2008-2009 Northwestern (Feinberg) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I think that means the topic I was gonna write about is out too. I'm a volunteer piano teacher for a kid with some behavioral issues and learning disabilities. His mom is a nurse where I work. She gives in to her son all the time for everything, so she'll do things like try to move piano lessons around because he doesn't want to do them that day or she'll tell some story about how bad he is and how she said something horribly inappropriate to him. It's been hard to preserve a professional relationship with her at work because of the piano lessons and the way she treats me in that role. Does this count as a personal situation?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I always figured when they say "academic setting" they mean "don't write about cheating in the classroom" or similar. I feel like working in a hospital or lab is intrinsically different.

Your example is good, I think, much more complex and interesting than simply "should you or shouldn't you _____." However, I would try not to use the same setting/situation for multiple essays.

Members don't see this ad.

And I thought the application process couldn't get any weirder.....Northwestern specifies technical requirements to become a physician on their secondary application. The part on motor skills is pretty priceless:

Technical Standards

A physician must have the knowledge and skills to function effectively in a broad variety of laboratory and clinical situations. Students matriculating in and graduating from Northwestern University's medical school must be able to meet the technical requirements of the academic program and not pose a threat to the well-being of patients or themselves. The medical school faculty has declared that candidates for admission should have the capabilities and skills described below to graduate as a physician. The Feinberg School requires compliance with these standards with or without accommodation. Carefully review the following technical standards information:
Observation:

Candidates should be able to observe demonstrations and experiments in the basic sciences including demonstrations in animals, microbiologic cultures, and microscopic studies of microorganisms and tissues in normal and pathological states. A candidate should have sufficient visual perception to observe a patient accurately both near and afar. Observation requires the functional use of sight and touch.
Communication:

Candidates should be able to speak, hear and observe in order to obtain information from patients, describe changes in mood, activity, and posture and perceive nonverbal communications. A candidate must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively with patients. Communication skills include listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Motor Skills:

Candidates should have sufficient motor function to obtain information about patients using various physical diagnosis procedures. A candidate should be capable of learning and executing the required motor movements to perform basic laboratory tests and diagnosis procedures. This requires coordination of both gross and fine muscular movements, equilibrium, and functional use of sight and touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I thought the application process couldn't get any weirder.....Northwestern specifies technical requirements to become a physician on their secondary application. The part on motor skills is pretty priceless:

Technical Standards

A physician must have the knowledge and skills to function effectively in a broad variety of laboratory and clinical situations. Students matriculating in and graduating from Northwestern University's medical school must be able to meet the technical requirements of the academic program and not pose a threat to the well-being of patients or themselves. The medical school faculty has declared that candidates for admission should have the capabilities and skills described below to graduate as a physician. The Feinberg School requires compliance with these standards with or without accommodation. Carefully review the following technical standards information:
Observation:

Candidates should be able to observe demonstrations and experiments in the basic sciences including demonstrations in animals, microbiologic cultures, and microscopic studies of microorganisms and tissues in normal and pathological states. A candidate should have sufficient visual perception to observe a patient accurately both near and afar. Observation requires the functional use of sight and touch.
Communication:

Candidates should be able to speak, hear and observe in order to obtain information from patients, describe changes in mood, activity, and posture and perceive nonverbal communications. A candidate must be able to communicate effectively and sensitively with patients. Communication skills include listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Motor Skills:

Candidates should have sufficient motor function to obtain information about patients using various physical diagnosis procedures. A candidate should be capable of learning and executing the required motor movements to perform basic laboratory tests and diagnosis procedures. This requires coordination of both gross and fine muscular movements, equilibrium, and functional use of sight and touch.

I was under the impression that these motor skill standards are pretty standard for med schools...

For the third essay, they specify that they do not mean summer jobs when they ask about time in the work force, but do you think it would be okay to write about a summer job as a formative non-academic activity?

Wow, you guys make me feel off-base with the coping skills question. I wrote about recovering from being raped!

i am really sorry that you had to go through something that terrible....

Wow, you guys make me feel off-base with the coping skills question. I wrote about recovering from being raped!

I wrote about something sort of similar (not as terrible as a rape, but a very personal, traumatic experience). I don't think what we did is wrong.

Also, sorry to hear that.

The limit say "about" 400 words. Has anyone gone over? I've got one that's at 423 words.

The limit say "about" 400 words. Has anyone gone over? I've got one that's at 423 words.
Answered my own question. It won't let you move on if it's over 400 words.

Members don't see this ad :)
My university has no committee but provide Letter Service, I have 7 letters in this packet, can I send this packet or I can only send 3 in this packet?
Is Letter Service Packet count as committee Letter at Northwestern? Most schools do. I need send the paper letter out quick to beat the 2 week deadline. Thank you in advance.

YAY!!! I got the sec finally and I think this one isn't too bad

My university has no committee but provide Letter Service, I have 7 letters in this packet, can I send this packet or I can only send 3 in this packet?
Is Letter Service Packet count as committee Letter at Northwestern? Most schools do. I need send the paper letter out quick to beat the 2 week deadline. Thank you in advance.

I'm pretty sure that counts as one letter :D

Answered my own question. It won't let you move on if it's over 400 words.
So it's actually a word count and not a character count? Has anyone gotten cut off at a different number of words than 400? Thanks!

