2008-2009 UC Davis Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean if Davis was a guy and I went out with him back in Dec and hasn't called since then I think the message might be "they just aren't that into you" Right?

Well...she gets the guy in the end of that movie right? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

OK....

Interviewed Dec 3
Talked to Ed 3x
Still no decision.... but probably on the WL they say

Is it delusion to keep hanging on for the next 7weeks? As if maybe I will be one of those success storied about getting the phone call after such a ride?

I have wanted to get into Davis soooosososo bad since my interview. This is the most my emotions have ever been jerked around... I mean if Davis was a guy and I went out with him back in Dec and hasn't called since then I think the message might be "they just aren't that into you" Right?

Everyday that goes by it seems more and more apparent that the call will never come.

Hey prio001, I feel the same way, except you've been waiting even longer than I have...

Do we know if there are any more adcom meetings to figure out what to do with the rest of us who haven't heard anything? Or are they done making decisions and have decided and just not told us?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they said June 9th last time I called, or they said they have adcom mtgs scheduled all the way up to June 9th.

Hey guys.

I've also been placed at the end of the review process (or so it seems) after interviewing in mid-December. No word yet on accept, WL, or reject, and the last time I called (mid-May), they had not reviewed my file.

I asked Ed, does this mean I'm likely to end up rejected or waitlisted? Ed's reply was that no decision has been made and that an acceptance is possible.

I guess it's time to call again, but I am certainly not optimistic. It's my last chance for romance with medicine since my MCAT expired and I'm a (32 yr old) non-trad. Here's hoping my waitlist at USC and Brown turn from lead to gold. This process sure feels alchemical!

Peace and prosperity to my fellow suffering...

Hey guys.

I've also been placed at the end of the review process (or so it seems) after interviewing in mid-December. No word yet on accept, WL, or reject, and the last time I called (mid-May), they had not reviewed my file.

I asked Ed, does this mean I'm likely to end up rejected or waitlisted? Ed's reply was that no decision has been made and that an acceptance is possible.

I guess it's time to call again, but I am certainly not optimistic. It's my last chance for romance with medicine since my MCAT expired and I'm a (32 yr old) non-trad. Here's hoping my waitlist at USC and Brown turn from lead to gold. This process sure feels alchemical!

Peace and prosperity to my fellow suffering...

Wow! Brown and USC are great places to be. I tried calling the office yesterday: Terri's message said she would be out of the office till SEPTEMBER! and no answer from the others.

hsgill2: 32 huh? there are many other career paths. Have you considered PA program? or NP? Are you going to try again for medical school?

I am also only WL with no other acceptances, but am torn by what to do next. This year was the craziest of my life, and I am thinking long and hard before reapplying. So I think:

1. why have I not been accepted already? GPA? MORE hours of patient interaction? or just plane competitive
2. what are my alternatives?
3. Are my alternatives better then reapplying?

I think being an MD applicant is one of the most unique experiences prior to entering medicine. It is a true test of how much you want it and what you are willing to put up with for a goal. The wait, the money, defining yourself over and over again for strangers, pouring your heart soul and fears into a one page essay, losing lovers, love, a fiance, friends, sanity and sleep.

But in the end... if we re-apply I must say our character is much stronger then any first applicant out there. No first time applicant could possible know how if feels to be rejected from 25,30, 40+ schools and not give up.

So how much do you love medicine?

Whatever it ends up or we all choose, it is most important to be happy with the choice and OWN that choice with no regrets.

Lets not all give up hope just yet. I have heard so many stories from past med students about getting in off the waitlist with 1 or 2 weeks to go. Come July 20th if we are all still waiting then we might be in trouble. Lets all enjoy the next 5 glorious weeks of summer and remember when you go swimming you have to take your cell phone out of your pocket. I know it is hard to be more than 15 ft away when med schools could be calling you any time but trust me...water + phone = BAD

so I'm leaving the country for two weeks, do accepted students receive anything besides a phone call? I'm not expecting one but in the rare event that it does happen I would like to know since my phone will have limited service.

so I'm leaving the country for two weeks, do accepted students receive anything besides a phone call? I'm not expecting one but in the rare event that it does happen I would like to know since my phone will have limited service.

Just write Dr. Peterson an email letting her know your situation and leave her another number (perhaps a family member etc.) That is what I did anyways.

Just write Dr. Peterson an email letting her know your situation and leave her another number (perhaps a family member etc.) That is what I did anyways.

Thanks RSwim, but I think you're referring to UCI... haha

just withdrew my acceptance earlier last week, good luck to those of you still waiting..hope someone get's my spot

I didn't even get a phone call--just an e-mail. It said a second look was being planned for april 24th. This came when I was accepted on 5/29. The status page changes though. You may wish to keep an eye on your e-mail or check your status page periodically when you are out of the country. Or, alternatively, you can leave your login info with a trusted person to check for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
how is the status page updated? thanks!

Status page will have an "acceptance" tab or something like that. You click on it and it gives you the option to officially accept or decline.

