You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I didn't believe it either, but it's true. I just called and said "I'm trying to find out when and how we would be notified about acceptances" and a very friendly woman replied "Acceptances have been mailed out. Rejections and waitlists have been emailed out." I said "HAVE BEEN??" and she said "yes, have been sent."
I know I'm not that credible a source either, since I'm not a regular poster here. I recommend calling. 919-684-2985.
Good luck everyone!!!
Works for me. Thanks, and good luck to everyone. Let the compulsive email checking begin (again x 8)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M
mmagnett
per my post on the previous page (as a semi-neurotic SDNer) decisions have been sent, and i am checking my email almost every 5 seconds.
Yeah, i'm going to need confirmation by someone with demonstrated neuroses before I believe this. Get to work, people, you know who you are.
haha, I'm glad we have Jack around for comic relief, because it is miserable outside where I live. Cold, dirty, wet. The kind of weather that invites rejection letters.
per my post on the previous page (as a semi-neurotic SDNer) decisions have been sent, and i am checking my email almost every 5 seconds.
um, yeah. i am seriously about to have a heart attack.
if emails were sent out this morning, though, how much lag could there be going through the servers???
um, yeah. i am seriously about to have a heart attack.
if emails were sent out this morning, though, how much lag could there be going through the servers???
If the receiving email server suspect Duke of spam, then the emails could be delayed for several hours...
Anyone know how many people they are accepting right now? How many people interviewed?
M
mmagnett
sometimes computers do strange things.. they may have it timed so they dont overload their mail servers.. who knows
Anyone know how many people they are accepting right now? How many people interviewed?
Expect about 18% of interviewees to be getting acceptance letters. Eventually another 2-5% will acceptances off waitlist.
Anyone get an acceptance? If you live close enough, you may get it today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone get an acceptance? If you live close enough, you may get it today.
Just checked my mail. Nothing but a crummy utility bill and a coupon insert. On the plus side, it is now in my power to get a free one-topping medium pizza with the purchase of a large pizza at Domino's.
Yeah, if I get rejected, I'll let you guys know ASAP. I really can't describe how much this negative-acceptance policy annoys me. It really does seem aimed at maximizing anxiety, since for the next 24 hours (or however it takes the computers to send it out), you really are justified at getting alarmed by every email you get. I'm not a fan.
Just checked my mail. Nothing but a crummy utility bill and a coupon insert. On the plus side, it is now in my power to get a free one-topping medium pizza with the purchase of a large pizza at Domino's.
How far do you live from Durham?
Way too far to make any hope of getting mail today rational. 🙂
Just checked my mail. Nothing but a crummy utility bill and a coupon insert. On the plus side, it is now in my power to get a free one-topping medium pizza with the purchase of a large pizza at Domino's.
HA HA! i say go for it...eat some pizza and watch the Duke game...nothing like over-indulging on fatty foods and basketball to calm anxiety....but, maybe thats just me....
Just got an email from my roommate...and a package from Duke came in the mail today!! So excited! I live in DC...hopefully you all will get yours soon! Good luck!
Just got an email from my roommate...and a package from Duke came in the mail today!! So excited! I live in DC...hopefully you all will get yours soon! Good luck!
Congrats! Is it big or small?
..and a package from Duke came in the mail today!! So excited! I live in DC...hopefully you all will get yours soon! Good luck!
I live in DC too and didn't get anything from duke in the mail today, but I haven't gotten an email yet either 😕 I am going to go INSANE. I am leaving for a week tomorrow, and nobody gets my mail for me.
Thanks! I haven't seen it 🙁. Just got an email from my roommate saying that it had come. Oh man! Good luck!
Speaking for myself (and my rate of success at this so far), this sounds much too good to be true.
I'd really love to believe that not receiving an e-mail means something great (nay, awesome!), but I fear getting my hopes up in error much more. 🙁
I'd really love to believe that not receiving an e-mail means something great (nay, awesome!), but I fear getting my hopes up in error much more. 🙁
Last edited:
Has anyone received an e-mail yet??? What is taking so long???
Still no email for me.
Just got an email from my roommate...and a package from Duke came in the mail today!! So excited! I live in DC...hopefully you all will get yours soon! Good luck!
Package?? Like not with the regular mail?
got email. waitlist. boooo...but still not rejection.
