2008-2009 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Secondary Application Thre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How are their invites usually sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I think you will be fine. Your MCAT is outstanding and is sure to go up some, and your GPA is slightly below average.

I would suggest developing a relationship with a professor or two at Cornell that seems cool and that you are genuinely interested in their class. This way LOR's will be no sweat.

My GPA was decently far above MUSC's average, and my MCAT was just below the average and I got accepted. This seems to be the opposite for you as you will likely have a pretty high MCAT compared to the average and a slightly below average GPA.

What I think helped me was EC's and great LOR's.

You still have a year and a half before you apply, you can get your GPA up atleast a little (if not I still think you will be fine), start some volunteering at a local hospital, get to know some professors (research is a great avenue for this, and it also looks great on your application), and assuming you can interview decently I think you will be a great candidate.

Good luck!

Did you apply Early Decision or Regular?

scarterinscrubs: How are their invites usually sent out?

I got an e-mail telling me what date it would be. (Didn't ask, just told me a date, hopefully I can make it)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply Early Decision or Regular?

Early, which I think helped in some ways. This year they had a GPA cutoff of 3.6 (I think, maybe 3.5) and 28 MCAT. So that actually narrowed the EDP selection pool if you at least met the criteria to be interviewed.

either way, I think that as long as either your GPA and MCAT are above or close to average and you have good EC's and LOR'S you have a great shot (If you can interview decently)

I speculate that a lot more emphasis is put on this part of your application than most people think, which is why I suggest getting involved with things your truly passionate about early on in college.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Early, which I think helped in some ways. This year they had a GPA cutoff of 3.6 (I think, maybe 3.5) and 28 MCAT. So that actually narrowed the EDP selection pool if you at least met the criteria to be interviewed.

either way, I think that as long as either your GPA and MCAT are above or close to average and you have good EC's and LOR'S you have a great shot (If you can interview decently)

I speculate that a lot more emphasis is put on this part of your application than most people think, which is why I suggest getting involved with things your truly passionate about early on in college.

Again, this is just my opinion.

The cutoff, that's for an interview with EDP, right?

Yes, JUST for EDP. And honestly I heard that through another applicant who heard it from someone on the admissions committee.... so the validity of that is probably questionable, but im pretty sure its true.

anyone else get an invite recently? i just did.

Hey wazzoo, a few questions. When did you apply? When are you scheduled to interview? What's your MCAT & GPA?

Thanks, the longer I wait the more nervous I get.:scared:

Hey wazzoo, a few questions. When did you apply? When are you scheduled to interview? What's your MCAT & GPA?

Thanks, the longer I wait the more nervous I get.:scared:

Hi

I sent you a private message with some answers and explanations.

waz

Wanda said at my interview in Dec. that they would not meet until the end of January. if it really is the last Tuesday of every month than that was today and we should hear something tomorrow. Just wanted to pass it on to anyone who has not heard yet. good luck!

Wanda said at my interview in Dec. that they would not meet until the end of January. if it really is the last Tuesday of every month than that was today and we should hear something tomorrow. Just wanted to pass it on to anyone who has not heard yet. good luck!

Hey! Anyone heard anything today? Just curious. I'm not really expecting to hear anything since I'm on "hold", but I am a little hopeful! Good luck everyone!

I received a Fin Aid Package/email yesterday, and I haven't even been invited for an interview.
Do they send this to all applicants?

I received a Fin Aid Package/email yesterday, and I haven't even been invited for an interview.
Do they send this to all applicants?

Yeah I got that, too, and I haven't been accepted. I don't think you have to do anything with it until you're accepted though.

Yeah I got that, too, and I haven't been accepted. I don't think you have to do anything with it until you're accepted though.

I got the same email. I think that everyone did that applied. MILK07, have you gotten any feedback on your hold status? I am on hold as well. Have you talked to anyone? What are the chances of getting off the hold list? I am OOS--from NC. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email. I think that everyone did that applied. MILK07, have you gotten any feedback on your hold status? I am on hold as well. Have you talked to anyone? What are the chances of getting off the hold list? I am OOS--from NC. Thanks!

Sigh, no feedback since the initial letter telling me I was on hold. I think they said not to expect much until March. I sent a Letter of Intent about a month ago, too. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!:xf:

I received an email today stating that I was on hold :( I guess that should be expected as an OOS.

Interviewed Jan 9th

Does anyone know what happens next? When might we hear something again?

I would guess that we won't hear anything until March. Does the ADCOM meet in Feb?

Did anyone hear? I'm on hold too. :( boo. Does anyone know about what should be included in a letter of intent, and if there is anything else I should do while on hold? Thanks, best of luck to you all.

