2008-2009 Cornell Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else been accepted to Weill :)Cornell Class of 2013?? I'm searching the net for my future classmates

Members don't see this ad.

I got my rejection letter yesterday. This was my first rejection! I applied really late because my school's ******ed committee didn't send out letters till november. Is it true that if you applied close to the deadline then you pretty much had no shot?

Oh well, at least I have plenty of other interviews to keep me occupied. Interviewing at Columbia on Wednesday. I kinda want to rub it Cornell's face when I'm in town haha.

I got my rejection letter yesterday. This was my first rejection! I applied really late because my school's ******ed committee didn't send out letters till november. Is it true that if you applied close to the deadline then you pretty much had no shot?

Oh well, at least I have plenty of other interviews to keep me occupied. Interviewing at Columbia on Wednesday. I kinda want to rub it Cornell's face when I'm in town haha.

Can't win them all, and nobody cares.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I just had my interview yesterday and I fell in LOVE with Cornell! I love the students, the campus, the curriculum, and the overall vibe. And the housing isn't too shabby either :)

I had SUPER easy interviews...in fact, they were so easy, I'm a little worried. Like, did they already have a decision in mind and they were just interviewing me to go along with the motions? :scared: Ugh, I'm not even gonna think any crazy theories and just wait until March, haha. I had Dr. Vad as one of my interviewers and he was so awesome. He asked me about the local sports teams and he even wrote out a list of great restaurants to visit in the NYC area haha!

GREAT SCHOOL! :claps:

Cornell rejection... I now understand why, no matter how many tims I begged and pleaded and sent in the area letters, they did not invite me... oh well...

Congratulations to you!! Are you definitely going? Let's get a little Cornell group going. I sent you a message.

Congratulations to you!! Are you definitely going? Let's get a little Cornell group going. I sent you a message.

Hey there Andylor! I was also accepted in December. Welcome to the club! I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going there next year but it's definitely one of my top choices and I'd love to spend the next four years of my life there. We have a Weill Cornell '2013 thread on the Allopathic Class Threads forum. Find us!

Maybe you're right, but I detected a little arrogance and didnt like him hating on a school that I like. sry :rolleyes:

haha, my detector must be off or something, bc I didn't sense one bit of arrogance there and "hate" is such a strong word, don't you think?

Cornell is non-rolling, so when you submit your application should not affect your chances.

^zing.

cornell's got a really small class, so they're pretty picky about who they interview...sorta unlike columbia who interviews A LOT of people at least relative to the number of ppl who apply.

^zing.

cornell's got a really small class, so they're pretty picky about who they interview...sorta unlike columbia who interviews A LOT of people at least relative to the number of ppl who apply.

Huh, I thought it was the opposite (re: Columbia/Cornell) :confused::confused:

: sigh : March is a long time to wait.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cornell. They have a very unique way of doing things and it works for them. I don't know that it would work for a school with fewer resources or less motivated students, but it works for Cornell...

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, I thought it was the opposite (re: Columbia/Cornell) :confused::confused:

: sigh : March is a long time to wait.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cornell. They have a very unique way of doing things and it works for them. I don't know that it would work for a school with fewer resources or less motivated students, but it works for Cornell...

From Fall 2007:
Columbia: 6946 applied, 1194 interviewed (17.2% of applicants), 286 were accepted (24.0% of interviewees, 4.1% of applicants), 155 enrolled
Cornell: 5853 applied, 676 interviewed (11.5% of applicants), 237 were accepted (35% of interviewees, 4.0% of applicants), 101 enrolled

As you can see, although both schools end up accepting 4% of all applicants, Columbia interviews more applicants and accepts fewer interviewees than Cornell.

From Fall 2007:
Columbia: 6946 applied, 1194 interviewed (17.2% of applicants), 286 were accepted (24.0% of interviewees, 4.1% of applicants), 155 enrolled
Cornell: 5853 applied, 676 interviewed (11.5% of applicants), 237 were accepted (35% of interviewees, 4.0% of applicants), 101 enrolled

As you can see, although both schools end up accepting 4% of all applicants, Columbia interviews more applicants and accepts fewer interviewees than Cornell.

I wonder if there are a lot of cross-admits between the schools (obviously there are a lot of cross-applicants). They're both amazing schools, and they're both in the city. I'm happy they teamed up to make a kick-ass hospital. Both campuses are RIDICULOUS!

From Fall 2007:

Ah, thanks Chad. :thumbup:

I wonder if there are a lot of cross-admits between the schools (obviously there are a lot of cross-applicants). They're both amazing schools, and they're both in the city. I'm happy they teamed up to make a kick-ass hospital. Both campuses are RIDICULOUS!

Hehe, I think they should both admit me :love::xf:.

