2008-2009 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got accepted after the Jan 9 interview!!!....yayyy me...I was pretty skeptical of this cycle b/c of my 25MCAT...but your credentials before the interview really have no impact post interview. If they're good enough to get an interview, then knock that interview dead!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted after the Jan 9 interview!!!....yayyy me...I was pretty skeptical of this cycle b/c of my 25MCAT...but your credentials before the interview really have no impact post interview. If they're good enough to get an interview, then knock that interview dead!
Ohhhh I know who this is !!! lol...crazy. Without giving out names, I sat to your left during the lunch at MCW =] Hope you remember me :oops:

oh yeah...and CONGRATS on your huge acceptance!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

i do remember you Matt! Do you remember me talking about how I said someone "didn't have a pot to piss in" during my interview?? I got in anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do remember you Matt! Do you remember me talking about how I said someone "didn't have a pot to piss in" during my interview?? I got in anyway.
jaja yes i do remember that!
I remember asking you what that meant during the shuttle back to the airport too. You kids and your crazy lingo these days ;)
Joking aside though--I'm very glad they saw how great a person you are and reserved a seat for you in their class, I got really good vibes from you right away and I thought you'd make a great physician. . .despite my assumptions that you were a high school cheerleader at first lol:laugh:

jaja yes i do remember that!
I remember asking you what that meant during the shuttle back to the airport too. You kids and your crazy lingo these days ;)
Joking aside though--I'm very glad they saw how great a person you are and reserved a seat for you in their class, I got really good vibes from you right away and I thought you'd make a great physician. . .despite my assumptions that you were a high school cheerleader at first lol:laugh:

Pictures please, or it didn't happen.

CONGRATS!!!

I just saw ur MD applicants profile......did u get any inerviews after sending in updates? when were you complete at MCW?...

Pictures please, or it didn't happen.
sorry, I didn't manage to take any candid photos of her...

The story is; when I arrived at the airport, I saw a group of young women sitting on the floor near a particular baggage claim area where applicants were scheduled to meet. Earlier that day, I saw a group of women with similar demographics at an airport whose conversation I also happened to overhear. They were talking about trying out for a big-time dance squad.

So now my mindset is: "group of young women hanging around in airports" = cheerleaders or dancers en route to a big tryout for something.

Then I overheard this group (sitting on the floor at the Milwaukee airport) mention something about a shuttle. I casually butted myself into their group and made friends with the 'cheerleaders.' :)

PS: GloryField, just from the subtle hint in your post...I'll say that 'yes--she is very pretty.' Consider yourself lucky to have the option to go school with her :thumbup:

PS: GloryField, just from the subtle hint in your post...I'll say that 'yes--she is very pretty.' Consider yourself lucky to have the option to go school with her :thumbup:

I am unable to validate this claim without pictures

Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that at the interviews yesterday the director of admissions said that it was the last group acceptances would be offered to. The remaining interviews will be for the wait list. sry if this is bad news for some of you, but hand in there! MCW is a great place and waitlists are always used to fill classes

I got an interview for the waitlist for Feb 20th. I am still completely unsure if it is worth going, but I'm going anyway. Seriously, what are the chances of getting in from an interview for the waitlist???

I got an interview for the waitlist for Feb 20th. I am still completely unsure if it is worth going, but I'm going anyway. Seriously, what are the chances of getting in from an interview for the waitlist???

when did u get the invite? today?....

It's totally dependent on the year. Who knows, maybe there'll be tons of waitlist movement this year.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you have yet to receive an acceptance, then you should go to every interview (even for a waitlist spot). You just never know what will happen.

just interviewed there last friday (1/23). so amazed at their turnaround. they said the decisions are mailed out the friday after your interview. compared to the 2 1/2 months of minnesota...i've had 6 interviews but on 2 waitlists and still waiting for the rest...first post for me btw

Good luck evel! You might receive an email acceptance on friday, otherwise the final decision letter should come on Saturday if your mailing address is in wisconsin.

GloryField, do they email acceptances? I thought it was letter only

yea. Sometimes they email you to let you know, and then the mail letter comes a day later

Regarding receiving an e-mail versus a snail mail decision...my understanding is the only time they sent out an e-mail was for those who interviewed the week before Thanksgiving. Since the following week was a holiday, they did not receive their snail mail decisions until TWO weeks after the interview, and as a courtesy, MCW sent out e-mails two Fridays after the interview (the same day they sent out the decision letters). Unless there has been some other occasion where people received e-mail decisions, I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. Hope that helps keep ppl from refreshing their e-mail too much :)

Good luck evel! You might receive an email acceptance on friday, otherwise the final decision letter should come on Saturday if your mailing address is in wisconsin.

thanks glory! i'm having the letter sent to me in nashville since im finishing up school down here. hopefully that means ill get the letter by at least tuesday or wednesday. unless they do send an email for some reason then i wont have to be paranoid thru the weekend lol. thanks for the update mj4. i def wont give my hopes up on an email now haha

It seems like sometimes they send emails. I interviewed on 12/12 and received an email a week later on 12/19 that I was accepted. Maybe because it was so close to Christmas. I also don't think that you will get an email if you are rejected. I could be wrong however. I guess my point is to say that you shouldn't expect an email, but it may come.

