2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Did you go on to college directly after high school? If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)

Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit)

LOR REQUIREMENT

All applicants must submit a minimum of either one (1) committee letter or three (3) individual letters of recommendation, two (2) of which must be from science professors based on the following criteria:
Letters Criteria: Applicants who attend or who have recently graduated from an undergraduate institution or a post baccalaureate premedical program which offers a Health Professions Advisor or Advisory Committee letter, should have this letter submitted to AMCAS. If no such institutional letter is available, the applicant should explain this below and have a minimum of three individual letters, including two (2) from science professors, sent to AMCAS. Students who are enrolled in graduate programs are asked to submit at least one letter from their thesis advisor, counter-signed by the Chair of the Department in which they are concentrating.
Additional letters of recommendation you believe will add substantive new information to your portfolio should also be sent to AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i recently visited BU and it is quite an amazing place. the secondary will be available here. good luck, y'all!

What did you like best about BU? This again falls under the i have no idea about the school but applied :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you like best about BU? This again falls under the i have no idea about the school but applied :smuggrin:

it's harder to think of what i didn't like! i got to sit in on a discussion section (all about kidneys that day) and i was fascinated... the prof was challenging in a totally fun and funny way, and all the people seemed great. it also has the type of urban hospital i'm looking for-- serving the underserved, etc. ya know. :)

except for all the craigslist murderers... lol

First of all, BUSM is huge on community service. It's located in a poorer area of Boston where community-oriented programs make a big difference for the local population. BU medical students have a unique opportunity to get involved with programs for the underserved, community health programs, etc.

Secondly, BUSM just built a brand-new center for infectious disease research. It is the biggest one in Boston. It handles the ebola virus, HIV, HBV and HCV, and West Nile virus. If global health, infectious disease, or epidemic control is your cup of tea - it's an excellent place to get started.

There are probably more good things to like about BU, but these are the two that I could think of that could help you write your essay.

Secondly, BUSM just built a brand-new center for infectious disease research. It is the biggest one in Boston. It handles the ebola virus, HIV, HBV and HCV, and West Nile virus. If global health, infectious disease, or epidemic control is your cup of tea - it's an excellent place to get started.

Wow!!:eek: A facility like this may be one of the very few in the world. I believe there are only 20-25 research centers in the world that deal with human infectious diseases.

yea the NIEDL, they talked about it in the MD/PhD interviews, but seems like it keeps getting delayed and ****

So does Boston get similar number of applicants as Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I get accepted to both, it will be a tough choice. I will be so happy to have that dilemma.:D

If I get accepted to both, it will be a tough choice. I will be so happy to have that dilemma.:D

That should be an easy choice, because Georgetown is religious, and Boston isn't.
It would be hard to learn about medicine with people telling you that evolution didn't happen

That should be an easy choice, because Georgetown is religious, and Boston isn't.
It would be hard to learn about medicine with people telling you that evolution didn't happen
:thumbdown:eyebrow: Read G. Towns Thread to clear up your misconceptions.

:bang:.

Little bit more about BU:
first 2 years are P/F
I heard they're really strong on the clinical learning because their main hospital takes anyone regardless of their ability to pay (their motto is exceptional service without exception), so you get to see a lot of diverse cases.

Little bit more about BU:
first 2 years are P/F
I heard they're really strong on the clinical learning because their main hospital takes anyone regardless of their ability to pay (their motto is exceptional service without exception), so you get to see a lot of diverse cases.

P/F? That is excellent news.

boston is sounding more and more attractive...to bad itll be impossible to stand out with 11k others :(

i would say BU/BMC is pretty high up on everything, clinical, research, public health, tuition bills...

I think they are in a better financial situation than Tufts because of their patient population (which, as the above poster said is "diverse")

diversity in the city of Boston is eghh, though. not a really big city or an immigrant hub. something like 1/3+ of the city's population are students. i remember they said cost of living is pretty high, if not amongst the highest in the country (since NYC schools have sub. housing)

their facilities were coo.

again, the best were the type of student body/faculty. they seemed to enjoy their beer :)

And it's city of Boston. It's double plus.:thumbup:

boston is sounding more and more attractive...to bad itll be impossible to stand out with 11k others :(

BU gives you a single interview to present yourself. This places somewhat more pressure on you to perform well on that one interview, but gives you an opportunity to stand out. The school offers you "take two" - an opportunity to repeat your interview in case your first one went bad.

If you have a relative at BU, in graduate school or an alum, I would mention so in the comment section.

