You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Johns Hopkins Secondary Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
If my LOR are being sent by VirtualEvals, do I need to do anything extra to guarantee that they receive them? I was under the assumption that I didn't, but they received my application a week ago, and I haven't gotten any email that I'm complete.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If my LOR are being sent by VirtualEvals, do I need to do anything extra to guarantee that they receive them? I was under the assumption that I didn't, but they received my application a week ago, and I haven't gotten any email that I'm complete.
Don't worry they got mine just fine, just a bit after my application was in.
It was about 2 weeks between the we received your secondary application to the complete email.
I wouldn't stress too much over getting conformation that everything is in. Last year I submitted my Hopkins secondary very early (within the first two weeks) and had my LORs sent in mid July but I didn't hear that I was complete until August 13th. This delay didn't hurt me at all- I was offered an interview August 24th for their first week of interviews, so my application must have been reviewed early.
I hope that information helps, you all are in great shape timing wise. I think their office is just getting it together for our arrival in a few weeks, so they might not have as much time to sort through things and confirm everything.
I hope that information helps, you all are in great shape timing wise. I think their office is just getting it together for our arrival in a few weeks, so they might not have as much time to sort through things and confirm everything.
I guess I stressed out too early...I got the completion email this morning!
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: , II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: ?, II:?, I:?
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: , II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Hi Shemarty. I added C: 7/30 to your line. Based on your post, you are complete but it was missing the date.
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Hi Shemarty. I added C: 7/30 to your line. Based on your post, you are complete but it was missing the date.
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:?, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Ummm...as much as I wish I were complete, I'm not yet
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:?, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Ummm...as much as I wish I were complete, I'm not yet
I just submitted and will mail the paper copy tomorrow!
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
Just so you guys have an idea about timing, I submitted my secondary July 30th last year. My application wasn't complete for about a week--honestly, I don't remember.
I didn't get my interview invite for September 6th, the first day, until August 30th (by email). The admissions office knows that making last-minute travel plans is hard, so the first day or so is for more local candidates (MD/DC).
So take a breath, that secondary is loooong, you'll get invites in a little while (I hope!)
Best of luck and maybe I'll see you touring around!
I didn't get my interview invite for September 6th, the first day, until August 30th (by email). The admissions office knows that making last-minute travel plans is hard, so the first day or so is for more local candidates (MD/DC).
So take a breath, that secondary is loooong, you'll get invites in a little while (I hope!)
Best of luck and maybe I'll see you touring around!
Can we send in additional lor's for JHU?
I have a letter from premed advisor at my school but would like to send in 1-2 extra letters from professors... (from the wording on the JHU website, it looks like a no, but thought I'd double check here!)
I have a letter from premed advisor at my school but would like to send in 1-2 extra letters from professors... (from the wording on the JHU website, it looks like a no, but thought I'd double check here!)
B
Begaster
I've yet to receive their secondary. Primary verified on July 21st. I was about to call them, but I received Albany's this morning, so I'm considering that maybe they just haven't sent theirs out past a certain date yet.
Anyone know?
Anyone know?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've yet to receive their secondary. Primary verified on July 21st. I was about to call them, but I received Albany's this morning, so I'm considering that maybe they just haven't sent theirs out past a certain date yet.
Anyone know?
Not certain, but pretty sure I never received an email inviting me to do their secondary, I just went ahead and did it.
I put only my AAMC on the back of the photos.
i was too hasty in clicking through the end of the application, and missed the address for where we're supposed to send it. I went back and looked up the application directions, and they listed this general mailing address, is this the correct one? TY 😀
Committee on Admission
Johns Hopkins University SOM
Office of Admission, Broadway Research Bldg.
733 N Broadway, Guite G49
Baltimore, MD 21205
Committee on Admission
Johns Hopkins University SOM
Office of Admission, Broadway Research Bldg.
733 N Broadway, Guite G49
Baltimore, MD 21205
Last edited:
yep!i was too hasty in clicking through the end of the application, and missed the address for where we're supposed to send it. I went back and looked up the application directions, and they listed this general mailing address, is this the correct one? TY 😀
Committee on Admission
Johns Hopkins University SOM
Office of Admission, Broadway Research Bldg.
733 N Broadway, Guite G49
Baltimore, MD 21205
yep!
thankie! =)
It asks us to send a "payment voucher." I paid by credit card and got a payment receipt. Is this what I am supposed to send? So confused..
Anyone know the answer to this question?
hi, any help will be greatly appreciated.
1) if i've done community service in another country.. would i list it under "unpaid community service" and / or "extracurriculars, interests, and TRAVEL)? i feel like it fits into both...
2) if i did research during summer (for pay) and research during school year (unpaid), how would you suggest i split up the hours? i worked full-time during 3 summers and only part-time during the school years.
thank you!!
1) if i've done community service in another country.. would i list it under "unpaid community service" and / or "extracurriculars, interests, and TRAVEL)? i feel like it fits into both...
2) if i did research during summer (for pay) and research during school year (unpaid), how would you suggest i split up the hours? i worked full-time during 3 summers and only part-time during the school years.
thank you!!
T
TheVerve
hi, any help will be greatly appreciated.
1) if i've done community service in another country.. would i list it under "unpaid community service" and / or "extracurriculars, interests, and TRAVEL)? i feel like it fits into both...
2) if i did research during summer (for pay) and research during school year (unpaid), how would you suggest i split up the hours? i worked full-time during 3 summers and only part-time during the school years.
thank you!!
this is what i suggest....
1) put community service since I think that was your main focus
2)I would put the paid research under the "employment experience" tab and the other research in the "other experiences and interests --> unpaid volunteer" tab
When they ask about the area of medicine that you are interested in, are they referring to "areas" as in specialties? or "areas" as in academic medicine, private practice, public health, etc?