Just got an email from Mike. Accepted from the Jan 23rd interview!!!! Good luck to you all!:luck::thumbup::)

Just got an email from Mike. Accepted from the Jan 23rd interview!!!! Good luck to you all!:luck::thumbup::)

congrats! What other acceptances you have? Any chance we will meet at MCW?

Congrats!!! I also got an email :) I'm OOS working at MCW in research.

No email yet for me :( Do you think they were all sent at the same time?

No email yet for me :( Do you think they were all sent at the same time?

im with u sleepy. it seems from previous pages it was random times when they sent out emails. my guess is if its for out of staters because the mail takes longer? i dunno.

im with u sleepy. it seems from previous pages it was random times when they sent out emails. my guess is if its for out of staters because the mail takes longer? i dunno.

Buts its EMAIL, it should all take the same amount of time. This sucks, I thought it went really well and I liked the school. I did however find someone on this thread that got accepted w/o an email so maybe there is hope. That doesn't make sense though :(

Buts its EMAIL, it should all take the same amount of time. This sucks, I thought it went really well and I liked the school. I did however find someone on this thread that got accepted w/o an email so maybe there is hope. That doesn't make sense though :(

I think the poster meant that OOS get emails since regular mail would take longer to arrive, that way, they find out about the same time as people who live closer.
Don't lose hope, there were several people in thread earlier that got the acceptance packet without the email. It seems inconsistent and baffling, since Istwan explicitly said that emails would not be sent for notification.

I think the poster meant that OOS get emails since regular mail would take longer to arrive, that way, they find out about the same time as people who live closer.
Don't lose hope, there were several people in thread earlier that got the acceptance packet without the email. It seems inconsistent and baffling, since Istwan explicitly said that emails would not be sent for notification.
OH ok, thanks for clarification. Unfortunately that does not help me, I am out of state without an email.

OH ok, thanks for clarification. Unfortunately that does not help me, I am out of state without an email.

sorry yea thats what i meant. but ive seen on many other pages here that people got in without an email. so id just wait for the regular mail.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be one set method of notification.

Good luck! :xf::xf:

I got an acceptance email at 9:20 am.:):clap: goodluck everyone

Hey everyone, so I just got an invite for an interview today...but I will be interviewing only for the alternate list. I was just wondering if anyone knows how likely they are to pick students from the waitlist, or would I be wasting my time going to the interview.

its not a waste of time if you haven't been accepted to a MD school yet

Hey everyone, so I just got an invite for an interview today...but I will be interviewing only for the alternate list. I was just wondering if anyone knows how likely they are to pick students from the waitlist, or would I be wasting my time going to the interview.

did u get it for the beginning of march or end of march date??

Got the acceptance packet today (after email on Friday). I'm OOS but relatively close to Wis.

Sctennis: I almost didn't go to the MCW interview. I had a prior acceptance and figured I had a small small chance of being accepted at this point, so was debating just being done with the process. However seeing that I could drive and use the student host program, and it would cost next to nothing, I decided to go. I really really liked the school a lot, and it ended up working out. Give it a shot if it won't be to costly...

Waitlist after 1/23 interview.

Curious.. has anyone who has interviewed been complete around/after late september? Or have all invites gone to ppl being complete before mid sept?

I was complete in early november. needless to say, i was quite surprised to get an interview offer since they place so much emphasis on early apps!

Just got an invite today, complete in September. I have an acceptance to UIC and two DO schools, does anyone know how much the wait list moved the past few years...?

Just got an invite today, complete in September. I have an acceptance to UIC and two DO schools, does anyone know how much the wait list moved the past few years...?

I can appreciate your sentiment here, but I think there may be other issues to weight first before wait list movement.

1- Would you prefer to be at MCW over UIC and the 2 DO schools?
2- Is the investment to go to the interview (cost, time) greater than the reward (experience, possible acceptance)?
3- Even if the wait list moves a lot, and you get a spot in June or July, would you be able to get out of the lease you sign in preparation for the other school you choose, so on and so on (would you really go to MCW if a spot opens up fairly late)?

Good luck

I can appreciate your sentiment here, but I think there may be other issues to weight first before wait list movement.

1- Would you prefer to be at MCW over UIC and the 2 DO schools?
2- Is the investment to go to the interview (cost, time) greater than the reward (experience, possible acceptance)?
3- Even if the wait list moves a lot, and you get a spot in June or July, would you be able to get out of the lease you sign in preparation for the other school you choose, so on and so on (would you really go to MCW if a spot opens up fairly late)?

Good luck

Great post! Thanks!

1. UIC, I'm not sold on. I hear good things about MCW and that it is similar to another school that I love and am WLed at: Creighton.

2. This requires a huge Baysean analysis of the total cost and chance of getting in. Time for Excel (or quick guess work).

3. Possibly. Depending on the interview. I really would go to MCW if a spot opened in June...Maybe even early July. I'm WLed at some good schools so I plan on waiting.

I guess I'm going to plan on going, but if I get into VCU or Miami before I will cancel.

Very good points for me to think about!

if u dont mind, is this for the early or late march date?

Status
Not open for further replies.