They do believe in evolution at BU, and they certainly do so in Boston. I love my hometown!!!! :D

BU gives you a single interview to present yourself. This places somewhat more pressure on you to perform well on that one interview, but gives you an opportunity to stand out. The school offers you "take two" - an opportunity to repeat your interview in case your first one went bad.

If you have a relative at BU, in graduate school or an alum, I would mention so in the comment section.

They do believe in evolution at BU, and they certainly do so in Boston. I love my hometown!!!! :D

I didnt mean i wasnt going to try just with the few 10K+ applicant schools there are, I think its gotta be really hard to stand out and get in. Id still love boston, the price tag scares me but o well, most non-state schools do lol. I dont have a relative but if they really are interested in those who want to work in underserved or poor areas...they will like me at least...i hope:)

Hi all,

does anyone know whether BU's waiting list is moving at all this year? thanks!

Hi all,

check out the 08-09 thread. this thread is for people applying now, so you're not likely to find the answer to that here.

Hi all,

This is what I heard from Robert Witzburg, the associate dean of admissions at BU on the topic.

BU sends out two waves of acceptances. First goes out in the first week of January. It goes to their most wanted students. It accounts for less than a third of total admissions. Then they wait to see how many will respond. Armed with this knowledge, they send out another wave of acceptances in March. Most of their class is selected from this second wave of acceptances. This way they insure they do not have to rely on the waiting list to fill in any gaps in their incoming class.

Dr. Witzburg specifically said that he does his best not to place students on the waiting list. The list is short and slow-moving. This is not to suggest there is no waiting list. There certainly is one. If you get on it, it's not a definite no-go.

I posted feedback on my experience with the applying to medical schools last year. I also posted a number of questions for interview practice. I hope peole find this resource helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions! http://harvardmedgirl.blogspot.com/

Some coworkers and I went to the Extreme Beerfest this past February and had a blast. Such a fun city. I've never eaten at so many great restaurants so many nights in a row.

In addition, their med school looks amazing. *Crossing my fingers for an interview*

I posted feedback on my experience with the applying to medical schools last year. I also posted a number of questions for interview practice. I hope peole find this resource helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions! http://harvardmedgirl.blogspot.com/
Thanks! When interviews roll around ill defiantly bother you lol :p

I had one question though...last years secondary had only optional prompts...is it truly ok to put nothing in them? One was like "do you have anything extra to say" and the other was something about learning experiences outside of the US or talents in arts sports or music. I have none of those...but i dont want ot get screened out for writing nothing.

BU: 10738
Georgetown: 11237

08-09 first year class data

At something like 100 bucks a pop. 100 dollar secondary for about a 1% matriculation opportunity, you've been had.

I had one question though...last years secondary had only optional prompts...is it truly ok to put nothing in them? One was like "do you have anything extra to say" and the other was something about learning experiences outside of the US or talents in arts sports or music. I have none of those...but i dont want ot get screened out for writing nothing.

It is absolutely OK not to put anything in the "optional" section. If your school had weird grading system, or weird anything - that would be the place to address it. Otherwise leave blank.

I can't imagine them screening out anyone for not filling out the optional essays. There must be other reasons for screening people out. And my friend told me he got accepted at another school even when he forgot to fill out a non-optional essay. =]

Prompts

Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. If no, please explain: (1400 character limit)

Huh? These people need a class in writing;
The question above says

1) Y are you going to med school directly after UG?
2) i) Y did you spend more than 4 years in UG?
or ii) Y did you not spend more than 4 years in UG?

Has anyone received the secondary from BU? Apparently it's out...but I haven't gotten anything yet. :(

Are you guys writing anything for the extra learning experience question? I am thinking about writing an essay about some artsy stuff that I have done. What do you guys think?

Are you guys writing anything for the extra learning experience question? I am thinking about writing an essay about some artsy stuff that I have done. What do you guys think?
If you have something I would most defiantly write about it. Dont make stuff up but if you can fill it in do so. Boston is big on serving the community and those underserved. Showing more humanistic qualities is always a good thing. I wrote something but it had more to do with my time spent in a rural poor area and such.

If you have something I would most defiantly write about it. Dont make stuff up but if you can fill it in do so. Boston is big on serving the community and those underserved. Showing more humanistic qualities is always a good thing. I wrote something but it had more to do with my time spent in a rural poor area and such.

Thanks Elijah

For those who got the email for secondary, did BU have your LOR, sent through AMCAS, on file? I don't understand how a few of the schools I applied to have my application but no LOR that already have been received by AMCAS.

I still didn't get an email :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.