2009-2010 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most humbling experience, is it safe to go with something generic from college (like getting humbled by research or academic intensity of some sort) or can we talk about long-term growing up experience during middle/high school?

i'd say both are fair game

Members don't see this ad.

i'd say both are fair game

+1. Write about whichever you truly feel humbled you. Don't cater to the question. And make sure you can defend it, and show true humility, if brought up at your interview.

I almost feel like a humbling experience with academic intensity would not be a good thing to talk about. Every applicant has taken nearly 99% of the same classes at or above the same intensity. I would go more with a humbling research experience, or even your life in general. I think this essay should let the reviewers get to know you a bit more. With that said, if you are going to write about how your course load intensity humbled you, I am thinking that you may have not done so hot in some of the course? If this is true, then perhaps it would be a good idea to write about it, as this would give you a chance to address any outliers on your transcript.

But, like all the advice above, just be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that said, if you are going to write about how your course load intensity humbled you, I am thinking that you may have not done so hot in some of the course? If this is true, then perhaps it would be a good idea to write about it, as this would give you a chance to address any outliers on your transcript.

This should probably be the only reason you discuss your academics as a humbling experience.

Right, writing about academics as a humbling experience is almost like writing about academics with the moral/ethicla dillema question. They seem to be more interested in more unique/personal experiences.

Tjquinn

I will probably write something academic as my humbling experience. I think there's nothing wrong with it, just as long as it's somewhat unique (if that makes sense). BTW, how would you define a "humbling experience"?

No idea what to write for ethical dilemma...

Last edited:
I will probably write something academic as my humbling experience. I think there's nothing wrong with it, just as long as it's somewhat unique (if that makes sense). BTW, how would you define a "humbling experience"?

No idea what to write for ethical dilemma...

Extreme examples:

Humbling experience: You get a 4.0/45T en route to applying for medical school. You go around telling the whole world you are undecided which ivy league school you are going to attend, even before secondaries arrive. You go to the interviews, act all conceited, pissing off the interviewers. You don't get into med school. You yell, b1tch, kill. Then, you cry. Then you are humble, reapply with some additional ECs, interview strong, and get in.

Ethical dilemma: You have two sisters. They are twins. Actually, they are clones (cool!). You have the exact same relationship with them in terms of how well you get along, etc. Then they both get sick and need a new liver. The liver transplant committee won't give you anything because your sisters have a life expectancy of about 35 years due to other, pre-existing issues. Then, amazingly, you find a liver on the side of the road that would be a functional transplant (sweet!). Who gets the liver?

Extreme examples:

Humbling experience: You get a 4.0/45T en route to applying for medical school. You go around telling the whole world you are undecided which ivy league school you are going to attend, even before secondaries arrive. You go to the interviews, act all conceited, pissing off the interviewers. You don't get into med school. You yell, b1tch, kill. Then, you cry. Then you are humble, reapply with some additional ECs, interview strong, and get in.

Ethical dilemma: You have two sisters. They are twins. Actually, they are clones (cool!). You have the exact same relationship with them in terms of how well you get along, etc. Then they both get sick and need a new liver. The liver transplant committee won't give you anything because your sisters have a life expectancy of about 35 years due to other, pre-existing issues. Then, amazingly, you find a liver on the side of the road that would be a functional transplant (sweet!). Who gets the liver?

Thanks

Extreme examples:

Actually you could probably cut the liver in half and put one of the two halves into each sister, thus solving the problem (since the liver can usually regrow the missing half). Thus solving a difficult ethical dilemma...Sorry I couldn't help it.:ninja:

Right, writing about academics as a humbling experience is almost like writing about academics with the moral/ethicla dillema question. They seem to be more interested in more unique/personal experiences.

Tjquinn

Do you think they are really interested in what the humbling experience was, or do they just want to be sure you have some humility (regardless of source)?

probably the latter because going to a med school may itself be a humbling experience. My experience isnt that great but it affected me deeply and taught me a lot of things that define who I am today so I figured I'd go with it.

Do you think they are really interested in what the humbling experience was, or do they just want to be sure you have some humility (regardless of source)?