Anyone know how to check to see if our apps are complete? ApplyYourself just says everything in the secondary was submitted, but it's not obvious how to check if we are complete?
Anyone know how to check to see if our apps are complete? ApplyYourself just says everything in the secondary was submitted, but it's not obvious how to check if we are complete?
they say that they'll send an email when we're complete. this is what I got today:
"We have received your secondary application. If you have not yet sent letters of recommendation, please note they are due by December 1. You will be notified if any items are needed to complete your application. We will send an e-mail when your application is complete and ready for review by the Committee on Admission. "
yeah...i got that email a while back. still waiting on the complete email, though.they say that they'll send an email when we're complete. this is what I got today:
"We have received your secondary application. If you have not yet sent letters of recommendation, please note they are due by December 1. You will be notified if any items are needed to complete your application. We will send an e-mail when your application is complete and ready for review by the Committee on Admission. "
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey berk, when did you get that e-mail? I got mine 7/29 and am still waiting for the complete....yeah...i got that email a while back. still waiting on the complete email, though.
Hey berk, when did you get that e-mail? I got mine 7/29 and am still waiting for the complete....
I got the email 7/24, and still not complete.
do you guys think it would be bad if i described a rewarding experience from high school?
That is generally frowned upon. Usually you only use something from high school for a question like this if you continued it in college.
But if you really can't come up with anything else I guess I might still use it.
Good to know it's not just me. Thanks!I got the email 7/24, and still not complete.
does JHU normally send you an email after they receive your AMCAS? I was AMCAS verified on 7/04, and I have yet to receive any aknowledgement from JHU that they received my primary.
I never heard a thing.does JHU normally send you an email after they receive your AMCAS? I was AMCAS verified on 7/04, and I have yet to receive any aknowledgement from JHU that they received my primary.
does JHU normally send you an email after they receive your AMCAS? I was AMCAS verified on 7/04, and I have yet to receive any aknowledgement from JHU that they received my primary.
Did you check your mailbox? Within a week or two of submitting my AMCAS they will sent a couple of viewbooks about their school and a letter talking about their first year class, and their application process for the secondary, saying that they received my AMCAS. It came in a big envelope that was half blue and half white. I noticed a couple of schools (Brown, Washington University) did this instead of/or in addition to sending an e-mail. Hope this helps! If not, you might want to call them just to make sure they got it.
Oh thank you. I just called my parents and they said there was a large envelope from JHU. Not sure why they didn't call and tell me grr.
I'm almost ready to submit my secondary, but I can't complete a small part of it.
Is it bad if I submit it without giving information about my parents' education? They are out of the country right now and I can't reach them and I don't remember which universities they went to. It's shameful, I know, but my family immigrated here from a different country, so they went to foreign universities whose names I do not remember
Thanks a lot!
Is it bad if I submit it without giving information about my parents' education? They are out of the country right now and I can't reach them and I don't remember which universities they went to. It's shameful, I know, but my family immigrated here from a different country, so they went to foreign universities whose names I do not remember
Thanks a lot!
T
TheVerve
I'm almost ready to submit my secondary, but I can't complete a small part of it.
Is it bad if I submit it without giving information about my parents' education? They are out of the country right now and I can't reach them and I don't remember which universities they went to. It's shameful, I know, but my family immigrated here from a different country, so they went to foreign universities whose names I do not remember
Thanks a lot!
you could just write "foreign institution" or "institution in Munich, Germany".. I think they just want a feel for your parent's education (how much, if they went to JHU)
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: 8/26, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
Finally complete!
For you guys who have gotten the email of completion, how long did it take after your letters were sent in? I submitted my secondary and paper version back in June, and my letters were sent the first of this month, but I haven't heard anything from them. Definitely not worth calling cause they never pick up the damn phone.
For you guys who have gotten the email of completion, how long did it take after your letters were sent in? I submitted my secondary and paper version back in June, and my letters were sent the first of this month, but I haven't heard anything from them. Definitely not worth calling cause they never pick up the damn phone.
My LORs were sent in via VirtualEvals on 8/4, and I got the complete email 8/14.
For you guys who have gotten the email of completion, how long did it take after your letters were sent in? I submitted my secondary and paper version back in June, and my letters were sent the first of this month, but I haven't heard anything from them. Definitely not worth calling cause they never pick up the damn phone.
My letters were sent in as soon as I submitted - so around July 7 - then complete today.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: 8/26, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
rb09: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/4, C: 7/28, II: 8/27, I: 9/18
Sooo excited!!!!
Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II: 8/27, I 9/12
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: 8/26, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
rb09: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/4, C: 7/28, II: 8/27, I: 9/18
More than excited.
SS: Secondary Sent
PS: Paper-copy Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview
Rowerlauren: SS: 6/24, PS: 6/25, C: 7/24, II:?, I:?
dr drummer: SS: 6/29, PS: 6/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 6/30, PS:6/30, C:7/30, II:?, I:?
Vadd0: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/2, C: 7/24, II: 8/27, I 9/12
Shemarty: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/7, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
copingmethods: SS: 7/7, PS: 7/9, C: 8/26, II:?, I:?
Dr2Dr: SS: 7/3, PS: 7/10, C: 7/30, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/3, PS: 8/4, C: ??, II:?, I:?
rb09: SS: 7/2, PS: 7/4, C: 7/28, II: 8/27, I: 9/18
More than excited.
T
TheVerve
im literally shaking... i cant believe i got an interview invite!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG
congrats. The hardest part for you guys is getting into the school grounds safely
(j/k, but Hopkins on ABC made it look real scary)
(j/k, but Hopkins on ABC made it look real scary)
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K