2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The admissions committee is definitely meeting AT LEAST once more next week and they are planning on accepting a good number of students - I do not know exact numbers. I have classmates who were accepted in April and May last year so I think they still accept people later on as well.

:thumbup: I am so excited I can hardly stand it....it's going to be hard to relax this weekend :p

Members don't see this ad.

I like how my application was processed as complete on 8/20, and I never heard from this school again. I can't get myself to be offended though - when you're JHU you can treat people how ever you want.

I like how my application was processed as complete on 8/20, and I never heard from this school again. I can't get myself to be offended though - when you're JHU you can treat people how ever you want.

Did you ever call or email the admissions office? Mine was processed long ago and I interviewed in February.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat. I figure JHU will send out rejections w/ the final bunch. I'm not offended, most schools reject all at once rather than simply letting you know along the way.

I am so excited about Hopkins! I hope this thread gets moving again soon.

I am so excited about Hopkins! I hope this thread gets moving again soon.

Revisit's soon! At least, it feels soon. I've been looking for a place to live, trying to figure out if I should sell my car, and in other ways planning semi-furiously.

I'm wicked excited for this summer. Shorts, long luxurious days in lab, lemonade, exploring a new city. I think it will be amazing.

17 days left...

Good luck!! I am rooting for you to get that phone call.

Thanks SO much!!!! Tomorrow is the big day! :D

Revisit's soon! At least, it feels soon. I've been looking for a place to live, trying to figure out if I should sell my car, and in other ways planning semi-furiously.

I'm wicked excited for this summer. Shorts, long luxurious days in lab, lemonade, exploring a new city. I think it will be amazing.

17 days left...

I hope I get to join you! If not, please tell me how it went. The way the students were describing it, revisit sounds like a blast! I would be planning furiously if I were in your position as well. Congrats again :)

what is tomorrow? what decisions are expected to come out? how do we know?

what is tomorrow? what decisions are expected to come out? how do we know?

Evidently the committee is meeting tomorrow to discuss applicants. I know they will be discussing interviewees from Jan 22 because that is my interview day and I called ahead to make sure. It is my understanding that other Friday interview dates will be decided on tomorrow too, but I am not sure how far back they will go. It seems like they call the same day or within a couple days if you've been accepted, and if not, you receive waitlist and rejection decisions in the mail. To be sure, though, it is best to call the admissions office during their call-in hours and ask about your application specifically. They were very nice to me when I called :)
Best of luck!! :xf:

Evidently the committee is meeting tomorrow to discuss applicants. I know they will be discussing interviewees from Jan 22 because that is my interview day and I called ahead to make sure. It is my understanding that other Friday interview dates will be decided on tomorrow too, but I am not sure how far back they will go. It seems like they call the same day or within a couple days if you've been accepted, and if not, you receive waitlist and rejection decisions in the mail. To be sure, though, it is best to call the admissions office during their call-in hours and ask about your application specifically. They were very nice to me when I called :)
Best of luck!! :xf:

Just so you know, my committee meeting was on a Tuesday as well, and I didn't get the call until Friday night, so don't panic if you don't hear anything right away!! :luck::luck:

Just so you know, my committee meeting was on a Tuesday as well, and I didn't get the call until Friday night, so don't panic if you don't hear anything right away!! :luck::luck:

Thanks for letting me know!! Did people post acceptances before Friday on here when you were waiting? I was just wondering if it is safe to assume that if other people get a call today and I don't that it is either a WL or rejection. I am SO excited for today!!! I am going to stay glued to my phone :D
I loved my interview group so much- still speak to many of them daily on Facebook. Fingers crossed for us guys!!! I really hope many of us will end up classmates next year :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

not yet....I am sitting in class staring at my phone- staying positive!!! Gosh, I haven't wanted anything in my life as badly as I want this call...:xf:
Our lives can change profoundly in the next few hours...I am super excited to see who gets in :)
(as an aside, my phone just rang with a private number and my heart rate went up to about 200...*sigh*...random politicians enjoy tormenting me)

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am sort of new here. I had an interview at Hopkins in late Feb and know that my group will be discussed in early April and hear back in late April. I know this is a long wait, but Hopkins is my top choice so I will hang in there. :xf:
Does anyone know how many people they have already accepted??
I'm in the same boat as you, but don't have any details on acceptances so far. good luck to everyone hoping to hear good news in the coming month

not yet....I am sitting in class staring at my phone- staying positive!!! Gosh, I haven't wanted anything in my life as badly as I want this call...:xf:
Our lives can change profoundly in the next few hours...I am super excited to see who gets in :)
(as an aside, my phone just rang with a private number and my heart rate went up to about 200...*sigh*...random politicians enjoy tormenting me)

This may help a bit- when I was called, it wasn't from a private number but rather a typical Baltimore area code number. From what I've seen, most calls are made on Thursday and Friday nights so you may have a bit more waiting to do.

