2008-2009 Stanford Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
man, the first question is really rough for me. i did my other diversity essays on my academic background, not long-ago challenges hwen i was a kid. i actually have nothing ot say for their examples.. "early educational env, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, life/work experience"

hrmm... has anyone lef this blank? it says "strongly encourages"... but i feel like i have absolutely nothing to say

Members don't see this ad.

Does that not also mean they "strongly discourage" you from leaving it blank?

Would anyone care to give me a quick rundown to the different practice scenarios: private practice, health policy, academic medicine, public health, and health care administration? What would the doctor be doing in each career scenario?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I've thought that far ahead yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering something similar... I'm planning to go into Primary Care, but I would ideally want to work at a university's medical center so I could also incorporate some teaching and research on the side.

Is it correct to check off "Academic Medicine", but indicate in my essay that I would like to pursue Primary Care in terms of the clinical aspect?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I was wondering something similar... I'm planning to go into Primary Care, but I would ideally want to work at a university's medical center so I could also incorporate some teaching and research on the side.

Is it correct to check off "Academic Medicine", but indicate in my essay that I would like to pursue Primary Care in terms of the clinical aspect?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

What kind of research would you be interested in doing?

Hey Shemarty! I'd be interested in doing clinical research... but I plan to focus mostly on patient care rather than the research aspect of medicine. I just wasn't sure whether primary care and academic medicine are mutually exclusive categories.

PS: Thanks for organizing all of these secondary threads! What you did is really awesome! :)

Hey Shemarty! I'd be interested in doing clinical research... but I plan to focus mostly on patient care rather than the research aspect of medicine. I just wasn't sure whether primary care and academic medicine are mutually exclusive categories.

PS: Thanks for organizing all of these secondary threads! What you did is really awesome! :)

I think you can explain that you want to work in an academic setting but focus on primary care rather than specialize. I'm pretty sure that's not mutually exclusive. The medical students have to do their family practice rotation somewhere.... so those attendings must get to teach!

Thank you for your help! And good luck on the rest of the application process!

with stanford's emphasis on research, would it be unwise to put anything but "academic medicine" for #7?

I wouldnt necessarily be lying, but I'm split between academic medicine and public health, and I have a more convincing argument (more background in) public health.

with stanford's emphasis on research, would it be unwise to put anything but "academic medicine" for #7?

I wouldnt necessarily be lying, but I'm split between academic medicine and public health, and I have a more convincing argument (more background in) public health.

You should put public health if that's what you're interested in. I know a few med students at Stanford who are interested in public health. I think they want to build a diverse class, not necessarily a class of 86 ppl who want to go into academic medicine.

You should put public health if that's what you're interested in. I know a few med students at Stanford who are interested in public health. I think they want to build a diverse class, not necessarily a class of 86 ppl who want to go into academic medicine.

lol dangit, while writing my public health essay, I realized that I'd really rather do clinical trials than public health analyses, but I don't have that convincing of an argument. Oh well, I'll just write the truth, and hopefully they'll believe me!

is the 2ndary website down for anyone else? i've been trying to log in for the whole day, come onnnn stanfurd

i think some servers at the med school crashed. i was trying to log into lane library today trying to look up research articles and my prof said its down also.

EDIT: btw, i do NOT go to stanford... i'm only doing summer research here

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think some servers at the med school crashed. i was trying to log into lane library today trying to look up research articles and my prof said its down also.

EDIT: btw, i do NOT go to stanford... i'm only doing summer research here

no wonder, i was going crazy all day long. is it weird that every time i look at the stanfurd app i get into 'big game mode'? it's way too early for that...

I just submitted, and they already have my letters :).

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
C: Complete
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

seven87: SS: 7/30, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?
Shemarty: SS: 8/4, C:?, II:?, I:?
rowerlauren: SS: 8/4, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?
jgberken: SS: 8/3, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Waterlilly: SS: 8/2, C: 8/5, II:?, I:?
Calf: SS: 8/21, C: 8/21, II:?, I:?

I'm leaning toward putting down academic medicine, because I want to teach and I think I want to explore clinical research during medical school (I've never done it before). But I can't think of any "knowledge, skills, and attitudes" that i've developed that make me qualified for it. I don't think I know enough about academic medicine and especially if I would be a good fit for it. Ugh
secondaries are so frustrating!

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

copingmethods: SS: 8/18, C: 8/21, II:?, I:?

For the publication question, if you were listed in the acknowledgments, would it be fair to list as a publication? Unfortunately, my publications are still awaiting approval so I don't want to list them.

Also, if I do list the publication in which I am acknowledged, how do you list it? It says citation, but when you ask for a pubmed citation, it gives a long abstract. What part do they want?

I'm waiting on this to submit my app because I hear they only accept people with publications...!!!

That simply is not true. You don't have to have a publication to get accepted.

No, I don't think acknowledgments counts as a publication sadly :(.

