2008 - 2009 New York Medical College Secondary Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they are going to switch from Thurs acceptances to Monday acceptances... Or maybe people will hear later today

Members don't see this ad.

91 members in the nymc class of 2013 facebook group now. I wonder approximately how many more acceptances they will need to hand out before filling up the class.

yeah but NYMC usually has a class of about ~190 so there should still be quite a few spots.. i dont think the facebook group is a good indication of how full the class is

Members don't see this ad :)
just got accepted... i looked over at my blackberry when i was halfasleep and saw the email... still cant believe it.. accepting the acceptance

my stats were 32Q, 3.35 undergrad, 3.55 masters, bcpm i think was ~3.3

I'M IN!!!

First acceptance in three years! I'm in shock right now. I'm accepting the offer.:D:D:D:D:D

MCAT 33M, undergrad GPA 3.49, Grad GPA 3.63
BCPM ~3.45

I'm going to enjoy the rest of my summer now!

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting. Things will work out if you just keep at it.

Just accepted this morning!!! What a great relief since I had planned on submitting AMCAS...again this week. 31R 3.4 GPA

Good luck to all who are still waiting. It ain't over until its over.

accepted at 8:30AM, there is still hope for everyone waiting!

Good luck to those on the wait-list and congrats to everyone accepted!!!

Congrats to those of you who got accepted this morning. I'm still waiting on my first one. When did you guys interview at NYMC?

Accepted!!!!! My only acceptance so I am taking it!!!! So freaking pumped!!!!!!!!

3.4 undergrad (both), 3.9 grad (one year of two years complete), 32M, interviewed 2/26, one LOI, two update letters... Let me know if I'm leaving anything out.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread! Without you I would have given up a long time ago :)

Accepted!!!!! My only acceptance so I am taking it!!!! So freaking pumped!!!!!!!!

3.4 undergrad (both), 3.9 grad (one year of two years complete), 32M, interviewed 2/26, one LOI, two update letters... Let me know if I'm leaving anything out.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread! Without you I would have given up a long time ago :)

are they making you finish the grad program? are you deferring? just wondering bc most schools dont let you leave a program mid program

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when registration/orientation will be? i'm trying to plan a vacation and I want to make sure I am back in time

anyone know when registration/orientation will be? i'm trying to plan a vacation and I want to make sure I am back in time

90% it is august 1st this year

Accepted today, interviewed around December. Does anyone know how clinical rotations are determined and what is the quality of the affiliated hospitals?

Accepted today, interviewed around December. Does anyone know how clinical rotations are determined and what is the quality of the affiliated hospitals?

Here's the list:

http://nymc.edu/fhp/faculty/online/affil.asp

Your main hospitals will be Westchester Medical Center (Westchester, obviously) and St Vincent's (Manhattan).

Clinical spots are given out by lottery (computer printout, like the real match), and then students trade with each other. About half the class moves into the city for third year.

Thanks so much SouthFL! I interviewed the same day as you, but I don't remember anyone from Florida?

I am from Rochester NY, but before I was accepted to NYMC off the waitlist, I was going to attend a DO school in Fort Lauderdale... now I am too lazy to set up a new account! :p

Congrats again, so excited to meet everyone in August!

For the person asking about orientation.. I got an e-mail about it today. Registration is Aug 3rd, orientation is Aug 4th-7th.

yay! I got in yesterday with the group! Big WL movement.

I have a question, how long do we have to respond? I am happy about the acceptance but this puts me in a tough spot because I hold another acceptance at a different medical school. Both schools I like very much.

Anyone know how housing is handled? One of my cons to NYMC is living in "dorm style" housing. Though I am sure NYMC students are great people, being slightly older I think I may be done with the dorm life. Throw in a significant other and this complicates matters.

Remembering from the interview, practically all first years live on campus. I also dont want to be the outcast that lives offcampus. From the webpage it is a first come first serve basis. Is there even room?

Anyways I'm excited! I have choices! Hopefully I will be able to free up a spot for someone within a few days.

yay! I got in yesterday with the group! Big WL movement.

I have a question, how long do we have to respond? I am happy about the acceptance but this puts me in a tough spot because I hold another acceptance at a different medical school. Both schools I like very much.