This may help a bit- when I was called, it wasn't from a private number but rather a typical Baltimore area code number. From what I've seen, most calls are made on Thursday and Friday nights so you may have a bit more waiting to do.

Thanks for the insight! I am keeping the hope alive :)
I asked a few people from my interview group and I haven't heard of any acceptances yet. I was really hoping it would be today, so that was a bit of a bummer. Ah well, no news is better than bad news, right? Maybe it'll be tomorrow :luck:
I did get some good news today, though. I was offered a spot on a Birthright trip to Israel for med students this summer!! Very excited about that...

Also, I really appreciate all the positive energy out there!! I have received TONS of PMs from people all over the country. It means the world to me to know how many people believe in me- quite inspiring, regardless of the outcome. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I was just trying to find the typical response dates on this thread. I know people are waiting to hear their decisions. If I interviewed on Feb. 18th, do you guys know when I should be hearing back? I heard on a previous post that it might be around the beginning of April, but was not sure.

Thanks

I interviewed that same week. They said that our group was supposed to be discussed somewhere around April 7-10.

spoke to the admissions office this morning asking about the january 21 22 interview groups. they said committee met yesterday on them and to expect decisions to come out in 1-2 weeks.

is it fair to assume that this time frame includes acceptances, waitlists and rejections? in other words, if one is accepted from this group, one might hear this week or in the next few days however waitlists and rejections will probably come by mail in the next 1-2 weeks?

spoke to the admissions office this morning asking about the january 21 22 interview groups. they said committee met yesterday on them and to expect decisions to come out in 1-2 weeks.

is it fair to assume that this time frame includes acceptances, waitlists and rejections? in other words, if one is accepted from this group, one might hear this week or in the next few days however waitlists and rejections will probably come by mail in the next 1-2 weeks?

That sounds right to me...people seem to estimate 1-2 weeks when waiting for anything by mail. I would venture to guess that phone calls will be made this week, or maybe I am just being hopeful :luck:

How exciting is it to know that the decision on our applications has already been made?!?!?

I have a feeling accepted people will get phone calls tomorrow....

can a current hopkins student (MSI) comment on how the new curriculum has been going? when i interviewed, GTS hadn't started yet. i've been digging through threads to find out more but haven't come up with much. i like how GTS sounds on paper, but i am curious to know what it's been like in practice. what kinks are there? is there still too much work? (some MSI's were complaining about the quantity of random assignments when i interviewed). what hours are you in class?

also, can you guys talk about safety and quality of life in baltimore? do first years living off campus feel like they're missing out on the social scene? do safety concerns keep you from doing what you might otherwise do for fun? what's it like in the wards in terms of malignancy and getting hands on experience? what's a good neighborhood to live in with good access to grocery stores, restaurants, transportation?

i can't make it to revisit and really want to love hopkins, but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm from current students. i know what i love (the curriculum on paper and the facilities), but i just read a lot of hopkins bashing on a lot of other threads. thanks guys

can a current hopkins student (MSI) comment on how the new curriculum has been going? when i interviewed, GTS hadn't started yet. i've been digging through threads to find out more but haven't come up with much. i like how GTS sounds on paper, but i am curious to know what it's been like in practice. what kinks are there? is there still too much work? (some MSI's were complaining about the quantity of random assignments when i interviewed). what hours are you in class?

also, can you guys talk about safety and quality of life in baltimore? do first years living off campus feel like they're missing out on the social scene? do safety concerns keep you from doing what you might otherwise do for fun? what's it like in the wards in terms of malignancy and getting hands on experience? what's a good neighborhood to live in with good access to grocery stores, restaurants, transportation?

i can't make it to revisit and really want to love hopkins, but there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm from current students. i know what i love (the curriculum on paper and the facilities), but i just read a lot of hopkins bashing on a lot of other threads. thanks guys

I'm just accepted not enrolled, but I could take pictures/tell you about revisit afterwards? I already offered for someone else who can't come to second look. PM me?

For the jan 22 and jan 21 dates anyone know how many spots are left (ie if there are still a bunch of acceptances they can give out). also what is the waitlist like this year? anything expected to come off?