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

JoJo23497: SS: 8/29, C: 8/29, II:?, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Shemarty: SS: 8/4, C:8/6, II:?, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

CancerKiller007: (MSTP): SS: 8/9; C: 8/10; II: ??; I: ??

Question, for anyone that might know - from Stanford's admissions page:

"The MCAT must be taken within a three year period measured from the time you take the test to the point of intended matriculation. For example, the oldest acceptable score for a student applying for Fall 2008 admission would be August 2006."

Isn't their math wrong here? They say three years, but the example they give is two.

I'm interested in applying next year, for matriculation in Fall 2010. I took the MCAT on August 20th, 2007 (and I am NOT taking it again) - shouldn't my score still be good?

Thanks!

man, the first question is really rough for me. i did my other diversity essays on my academic background, not long-ago challenges hwen i was a kid. i actually have nothing ot say for their examples.. "early educational env, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, life/work experience"

hrmm... has anyone lef this blank? it says "strongly encourages"... but i feel like i have absolutely nothing to say

I thought this was strange, too. . . I think that the wording of it makes it seem like if you don't have anything to say for those examples, that you can't answer the question correctly. But I focused on the sentence before that, which makes the essay very broad. . . everyone has unique, personally important and/or challenging factors in their life that have influenced their goals and their prep for a career in medicine.

This is a bit of a reach for me (especially competing against studs like Shemarty), but I have a couple years of really solid bioengineering research, and I feel like of all the top tier schools, I would be the best fit for Stanford.

BTW, Invites don't come out until mid October? Bummer.

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

CancerKiller007: (MSTP): SS: 8/9; C: 8/10; II: ??; I: ??
BuffGold: SS: 8/26, C: 8/27, II:?, I:?

Woot, interview invite 9/5. <3 <3.
I can die now.

Nice, You doing early decision?

Thanks. I need somebody to protect me from them!

Was it an email invitation (not that I'm expecting one from Stanford :p )

It was an email invitation that said to call them today to schedule an interview. They were very nice, and I was able to squeeze it in with the rest of my cali interviews.

hey to all who got interviews, major congratulations, i'm so happy for you!

since i'm applying to this school as well (am in the process of completing the secondary), i was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing what your stats were (gpa's, mcat) just to get a sense of what my chances are of getting an interview.....thank you!

I got an interview too. I go to the same school as TupacalipseT96, so maybe that's why? The lady told me that in the future they are planning to have an online date scheduling system...

This is good news that Stanford is handing out interviews now. From their website:

"All applications will be reviewed for consideration of an interview. The earliest notifications regarding an interview invitation will begin in mid October and continue through April. The Office of Medical School Admissions will inform each candidate whether or not an interview will be granted."

Glad to hear that at least some people are getting them now. October is late!

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Shemarty: SS: 8/4, C:8/6, II:9/8, I:?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Bradstein SS: 8/4, C: 8/6, II:?, I:?

OMG, grats to you guys with interviews, I'm so jealous!!

Thanks. I need somebody to protect me from them!

Was it an email invitation (not that I'm expecting one from Stanford :p )

BERK! you're a mod! :D
i love the new avatar.

I am having so much trouble with this first question on this secondary. I was wondering if i could get some advice.

I was thinking about talking about how as a child I grew up poor, and how during college i got a wonderful opportunity to travel the world. I want to talk about how through both of these experiences I have become an empathetic, understanding individual and how these qualities prepare for a career in medicine. Do u think that would work?

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Bradstein SS: 8/4, C: 8/6, II:?, I:?
LHKP0603 SS: 8/13, C: 8/21, II:?, I:?

My primary has been verified for almost 3 weeks and I still have no word from Stanford, no email, nothing. This is the only school I applied to that's been completely incommunicado. I thought they didn't prescreen? what gives?

They don't pre-screen. It took me close to a month to get their secondary and I was verified in early June. I'd wait a little longer.

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

Bradstein: SS: 8/4, C: 8/6, II:?, I:?
LHKP0603: SS: 8/13, C: 8/21, II:?, I:?
thegreenlight: SS: 8/29, C: ?, II: 9/16, I: ?

Wow that was really fast considering that I submitted my secondary so late. I'm so happy :)

Legend
SS:
Secondary Sent
II:
Interview Invite
I:
Interview

slipstream99: SS: 8/14 C: 8/14 II: 9/16 i: ?

Legend
SS: Secondary Sent
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

slipstream99: SS: 8/14 C: 8/14 II: 9/16 I: ?
serikk85: SS:8/14 C:8/27 II: ? I: ?

I've submitted everything later than ya'll. But hopefully, Ill get an II!!!! :)

Legend
SS: Secondary
Sent
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

slipstream99: SS: 8/14 C: 8/14 II: 9/16 I: ?
serikk85: SS:8/14 C:8/27 II: ? I: ?
mmagnett: SS:8/31 C:9/20 II: ? I: ?

uh oh this thread is makign me sad. ppl who have gotten complete after me are getting me invites :(

stanforddddddd show me some loveeeeee:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.