2008-2009 Cornell Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the interview at Cornell open file or closed?

its open file. Qt i interviewed there on there 2nd day of itnerviews. Pearls of wisdom.

I had dr carillo and dr lazar for interviews. Dr. carillo was the founder of NBLHO the national boriqua latino health organization which they probably did on purpose because of me being a puerto rican. My interviews were actually horrible but for the most part everyones is laid back. I had stress interviews and it was a very bad experience on top of it being my first so the nerves were in full force.

Just be yourself. U probably will not be asked too many crazy things out of the ordinary. they are just trying to gauge who u are as in individual but this was not the case for me.Know the school obviously and ur AMCAS, which is pretty much the same as any other school.

Members don't see this ad.

its open file. Qt i interviewed there on there 2nd day of itnerviews. Pearls of wisdom.

I had dr carillo and dr lazar for interviews. Dr. carillo was the founder of NBLHO the national boriqua latino health organization which they probably did on purpose because of me being a puerto rican. My interviews were actually horrible but for the most part everyones is laid back. I had stress interviews and it was a very bad experience on top of it being my first so the nerves were in full force.

Just be yourself. U probably will not be asked too many crazy things out of the ordinary. they are just trying to gauge who u are as in individual but this was not the case for me.Know the school obviously and ur AMCAS, which is pretty much the same as any other school.

how was your 2nd interviewer? and QT let us know how yours went! i wonder why they were hard on you...

my 2nd interview was stress lol. he told me nothing stood out on my app, and that the itnerview was gona be short because the first interview was the one where they gauge most of what they want to know. I did not know what to say it being my first interview and i think the whole purpose was to evoke a response outta me, so i can back up my app and experiences. I was a rare case and it truly is not how they usually do interviews there, its very laid back. Dont stress about it
I have no idea why they were like that but thats how it is u dont know anything with this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually sat in on a lecture from Dr. Carillo while I was doing the program at Cornell. He seemed pretty nice. I am also Hispanic so I wonder if they will give me a hispanic interviewer as well.

My interview is on Tues. I will def update when I'm done =) Thanks for the advice everyone.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

My interviews went well. Cornell is gorgeous (and loaded with money apparently). As I suspected, I had two hispanic interviewers. Overall everything went very well! Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

I interviewed early October and just checked my status it says: Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then.

Does that mean they are not sending out December acceptances this year? Can someone else who interviewed post their status....

Def one of my top choices, would love to get in early..

I interviewed early October and just checked my status it says: Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then.

Does that mean they are not sending out December acceptances this year? Can someone else who interviewed post their status....

Def one of my top choices, would love to get in early..

i interviewed in october and my status says the same thing. guess we'll just have to wait...

I sent an "in the area in December" letter to Cornell, after I got Sinai on the October 1st to Cornell, and I got the response that the letter will be added to my file. I just got AECOM today, and I was wondering whether I should resend the letter but this time for January, or will it not make a difference?

I sent an "in the area in December" letter to Cornell, after I got Sinai on the October 1st to Cornell, and I got the response that the letter will be added to my file. I just got AECOM today, and I was wondering whether I should resend the letter but this time for January, or will it not make a difference?

why not... it says on the 2ndary to let them know when you're in the area.

I sent them an "in the area" email a little over a week ago since I am interviewing at Sinai in late Nov. In less than a week, they sent me a personalized email offering me an interview for the day before my Sinai interview.

So I say go for it!!!

Yea why not. Maybe you should call and ask them to just add a note to your note to include the extra set of dates :)

any interview feedback/questions asked at Cornell? There's only 3 entries on the feedback page for this season :( i have my interview next week and i'm nervous! :scared:

Does Cornell allow you to stay with a student? They don't seem to mention it on the e-mail invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Cornell allow you to stay with a student? They don't seem to mention it on the e-mail invite.

Yes. I didn't do it, but many in my interview group did. You just need to call Cathy Cabrera in the admissions office for the names and e-mail addresses of students willing to host interviewees.

bump...interview invitation: any advice?

:D

1. Accept the invitation.
2. Show up on time and well dressed.
3. Answer questions.
4. Ask them to send me a similar invitation.

1-3 three are the most important for getting you in. #4 will earn you a lolly-pop (two, if they invite me).

Haha. OK, so what flavor lollipop are we talking about? ;)

Any flavor is ok. Particularly if they offer me an interview.

You could try the "in the area" approach. The woman who spoke with me on the phone was very accomodating and I've heard good things about Cornell in that regard.

