You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
hello
Hello.
hello
Hello.
This is riveting. I am at the edge of my seat.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is riveting. I am at the edge of my seat.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?!
This made me laugh so hard! Man, this thread needed those two hello's!

hey everyone, i'm a 1st year med student at duke. my friend alerted me to this thread so i figured i'd post what i heard. i have it on good authority that the acceptance letters were mailed today. it was in the afternoon, so i'm not sure if they got postmarked today or will be picked up first thing tomorrow, but they are on their way. As for the reject/waitlist emails, all I know is that they were not sent today. (obviously, cuz if they had someone would have mentioned it on the thread by now). Rumor has it that admissions will be sending those out later on this week sometime. good luck everyone.
also, this is my first post ever on this site and i'm pretty new to this, but when i quickly scanned through this forum just a second ago, i noticed some pretty forward and argumentative posts. keep in mind that medical school admissons departments can see these threads and if they wanted to, it would't be very had to figure out who you are by what you post about yourself. i have no idea if they even ever look at this site or not, but after looking at this thread for 5 minutes I can pick out a few of my classmates simply by what they have posted. If its easy for me to do, its easy for the people that make the decisions to do as well. anyways, good luck again
also, this is my first post ever on this site and i'm pretty new to this, but when i quickly scanned through this forum just a second ago, i noticed some pretty forward and argumentative posts. keep in mind that medical school admissons departments can see these threads and if they wanted to, it would't be very had to figure out who you are by what you post about yourself. i have no idea if they even ever look at this site or not, but after looking at this thread for 5 minutes I can pick out a few of my classmates simply by what they have posted. If its easy for me to do, its easy for the people that make the decisions to do as well. anyways, good luck again
hey everyone, i'm a 1st year med student at duke. my friend alerted me to this thread so i figured i'd post what i heard. i have it on good authority that the acceptance letters were mailed today. it was in the afternoon, so i'm not sure if they got postmarked today or will be picked up first thing tomorrow, but they are on their way. As for the reject/waitlist emails, all I know is that they were not sent today. (obviously, cuz if they had someone would have mentioned it on the thread by now). Rumor has it that admissions will be sending those out later on this week sometime. good luck everyone.
also, this is my first post ever on this site and i'm pretty new to this, but when i quickly scanned through this forum just a second ago, i noticed some pretty forward and argumentative posts. keep in mind that medical school admissons departments can see these threads and if they wanted to, it would't be very had to figure out who you are by what you post about yourself. i have no idea if they even ever look at this site or not, but after looking at this thread for 5 minutes I can pick out a few of my classmates simply by what they have posted. If its easy for me to do, its easy for the people that make the decisions to do as well. anyways, good luck again
ooooooooh exciting!! Well, I shall be anxiously awaiting my rejection tomorrow morning 😉.
ooooooooh exciting!! Well, I shall be anxiously awaiting my rejection tomorrow morning 😉.
I feel nervous.
http://www.directcreative.com/postal-experiments.htmlhow good is the US postal service?
i wonder....what if they lose your letter?
I'd say if you're mailing things like odorous, unwrapped cheese and exposed $20 bills, 64% is pretty amazing. 😛
Look at the bright side, though. You have almost a 2/3 chance of getting your Duke decision. Wow!
Look at the bright side, though. You have almost a 2/3 chance of getting your Duke decision. Wow!
also, this is my first post ever on this site and i'm pretty new to this, but when i quickly scanned through this forum just a second ago, i noticed some pretty forward and argumentative posts. keep in mind that medical school admissons departments can see these threads and if they wanted to, it would't be very had to figure out who you are by what you post about yourself. i have no idea if they even ever look at this site or not, but after looking at this thread for 5 minutes I can pick out a few of my classmates simply by what they have posted. If its easy for me to do, its easy for the people that make the decisions to do as well. anyways, good luck again
Yep, they definitely do read this forum from time to time! And quite often they figure out someone's identity on their interview day...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2
216397
Good luck to everyone. 🙂 I'm too nervous to keep on checking this forum so I'll see you guys after decisions!