I really doubt they care what the humbling experience was... to a point. I could write about the throes of honors organic chemistry, how hard the curve was and all of the nasty problems my various professors put on the test. But this ends up looking, at least to me, just like every other student. Most students have had a humbling experience in academics (for me it was Comparative Anatomy - no curve; therefore, 94% = 3.6) but I don't think it is particularly interesting. Consequently, I am writing about my trip to Indonesia to visit my girlfriends family.

I doubt everyone has been to a third world country, so I cannot suggest that this is the key to the question (I just happened to be lucky enough to see it with my own eyes). With that said, I have had various other humbling experiences within this country; such as volunteering in the trauma surgery department and seeing a case of necrotizing faciitis; or seeing various transients struggling to kick a drug habit. I feel like if you have volunteered, then you have probably had some sort of humbling experience; in fact, this almost seems to be the point of volunteering (other than helping the world, yada yada).

Tjquinn

Actually you could probably cut the liver in half and put one of the two halves into each sister, thus solving the problem (since the liver can usually regrow the missing half). Thus solving a difficult ethical dilemma...Sorry I couldn't help it.:ninja:

lolol :thumbup: :clap: :highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you guys doing for the relationship essay? do you think talking about a parent physician is too cliche?

also, how do you interpret the prompt. it says What relationship has "best prepared " you...not necessarily what relationship led you to want to be a doctor.

what are you guys doing for the relationship essay? do you think talking about a parent physician is too cliche?

also, how do you interpret the prompt. it says What relationship has "best prepared " you...not necessarily what relationship led you to want to be a doctor.

Talk about your gf. She gives you a migraine every time you see her, but you still have to be nice to her and show compassion. This has prepared you for medicine because, well, patients can be a pain in the @$$, but you have learned to be nice.

I don't think a parent physician is cliche (what portion of pre-meds have a parent physician?).

By the way, was I the only one pissed that AMCAS asked about your parents and their occupation? What the hell did that have to do with anything?

Talk about your gf. She gives you a migraine every time you see her, but you still have to be nice to her and show compassion. This has prepared you for medicine because, well, patients can be a pain in the @$$, but you have learned to be nice.
Excellent suggestion.

My gf was psychotic as well, and so I was able to see schizophrenia in full force.

I took a completely different approach on the humbling experience essay. I thought they wanted an essay in which you showed modesty. I don't see how an academic course load is humbling? Maybe i'm just thinking of it differently

I am not sure if this means an experience where you showed modesty versus something that humbled you. I guess I am a little confused too.

I took a completely different approach on the humbling experience essay. I thought they wanted an essay in which you showed modesty. I don't see how an academic course load is humbling? Maybe i'm just thinking of it differently
Well it says a humbling experience, so I just take that literally. An academic course load may be humbling if you thought you could handle a heavy course load or difficult classes and found you really weren't as smart as you thought.

I think this question is tricky because it's almost impossible to answer without drawing attention to a failure of yours.

Since my school sends a committee letter, should I list list my premed advisor and each teacher recommendation as a separate letter?

And does a committee letter count as a composite letter?

Anyone know what we should do for this?

Well it says a humbling experience, so I just take that literally. An academic course load may be humbling if you thought you could handle a heavy course load or difficult classes and found you really weren't as smart as you thought.

I think this question is tricky because it's almost impossible to answer without drawing attention to a failure of yours.

You dont need to have failed at something to be humbled by it (although with the academic subject, this is inevitable for a humbling experience). As I said previously, my humbling experience was visiting a third world country. Showing modesty in something? I guess that is being humble, not a humbling experience. The difference being, you go into something arrogant, or cocksure, and end up learning something you were not expecting, thus being humbled. Being modest in something implies you are already humble to begin with (in that particular area). In a sense, the question is loaded as it does expect you to point out a flaw in yourself, but how you handled that flaw is what they are looking for.

Tjquinn

Anyone know what we should do for this?

A committee letter in most circumstances is a composite letter. I actually can't think of when it would NOT be the same thing, but just indicating I'm not 100% sure. But in any case, you list your primary adviser (or whoever is signing the letter) as the author. You do not list the individual letters that helped comprise that one big letter.

A committee letter in most circumstances is a composite letter. I actually can't think of when it would NOT be the same thing, but just indicating I'm not 100% sure. But in any case, you list your primary adviser (or whoever is signing the letter) as the author. You do not list the individual letters that helped comprise that one big letter.