Good luck I hope you get in!! :luck::xf:

To all of you out there who haven't heard back, I just wanted to add to the conversation and say I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I interviewed in JANUARY and still have not heard so much as a peep out of Davis. After my calling it turns out I'm also one of those "lucky" few who they are still deciding whether or not to put on the waitlist. At this point in the game (i.e. JUNE), if they're still DEBATING that I'd say I'm pretty much bottom o the barrel no? hahah just gotta laugh about it now...

been very silent out there... maybe we really are approaching the end.

any more acceptances? official notices of WL? rejections ??

I am hoping for SOME news by Friday... :xf:come on acceptance!!!

No luck on my side.

After a long 7 month wait, I finally received the (somewhat expected) depersonalized email:

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to the UC Davis School of Medicine.

After careful consideration, we are unable to offer you a position for the class entering in July 2009. We received applications from a highly competitive pool of nearly 5,000 students like yourself. With only 105 seats available, the Admissions Committee faced an extremely difficult task.

Best wishes for your future endeavors."

This email was incidentally received a day after I sent an update of some nice achievements over the past two weeks (young investigator award at conference, first-author in reputable journal, etc).

Well, that leaves a waitlist at Brown and USC. If not, then it's time to settle down, build a house, have some kids, and do what 'normal' people do at the age of 32! Fortunately, I have a nice job in the Biotech industry with which I can align my long-term pursuits.

Good luck to everyone else out there with your heart set on UCD (or any other school for that matter).

Peace and blessings!

Herman

Sorry to hear that Herman. Best of luck on your other two wait-lists. Any other movement out there? From speaking to past medical students the next three weeks should see quite a lot of movement.

Last edited:
Still no news. :(Herman, just so you know, you are not the only older student out there trying to make it happen. I am married with children, you can do both. Don't give up! Good luck on your waitlists.:luck:

Still haven't heard anything, not even a waitlist spot. I'm planning on signing a lease this weekend for a place in Boston, so it is going to be unfortunate if something happens after that.

Still haven't heard anything, not even a waitlist spot. I'm planning on signing a lease this weekend for a place in Boston, so it is going to be unfortunate if something happens after that.

just curious.... would you move back for UC Davis?

Still no news. :(Herman, just so you know, you are not the only older student out there trying to make it happen. I am married with children, you can do both. Don't give up! Good luck on your waitlists.:luck:

Thanks for the support, it is much appreciated.

I received feedback from Ed, who noted that my application was too research-oriented and did not focus enough on community health (interest in student-led clinics, past community outreach). This was a strategic error on my part as, interestingly, I do have a strong desire to promote community health (i.e., I participate in homeless outreach programs in San Francisco).

I should have sensed the winds of change, where primary care is increasingly promoted as admissions policy over specialization and industry-directed clinicians.

Well, perhaps I'll try again in 2011 (after a little break).

Thanks again and best wishes to each of you.

Herman

FYI

I heard from a friend who is a M1 at UCD that Ed announced to their class today that there is "no movement on the waitlist at this time"

this is what i heard and thought I would share it... no idea what the context was though i.e no movement bc of adcom not meeting or no movement bc people are not withdrawing

... either ways sounds grim

FYI

I heard from a friend who is a M1 at UCD that Ed announced to their class today that there is "no movement on the waitlist at this time"

this is what i heard and thought I would share it... no idea what the context was though i.e no movement bc of adcom not meeting or no movement bc people are not withdrawing

... either ways sounds grim

Prio any way to get more info from your friend???!?

still no decision here... n the class is full... can it get any worst than this? =(

still no decision here... n the class is full... can it get any worst than this? =(

I wouldn't read into this too much. The class was technically supposed to be ""full"" on May 15, which they weren't . But just because a class is "full" doesn't mean the waitlist movement is done.

thanks RSwim for the more positive perspective. it would be nice if i was at least on the WL... good luck to everyone!

thanks RSwim for the more positive perspective. it would be nice if i was at least on the WL... good luck to everyone!

i called ed to notify him i was leaving the country for a few weeks and at that point he told me i was on the waitlist. So basically if i would not have called, i would still be in the dark. my guess is ur on the list they just havent notified you.

hey sctennis,

thanks for the tip, i just called an found out im on the WL n he said that there hasnt been much movement... i also tried to find out what tier i'm on n he says they can't disclose that information. I thought they did in the past years, it would be nice to know if we have a good shot at least so we dont put too much hope... =/

hey sctennis,

thanks for the tip, i just called an found out im on the WL n he said that there hasnt been much movement... i also tried to find out what tier i'm on n he says they can't disclose that information. I thought they did in the past years, it would be nice to know if we have a good shot at least so we dont put too much hope... =/

Ed told me that he'd be "surprised" if anyone got in off the wait list after July 10th. He didn't really indicate if much movement may occur between now and then.

He also mentioned that for next year's application, they'll begin reviewing applications towards the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Ed told me that he'd be "surprised" if anyone got in off the wait list after July 10th. He didn't really indicate if much movement may occur between now and then.

