2008-2009 Cornell Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how comfortable are you with getting around subways? Honestly I think you could save yourself lots of time and hassle if you just hail a cab.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Also, does anyone know when Cornell is releasing their second set of decisions? :xf::xf: (i.e. the March decisions, not the December decisions, obviously).

Members don't see this ad.

Last year it was March 7th I believe. But there was a theory floating around that December decisions = best of winter interviewees, March decisions = best of spring interviewees, everyone else = waitlist/reject

Last year it was March 7th I believe. But there was a theory floating around that December decisions = best of winter interviewees, March decisions = best of spring interviewees, everyone else = waitlist/reject

Well, I'm going to assume that I wasn't with the first set of decisions since the December decisions came out ~24 hours after my interview.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

i think just numerically that couldn't be the case, and circumstantially it wouldn't seem likely either.

obviously they are going to accept their best fall interviewees in dec. but as best as I can tell there were only 20 maybe 30 people that were accepted then. So even if quality applicants were evenly distributed throughout the interview season (which they almost certainly are not because the more competitive applicants get interviewed first) there would still be a good number of acceptances to go out come march for the fall interviewees

that being said i interviewed in january so it'd be great for me if all the fall acceptances were done,lol

i think just numerically that couldn't be the case, and circumstantially it wouldn't seem likely either.

obviously they are going to accept their best fall interviewees in dec. but as best as I can tell there were only 20 maybe 30 people that were accepted then. So even if quality applicants were evenly distributed throughout the interview season (which they almost certainly are not because the more competitive applicants get interviewed first) there would still be a good number of acceptances to go out come march for the fall interviewees

that being said i interviewed in january so it'd be great for me if all the fall acceptances were done,lol

I second your thinking. That cannot be true. I know plenty of people who interviewed in October last year and received March acceptances.

does anybody know when the big adcom meeting to select the rest of the 2013 class is?

does anybody know when the big adcom meeting to select the rest of the 2013 class is?

Not sure on a specific date but the rest of the acceptances will be released in March. Since they interview through February, I imagine the meeting will take place near the end of the month? Unless they do it in batches.

Does cornell send invites via email and mail?

Not sure on a specific date but the rest of the acceptances will be released in March. Since they interview through February, I imagine the meeting will take place near the end of the month? Unless they do it in batches.
I'm not sure on a date either but I looked up last year's thread and acceptances went out 3/7. Apparently the two years before acceptances went out closer to the middle of march (march 12, march 17). So i think it will probably be between the 1st and 3rd week of March.

Hey DrLyss Congrats on your acceptance!- Haven't reviewed previous posts- you see yourself ending up at Weill?
Still waiting on a pre-December interview decision here...

Hey DrLyss Congrats on your acceptance!- Haven't reviewed previous posts- you see yourself ending up at Weill?
Still waiting on a pre-December interview decision here...
Thanks :D I'm still in shock to be quite honest. I can definitely see myself at Weill & it looks like I will be next year! I can't wait.

Hang in there. March is a few weeks away

Ha, thanks :) I dunno, doesn't look very hopeful- but, thanks for the encouragement :)
It's definitely an amazing place to be! Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed @ cornell today. it was amazing, i was blown away. I think this is my first choice now. (a good thing but a bad thing because i had already decided on where to go, so now i must ponder)

interviewed @ cornell today. it was amazing, i was blown away. I think this is my first choice now. (a good thing but a bad thing because i had already decided on where to go, so now i must ponder)

which school is that? lol

which school is that? lol

stony brook. i really liked this school and i can end up going for free. I know cornell is much more prestigious and all that, so if i get in, i will prolly end up going to cornell. i will not make a hasty decision though even though many of you will say what is there to think about?

stony brook. i really liked this school and i can end up going for free. I know cornell is much more prestigious and all that, so if i get in, i will prolly end up going to cornell. i will not make a hasty decision though even though many of you will say what is there to think about?

Dude, of course it's a no-brainer. Who would honestly say no to a fully paid medical education? Prestigious or not, whichever med school you go to, you're going to be a doctor, so why end up with debt?

Dude, of course it's a no-brainer. Who would honestly say no to a fully paid medical education? Prestigious or not, whichever med school you go to, you're going to be a doctor, so why end up with debt?

im actually on the other end.. im in a similar sort of boat, downstate or nyu and even though going to downstate will eliminate a lot of debt, i wouldn't be as happy as i can be at nyu.. lol
but good luck on the wait!! only a few short weeks left!!:xf::luck:

im actually on the other end.. im in a similar sort of boat, downstate or nyu and even though going to downstate will eliminate a lot of debt, i wouldn't be as happy as i can be at nyu.. lol

not a pleasant boat to be on. good luck on your decision!

