2008-2009 Stanford Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus Islander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
6. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

7. What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?

a. Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals.

1. Private Practice

2. Health Policy

3. Academic Medicine

4. Public Health

5. Health Care Administration

b. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

The Stanford School of Medicine curriculum integrates the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.

c. How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

8. If you have publications resulting from scholarly endeavors, then in the space below, please complete a citation for each of your publications using the following format: Author, Title, Journal, Volume, Pages, and Date of Publication.* This section applies for papers that have been published or been accepted for publication. Please do not include abstracts or unpublished conference papers.

(Note: no character limit was specified for this last essay)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
do they screen?

Woohoo! I was pretty psyched to get this secondary, especially considering my complete lack of research. Anyone know how strongly that factors into a Stanford acceptance?

I'm pretty sure they don't screen, but congrats anyway! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't screen? Well shucks, so much for my ego trip of the day. I guess that makes sense though, so they maximize their revenue from secondaries.

Woohoo! I've been waiting for Stanford's for so long :)

Sadly. I now have a huge pileup with UCLA, UCSD, and Duke.

Bah.

All told, I don't think Stanford's is bad at all.

Woohoo! I've been waiting for Stanford's for so long :)

Sadly. I now have a huge pileup with UCLA, UCSD, and Duke.

Bah.

That's not too bad Shemarty! I have something like 9 secondaries that I still need to do! :eek: I'm considering dropping some schools that I'm not as interested in now that I have an interview...I would still be left w/ >20 schools...

That's not too bad Shemarty! I have something like 9 secondaries that I still need to do! :eek: I'm considering dropping some schools that I'm not as interested in now that I have an interview...I would still be left w/ >20 schools...

Lol I have a pileup of 8 secondaries. I've only submitted 7 out of 23 =(

Haha, true true.

It's just the nature of the secondaries. Duke + UCSD is a bad combo.

I submitted UCLA about 20 minutes ago, and I'm working on Stanford's, which isn't bad, I agree.

no, they dont screen. but its still nice to have this app!
Dang right when I thought I was all special...

I think they should all screen... I'd rather not pay the money if I don't have a chance...

Haha, true true.

It's just the nature of the secondaries. Duke + UCSD is a bad combo.

I submitted UCLA about 20 minutes ago, and I'm working on Stanford's, which isn't bad, I agree.

Yea, I'm glad I'm not applying to Duke. UCLA is my priority (almost done), then UCSD, Stanford, and USC.

Man. Just when I thought there would be a break, I got secondaries from Stanford, Northwestern, and Duke. sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's with that survey??

what's with that survey??
HILARIOUS. Shemarty and I are talking about it right now. The questions are so similarly worded that it HAS to be for a study. Guess Stanford couldn't pass up the chance to get thousands of data points... so typical.

Oops just saw the post above. Yeah it is really weird. But I guess it doesn't impact our application?

HILARIOUS. Shemarty and I are talking about it right now. The questions are so similarly worded that it HAS to be for a study. Guess Stanford couldn't pass up the chance to get thousands of data points... so typical.

Yea, "generate data!" seems to be the motto here at Stanford. It's not surprising that they wouldn't want to pass up on a perfect opportunity to run a study (n=6000) about medical school applicants' perspective on the doctor/patient relationship.

Finally finished draft of my "which practice scenario" and "which scholarly concentration" essays.

I don't know how 2000 characters could have taken me all day.

Yea, "generate data!" seems to be the motto here at Stanford. It's not surprising that they wouldn't want to pass up on a perfect opportunity to run a study (n=6000) about medical school applicants' perspective on the doctor/patient relationship.

imo, they won't be getting applicants' perspective on doctor/patient relationships...they'll be getting applicants' perspective on what the they think adcom's want to hear about doctor/patient relationships.

And I think Stanford's is the fastest essay-based secondary I've done. Finishing up the big essay now then sending it out... I've been sitting on other secondaries for over 3 weeks now...but Stanford is special :thumbup:

imo, they won't be getting applicants' perspective on doctor/patient relationships...they'll be getting applicants' perspective on what the they think adcom's want to hear about doctor/patient relationships.