Anyone know how housing is handled? One of my cons to NYMC is living in "dorm style" housing. Though I am sure NYMC students are great people, being slightly older I think I may be done with the dorm life. Throw in a significant other and this complicates matters.

Remembering from the interview, practically all first years live on campus. I also dont want to be the outcast that lives offcampus. From the webpage it is a first come first serve basis. Is there even room?

Anyways I'm excited! I have choices! Hopefully I will be able to free up a spot for someone within a few days.

Med students get first priority with dorm housing. I think just about everyone who wants it gets something. I know MPH students living on campus and they're lower priority.

Most people live on campus, but there are plenty others who live at home or in the nearby towns. Especially after year 1. There are pros and cons either way. I, for one, like to get away. Plenty of mingling in the BSB and "designated assembly areas".

Gplex (or other current NYMC students) I have some questions on the housing:

1. Do the rooms come with shades/blinds? Or do you need to buy them?

2. Do people put bbq's and lawn chairs on the balcony? Do all apartments come with balconies?

3. Do you get a key to lock the door to your room when you are out?

4. Are the individual bedrooms assigned or is it first come, first serve?

5. Besides clothes, electronics, books, lamps, etc... is there any furniture you think is needed?

6. Where does the garbage go? Like do you have to bring it to some dump or is there a room?

7. Are there good places to order-in, or is it just pizza?

8. Is there a cleaning service for the common areas?

haha, sorry if these are silly but I have been out of school for so long, I don't remember what the dorms are like.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
anyone know how long it takes to get all the paperwork sent to the house? i want to get all the stuff like a physical done as well as the housing application so i can leave for my trip.. not much time to travel considering school starts in one month!! i dont want to waste any days.. thank you!

anyone know how long it takes to get all the paperwork sent to the house? i want to get all the stuff like a physical done as well as the housing application so i can leave for my trip.. not much time to travel considering school starts in one month!! i dont want to waste any days.. thank you!
I got mine about a week and a half after I got the e-mail.

I got mine about a week and a half after I got the e-mail.

Did your e-mail say that the packet was sent out "today" aka the day of the e-mail? I also am curious since I need to get a few things done, but I can't until I receive the packet.

I really only know about unmarried (furnished) housing.

1. Do the rooms come with shades/blinds?

YES. Just blinds, though.

2. Do people put bbq's and lawn chairs on the balcony? Do all apartments come with balconies?

Lawn chairs, yes. BBQ's are not allowed on balconies, but the "designated assembly areas" have permanent BBQ's. All the apts have balconies. The unfurnished ones also serve as your front door, however.

3. Do you get a key to lock the door to your room when you are out?

The furnished rooms have individual locks. I don't know about unfurnished.

4. Are the individual bedrooms assigned or is it first come, first serve?

Furnished are assigned by number.

5. Besides clothes, electronics, books, lamps, etc... is there any furniture you think is needed?

Get a better desk chair if you can - you'll be spending a lot of time at the desk. The couches aren't that comfortable - solve that or don't.

The "boxsprings" really suck (they sink in too far), but a popular solution is to buy a sheet of plywood to put under the mattress. That'll give your back a lot more support. The previous person may have already left one and there's a Home Depot right near campus.

You'll also need a trash can for the kitchen... otherwise it comes with just about everything.

6. Where does the garbage go? Like do you have to bring it to some dump or is there a room?

There is a dumpster near the gym.

7. Are there good places to order-in, or is it just pizza?

Planet Pizza, Peking and (I think) Empire are pretty popular. You'll get fliers under the door. Subway and Dunkin Doughnuts are right around the corner (but you'll need to drive).

8. Is there a cleaning service for the common areas?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks so much gplex! Looking forward to meeting you in August.

Does anyone know when we can move into the apartments/dorms?

Did your e-mail say that the packet was sent out "today" aka the day of the e-mail? I also am curious since I need to get a few things done, but I can't until I receive the packet.