Finally submitted this last night. I hope it wasn't too late - I submitted at like 9:30 pm on the night of my deadline (August 1). One other thing I noticed is that you are allowed to submit it after the deadline, but your application won't be given "optimum consideration."

I would appreciate it if someone can share their thoughts or ideas concerning the last prompt. I'm having trouble deciding what other experiences aside from their two suggested examples (travel or work) would be interesting enough to discuss (I will travel towards middle of this month, but my deadline is the 11th). This is the prompt:

."Describe your experiences away from traditional educational pursuits, such as travel or time spent in the work force (other than summer or part-time employment). Specify the time frame. If you have been in school continuously, then describe a non-academic activity which has been formative.".

wow, that is really really terrible, i'm so sorry.

Kudos to you for turning it around and becoming stronger! Thats incredible.

I did mine about being a costume designer. :) I think you should choose something you're really passionate about.

I don't know if me yelling and screaming at a TV/home football game would be what they want to see. My passion for sports is the only thing I really haven't covered from any other essay that isn't an extracurricular activity.

I appreciate the feedback :). Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this topic?

I haven't gotten it yet... But I am applying MSTP, so maybe that's different :(.

what kind of personal characteristics do they mean?

how do you know when you're complete at NW? I cant figure out where their status page is.

It'll say complete and under review. At least that's what mine says.

where does it say that? on the same page that has the due dates for my 2ndary and LORs?

ahhhh stop bumping this thread I haven't even started this secondary yet! :[

Hi All !
If I cannot send my letters of recommendation by the date they give me, will my application not be given full review ? (or is it only if I don't submit my secondary by the date?) I'm still waiting on one :(

Hi All !
If I cannot send my letters of recommendation by the date they give me, will my application not be given full review ? (or is it only if I don't submit my secondary by the date?) I'm still waiting on one :(

"If your letter writers can not meet your due date (above), we will accept your recommendation letters up until November 1, 2008, the date by which we must have received all your letters."

would kindess/willingness to help people be considered valid characteristics? Or are they so over done that I shouldn't use it? I'm stuck trying to think of characteristics that are unique....

would kindess/willingness to help people be considered valid characteristics? Or are they so over done that I shouldn't use it? I'm stuck trying to think of characteristics that are unique....

WTF my best friend also went to UMich and then Berklee College of Music

For the coping skills question, what do you guys think about writing about a breakup with a girlfriend? I'm trying to think of other difficult personal situations and drawing a bit of a blank right now.

For the coping skills question, what do you guys think about writing about a breakup with a girlfriend? I'm trying to think of other difficult personal situations and drawing a bit of a blank right now.

Generally that would be a very bad idea because for some reason adcoms view all non-marriage relationships for people in our age group as immature and irrelevant. Sit on it and mull it over more before you resort to that.

Hey thanks for the feedback chessknt87. Yeah, I was on the fence about it and it's probably not a great idea. What about friendships? This goes back to high school, but I was ostracized from many of my friends following the events of our senior prom (brief version: I called someone out on her shady behavior and they sided with her). I figured I could spin that into how I stood up for what I believed in, despite the consequences. Also, I figured out who my true friends were, strengthened my support system, etc.

Hey thanks for the feedback chessknt87. Yeah, I was on the fence about it and it's probably not a great idea. What about friendships? This goes back to high school, but I was ostracized from many of my friends following the events of our senior prom (brief version: I called someone out on her shady behavior and they sided with her). I figured I could spin that into how I stood up for what I believed in, despite the consequences. Also, I figured out who my true friends were, strengthened my support system, etc.

Idk. It sounds kind of HS drama-esque. If you really cant think of anything else that happened in college, then I guess I would go with that. Are you sure you havent encountered anything in a club/hospital/etc in all of college?

Nothing is coming to mind right now, but thanks again for the feedback. I'll try and give it some more thought.

Has anyone with an August 1st due date been marked as complete? I submitted my LORs on July 23rd, but they aren't received yet. It's already past the LOR due date, so I'm a little worried if it's on my side or that they just haven't gotten to input it yet.

Has anyone with an August 1st due date been marked as complete? I submitted my LORs on July 23rd, but they aren't received yet. It's already past the LOR due date, so I'm a little worried if it's on my side or that they just haven't gotten to input it yet.
Mine was complete on the 25th and I am now under review.

"If your letter writers can not meet your due date (above), we will accept your recommendation letters up until November 1, 2008, the date by which we must have received all your letters."
dont worry too much if your LORs dont get there by the deadline. but i still dont understand why they have the deadline if they say we can get them in by nov 1...

I don't know if me yelling and screaming at a TV/home football game would be what they want to see. My passion for sports is the only thing I really haven't covered from any other essay that isn't an extracurricular activity.

I appreciate the feedback :). Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this topic?

I wrote about snowboarding... Rejection time!

Secondary Submitted 8/3, Complete 8/4. Pretty fast!

Has anyone with a fee waiver tried submitting this secondary? After I submit the essays, there are only two options on the payment page...check or credit card. I sent an e-mail already, but they haven't replied yet. Any thoughts about what to do?

Has anyone with a fee waiver tried submitting this secondary? After I submit the essays, there are only two options on the payment page...check or credit card. I sent an e-mail already, but they haven't replied yet. Any thoughts about what to do?
no idea. give them a call. much faster response time!

Has anyone had their LOR's marked as received yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.