You know, Columbia and Cornell ARE very different schools, but I think I can appreciate them each for being great in their own unique ways.

Hehe, I think they should both admit me :love::xf:.

You know, Columbia and Cornell ARE very different schools, but I think I can appreciate them each for being great in their own unique ways.
i think one of their biggest differences is pbl vs. lecture. at my interview, the interviewer asked what i knew about columbia. after stuttering for a bit, i said that they are so heavy lecture based and he seemed realllyyyy happy with that answer.

i think one of their biggest differences is pbl vs. lecture. at my interview, the interviewer asked what i knew about columbia. after stuttering for a bit, i said that they are so heavy lecture based and he seemed realllyyyy happy with that answer.

But now Columbia will have a totally new curriculum for 2013 and beyond.

yeah columbia's new curriculum is essentially UPenn's curriculum except maybe more lecture based. i must say, what I absolutely LOVED about penn was their curriculum and it's fabulous that columbia is going to have the same one. im a bit jealous lol

yeah columbia's new curriculum is essentially UPenn's curriculum except maybe more lecture based. i must say, what I absolutely LOVED about penn was their curriculum and it's fabulous that columbia is going to have the same one. im a bit jealous lol

Columbia's new curriculum is very similar to Baylor's, too, actually.

ditto! i love Penn's curriculum and am also excited that Columbia has also adopted a similar program. PBL is pretty awesome too, though! Is it weird that I like both and that I wouldn't mind either? I feel like most people either feel very strongly opposed to PBL or really like it. I feel like there are plusses to both and either style doesn't really tip the scale for me.

I agree that PBL is a love/hate thing. From the students I have talked with it seems you can't really appreciate it until you get to 3rd/4th year but it really helps prepare you for life in the wards.

just got an interview invite, im really excited but torn because i kind of already had my mind made up about which med school to attend. either way, im grateful for the opportunity.

just got an interview invite, im really excited but torn because i kind of already had my mind made up about which med school to attend. either way, im grateful for the opportunity.
congrats! what was the other school you were decided upon?

congrats! what was the other school you were decided upon?

i was decided on stony brook, and i still want to go there. However if i get into cornell i will have to rethink everything. i wish i had the interview earlier, lol

i was decided on stony brook, and i still want to go there. However if i get into cornell i will have to rethink everything. i wish i had the interview earlier, lol

I got my interview invite today too, after having been completed since 9/11/08. I also share the same sentiments about the timing, but I think that this could be an awesome opportunity. What days are you thinking about interviewing JSanchez?

Yes, but it will still be grounded in lecture with a bit more time in small groups.

Cornell is probably one of the most PBL-heavy schools in the country.

Yay! PBL! I'm disgustingly happy with PBL.

Yay! PBL! I'm disgustingly happy with PBL.

haha that's awesome you're so pumped. Cornell is awesome! I want to join a group on facebook or something but since I am still waiting on other schools in March i feel like it's not appropriate.

haha that's awesome you're so pumped. Cornell is awesome! I want to join a group on facebook or something but since I am still waiting on other schools in March i feel like it's not appropriate.

Yeah, I feel you. I still have three more interviews, and I hate to count my chickens before they hatch. (odd saying I grew up with)

I also just got an interview invite. Excited and honored....but kinda sad cuz its so late in the cycle. I would have gone to NYC in a second to interview if this was october or november...but at this point I'm already sitting on acceptances (though I suppose...thats a good thing) and I dont know if its worth the trip anymore. It's nice to see how enthusiastic all of you are about Cornell though, seems like a great place. Hopefully someone else can take my interview spot now.

I got my interview invite today too, after having been completed since 9/11/08. I also share the same sentiments about the timing, but I think that this could be an awesome opportunity. What days are you thinking about interviewing JSanchez?

yea i been completed since august! lol

i scheduled my interview for Feb. 10 in the morning, how bout u?

yea i been completed since august! lol

i scheduled my interview for Feb. 10 in the morning, how bout u?

I'm not sure yet, but definitely second week of February too. I'm not very up-to-date on how Cornell does their interviews, so can anyone tell me if there are student hosts? And if not, where did most of you stay the night before the interview? Thanks a bunch, and I apologize in advance if this question has been asked a million times already...

Yes, there are student hosts. You have to contact the admissions office and I believe they send out an email to current students. If someone is willing, they will send you their contact info. I think it took about a week to coordinate everything.

I did this when I interviewed and it was awesome. The Cornell students are super friendly -- my host even cooked me dinner, gave me an quick tour around the campus, and told me a ton about the school the night before. Another friend who also interviewed at WCMC had a similar experience.

