out by this evening, we may not hear anything until January.
Only a little frustrating having waited each day patiently and eagerly.

I agree with that assessment. Just means that when the adcom meets in January, the members will have to work overtime to clear the backlog. Kinda disappointing, but at least the holidays are coming up! January will be here before we know it.

still waiting for interview invite...complete early september.. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.