And I think Stanford's is the fastest essay-based secondary I've done. Finishing up the big essay now then sending it out... I've been sitting on other secondaries for over 3 weeks now...but Stanford is special :thumbup:

It's easy for it to be fast if it's [one of] your top choice.

I'm starting the big essay now... I'm such a slow writer.

"We request at least three but no more than six complete letters of recommendation from persons who know you well enough to evaluate your scholarly potential and promise as a physician. These letters may be accompanied by an undergraduate school's premedical committee evaluation."

So they want three letters of recommendation, is that correct?

"
So they want three letters of recommendation, is that correct?

They want 3-6.

Their instructions say that if you don't submit a letter from a supervisor of an activity you mentioned, then they'll question the value of that activity.
I called to ask if I could submit more than 6 if they were coming together as a packet. (Because otherwise, I'll end up omitting letters from valuable activities). They said it was ok.

They want 3-6.

Their instructions say that if you don't submit a letter from a supervisor of an activity you mentioned, then they'll question the value of that activity.
I called to ask if I could submit more than 6 if they were coming together as a packet. (Because otherwise, I'll end up omitting letters from valuable activities). They said it was ok.

WHERE does it say that???

In the "instructions" document. It's the 1st tab on the left, on the secondary application.
Well I have too many activities to do that. They really want fifteen letters of rec plus professors?

Well I have too many activities to do that. They really want fifteen letters of rec plus professors?

No, they do not want 15 LORs. Use good judgment here.

If you worked in a research lab for 2 years but then don't have a LOR from the PI, it looks suspicious.

Make sure you have LORs backing up your major activities. There are some things that you do where you don't even have a supervisor, or you participated in a non-leadership role so there's not too much a supervisor could say anyway, or it's a hobby like "photography" where a LOR wouldn't make sense...

Also, nowhere does it say that they want professors. They specifically say they don't want profs who only know you in the context of grades/class rank, so I would suggest only submitting a LOR from a professor if they have something exceptional to say about you.

You can also call the admissions office if you have a question. If you say that you have a "quick question" the woman on the phone can help you. Otherwise they forward you to one of the admissions counselors voicemail.

No, they do not want 15 LORs. Use good judgment here.

If you worked in a research lab for 2 years but then don't have a LOR from the PI, it looks suspicious.

Make sure you have LORs backing up your major activities. There are some things that you do where you don't even have a supervisor, or you participated in a non-leadership role so there's not too much a supervisor could say anyway, or it's a hobby like "photography" where a LOR wouldn't make sense...

Also, nowhere does it say that they want professors. They specifically say they don't want profs who only know you in the context of grades/class rank, so I would suggest only submitting a LOR from a professor if they have something exceptional to say about you.

You can also call the admissions office if you have a question. If you say that you have a "quick question" the woman on the phone can help you. Otherwise they forward you to one of the admissions counselors voicemail.
I guess I didn't fully read the instructions. Oh well I already sent my letters... not like I'm getting into Stanford with a 31 anyway.

I always wonder with essays like this, where there is a lot of background information specific to the school, is it a good idea to mention specifically what areas one might be interested in? Or is it better to answer more generally?

I always wonder with essays like this, where there is a lot of background information specific to the school, is it a good idea to mention specifically what areas one might be interested in? Or is it better to answer more generally?

I answered specifically, and described how my background leads me to chose a particular concentration/application area and continue working with my current advisor/PI on a specific project. I would assume that it's best to be as detailed as you can.

I'm nearly done with Stanford - I have full drafts of the 3 essays, but I'm too scared to hit submit. :scared: I'm going to have a couple more people read them over...

is stanford rolling admissions?

I submitted yesterday after my boyfriend helped me proof and finalize the essays.

And then this morning I get an email from my sister that there's a typo.

D'oh. Oh well... don't think I have a chance anyway.

In the "instructions" document. It's the 1st tab on the left, on the secondary application.

Definitely not cool! How can you be rolling admissions and then make a comment like "If your involvement in a project began during the summer of application, your supervisor will usually be able to provide an evaluation of your performance in ample time to meet our timelines." And there are a number of student activities for which it will be harder to get a letter of recommendation :mad: again, keeping in mind that admissions are rolling.

