2009-2010 Loma Linda Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone struggling with the first two essays? I feel like the two questions overlap and don't know what to write that will set the questions apart. The things that I know about LLU is what makes the school attractive to me :p Also, how are you guys answering the third question w/o sounding so cliche?

Thanks for the help!

I hope this helps...
Q1.) How/What/From who did you hear about Loma Linda?
Q2.) Why do you like Loma Linda?
It's fine to overlap.

I have a question about Q4.) though...basically it asks why you feel it's relevant to have a moral education as well?

Members don't see this ad.

LXS17

I think Q4 also asks how the school's values and faith relate to the principles you carry and goals that you would accomplish as a doctor.

From their admissions brochure:

"The clinical instruction during the junior and senior years takes place primarily at Loma Linda University Medical Center, Jerry L. Pettis Memorial VA Medical Center, Riverside County Regional Medical Center, and White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles. Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, and Glendale Adventist Medical Center are also affiliated with the School of Medicine and are utilized for undergraduate and postgraduate clinical training."

I'm not sure if LLUSOM has any 1st year clinical programs in their curriculum... but I don't think so.

Can any current students tell me about the hospitals where most 3rd/4th years complete their rotations? And whether or not the patient populations are diverse? I'm interested in working with underserved and in expanding my spanish skills. I know there is Loma Linda University Medical Center, but where else?

Also, are there any good programs for first year students to get early clinical exposure?

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I be concerned if my AMCAS was verified on 7/22 and I still haven't received my secondary from Loma Linda?

Should I be concerned if my AMCAS was verified on 7/22 and I still haven't received my secondary from Loma Linda?

E-mail admissions, they are pretty quick to reply. You should have definitely received your secondary by now.

I added LLU like 2 weeks after you did and I got my secondaries last Friday. Perhaps they send their apps according to last names or something.

Hey everyone...
We just finished our first year here at LLU. I thought I take some time and let you guys know a little bit of how LLU medical school was.
First of all, there are many questions of how strict is LLU and if they will accept non-SDA. Yes, they do accept plenty of non-SDA Christians. There are even a few non-christians in our class. I would say about 40% of our class is non-SDA. The main thing LLU looks for when accepting students are those who are interested in the same values and principles of medicine as Loma Linda. Of course, LLU gives preference to SDA students since it is an SDA institution.
On the secondary application, LLU asks many questions about religion and has the students sign an agreement that says they will not drink, smoke, etc.
LLU does not go looking to make sure everyone keeps his or her promise. As a matter of fact, LLU does not even interfere with your personal life. There is a required chapel every wednesday. You are given few skips, and you don't have to go to chapel during test weeks. This really does not affect your studying because the chapel on wednesdays is during a time when you would otherwise be having lectures.
The schools and libraries are closed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. During the sabbath, most SDA spend time going to church and relaxing. No one is forced to observe the sabbath. No one is forced to attend church on saturday. The only irritation would be that the labs and libraries are closed during the sabbath.
Many people also wonder about the food LLU serves. LLU encourages vegetarian diet, but it does not force anyone to follow it. I would say majority of my class was non-vegetarian. The hospital cafeteria only serves vegetarian food, but there are plenty places outside the hospital where you can get all the meat you want. And No, you will not get in trouble for eating meat. Most SDA are not even vegetarian.
Caffeine is allowed in and out of class. If you want to drink caffeine to stay awake during your exams, then by all means go for it. We have students and professors who come in with coffee or energy drinks to class.
One way LLU differs from other medical schools is the atmosphere. Before each class and each exam, someone gives a prayer. Unlike other schools, LLU is not cut-throat. Medical students here share how they study and information that helped them to the whole class via email. In a stressful place like medical school, knowing my classmates are praying for me and are willing to help me was a big boost in my morale.
I'll add more later. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them the best I can.

Sounds like hell. Glad I'm not applying here. :laugh:

random question....

in the question regarding alcohol/drug use....for about the past 2 years i have given up drinking.....would it be better to simply answer "for the past year i have not done x,y,z" or "i have never used illicit drugs and for the past 2yrs i have abstained from the use of alcohol and tobacco products"

probably meaningless but just wondering....thanks

It would sound fishy if you just mention you haven't done drugs/alcohol for the past year or so... it's like saying you haven't had speeding tickets or committed crimes for the past year. But what about the time before that?? If you do this, you might put yourself to suspicion.
But if you explain the reasons why you left drugs and alcohol behind, that shows you've changed. And if your reasons are moral (as opposed to something like "so I can be healthier"), I think thats a plus.