SDN sucks. I wrote you a long reply, but it timed out and was lost.

Follow your heart.

I <3 Hopkins (not an M1, but likely attending). See my PM.

Anybody get a call today??

No...I haven't heard of any calls yet. I don't think we should read into it quite yet, though. Maybe it will be tomorrow like Tikka suggested. Keep the hope alive!! :luck::xf:

I am in the same boat. I figure JHU will send out rejections w/ the final bunch. I'm not offended, most schools reject all at once rather than simply letting you know along the way.

Same here. I wish schools let us know when they were done with interviews, though.

:xf::xf::xf:

I can't imagine it *not* being the day if they made decisions this week...Good Luck everyone!!! :D

Good luck guys :luck:...I didn't get my call till around 7pm Friday night, so keep those cell phones handy :).

All this waiting is stressing me out and I'm not waiting to hear anything!! :luck:

Awwww, thanks for the moral support ksmi :oops:

(I looked back on this thread to when you were accepted, and it seemed like you were just as anxious. I know that you know how we feel! I hope I have the same ending to my story :luck:)

Lol. Me too. I don't know any of you, but I'm cheering for you anyway.

Awwww, thanks for the moral support ksmi :oops:

(I looked back on this thread to when you were accepted, and it seemed like you were just as anxious. I know that you know how we feel! I hope I have the same ending to my story :luck:)

Yeah, I was super super anxious. But getting the call was awesome!! I hope it happens to you too!

I don't get it. They knew our outcomes on Tuesday. They've just been sitting in the office going "should we tell them yet?" "nah... give it a day or two." "is it time to tell them yet?" "Nah... let's go get lunch"
I'm just nervous for myself and even more nervous for violincuty... this just seems needlessly cruel.

Yeah, I was super super anxious. But getting the call was awesome!! I hope it happens to you too!

I think I would start screaming and then maybe cry a little as I begin to fully realize just how much that call impacted my life.

...on second thought, maybe it's better if I miss the call, that might not make the best impression :laugh: I am trying to stay positive!! Man, this is going to be a loooooooong day....

Last edited:
I don't get it. They knew our outcomes on Tuesday. They've just been sitting in the office going "should we tell them yet?" "nah... give it a day or two." "is it time to tell them yet?" "Nah... let's go get lunch"
I'm just nervous for myself and even more nervous for violincuty... this just seems cruel.

I am nervous for us too!!! I am going insane over here!! :scared:

I hope that is not what's going on...I can't imagine why it would be. They've all been pre-something when they were our age and know what it is like to wait for important phone calls. It has been my experience that medical schools really do not go out of their way to torture students- it's just a long process and some are more transparent than others about what's really going on. My guess is that they had multiple meetings this week and decided to make all the calls at once. I know they try to make them in the evenings because Dean Hicks likes to speak to the person and hear their reaction, but most people work during the day. I could be totally wrong here, but I would like to believe this to be true :luck:

I really hope I see you again at revisit!! :xf:

Someone PMed me from my interview group and told me that they got the call last night (and said that it was okay to share it with all of you). I remember speaking to her after the interview--I am SO excited for her!! :)

I am taking that to mean that I did not get in. It doesn't seem like they would call people from the same cohort on different days. I am still hoping for WL though, it's not over till it's over :D

At the end of the day, I feel really fortunate to have even had the opportunity to interview. My experience at Hopkins single-handedly changed my perspective on what I am looking for in a medical school and what I aspire to achieve in my career. I also was able to change my application at UCSD to include an MPH, which I would pursue at Hopkins if I got into that program. Hopkins is truly a sensational school, and I hope those who choose to go there really appreciate its uniqueness and the opportunities you have there. Congrats guys!!! :thumbup:

Yeah guys, I'm sorry. I'm at home right now for spring break and while I was away from the comp., my ******ed little brother decided to post that (It's cause I'm also waiting to hear back from jhu and have been telling my brother that acceptees get a call from dean hicks, etc). I've been a long-time lurker and created a sdn account just today.

Yeah guys, I'm sorry. I'm at home right now for spring break and while I was away from the comp., my ******ed little brother decided to post that (It's cause I'm also waiting to hear back from jhu and have been telling my brother that acceptees get a call from dean hicks, etc). I've been a long-time lurker and created a sdn account just today.

Little siblings, FTL.

Anyone else get calls? If we didn't, should we assume non-acceptance?

Status
Not open for further replies.