He also mentioned that for next year's application, they'll begin reviewing applications towards the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

Thanks for the info. July 10th is so close away... not much hope left I suppose...

In the past Terri disclosed which tier you were on, did they change that this yr? It seems as if most ppl on this thread has only called Ed and not Terri?

Thanks for the info. July 10th is so close away... not much hope left I suppose...

In the past Terri disclosed which tier you were on, did they change that this yr? It seems as if most ppl on this thread has only called Ed and not Terri?

Last I called Terri it said "out of the office till Sept"

Well, the waitlist will move by at least one. I just withdrew after grappling with the decision for some time. They graciously allowed me extra time to get a financial aid estimate before making a decision so I've been holding the acceptance for a while now.

I'm not sure how this would have played out if I had been accepted in time to go to second look and get a better "feel" for the school. As it stands, there are just too many intangible unknowns for me to choose it over the school I was already set on and comfortable with.

:luck:

Well, the waitlist will move by at least one. I just withdrew after grappling with the decision for some time. They graciously allowed me extra time to get a financial aid estimate before making a decision so I've been holding the acceptance for a while now.

I'm not sure how this would have played out if I had been accepted in time to go to second look and get a better "feel" for the school. As it stands, there are just too many intangible unknowns for me to choose it over the school I was already set on and comfortable with.

:luck:

thanks scottyT for updating us with your decision, good luck!

~ 2 weeks left to have a shot of getting in off the WL; however, I have a feeling that I am in the lower or middle tier of the WL so chances are almost non-existent. I say this bc ppl were already taken off the WL before some of us receive our decision and if they were deciding if we were good enough to be placed on the WL or to reject us, it must mean we can't be that high on the list, just speculation.

Sorry for the rant haha. Good luck to all of us on the WL and may the next 2 weeks have plenty of surprises :xf:

Is there anyone else out there with no decision? I called and no decision has been made. I just want to know if I am the only one.

Last edited:
Is there anyone else out there with no decision? I called and no decision has been made. I just want to know if I am in the only one.

I too have no decision. I emailed Ed last week and didn't receive a response.

soca49, you should try calling his line. I am surprised you guys still have no decision...

Ed Dagang, Director of Admissions and Outreach
(916) 734-4123

have you guys tried calling? or did you guys just email... it's already july... this is pretty shocking

I called Ed this week. I feel disregarded, not good enough for a rejection notice. Well, I am looking forward to going to Columbus Ohio next week to find a house. Ohio State it is....

have you guys tried calling? or did you guys just email... it's already july... this is pretty shocking

I would say that is not really shocking for the UC Davis admissions office. They are not very professional. It was 5 months from my interview to my rejection email, which came on a Saturday...

I called and their response was, "You didn't get your waitlist email last week?". I guess something is wrong with their computer system, so I would recommend calling if you haven't heard anything. If you don't get back to them within a week of getting your non-existent waitlist email, then they take you off the list and you're out of luck.

We aren't given knowledge of where we are on the waitlist, which I wouldn't trip over since most schools don't tell, except that at the interview they went out of their way to say that we would be told which tier on the waitlist we stood.

I've heard there hasn't been much movement anyway.

hey epitube,

Do you know the email address we need to reply to? Thanks.

edit: I just called and they said they were gonna send me a copy of the WL email again but I have not received it. Does someone mind posting it so I know what I need to do. Thanks.

Last edited:
hey epitube,

Do you know the email address we need to reply to? Thanks.

edit: I just called and they said they were gonna send me a copy of the WL email again but I have not received it. Does someone mind posting it so I know what I need to do. Thanks.

"If you wish to keep a position on the wait-list, please inform us by e-mail at [email protected] within one week. If we do not hear from you, we will assume you are no longer interested in UC Davis, and will withdraw your application from further consideration. Should you call the Office of Admissions the staff is aware that you are on the wait-list but is unable to provide you with any additional information."

I just keep being told it is "up in the air" and no movement... but they like to keep us on the edge of our seats with... "but you never know" sort of comments.

Also... due to budget cuts the class size got cut too. This probably has affected all UC's which means there are about 40-60ppl total out there on UC waitlists over acceptances if class sizes got cut back 10-15ppl.

Hence slow movement all over the UC's.

I just keep being told it is "up in the air" and no movement... but they like to keep us on the edge of our seats with... "but you never know" sort of comments.

Also... due to budget cuts the class size got cut too. This probably has affected all UC's which means there are about 40-60ppl total out there on UC waitlists over acceptances if class sizes got cut back 10-15ppl.

Hence slow movement all over the UC's.

Yikes! where did you read/hear that?

Got my call today at 4:50pm from Ed... missed it OF COURSE! But I am iinnnnnnn!

No more waiting woooooooooohhhhhoooooooooooo

prio001: congrats!! you must be very excited!! congrats again!

ppl who received and replied to the WL email: does Lanina reply the confirmation to stay on WL email?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.