Did anyone hear? I'm on hold too. :( boo. Does anyone know about what should be included in a letter of intent, and if there is anything else I should do while on hold? Thanks, best of luck to you all.

So was everyone put on hold yesterday? Someone had to get in! At least I have some company in the "on hold" category.

I don't really know what else to do while on hold. I sent an update letter and a letter of intent. I just outlined why I really like MUSC and why I think I would fit in/be an asset, hopefully without sounding too full of myself!

If anyone else has any other ideas of things to do, I would love to hear them!

I interviewed in december (but they didn't meet) so I expected to hear something yesterday...not a peep.

So was everyone put on hold yesterday? Someone had to get in! At least I have some company in the "on hold" category.

I don't really know what else to do while on hold. I sent an update letter and a letter of intent. I just outlined why I really like MUSC and why I think I would fit in/be an asset, hopefully without sounding too full of myself!

If anyone else has any other ideas of things to do, I would love to hear them!

I actually found out that I was on hold in December. Have any OOS people gotten in? MILK07, it sounds like you have done everything you can. Let's just all hope for the best.

Best of luck to you guys, must be a long wait (i was bitting my nails over getting into undergrad, I cant imagine this).

I know its probaly not something you all want to talk about, but being the type who is motivated enough to apply to med school I know its something you've gone over in your head 1000 times (heck I have and im only a sophmore).

If things don't work out this year what will you be doing to strengthen your application for next year (assuming you plan to re-apply).

Got an Interview Invite this past Friday.

Now I am extremely nervous.

Anyone else get the Financial Aid info email today?

I'm from NC and was just notified about an interview. My only "tie" to the state is that my grandparents lived there for approximately 20 years, but with my stats I assume I had to have been considered as having close ties. I'm excited though!! Congrats to all who have already heard.

Just received an interview today via email. I was complete back in late August OOS. Wasn't expecting one, but excited none-the-less. Close ties.

Anyone interviewed this past Friday, 2/13/09?

I was there and had a great time. Now its time to wait on a decision.

I interviewed on 2/13/09 too. Loved it. Only a week and half until we hear back?

I hope so. I also hope to hear some good news. Wish you luck Morr.

Got this email yesterday.....:(

Dear Applicant to the MUSC College of Medicine-

After a thorough review of your file, I am very sorry to inform you that the Admissions Committee will be unable to consider your application further. The fact that you do not qualify for interviews at MUSC this year is not meant to reflect negatively on you. It simply means that your academic background (either grades, MCAT score, or both) fall below the cutoff established by the Admissions Committee to predict successful performance in medical school.

This year’s application process was extremely competitive. The average GPA of the admitted class currently is 3.68 and the average MCAT score is 30. The number of applications received was higher than in past years and the cutoff for interviews had to be raised to accommodate this larger applicant pool. (Some of the applicants who were interviewed for last year’s entering class were not eligible for 2009 interviews because of the raised academic cutoff. If you were in this group of applicants, we are extremely sorry.)

We are grateful for your interest in the College of Medicine at MUSC and sincerely hope you will be able to improve your application and apply next year as a more competitive student.

:(

I was also interviewed 02-13-09. It was really laid back. But of course the nervousness is setting in now.

Good luck to everyone who just interviewed!

MD2BENSC: Sorry to hear that... :( Hope another school works out for you!

I'm not applying to schools until next cycle but am really interested in MUSC... do you list ties to the school on the secondary? My mom went to MUSC for nursing and her family are from SC and most live in charleston but I am from NC... is this a close enough tie for me to be considered w./ below avg. numbers? thanks, sorry to post off topic but couldnt think of anywhere else to post

That is very good close ties, in my opinion. If you don't mind me asking though, how low is below average numbers? Typically OOS you need close to a 30 MCAT and a relatively high GPA (above 3.7 or so I would think, but don't quote me on it). Again, this is my opinion. Give the admissions office a call and talk to them, they are very helpful. just don't get discouraged, even if you are below the numbers I said.

However, if you get an interview and do really well then I think you probably have a great shot. If you want it bad enough, and work hard enough for it, and they see that, then you probably have a good shot. Just don't lose hope!

So, this is the last tuesday of the month, right? Maybe some of us will finally hear.
I've been on hold since the end of November. Luckily, I heard from USC med in Columbia three days after I interviewed at MUSC, so I havent been as tense as some I assume.

Does anyone know the normal day/time acceptances go out? I'm trying not to be the person that checks their email 54253476x a day.

Does anyone know the normal day/time acceptances go out? I'm trying not to be the person that checks their email 54253476x a day.

They told us it would be Wednesday (tomorrow specifically) but didn't give a time.

I haven't heard anything yet. I am a nervous wreck too, eek! Hopefully we won't have to wait until tomorrow. Good Luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.