Just my two cents.
random question....

in the question regarding alcohol/drug use....for about the past 2 years i have given up drinking.....would it be better to simply answer "for the past year i have not done x,y,z" or "i have never used illicit drugs and for the past 2yrs i have abstained from the use of alcohol and tobacco products"

probably meaningless but just wondering....thanks

Just to make sure - the status update e-mails they send aren't "complete" e-mails, right? I received the e-mail that says "No outstanding items", but none that specifically say "your application is complete".

No, it should be a complete email...
I received and completed secondary 7/21, and received following email 8/21...

LLU said:
This is to advise that all of your recommendations have been received and your file is now complete.

When your file has been reviewed, you will be notified of our decision by letter..

Hmm, I just received that 'complete' email today. Odd, I thought the status update with no outstanding items listed meant I was complete weeks ago.

Oh, well. Now for the waiting for interviews part...

Can any current students tell me about the hospitals where most 3rd/4th years complete their rotations? And whether or not the patient populations are diverse? I'm interested in working with underserved and in expanding my spanish skills. I know there is Loma Linda University Medical Center, but where else?

Also, are there any good programs for first year students to get early clinical exposure?

Thanks in advance. :)

You work at the University Hospital (not for profit, see's everyone that comes through the door), the VA, the Riverside and San Bernardino County hospitals (that's mostly "poh folks" and many, many "spanish speaking only" people)

If you want to work with the underserved, you've found a good school for that. If you want to expand your spanish, you've found the right school for that too - some of your clinics at the county hospitals will have days were you don't see a single patient who speaks english.

There is a free clinic where you can go and work 1st year . . . at least there was, and I haven't heard different

Members don't see this ad :)

Hmm, I just received that 'complete' email today. Odd, I thought the status update with no outstanding items listed meant I was complete weeks ago.

Oh, well. Now for the waiting for interviews part...

Yeah I just got the actual 'complete' e-mail a few days ago as well. My last LOR was entered into AMCAS on the 20th of August.

Has anyone received an interview or heard any hint of interviews??? :confused:

I haven't heard anything about an interview. My application has been complete since July.

A couple people have said that non-SDA schools get interviewed in December. Is that really true? Other schools issue acceptances in December. Does anyone know how many they interview per acceptance? I mean, if you get an interview, are you pretty much guaranteed a spot since it is December?

same here.. still no news.. it would be nice to hear from them (of course about about an interview that it ;)) :luck:

my friend is jewish... conservative
should he not bother applying to Loma?

I called Loma Linda today. I was checking to see if they had received my letters because on their website it wasn't updated. They have my letters and the receptionist said that they start inviting for interviews at the end of September. :xf:

I called Loma Linda today. I was checking to see if they had received my letters because on their website it wasn't updated. They have my letters and the receptionist said that they start inviting for interviews at the end of September. :xf:

From last years thread, yeah it looks like end of September but mostly SDAs, then the non-SDAs around october-january. They start considering Atheists once its March and they are saying their prayers

From last years thread, yeah it looks like end of September but mostly SDAs, then the non-SDAs around october-january. They start considering Atheists once its March and they are saying their prayers

:lol:.

Unless the atheists are ahead of the game and start praying now ;)

This is SDN always one step ahead of the pack.

This might be surprising, but there's actually a lot of overlap between Judaism and SDA. Living by the lifestyle expectations of the school probably wouldn't be a rocky transition for a conservative Jewish person.

Seems pretty quiet around here. Anyone interviewed yet? :)

I'm finally complete though at least. LLU took almost 3 weeks to finalize my LOR after receiving everything else in my application.

Aw shucks got an e-mail from LLU - "Integrating Christian Faith" with some info links. That's nice and all but they got my heart racing for a second!

I got a strange email from LLU today. Does anyone know if these means anything good or bad? The part at the end about looking forward to seeing me at Loma Linda seems like they plan on interviewing me or something, but I don't know.

Dear long,

Thank you for your interest in Loma Linda University. You will be hearing more from us soon!

If you have additional questions about the University, just “Ask LLU!”which allows you to receive answers to many of your questions about Loma Linda University and more. Ask today at http://ask.llu.edu.