I would probably look a little funny requesting an interview for "my friend, Loon." ;)

Don't stress. Be yourself. :) My interview experience was really relaxed. And I was late (I screwed up really badly on the subway; if I'd done it right, I would've been an hour early), which may hurt my chances of an actual acceptance, but the lady at the front desk was really accomodating and nice and they just rescheduled my first interview and everything was fine. The students were cool, although I wish they'd done less "we're better than the other new york schools" talk. And I think they talked about their PBL way too much.

In terms of questions, I didn't even get asked Why Cornell? They just asked me about myself, why medicine, what do I do in my free time (apparently owning a parrot is cool? Both interviewers were all "Really? Wow!" about it). They were very basic interviews. So if you're any sort of prepared, you should be fine.

did anyone who has already interviewed get an email from Cornell today saying thanks, and to be patient as they notify people in March?

TX!

yes, it was nice.

After sending the "in the area" email did anyone receive an invite after initially receiving the quick response of "there is still no decision on your app" response.

I know there's a lot of people who got invites after sending the 'in the area' email and a lot of people just got the 'no decision' reply. I was curious if those who got an interview invite eventually initially go the 'no decision' email.

Thanks

Kinda quiet in here... I've been complete since 9/3... Still waiting to hear back from them... Any idea what are the latest interview dates assigned? I'm curious how many invites they have left...

Would it be uncouth to send a reminder "in the area" letter, that I already sent them on October 2nd? Is this bad policy, or would it be okay?

Would it be uncouth to send a reminder "in the area" letter, that I already sent them on October 2nd? Is this bad policy, or would it be okay?

Maybe you could call? You could call first, to ask if there has been any decision made on your 'in the area' request. And if they tell you "no", then perhaps you can ask (1) at what point the decision will be made and/or (2) would it be helpful to resend the e-mail.

G'luck funkster :D

Kinda quiet in here... I've been complete since 9/3... Still waiting to hear back from them... Any idea what are the latest interview dates assigned? I'm curious how many invites they have left...

I got an interview Friday (complete mid August). Pretty cool! Dates in the first three weeks of December were offered to me.

Seems like they still have plenty of interviews to offer. I received an invite last week and was offered as early as Dec. 2.

I got an interview Friday (complete mid August). Pretty cool! Dates in the first three weeks of December were offered to me.

Cornell interviews until February and decisions are mailed in March

Maybe you could call? You could call first, to ask if there has been any decision made on your 'in the area' request. And if they tell you "no", then perhaps you can ask (1) at what point the decision will be made and/or (2) would it be helpful to resend the e-mail.

G'luck funkster :D

Thanks pianola. I called them, and made an addendum in my file. I guess I will just have to wait...

Cornell is awesome

I sent an "in the area" email and got a phone call ten minutes later to schedule my interview next week because there was a cancellation. I was complete on 9/19 for those who are wondering. I was really debating whether or not I should send the email, but it worked out. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Anyone know how many acceptances go out in December? It would be really nice to get one!!

I thought Cornell was non-rolling. They send out acceptances in December ?

AtG

holy crap :luck:

AtG
my thoughts exactly

although I think they send out the majority in March. They might send a few to their allstars in December. Who knows, it could be you

December?

The status check page says:
"Thanks for interviewing at WMC. The class is selected in mid-March and all decisions are mailed then."

they accept like 12 people in december apparently

12? are you being sarcastic ? I hope so...

AtG

My status page updated to say that "decision has been mailed to you". Guess they started rejecting people

I call bull**** magazine...

AtG

According to last year's threads, Cornell sent pre-interview rejections around this time, followed by a select few acceptances right before Xmas...so yea that does seem right!

eek! the start of this correspondance makes me nervous. anyone know if they email or snail mail acceptances?

The December acceptances were via e-mail :scared:

Anyone else get status updates?

Anyone else get status updates?

Mine updated... I THINK...

Your application is complete. Since we screen each applicant individually, the process may take a few months. Weill Cornell does not have rolling admissions so we ask that you please be patient. Final decisions are communicated beginning in December. The class is selected in March.

I don't recall seeing that line before....

Mine updated... I THINK...

Your application is complete. Since we screen each applicant individually, the process may take a few months. Weill Cornell does not have rolling admissions so we ask that you please be patient. Final decisions are communicated beginning in December. The class is selected in March.

I don't recall seeing that line before....

Nope, it was always like that. I've had that message since I became complete. Hasn't changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.