Just to clarify, I was just entering in my pre-med committee letter on Duke's app and noticed this on the page:

"To add a new recommendation, select the "add new recommendation" link. Please note that at least two recommendations are required from science faculty; the remaining recommendations can be from any additional sources. In order to complete the "Application Audit," you will need to be sure that four names are submitted in the recommendation fields. The system is programmed to look for four names even if you have a committee letter."

So I suppose for Duke's purposes we'll have to put in the individual letters within the packet anyway to get past the system?

I thought duke did not want LORs til interview invite??

Just to clarify, I was just entering in my pre-med committee letter on Duke's app and noticed this on the page:

"To add a new recommendation, select the "add new recommendation" link. Please note that at least two recommendations are required from science faculty; the remaining recommendations can be from any additional sources. In order to complete the "Application Audit," you will need to be sure that four names are submitted in the recommendation fields. The system is programmed to look for four names even if you have a committee letter."

So I suppose for Duke's purposes we'll have to put in the individual letters within the packet anyway to get past the system?

I suppose the Duke application has found a way to be unique, yet again. Yes, certainly list the names in this case, lol.

Just got the email invite to apply.

I doubt I will bother with this bad boy...at least it is going to the bottom of the stack.

Just got the email invite to apply.

I doubt I will bother with this bad boy...at least it is going to the bottom of the stack.

lol, such a common response with good ol' Duke.

Yea... this essay just floated to the bottom of my secondary pile. I was relaxing for a bit after submitting the amcas... but now it just got verified. Guess I'll start working on drafts for Duke now... but I don't think I have any idea where to start.

My life is interesting enough I guess... but it isn't exciting enough to have a real big moral quandary (for example). Guess I'll just have to dig deep and find something out

Oh and P.S.: been a long time forum lurker. Registered JUST so I could say how insane Duke's secondary is. But I guess its with good reason... I just wonder if they read all 5(+1) essays for all students...

Yea... this essay just floated to the bottom of my secondary pile. I was relaxing for a bit after submitting the amcas... but now it just got verified. Guess I'll start working on drafts for Duke now... but I don't think I have any idea where to start.

My life is interesting enough I guess... but it isn't exciting enough to have a real big moral quandary (for example). Guess I'll just have to dig deep and find something out

Oh and P.S.: been a long time forum lurker. Registered JUST so I could say how insane Duke's secondary is. But I guess its with good reason... I just wonder if they read all 5(+1) essays for all students...

lol. Welcome (officially) to SDN!

Haha, last year, I refused to complete the secondary, decided I would never have a chance and they would never read my essays, and stopped thinking about it. When I went home for thanksgiving break, my mom literally refused to feed me until I finished the monster...the only reason i completed it was because she was threatening to starve me. I got an interview invite ten hours later, and I was soooo glad I'd done it. Trust me, Duke is worth the pain...it's an amazing program.

Haha, last year, I refused to complete the secondary, decided I would never have a chance and they would never read my essays, and stopped thinking about it. When I went home for thanksgiving break, my mom literally refused to feed me until I finished the monster...the only reason i completed it was because she was threatening to starve me. I got an interview invite ten hours later, and I was soooo glad I'd done it. Trust me, Duke is worth the pain...it's an amazing program.

:laugh: great story! :D

When did you submit your primary? I'm wondering what the approximate delay is.

I don't get it. I doubt they read your essays in that short time. Does Duke have automatic interview invites for people with certain stats, or do they give an interview to anyone who bothers to submit the secondary.

I was confused by that too. I don't think the first scenario was the case for me (my stats were below average for Duke), and I don't think the latter is true either, since I know people who completed the secondary and didn't get an interview. But yeah...I had serious doubts about anyone having read my essays in 10 hours on a Sunday (the day before the deadline), especially since i was told at the interview that they have two people separately score your essays and your AMCAS before they make the decision to interview you. No idea, really...

reusing responses from last year?:

What do you guys think? I got an interview invite from here last year, and I don't plan on reusing all my responses because some things did change in the last year, but what about the things that haven't?

For those of you who think rationally: do you think they compare your responses from the previous years if you are a reapplicant? I don't see how your most humbling experience could have changed within a year, but then again, I don't know if I'm willing to risk having my app chucked into the chute because I didn't continue to intrigue them with a new scenario or improved definition of professionalism.