64% delivery success rate???
that's not very good....
Last night there was a Seinfeld episode where Jerry picked up Newman's mail route for the day, for whatever reason. Later Newman tells Jerry that he got busted, and the USPS knew it wasn't a mailman doing the route. Jerry says, "How?" and Newman replies "Because everybody got their mail!"
Man! I can't wait to hear from this school. I woke up like 4 times this morning and checked my email since my interview email arrived super duper early. I guess they'll send them tomorrow? While I'm on a plane and can't check my email?
Sigh. I need a hug. And a nap!
Sigh. I need a hug. And a nap!
how good is the US postal service?
i wonder....what if they lose your letter?
my passport got lost inthe mail sometime between feb 18th and now. I have to contact the dept. of homeland security now, not what I wanted to be doing this weekend 🙁
Man! I can't wait to hear from this school. I woke up like 4 times this morning and checked my email since my interview email arrived super duper early. I guess they'll send them tomorrow? While I'm on a plane and can't check my email?
Sigh. I need a hug. And a nap!
hah me too. keep checking email and this thread. This has got to stop, the chances of getting into Duke is so small.
Gmail, with its teasing (1) is both a blessing and a curse. I have it open all day while I'm working, and every time I get a (1), I have (without fail!) someone around and I can't check it. One of the doctors in the clinic where I work went to Duke Med so she's particularly antsy about me finding out whether I'm in or not.
It's all very frustrating.
It's all very frustrating.
arrrg....hotmail won't let me into my email account...it says the server is too busy!
i think every Duke applicant is currently staring at their inboxes, hitting the refresh button....
Oh hotmail, I remember those days... You gotta get on the gmail train!
The (1) is driving me nuts too.
funny, i'm waiting on my passport too, and I submitted my application at around the same time. Did you get a notice to contact Homeland Security?
It was actually lost when I mailed it to social security to get a new ss card because my name changed. It is really frustrating, because now I can't get my new ss card, because my passport got lost in the mail, and I can't get a new passport because my ssn and my photo ID (drivers liscence) have different names. I have no idea how I am going to get around this.
Oh hotmail, I remember those days... You gotta get on the gmail train!
The (1) is driving me nuts too.
i kick it old school 😉
Relax people
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!



Solid advice but I just can't do it. 🙂 Doesn't help that today is the slowest day of work EVER in the history of the world. I don't even have an excuse, other than salvaging my sanity of course, to pull myself away from gmail.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!
Solid advice but I just can't do it. 🙂 Doesn't help that today is the slowest day of work EVER in the history of the world. I don't even have an excuse, other than salvaging my sanity of course, to pull myself away from gmail.
Hahaha same here! I wish I were super busy so I could just kind of glance at gmail once in a while, see the dreaded email and go "oh well! Too busy to care!" but noooooo I get to stare at the darn thing all day and when the dreaded email comes I'll get to just read it 100 times and dwell. I don't like dwelling.
its funny we have 2 conversations going on at once:
1. OMG FREAKOUT (<---me and others)
2. Drivers license stuff? Mail stuff? lol?
3) Gmail > Hotmail, but Hotmail = more oldschool than Gmail.
4) (1) is the devil's plaything.
By the way, if you're stressed and in a "misery loves company" sort of mood, go to the residency forum and look at the "countdown to the match" threads. The match is this coming wednesday, with the scramble happening on monday I believe, so people are SCARED. It certainly puts our stress into perspective.
By the way, if you're stressed and in a "misery loves company" sort of mood, go to the residency forum and look at the "countdown to the match" threads. The match is this coming wednesday, with the scramble happening on monday I believe, so people are SCARED. It certainly puts our stress into perspective.
Good call...that is DEFINITELY more stressful than wondering if we'll get into Duke. My cortisol levels just raised a few notches just at the thought of going through that 4 years from now. *shudder*
It's Thursday. Probably the most stressful time ends on Monday when they find out whether or not they matched. Just thinking about it is stressing me out!By the way, if you're stressed and in a "misery loves company" sort of mood, go to the residency forum and look at the "countdown to the match" threads. The match is this coming wednesday, with the scramble happening on monday I believe, so people are SCARED. It certainly puts our stress into perspective.
Good luck to you all!
I just got a poorly timed email from the duke alumni association... I almost had a heart attack
I just got a poorly timed email from the duke alumni association... I almost had a heart attack
LOL👍
Haha that sounds terrifying.
how much is the interview worth?
....i wonder if the adcom places an emphasis on the interview....i had a regional one so i don't know if that was a good idea...
31.5 %
Haha that sounds terrifying.
lol
I'm surprised the Emory thread is so dead today... we should be hearing back like tomorrow or something. Why is the Duke thread more active!?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol
I'm surprised the Emory thread is so dead today... we should be hearing back like tomorrow or something. Why is the Duke thread more active!?
I have no idea, to be honest. I've been wondering the same. I think it's probably due to the fact that Emory will only be sending out a few acceptances, while Duke will be sending out ALL of them. Emory's waitlist doesn't even come out until a couple of weeks from now. Duke will probably be doing everything at once. Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from both of them soon....
lol
I'm surprised the Emory thread is so dead today... we should be hearing back like tomorrow or something. Why is the Duke thread more active!?
Emory is rolling, Duke's not. That's my guess
I have no idea, to be honest. I've been wondering the same. I think it's probably due to the fact that Emory will only be sending out a few acceptances, while Duke will be sending out ALL of them. Emory's waitlist doesn't even come out until a couple of weeks from now. Duke will probably be doing everything at once. Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from both of them soon....
O.. didn't know that.. I thought this was Emory's last "accept/reject/waitlist" date
O.. didn't know that.. I thought this was Emory's last "accept/reject/waitlist" date
It is, but it's rolling, so there's a relatively small number of acceptances that were sent out. Duke sends out all 100 or 120 or however many they send out.
so i guess they are sending out rejection/waitlist emails on friday the 13th? is this confirmed? should i just go and get wasted now in anticipation of this news?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K