2008-2009 Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who updated your activities and fall grades, how did you go about it? Email? Letter? Attachments to email?

I sent an update by attaching a MS Word document to an e-mail. I got a response back from them about three days later saying they added it to my file.

Members don't see this ad.

I also just sent in an update and received confirmation. I don't post much in this forum because I really do feel I have little chance to get an invite here (OOS, average stats).

Question:

Do all applicants get deferred to Feb. or has the committee been sending out rejections and cutting the pool down? Just curious, because I have heard nothing since September and wanted to know if I still have a fighting chance.

I remember reading earlier in this thread that people are getting rejected. I'm not sure, but I think they were post interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading earlier in this thread that people are getting rejected. I'm not sure, but I think they were post interview.

I have also heard that it is only post interview right now.

Has anyone submitted their fafsa to MSU yet? If so, what happens after they process it?

i must have accidently deleted my email, what is the website for the status page again?

Thank you for the tip. If you google "MSU CHM status AIS" it dosn't come up at all.

So anyone know where they will be living? I think I am decided on Berrytree... they were the only ones I found that had leases starting in Aug. 1st... (b/c of orientation)... everyone else had Aug. 28th.....

Tomorrow is the first AdCom sesh post the interview. Anxxiousssss :xf::xf::confused:

That was my timeline for hearing back. Good Luck guys!

That makes me even more nervous! I thought that if I didn't get a call tonight, I would tell myself it was just because they didn't get to my file yet... but maybe that's not the case. I really liked MSU and am really hoping for an acceptance there. This is going to be a loooooong afternoon/night :scared:

That makes me even more nervous! I thought that if I didn't get a call tonight, I would tell myself it was just because they didn't get to my file yet... but maybe that's not the case. I really liked MSU and am really hoping for an acceptance there. This is going to be a loooooong afternoon/night :scared:

Sorry about that, wasn't my intention. If you don't get news tonight though, don't give up hope AT ALL because it probably doesn't mean anything. Just wanted to let you know there was a possibility of hearing tonight IF they get to your application and accept you. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that, wasn't my intention. If you don't get news tonight though, don't give up hope AT ALL because it probably doesn't mean anything. Just wanted to let you know there was a possibility of hearing tonight IF they get to your application and accept you. :luck:

Don't worry about it - I would have been nervous no matter what anyway. Thanks for all the info and encouragement!

My application previously allowed me to review my secondary app essays and no longer does. Has anyone else noticed this?

Are we allowed to send updates??

I would have by now, but the secondary told us not to.

So they should have started looking over deferred applicants by now. What day do they normally send interview invites out?

Mbe36,

Definitely send in an update. The admissions office was very polite and seemed enthusiastic about receiving my update. At this point, what do you have to lose?

My application previously allowed me to review my secondary app essays and no longer does. Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed this... I was going to print my responses to the questions before the interview, but I was no longer able to do it.

Did you send it by email?

I asked about sending updates, and they told me to do it by email.

Hello all, Im an OOS applicant and i just received an interview for march 19th. For the OOS interviewees, where did you stay and how did you get there (detriot or lansing airport)? I was told I should fly into detriot and take the bus to lansing... it seems cheaper. Thank you!

Hello all, Im an OOS applicant and i just received an interview for march 19th. For the OOS interviewees, where did you stay and how did you get there (detriot or lansing airport)? I was told I should fly into detriot and take the bus to lansing... it seems cheaper. Thank you!

I'm not an OOS-er, but from what I do know -- Really, the best deals will be to fly into DTW and then you can take the commuter service called the Michigan Flyer (google it). There is the Flint airport that is closer but I don't think you will have the option to use the Flyer. Sorry! That's all the knowledge i know!

I haven't taken it, but my husband said taking the bus is really nice. I guess they have free WiFi.

I stayed at the Quality Inn University. It's close, nicer than it looks from the outside, and they serve a full breakfast. And they have a pool and bar, if that's for you. I would stay there again.

Interview coming up for OOS - any advice on what to focus on during interview? Feel free to PM or post. I'd really love to hear from some of the people who've been accepted so far, especially OOS!

Interview coming up for OOS - any advice on what to focus on during interview? Feel free to PM or post. I'd really love to hear from some of the people who've been accepted so far, especially OOS!

just be yourself and know your application. they just want to get a feel for who you actually are as a person. got asked a few ethical questions but nothing hardcore. oh and make sure you know "why msu?" and "why medicine". :luck: good luck!

is MSU still sending interview invites? does anyone know?? thanks!

Has anyone been offered a third interview? Apparently there was a discrepancy in my interview ratings... just wondering if the 3rd interviewer asks specifically about things mentioned to the first interviewers or if it is the same line of questioning mentioned here on SDN specific to the initial interview date. I guess the third interview means I still have a chance? I loved CHM and would accept in a heartbeat! Keep your fingers crossed!

I flew into Lansing and stayed at the Kellogg Conference Center. Flight was around $400 and the conference center has a deal for interviews- $85/night including a shuttle to/from the airport and to/from my interview (cheaper than other places I found). Beware the campus is enormous so you probably won't be able to walk to the interview site. Also, Detroit is only and hour and a half and Grand Rapids is an hour- might be worth it if you rent a car and just stay one night. You can arrange student stays, just contact the admissions office. Good luck!

Has anyone been offered a third interview? Apparently there was a discrepancy in my interview ratings... just wondering if the 3rd interviewer asks specifically about things mentioned to the first interviewers or if it is the same line of questioning mentioned here on SDN specific to the initial interview date. I guess the third interview means I still have a chance? I loved CHM and would accept in a heartbeat! Keep your fingers crossed!