Duke is hands down the best med school, too bad I didn't get in last year :(

reusing responses from last year?:

What do you guys think? I got an interview invite from here last year, and I don't plan on reusing all my responses because some things did change in the last year, but what about the things that haven't?

For those of you who think rationally: do you think they compare your responses from the previous years if you are a reapplicant? I don't see how your most humbling experience could have changed within a year, but then again, I don't know if I'm willing to risk having my app chucked into the chute because I didn't continue to intrigue them with a new scenario or improved definition of professionalism.

Duke is hands down the best med school, too bad I didn't get in last year :(
The admissions dean at another top 10 medical school said they do NOT pull up the files of re-applicants. I don't know about Duke, but I really don't see why they would. I think your writing style probably improved over a year, so you might want to make some changes regardless.

Out of curiosity, do you think your background in research hurt you in your med school applications? Like you, I think I have much more research experience than clinical experience.

quick question... do most schools wait until your primary app has been verified before sending their secondary? because i've gotten a couple of secondaries (like duke) without having my primary verified, but i'm still waiting on a lot more

quick question... do most schools wait until your primary app has been verified before sending their secondary? because i've gotten a couple of secondaries (like duke) without having my primary verified, but i'm still waiting on a lot more
varies

Out of curiosity, do you think your background in research hurt you in your med school applications? Like you, I think I have much more research experience than clinical experience.

I don't know how it would have hurt me. I think my greatest pitfall last year was not stressing my clinical experiences quite as much as I should. I think I essentially talked too much about everything else in my life, and far too little about my clinical experience.

Obviously i'm no adcom, but if I was, I wouldn't hold something against someone if they were successful with it. However, I would definitely nix someone if they were lacking in essential qualities, like clinical maturity.

I haven't updated my MDapps forever ;( I'll get around to it soon, I promise.

I don't know how it would have hurt me. I think my greatest pitfall last year was not stressing my clinical experiences quite as much as I should. I think I essentially talked too much about everything else in my life, and far too little about my clinical experience.

Obviously i'm no adcom, but if I was, I wouldn't hold something against someone if they were successful with it. However, I would definitely nix someone if they were lacking in essential qualities, like clinical maturity.

I haven't updated my MDapps forever ;( I'll get around to it soon, I promise.
Well very few of the AdCom members are MD-PhD or have a background in research. I think sometimes they discourage people interested in research from applying, since they see their main role as producing physicians who treat patients. This is probably much much less of a concern at Duke.

I basically devoted my whole personal statement to talk about my clinical exposure, but I am using research as my selling point. I'm not sure if that's a mistake.

I basically devoted my whole personal statement to talk about my clinical exposure, but I am using research as my selling point. I'm not sure if that's a mistake.

hm, i tried to avoid using a lot of clinical exposure in my essays... i figured they didn't want to hear about stuff that a lot of people have done (plus my clinical stuff might be kind of weak [sour grapes?])

as a new member (see below my name), i was also going to ask how to create an mdapps, but i feel like that might be a forum-abusingly dumb question

hm, i tried to avoid using a lot of clinical exposure in my essays... i figured they didn't want to hear about stuff that a lot of people have done (plus my clinical stuff might be kind of weak [sour grapes?])

as a new member (see below my name), i was also going to ask how to create an mdapps, but i feel like that might be a forum-abusingly dumb question

http://www.mdapplicants.com/addprofile.php

Last edited:
I knew it'd be a tough secondary looking at the prompts from last year, but even with them staying exactly the same, it's a bit jarring, isn't it?

Can we get some numbering / formatting on the original post so it's easier for people to see what exactly the questions are at first glance? LOR requirements would be good too. Makes it convenient for future applicants' reference.

Well very few of the AdCom members are MD-PhD or have a background in research. I think sometimes they discourage people interested in research from applying, since they see their main role as producing physicians who treat patients. This is probably much much less of a concern at Duke.

I hate speculating because its completely unjustified. I will say that anyone who thinks someone who does research is across the board incapable of treating patients in a compassionate way, is doing the future of this nations healthcare system a real disservice... that's the least I could really say about someone as narrow minded as that.

Wow.. I should rush and finish this..

Duke is rolling rite? I wondering how many people have already submitted :scared:
No, they're non-rolling. No real rush , but its nice to get it off your back :cool:. time to start thinking about professionalism!!

Status
Not open for further replies.