Haha yeah it said it was sent "today." I am in state so it definitely wasn't sent that day!

just got the terms/conditions letter to sign so it took 2 days for me. the letter also says that health services and housing will email me with information.. is that true? how long does it take for this email to get sent out?

also.. any current students mind explaining the difference between grasslands I and II? i remember on my tour i saw one of the first floor 4-person furnished apartments... is that grasslands II? and grasslands I is unfurnished? sorry for all the questions! thank you!!

Last edited:
hey all,

i just got accepted on monday also. but i have a seat at Rush Medical College. How would you guys rate the schools? Pros and Cons? Please help, I've look at the stats and such already....

thanks!!!'

btw when do we have to respond by?

hey all,

i just got accepted on monday also. but i have a seat at Rush Medical College. How would you guys rate the schools? Pros and Cons? Please help, I've look at the stats and such already....

thanks!!!'

I'm curious about this too.....

I know it may not be the easiest decision, but put yourself in the place of the waitlister on the lists of both of your choices. With only about a month to go, wouldn't you want to know as soon as possible so you can make arrangements.

Just choose!

hey all,

thanks!!!'

I read your other post. The $250,000 question is, would you be happy living on campus here for at least 2 years, compared to a more urban environment like Rush? Beyond that, NYMC has very strong Cali connections (see matchlist and makeup of the student body). And yes, the winters here are MUCH milder than in the midwest - to my disappointment.

How is the gym at the school? Is it an actual gym, or is it like an apartment complex gym? What pieces of equipment do they have?

How is the gym at the school? Is it an actual gym, or is it like an apartment complex gym? What pieces of equipment do they have?

Why didn't you guys look at the place while you were here?! Hahaha, I know you were busy interviewing.

It's not a gym like with racquetball/basketball courts (although there is an outdoor B-ball court on campus). There are maybe half a dozen treadmills and stationary bikes, a few gazelles (I think that's what they're called), full weight room (freeweights, curling irons, squats, etc), heavy bag, and bunch of other machines you'd expect at a fitness club. There are two TV's and a stereo (with an iPod connection! YEAAAH!). A lot of the equipment is new - there was a dedication this year due to a donation.

Btw, we get access to athletic facilities at neighboring colleges. I believe that includes Westchester Community College (down the road) and SUNY-Purchase (a bit further off). They have pools and all that stuff. That's something to ask housing, though.

This was a tough decision, I choose NYMC!

I sent and email reply saying I accept, but I got no response.
I figure I need to send in the mail along with 100 dollars before I get anything. I always thought this was weird. How do we know were in?

So I am new at this. I am holding another acceptance at another school. Should I wait until I know for sure that I have a spot at NYMC or just withdrawl now? I dont want to blow myself up holding two acceptances :scared:

This was a tough decision, I choose NYMC!

I figure I need to send in the mail along with 100 dollars before I get anything. I always thought this was weird. How do we know were in?

So I am new at this. I am holding another acceptance at another school. Should I wait until I know for sure that I have a spot at NYMC or just withdrawl now? I dont want to blow myself up holding two acceptances :scared:

I am in your shoes. I am waiting for the offer letter to arrive in the mail before I send the withdraw letter to the other one. I am just nervous, since I'm not sure if this counts as holding two acceptances. Oh well...

I am in your shoes. I am waiting for the offer letter to arrive in the mail before I send the withdraw letter to the other one. I am just nervous, since I'm not sure if this counts as holding two acceptances. Oh well...

I did the same thing so don't worry about it. I would say unless a school gives you a deadline in their acceptance letter, you won't be hurting anyone's feelings if you are waiting for all your materials to arrive to make an educated decision.

:scared:

they wont respond if you accept by email. send in the money and paperwork with your signature. then you will receive a confirmation after they receive it. maybe wait an extra day or two after you think theyve got it. theyre a little slow this time of year.

Came back from vacation today and found the official packet. Super excited! I received the email Monday. Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I'm convinced they've switched to Monday acceptances...

can anyone who already got the email from health services let me know if they sent you the forms for the physical we need with the doctor? I want to leave for vacation in the next few days and its the only thing I need to really be here in person for. Would you mind forwarding it to my email? id really really appreciate it!

I wonder if people are still being taken off the waitlist, or if I should just give up...Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.