Do you use gmail? Sorry to hear the news.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M
mmagnett
got email. waitlist. boooo...but still not rejection.
Congrats! That's better than a rejection!! You still have a shot!! Does it say what time the message was sent?
Last edited by a moderator:
wait list here also, I do use gmail. Anyone know how many people are on the wait list and how many usually get off?
So he is sending each letter individually...?
12:06pm.
I guess that things got lost in cyberspace for a few hours; that or you live on the west coast.
rejected...
Waitlisted too, sent 2:06 pm here on the east coast.
Oh well, better than rejected heh
Oh well, better than rejected heh
Rejected, 3:12 PM
M
mmagnett
Dreampills & dudette, I am sorry .. you'll be a great docs anyway! I got rejected by my alma mater yesterday and I have to admit it stung. But don't worry, keep your heads up! 🙂
Dreampills & dudette, I am sorry .. you'll be a great doc anyway! I got rejected by my alma mater yesterday and I have to admit it stung. But don't worry, keep your head up! 🙂
Thanks mmagnett for the encouraging words. I really wanted this too. Oh well. Crossing my fingers that I get off the waitlist at my alma mater.
Good luck everyone!
waitlist here...how many people do they waitlist?
Seems like they realized they had a server problem after SDN-ers started bombarding them w/ phone calls, haha
~~~
We have been concerned that one of our outgoing servers is not delivering the sizable number of emails. Therefore, I'm sending your decision through my email account. Please DO NOT reply to this email.
March 13, 2008
Thank you for your interest in attending the Duke University School of Medicine.
The Committee on Admissions has carefully reviewed your application for admission to the School of Medicine and I regret to inform you that you were not selected for a place in our incoming class.
While we recognize this decision may be disappointing, we would like you to know that while we were impressed with your credentials, selecting an incoming class from the number of outstanding candidates required the Admissions Committee to make some difficult choices. The enrollment parameters mandated by the medical school administration exclude us from accepting more students that we are able to accommodate. As a result, we were unable to offer a seat in the 2009 entering class to many outstanding applicants. This decision in no way reflects your potential as a future physician.
Once again, we appreciate your interest in attending DukeMed and we wish you great success in your future academic and professional pursuits.
Sincerely,
Brenda E. Armstrong, MD
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Duke University School of Medicine🙂
~~~
We have been concerned that one of our outgoing servers is not delivering the sizable number of emails. Therefore, I'm sending your decision through my email account. Please DO NOT reply to this email.
March 13, 2008
Thank you for your interest in attending the Duke University School of Medicine.
The Committee on Admissions has carefully reviewed your application for admission to the School of Medicine and I regret to inform you that you were not selected for a place in our incoming class.
While we recognize this decision may be disappointing, we would like you to know that while we were impressed with your credentials, selecting an incoming class from the number of outstanding candidates required the Admissions Committee to make some difficult choices. The enrollment parameters mandated by the medical school administration exclude us from accepting more students that we are able to accommodate. As a result, we were unable to offer a seat in the 2009 entering class to many outstanding applicants. This decision in no way reflects your potential as a future physician.
Once again, we appreciate your interest in attending DukeMed and we wish you great success in your future academic and professional pursuits.
Sincerely,
Brenda E. Armstrong, MD
Associate Dean and Director of Admissions
Duke University School of Medicine🙂
waitlisted as well. Damn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Love is of a birth as rare
As 'tis, for object, strange and high;
It was begotten by Despair
Upon Impossibility.
Magnanimous Despair alone
Could show me so divine a thing,
Where feeble Hope could ne'er have flown
But vainly flapped its tinsel wing.
And yet I quickly might arrive
Where my extended soul is fixed;
But Fate does iron wedges drive,
And always crowds itself betwixt.
Rejected by e-mail. Big time ouch. Best of luck to those still waiting!
As 'tis, for object, strange and high;
It was begotten by Despair
Upon Impossibility.
Magnanimous Despair alone
Could show me so divine a thing,
Where feeble Hope could ne'er have flown
But vainly flapped its tinsel wing.
And yet I quickly might arrive
Where my extended soul is fixed;
But Fate does iron wedges drive,
And always crowds itself betwixt.
Rejected by e-mail. Big time ouch. Best of luck to those still waiting!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K