Definitely not cool! How can you be rolling admissions and then make a comment like "If your involvement in a project began during the summer of application, your supervisor will usually be able to provide an evaluation of your performance in ample time to meet our timelines." And there are a number of student activities for which it will be harder to get a letter of recommendation :mad: again, keeping in mind that admissions are rolling.

Again, I think they just mean that if you claim to have done research for 3 years, then not having a letter from the PI will be suspicious. If you claim to have worked as an EMT, then not having a letter from your supervisor will be suspicious. I'm sure they don't expect a letter from every club you were a member of. Just have letters backing up your most significant activities.

Again, I think they just mean that if you claim to have done research for 3 years, then not having a letter from the PI will be suspicious. If you claim to have worked as an EMT, then not having a letter from your supervisor will be suspicious. I'm sure they don't expect a letter from every club you were a member of. Just have letters backing up your most significant activities.

I just feel like that comment about activities starting in the summer was made for a reason, and in terms of significance, this is an activity that is continuing beyond the summer...so obviously it is significant, but a supervisor would not have much to say until the fall. Well, all my activities have contact numbers, so if they'd like to factcheck they could theoretically take the time to do that.

I just feel like that comment about activities starting in the summer was made for a reason, and in terms of significance, this is an activity that is continuing beyond the summer...so obviously it is significant, but a supervisor would not have much to say until the fall. Well, all my activities have contact numbers, so if they'd like to factcheck they could theoretically take the time to do that.

Yea - I just started teaching MCAT prep classes this May, but I obviously didn't get a LOR from that. Maybe I'll submit one if I get offered an interview, because you're allowed to send updates then.

You could do the same, save it for an "update."

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
C: Complete
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Shemarty: SS: 8/4, C:?, II:?, I:?

Shemarty make me sit down and actually write my essays... Instead I've just been organizing my new apartment, etc... If I buckled down for 2 hrs they would be churned out by now.

I don't have a pending publication yet, since I'm waiting on some forms/signatures before I can submit. Does anyone have any idea if I can submit my Stanford secondary, then inform them later in case my manuscript is placed pending for publication?

I don't have a pending publication yet, since I'm waiting on some forms/signatures before I can submit. Does anyone have any idea if I can submit my Stanford secondary, then inform them later in case my manuscript is placed pending for publication?

I believe you can send updates after receiving an interview invite.

Shemarty make me sit down and actually write my essays... Instead I've just been organizing my new apartment, etc... If I buckled down for 2 hrs they would be churned out by now.

Get to work! I stayed up till 4 am last night working on UCSD and Stanford. I'm so sleepy right now :(

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

rowerlauren: SS: 8/4, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

jgberken: SS: 8/3, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Waterlilly: SS: 8/2, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

seven87: SS: 7/30, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 8/2, C: ?, II:?, I:?

hey does anyone have tips for answering the 3rd question...?

in question 2, i already talked about my career goals and how it fits with the practice scenario. i'm just wondering about question 3, since i feel like i would be repeating myself with career goals thing :confused:

If I answered two questions at once, I simply wrote that I felt I answered their question in ie. question 1. Then I quickly summerized my points from my answer in question 1 relevant to question 3.

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

seven87: SS: 7/30, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 8/2, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?

hey does anyone have tips for answering the 3rd question...?

in question 2, i already talked about my career goals and how it fits with the practice scenario. i'm just wondering about question 3, since i feel like i would be repeating myself with career goals thing :confused:

I was more vague and broad in Q2. In Q3, I detailed my research experiences that led me to want to do a specific Scholarly Concentration. I also mentioned (in 1 sentence) what scholarly project I would want to do and who I would want to work with.

Is the admissions office number 650 723 6861?

I was more vague and broad in Q2. In Q3, I detailed my research experiences that led me to want to do a specific Scholarly Concentration. I also mentioned (in 1 sentence) what scholarly project I would want to do and who I would want to work with.

Thanks shemarty! Ya at first I interpreted the question as if Q2 was asking what do I want to do and Q3 was asking how will Stanford help me do what I want to do... but then I started getting side-tracked from the scholarly concentration thing and talked about other stuff =.=

I think I got it now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.