I look forward to seeing you here at Loma Linda University.

Rick Williams, PhD
Vice Chancellor, Enrollment Management & Student Services
Loma
Linda University

I got a strange email from LLU today. Does anyone know if these means anything good or bad? The part at the end about looking forward to seeing me at Loma Linda seems like they plan on interviewing me or something, but I don't know.

Dear long,

Thank you for your interest in Loma Linda University. You will be hearing more from us soon!

If you have additional questions about the University, just “Ask LLU!”which allows you to receive answers to many of your questions about Loma Linda University and more. Ask today at http://ask.llu.edu.

Rick Williams, PhD
Loma
Linda University

Hmmm...I'm not sure that means anything because I got a very similar email back in July, with a few small differences, before I had even sent in my secondary application. So I think it could just be more information about the school, but I could be wrong. Good luck with your app!

I received that same email this morning and was wondering the same thing...

when were you guys complete? i wonder when they start sending in invites here?! :confused:

My application was complete on August 13th. I just received that email an hour ago...

Hmmm...I'm not sure that means anything because I got a very similar email back in July, with a few small differences, before I had even sent in my secondary application. So I think it could just be more information about the school, but I could be wrong. Good luck with your app!

I just got the same email......:confused:

Ditto. Maybe this is their way of saying, "Sorry we're taking so long, no, we haven't forgotten you, check out this website to kill time while you're waiting"? They are taking a long time to get started on this...

And OneMCAT, I had everything in on August 12th, with an offical 'complete' email coming September 2nd.

Yeah, then I have no idea. Sorry if I confused you guys. I haven't received this exact email yet (my secondary got delayed), but like I said I received a similar email...so I'm not sure what this new email means. :confused:

Dear long,

Rick Williams, PhD
Loma
Linda University

Yea, I got the same email here too. Haven't received the secondary yet, but my primary was verified in late July...interesting....:confused:

Yeah, then I have no idea. Sorry if I confused you guys. I haven't received this exact email yet (my secondary got delayed), but like I said I received a similar email...so I'm not sure what this new email means. :confused:

snitch, what was the syntax of the email you received back in July? I believe the point that sticks out most here is the line "looking forward to seeing you". Did your letter contain that phrase?

Yea, I got the same email here too. Haven't received the secondary yet, but my primary was verified in late July...interesting....:confused:

I just got this email too. But honestly, I think we're overanalyzing. If LHK got the email too without sending in his secondary yet, I don't think it really means anything. :rolleyes:

I just got this email too. But honestly, I think we're overanalyzing. If LHK got the email too without sending in his secondary yet, I don't think it really means anything. :rolleyes:

i agree. It does seem somewhat irresponsible though, as the phrase "looking forward to seeing you" is unnecessarily vague for this type of an email.

snitch, what was the syntax of the email you received back in July? I believe the point that sticks out most here is the line "looking forward to seeing you". Did your letter contain that phrase?

This is the email from July (before submission of my secondary):

"Thank you for your interest in Loma Linda University. To learn more about the
University, I invite you to utilize some of our newest online resources:
- Learn more about the University and the program area of interest by visiting our
new digital viewbook, http://www.llu.edu/llu/viewbook.
If you have additional questions about the University, just “Ask LLU!” Our new
system allows you to receive answers to many of your questions about Loma Linda
University and more. Ask today at http://ask.llu.edu.
Rick Williams, PhD
Loma Linda University"

This is the email from July (before submission of my secondary):

"Thank you for your interest in Loma Linda University. To learn more about the
University, I invite you to utilize some of our newest online resources:
- Learn more about the University and the program area of interest by visiting our
new digital viewbook, http://www.llu.edu/llu/viewbook.
If you have additional questions about the University, just “Ask LLU!” Our new
system allows you to receive answers to many of your questions about Loma Linda
University and more. Ask today at http://ask.llu.edu.
Rick Williams, PhD
Loma Linda University"

Thanks snitch, I guess that answers the questions about that email... got excited there for a minute too. =(

I got it too...

I submitted my secondary 3 weeks ago, and got all excited when I saw the email in the inbox. Alas! It means nothing...:rolleyes:

i called....it means nothing...it wasnt even sent from the admissions department. Dont get your hopes up lol

I'd rather they just not send me anything...Im going to be REALLY upset if I don't get an interview now:thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.