Plus who would pass up the opportunity to stay for free in the Upper East Side for a night? Hotels are pricey around there -- I did, however, stay at a hotel nearby 2 nights before my interview because I didn't want to impose too much. I stayed at an great place called "The Pod". I'd def suggest staying here if you need to.

Has anyone gone to an afternoon interview and used public transportation to get to either La Guardia or JFK? I'm thinking about doing this but am not sure how easy/convenient/time-efficient this would be, especially considering that I've never been to NYC before. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.

Has anyone gone to an afternoon interview and used public transportation to get to either La Guardia or JFK? I'm thinking about doing this but am not sure how easy/convenient/time-efficient this would be, especially considering that I've never been to NYC before. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all.
how comfortable are you with getting around subways? Honestly I think you could save yourself lots of time and hassle if you just hail a cab.

If you prefer using the subway you can use this link to tell you the best way to get to each airport via public transportation. The closest stop to Cornell is the 6 train on 68th & lexington (Hunter College) which is only 2 or 3 blocks away.

I had an afternoon interview and used public transportation to get to and from JFK airport. It was my first time in NYC as well. I thought that the public transportation in NYC was really user-friendly and very efficient--much more efficient than Chicago (where I live now). If going to and from JFK, there is this shuttle service called AirTrain. There are subway rails that will take you to and from the AirTrain station. In my experience, it was SUPER convenient.

Here's a link:

http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/

hope this helps!

AtG

ps. This is if you are flying into and out of JFK airport, which is farther from Manhattan than La Guardia. I'm not sure if AirTrain services La Guardia airport.

how comfortable are you with getting around subways? Honestly I think you could save yourself lots of time and hassle if you just hail a cab.

If you prefer using the subway you can use this link to tell you the best way to get to each airport via public transportation. The closest stop to Cornell is the 6 train on 68th & lexington (Hunter College) which is only 2 or 3 blocks away.
seriously. i don't know about you, but i had a heavy suitcase and a heavy computer case to lug around UES, I can't imagine going up and down subway stairs. Well, I can because I've done it before in Europe, but I wouldn't want to do it again alone. i would just hail a cab, its about $30.

Thank you so much for all of your help so far! I spent four years in the California Bay Area, so using public transportation is something that I'm quite comfortable with. It will definitely be less of a hassle to get a cab, but I was told that it would cost around $50 to get to JFK. That's a bit expensive for me, so I'm just exploring other options...

AtG, I spent a week in Chicago and used the system there to get to just about all of the tourist places. I thought that the system there was already better than the one in the Bay Area, so this could really work out. I am trying to fly back to LAX, so JFK definitely has more to offer. How long would you say the whole route took you? It would suck to miss my flight...

Thank you so much for all of your help so far! I spent four years in the California Bay Area, so using public transportation is something that I'm quite comfortable with. It will definitely be less of a hassle to get a cab, but I was told that it would cost around $50 to get to JFK. That's a bit expensive for me, so I'm just exploring other options...

AtG, I spent a week in Chicago and used the system there to get to just about all of the tourist places. I thought that the system there was already better than the one in the Bay Area, so this could really work out. I am trying to fly back to LAX, so JFK definitely has more to offer. How long would you say the whole route took you? It would suck to miss my flight...
Yeah, I flew out of LGA which was only about 30 mins away mostly bc of traffic, not actual geographic distance.

I'll agree with you. Chicago public transport definitely beats most other major city's transport services. But when compared to NYC, NYC seems much more reliable. I cannot remember exactly how long it took me to get from upper east side Manhattan to JFK, but I would hazard a guess and say that it didn't take me more than 1 hr to an 1hr and 15 ? I think the website I linked will give you more information regarding estimated times and stuff. I'm in your shoes with regard to traveling--always trying to save an extra buck!

AtG

I just checked and my departing flight was at 8:30. I remember getting out of my interview around 4 -4:30, wandering around for a second trying to figure out where I was going and then I think I finally got to the airport around 6-6:30. So, give yourself enough time to get to the airport in time for your flight. Good luck!

AtG

i am hoping Cornell will show me some love.:xf::xf::xf:

does anyone know if Cornell is offering more interviews this season?

Don't know, but I would email them an in the area letter if your status is still active. I emailed them last week after i got an interview in nyc and got an invite within two hours and there were available dates for a few weeks in feb.

I dont know why they could not have informed me of their decision when they made it but whatever. Best of luck.

All my energy and hope and prayer is going into Cornell. That is the school I want to be at!!! I'm so nervous...why does March have to be so far away?!?!?! :scared:

All my energy and hope and prayer is going into Cornell. That is the school I want to be at!!! I'm so nervous...why does March have to be so far away?!?!?! :scared:

Did adcom give a definitive date in March. For some reason March 3rd rings a bell, but I may be confusing that with NYU.

Status
Not open for further replies.