preinterview rejection letter in the mail :( damn i really wanted to be in nyc

Sure, but if you think about it, is happiness worth being in debt over? I agree, NYU looks aesthetically pleasing, facility and location wise, but in terms of clinical experience, Downstate doesn't disappoint either. I don't know your financial situation, but those loan interests compound insanely. In any case, I'm sure your mind's made up. :laugh:

Sure, but if you think about it, is happiness worth being in debt over? I agree, NYU looks aesthetically pleasing, facility and location wise, but in terms of clinical experience, Downstate doesn't disappoint either. I don't know your financial situation, but those loan interests compound insanely. In any case, I'm sure your mind's made up. :laugh:

i have given those loan interests some thought but I think that in this case, I would rather be a lot happier with a lot more debt.. lol So for any out there who are in the same boat, don't feel bad about financial decisions not being your main concern (even if, like me, you will be taking out lots of loans) :cool:

i have given those loan interests some thought but I think that in this case, I would rather be a lot happier with a lot more debt.. lol So for any out there who are in the same boat, don't feel bad about financial decisions not being your main concern (even if, like me, you will be taking out lots of loans) :cool:

i understand both sides of the argument. However, i think im more inclined towards where i will be happier, and by happy i mean where do i see myself living more comfortable in, where do i fit in mostly, and where is it more convenient for me to live in?

Have they stopped interviewing yet? Or, what's the last interview date??

Have they stopped interviewing yet? Or, what's the last interview date??

i dotn think they stopped interviewing cause i just interviewed this week, and i had the option of interviewing next week if i wanted to. I think they still interview all through this month.

does anyone know if cornell has good scholarships for students? and if so, what they are based on?

does anyone know if cornell has good scholarships for students? and if so, what they are based on?

There are only need-based scholarships. The students I talked to said the financial aid packages are pretty competitive as compared to other private institutions.

There are only need-based scholarships. The students I talked to said the financial aid packages are pretty competitive as compared to other private institutions.

thats great cause the cost is something that would lead me to choose another school. it will be a tough decision if i get in for me cause i already had a vision of where i was going to end up...i would have to rethign of everything. ahhhhhh

Ok is it just me or does it feel like its taking EXTREEEEEEEMELY long for 'mid-March' to get here! I'm somewhat hoping they'll be like 'Surprise! We weren't gonna let you wait that long for us to tell you....we love you!' haha!

Ugh, I just wanna know. My heart is set and that's the only place I wanna be!!!!!!! Is anyone else dying here?!
:wtf:

Dying since September 30th. Losing hope fast :(

Ok is it just me or does it feel like its taking EXTREEEEEEEMELY long for 'mid-March' to get here! I'm somewhat hoping they'll be like 'Surprise! We weren't gonna let you wait that long for us to tell you....we love you!' haha!

Ugh, I just wanna know. My heart is set and that's the only place I wanna be!!!!!!! Is anyone else dying here?!

i had my interview last week and im already feeling bit anxious so i can imagine how u guys must feel. i read in the website that they select their class EARLY march:

http://weill.cornell.edu/education/admissions/acc.html

but during my interview they said mid. I'll say this prolly means anywhere from the 7th to the 20th.

best of luck to you!

Ya i'm dying. Cornell is my first choice, and I've been accepted at the two schools i'm considering for an alternative, but its killing me to not know where I'll be in just 6-7 months. I'm just really worried that if I don't get in i'm not going to be able to get excited about anything else, which I recognize is horrible because I have friend w/o any acceptances yet, but still thats where I'm at.

Ya i'm dying. Cornell is my first choice, and I've been accepted at the two schools i'm considering for an alternative, but its killing me to not know where I'll be in just 6-7 months. I'm just really worried that if I don't get in i'm not going to be able to get excited about anything else, which I recognize is horrible because I have friend w/o any acceptances yet, but still thats where I'm at.

i hope they let us know the first week of march. That will eliminate lots of anxiety. good luck everyone!

is cornell med's fafsa code 004762 or G04762??

Yup, this is the last week. If you haven't gotten an invite yet, don't think it's coming

OMG I'm almost in the exact mindset as you. I've gotten accepted to one school thus far and they've offered me a full tuition and fees scholarship but I reeeeally want Cornell. If they don't accept me, I think I'll be a wreck for a few weeks. Like "crying in my bedroom in my pajamas all day" type of wreck, LOL :laugh: :scared:

I just got an acceptance email!!! Must resist urge to scream during lecture!

Me too!!!

E-mails are out!!!

w00t! accepted exactly a week from the interview

congrats all

Seriously? Well damn. =/ No email for me. Wow this sucks. I wish they'd just email everyone their decisions... It kind of stings to know I wasn't accepted but not know if I was wait listed or rejected.

Last edited:
Congrats guys! I am so excited! Welcome to the club :)

Join the accepted students thread under Medical School > Allopathic Class Threads!

CONGRATS AGAIN!

yes, I'm assuming the waitlist and rejections go out by snail mail.

also possible that emails go out in batches, although I doubt it...keeping my fingers crossed for a waitlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.