I was just offered a third interview as well. I should be doing mine sometime next week. If I interview before you, I will let you what know kind of questions they asked.

2bmed and Zigpig - do you mind my asking when your original interviews were? I interviewed two weeks ago. My faculty interview, in my opinion, went absolutely amazing, but I thought my student interview was only so-so. I thought I might possibly be a candidate for a third interview, so I'm just wondering if I should be hearing something soon if that's the case.

Thanks!

2bmed and Zigpig - do you mind my asking when your original interviews were?

My interview was 1/15. I thought the faculty interview went very well. I thought the student interview was good - it did not flow as smoothly, which is understandable since the first year student probably did not have too much interviewing experience. I was very comfortable at CHM, and I think the the student interviewer must have been more nervous than me :laugh:

Last edited:
2bmed and Zigpig - do you mind my asking when your original interviews were? I interviewed two weeks ago. My faculty interview, in my opinion, went absolutely amazing, but I thought my student interview was only so-so. I thought I might possibly be a candidate for a third interview, so I'm just wondering if I should be hearing something soon if that's the case.

Thanks!

I interviewed Jan 22. Same thing, faculty interview went well student interview so-so. Will let you all know what happens with #3.

Did anyone ever find out if there is any truth to the previous statement that interviews through March are only for waitlist spots?

MSU-CHM is semi-rolling. I wouldn't say that interviews in March are only for waitlist spots. The below is from the status page for MSU, and in the experience of those from my undergrad, a large percentage of whom matriculate to MSU, it is very true. I know plenty of people from past years who have interviewed in February or March and been outright accepted.

"CHM has a semi-rolling admissions process. Acceptances are made in stages throughout the cycle, but applicants are given the same consideration no matter when they are reviewed or interviewed. Some applicants will receive notification early in the cycle, and others will not receive a final application status until the end of the cycle. Please be aware that CHM conducts interviews through March, and our admissions process is structured so that seats remain available who are reviewed and interviewed later in the application cycle, and applicants are not negatively affected by the timing of the application review."

To all that have been accepted and def. are going to MSU CHM : come join the facebook group at :
MSU-CHM c/o 2013

&

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to get in!!!!

Does anyone know when they stop sending out interview invites? My status hasn't changed since I completed my secondary way back in August. :smack:

That was half a year ago! Anyone else annoyed by this? :bullcrap:

I did my third interview today.

I don't feel like the interviewer was asking any follow up questions from the original interview, or any things that might contradict your original interviews, or any 'gotcha' type questions. It was like the original interviews - laid back, easy questions. This interview with a faculty member was again better than the student interview.

Yay! I got my call around 7:30pm (Arizona time)! I cannot wait to meet the rest of the class! Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those that have gotten in!

I did my third interview today.

I don't feel like the interviewer was asking any follow up questions from the original interview, or any things that might contradict your original interviews, or any 'gotcha' type questions. It was like the original interviews - laid back, easy questions. This interview with a faculty member was again better than the student interview.

Was it soon after your Interview Day that you received a 'callback' for a third interview? I haven't heard from MSU as of yet, and I'm hoping they get to my file (and that I hear good news) after the next AdCom meeting :xf:

Was it soon after your Interview Day that you received a 'callback' for a third interview? I haven't heard from MSU as of yet, and I'm hoping they get to my file (and that I hear good news) after the next AdCom meeting :xf:

I interviewed on 1/15 and I was asked to come back for a third interview on 2/9. I was surprised that they had not gotten to my file until that point, but I am happy they gave me another opportunity. Good Luck to you!

Got an interview.

Last edited:
5000 applications

500 interviews

156 spots...

Anyone else intimidated? :rofl:

5000 applications

500 interviews

156 spots...

Anyone else intimidated? :rofl:

Are you you being sarcastic and trying to say it's comparatively easy to get in?? :confused:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and think you meant that it's quite difficult... I mean, yea, there are schools with acceptance rates under 3 percent, but I'd still say the CHM is pretty selective in finding students that fit.

Are you you being sarcastic and trying to say it's comparatively easy to get in?? :confused:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and think you meant that it's quite difficult... I mean, yea, there are schools with acceptance rates under 3 percent, but I'd still say the CHM is pretty selective in finding students that fit.

Not at all...I think it's very competitive. If it was the choice of the smiley face that threw you off-I felt it best captured my insanity in this process.

I don't know other school's stats off the top of my head. It's just nuts to think that on interview day the people I was alongside were representative of only 10% of all applicants....and then to think that out of our group only 3% would get accepted is incredibly daunting.

Not at all...I think it's very competitive. If it was the choice of the smiley face that threw you off-I felt it best captured my insanity in this process.

I don't know other school's stats off the top of my head. It's just nuts to think that on interview day the people I was alongside were representative of only 10% of all applicants....and then to think that out of our group only 3% would get accepted is incredibly daunting.

I apologize for my misread. It was the smiley that did it, though I do appreciate your use of an awesome smiley. The odds of this process are ridiculously intimidating... Dean Shafer's presentation freaked me out. :eek:

Did anyone else get asked what other schools they had been accepted to in their interview? I answered honestly and I'm hoping this does not affect whether I'm offered an acceptance.

Did anyone else get asked what other schools they had been accepted to in their interview? I answered honestly and I'm hoping this does not affect whether I'm offered an acceptance.

no. i think that would make me very uncomfortable. but likely would lead into "why michigan instead of X,Y,Z?". which you better have given a good answer for that. :)

withdrew my interview invite earlier this week
hope somebody got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.