2008-2009 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do u remember what sept date u were complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Great post! Thanks!

1. UIC, I'm not sold on. I hear good things about MCW and that it is similar to another school that I love and am WLed at: Creighton.

2. This requires a huge Baysean analysis of the total cost and chance of getting in. Time for Excel (or quick guess work).

3. Possibly. Depending on the interview. I really would go to MCW if a spot opened in June...Maybe even early July. I'm WLed at some good schools so I plan on waiting.

I guess I'm going to plan on going, but if I get into VCU or Miami before I will cancel.

Very good points for me to think about!

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Best of luck with the interview, have fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just gave up my interview spot. Someone else can have it...thank me later

Got an interview invite today, was origionally for the late march date, but was offered the early march date instead when I called. I'm on spring break then, and will visit family in Chicago that week, so there is no financial investment. I don't think I would have gone otherwise, since it's so late. Was smallpooled in the late september batch...the 28th or 29th, I think.

I just gave up my interview spot. Someone else can have it...thank me later

I always get a kick out of people who feel the need to post that they either canceled or declined an interview offer. Are you looking for a way to boost your own ego? Just curious!

I always get a kick out of people who feel the need to post that they either canceled or declined an interview offer. Are you looking for a way to boost your own ego? Just curious!

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with it. First, it could be a way of letting people know a new batch just went out. Second, it could give other people a sense of hope that they might be getting an interview. Northwestern was my second choice when I applied (no longer the case), and I didn't feel like anyone was bragging when they said they declined the interview.

With that said, I do agree that the Sandkon guy is coming off a little arrogant by saying "thank me later."

Got an interview invite today, was origionally for the late march date, but was offered the early march date instead when I called. I'm on spring break then, and will visit family in Chicago that week, so there is no financial investment. I don't think I would have gone otherwise, since it's so late. Was smallpooled in the late september batch...the 28th or 29th, I think.

its funny how we get an early spring break in canada.....i'm not complaining since i'm cuddled up on my bed for the winter lol....do u mind if i ask when were u complete in september?

Yeah, of course I love to boost my ego.
Spluuhhhh.

The "thank me later" part was just me being sarcastic. Sorry if it offended anyone. I was just letting people know that a new batch of interview invites went out (they are interviewing for alternate spots only)

Yeah, of course I love to boost my ego.
Spluuhhhh.

The "thank me later" part was just me being sarcastic. Sorry if it offended anyone. I was just letting people know that a new batch of interview invites went out (they are interviewing for alternate spots only)

oh ok...fair enough

Anyone know if MCW is done giving interview invites?

I just called and the person answering the phone said she thinks they are done handing out interviews. Hopefully she is wrong and people are still turning down interviews. Does anyone know if there is any chance they will extend their interview cycle into April? It seems like there are entire months of submitted applications they will not reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly doubt it. The previous interviews given were only for spots on the waitlist.

Interviews shold be done and are only for waitlist. I just interviewed two weeks ago and got on the waitlist. I hope there's lots of movement.

Interviews shold be done and are only for waitlist. I just interviewed two weeks ago and got on the waitlist. I hope there's lots of movement.

Interviews aren't done. Invites might be. I have an interview end of the month.

Yeah, I was at the interview yesterday (hi to anybody else that was, esp. Ashers), and the director of admissions said that they have one more interview date on the 27th, and that it was already full, so no more invites.

Ashers, if you see this, GOOD LUCK ON MATCHDAY!

Yeah, I was at the interview yesterday (hi to anybody else that was, esp. Ashers), and the director of admissions said that they have one more interview date on the 27th, and that it was already full, so no more invites.

Good luck! Nice to meet you! =)

Ashers, if you see this, GOOD LUCK ON MATCHDAY!

Thanks. =)

does anyone get rejected for waitlist interviews? meaning that they don't get on the waitlist?

Yes, people get rejected. Not everyone interviewing for the waitlist gets on the waitlist.

Does anyone remember what they said about whether or not the waitlist is ranked? I know it's ranked somehow, but I thought they did something different from the normal "list with #s" ranking.

Does anyone remember what they said about whether or not the waitlist is ranked? I know it's ranked somehow, but I thought they did something different from the normal "list with #s" ranking.
The director said we'd be given our ranks in quartiles, with the top quartile having a decent chance of getting in, and the next three being progressively lower.

Does anyone know when we can expect to find out about the rankings? Thanks.

I just got a call from Michael Istwan with an offer of acceptance. Totally unexpected, but he said the committee met today and took a few people off of the waitlist.

Hopefully it isn't any sort of April Fools Joke

I just got a call from Michael Istwan with an offer of acceptance. Totally unexpected, but he said the committee met today and took a few people off of the waitlist.

congrats, I doubt it's a joke that would be too cruel.

Yeah, I'm sure its real too, though I did double check to make sure the area code was the Milwaukee area. (What can I say, some of my friends have weird senses of humor...)

I'm really quite excited at this point, now that I have two acceptances. Woot! I have a decision to make before May 15 :D

Wow, they are already utilizing the waitlist this year!? I wonder if this year will be a good year for waitlist people unlike the previous two years. Looks like it so far.

Btw, congrats on the acceptance!

Haha well it could have been like UCSD on April 1...accidentally sent out "welcome to campus" emails to everyone who applied (even the 29,000 they already rejected). Then another email came 2 hrs later saying it was a mistake...yikes! (this was for undergrads)

Haha but I'm sure yours is not a joke. I got my "sorry we won't be able to interview you" email from MCW this morning...

Last edited:
Haha well it could have been like UCSD on April 1...accidentally sent out "welcome to campus" emails to everyone who applied (even the 29,000 they already rejected). Then another email came 2 hrs later saying it was a mistake...yikes!

Haha but I'm sure yours is not a joke. I got my "sorry we won't be able to interview you" email from MCW this morning...

if a school pulled that on me with phone call (not email like UCSD) I'd be so pissed and just withdraw.

Haha well it could have been like UCSD on April 1...accidentally sent out "welcome to campus" emails to everyone who applied (even the 29,000 they already rejected). Then another email came 2 hrs later saying it was a mistake...yikes! (this was for undergrads)

Hmm, I never got that email. They are done interviewing aren't they?

Did any of the applicants that received the smaller pool email end up getting an interview from mcw this year?

Did any of the applicants that received the smaller pool email end up getting an interview from mcw this year?

I was small-pooled early September and then interviewed in January.

i was also small pooled in Sept
interviewed in Feb (alternate list only)

I was actually small pooled in dec and got an interview invitation the very next day..

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet? Or know when they go out?

Has anyone received a financial aid award letter yet? Or know when they go out?

I don't think we (future M1s) will get award letters until June or July. We are lower on the priority list than M3/M4s who need money sooner than we do. At least that is what I remember from my phone call with them.

I don't think we (future M1s) will get award letters until June or July. We are lower on the priority list than M3/M4s who need money sooner than we do. At least that is what I remember from my phone call with them.

yeah that's what I was told as well...but they are notifying people about scholarship awards

yeah that's what I was told as well...but they are notifying people about scholarship awards

They should have some method of telling people if they DON'T get scholarships. I'd like to have confirmation I'm not getting one before I officially go elsewhere... They don't do that though do they?

About how long does it take to get the notification? I would love to hear back from financial aid before May 15 (they told me we'd know in early June), but I just submitted all of my paperwork a week ago. (Right after I got accepted)

Status
Not open for further replies.